PSN update 4.31 breaking systems

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Hate how the PS store is slower and clunkier than it was before, but that's a non issue for me at this point.

I am so glad that I don't have to deal with this crap on PC. If an update bricks it I just reinstall the operating system and restore files from backup. There is no need to update the bios with the O/S and bios updates are foolproof nowadays anyway (Just run a .exe and it does everything for you with no interaction needed)

boy am I glad I keep refusing to update it.

Much as inFamous 2 insists on me to update, I shall not. Thanks for the warning matey!

And people cite this stuff not happening as an advantage of consoles...

TBH that's probably a bit far with the email. Too overly emotional for my liking. I'd personally just outline that they bricked your PS3 with an update that should have been properly tested, and that you would like compensation or a fix or you will be taking your business elsewhere. Honestly, they probably don't care about your backlog of games they've already made money off you for - just that your future purchases will no longer be with them. Being overly emotional is just unnecessary IMO, and comes across to me as a little silly.
They made a mistake. Cool. Let them know, and that you want something done about it, but no need to go ape over it, unless they refuse to help. Until then its an honest mistake that they would like to fix. Its like you bumping into someone and knocking what they're carrying out of their hands, and them throwing a tantrum over it and demanding you help them. You made a mistake, and you were intending to help them, and as such that sort of reaction just comes across as a little rude. If you refused to help them, then it could be understood, but until then its a little much.

Mimsofthedawg:

Ghostwise:
Cool story bro. I'm on the other side of the fence. I just left Microshaft after my live account was hacked last year and over 300 dollars stolen from me and spent of FIFA 12. That is fucking bullshit. Sony got hacked but no one had money stolen from them. This is a rampant hack that isn't even trying to be stopped because EA has profited over 40 million dollars off of it from the Xbox breaches. My money was returned to me sure....after 3 months and my account being banned for as long. I got a year of live out of it too. yay......
Oh....it happened to my brothers account a few weeks later too lol. He had no money in his bank though so he didn't get robbed as much as me.

Couldn't be happier with moving to the ps3.

Welcome to Superiority brother.

Now we just have to work on you and the PC... lol.

I was a PC gamer for many a year. Not a fan of sitting in a computer chair or with a laptop on my lap at my age any more though ha. Don't like dicking around with settings and whatnot either. I just like sitting on the couch, popping something in and going at it on my big HD tv with a controller in my hand. :D Still have an awesome pc and laptop though. I use them for more important things though, like posting on The Escapist. :D

kman123:
boy am I glad I keep refusing to update it.

Much as inFamous 2 insists on me to update, I shall not. Thanks for the warning matey!

Not missing much, it'll only allow you acces to those user created missions.
Which mostly are a drag.....*but needed to Platinum this sucker*
Though the throwback platform levels were fun sometimes.
Dunno who did those though....

That kind of e-mail isn't going to get you dick.

When was 4.31? I'm pretty sure I've updated recently but have only had minor issues, and PS3 always seems to have niggles.

Captcha: Have Courage. Well at least Captcha is sympathetic.

Owyn_Merrilin:
They pulled crap by not thoroughly testing it on all (official; if the OP is running an aftermarket hard drive or something without telling us, that's a different kettle of fish) versions of the PS3. There's, what, six, counting variations in hard drive size? 12, tops? There's no excuse for having that major of a problem with that limited of a target platform. Especially not when the "versions" are all the same system with extremely minor variations. And anyway, that's not why my post was so hostile. It came off as hostile because I was thinking he was one of the many people on this site who defend the industry pretty much no matter what they do, like that guy in the thread about Sony's reaction to people running homebrew on their systems who was taking the industry line about how you can't own a copy of software, how it has to be licensed. You spend enough time explaining in to people in detail how and why that kind of thing is not only wrong, but against their own best interests as consumers and an attack on their basic rights of ownership, and you start to lose patience with people coming in and spouting the same old lines.

Heck, even though he's /not/ one of the ones directly saying that stuff, this post shows a pretty similar attitude towards it.

Unless they were to test the patch on 100000 different systems under every single scenario after every minor bug fix then something was going to creep through the gaps.

Bugs and glitches are not something that can instantly be identified with one console which can be repaired with the wave of a magic wand. They probably did test the patch extensively, but didn't use enough consoles to identify that the patch broke SOME consoles.

Why don't you wait until they implement a fix and then disconnect your PS3? There. No more broken updates.

Lol that was freaking hilarious, just like this thread :)

I particulary love that bit where he complains about sony and then says he will go with MICROSOFT. LOL.

A Smooth Criminal:

Owyn_Merrilin:
They pulled crap by not thoroughly testing it on all (official; if the OP is running an aftermarket hard drive or something without telling us, that's a different kettle of fish) versions of the PS3. There's, what, six, counting variations in hard drive size? 12, tops? There's no excuse for having that major of a problem with that limited of a target platform. Especially not when the "versions" are all the same system with extremely minor variations. And anyway, that's not why my post was so hostile. It came off as hostile because I was thinking he was one of the many people on this site who defend the industry pretty much no matter what they do, like that guy in the thread about Sony's reaction to people running homebrew on their systems who was taking the industry line about how you can't own a copy of software, how it has to be licensed. You spend enough time explaining in to people in detail how and why that kind of thing is not only wrong, but against their own best interests as consumers and an attack on their basic rights of ownership, and you start to lose patience with people coming in and spouting the same old lines.

Heck, even though he's /not/ one of the ones directly saying that stuff, this post shows a pretty similar attitude towards it.

Unless they were to test the patch on 100000 different systems under every single scenario after every minor bug fix then something was going to creep through the gaps.

Bugs and glitches are not something that can instantly be identified with one console which can be repaired with the wave of a magic wand. They probably did test the patch extensively, but didn't use enough consoles to identify that the patch broke SOME consoles.

Did you not read the part where this is a console with an extremely limited number of hardware variations? That excuse flies with PCs. It doesn't fly with consoles. There aren't 100 variations, let alone 100,000.

Rancid0ffspring:

Try also searching for evidence the world is flat... I bet you'll find some.

ah yeah, XBox having problems with firmware is all a conspiracy, baby!

It's pretty easy to find apologetics, too. The best part is, I didn't have to search.

Zachary Amaranth:

Rancid0ffspring:

Try also searching for evidence the world is flat... I bet you'll find some.

ah yeah, XBox having problems with firmware is all a conspiracy, baby!

It's pretty easy to find apologetics, too. The best part is, I didn't have to search.

Maybe it's te fact it's gone 2 AM... Maybe it's the fact that I am drunk. Hell, maybe it's the fact that it's 02:18 in the morning and I'm a wee bit merry....

By wee bit merry I do mean pretty drunk....

Have I complained about Xbox firmware? I'm ok with receiving quotes

Otherwise I think I have misunderstood your comment and do require further explanation

Mstroker:
This is a copy of my scatheing email to sony, of which I am sure I am not the only person who has expressed these types of frustration over the last two pathetic excuses that sony is calling firm ware updates.

"Sony, I have been with your company since the playstation 1, I owned the playstation 2, a psp, a vita, a playstation 2 slim, a ps3, a ps3 slim. I have bought over $2,000 in Playstation 2 games ALONE. I have nearly $1,500 in Play station 3 games. YOU, released an update that broke countless peoples systems, YOU released another update that broke MY system that I BOUGHT, and paid MY hard earned money for when the ps3 launched I bought it without hesitation. How can you possibly feel alright doing this? FIX IT, or I will take the thousands of dollars worth of sony stuff I have and throw it straight in the trash, if this problem is not fixed I WILL NOT BE BUYING THE PS4, I WILL TAKE MY BUISINESS TO MICROSOFT. I have been with this company through thick and thin, and countless mistakes on YOUR PART. I don't buy your products to be denied service.

Get your shit together sony, or I, and countless other customers will take our business else where.

Thank you, XXXXX."

I am very, VERY strongly considering getting another xbox, the saddest part is everything in that email is true.

Has anyone else had to deal with this crap?

Ok, lets tone down the rage issue. I'm not scolding you just merely trying to help you. Now due to the fact that you stated you googled this and found other users with the same issue (i did as well but i also found...)

A. Fix.

Yeah, just found a fix for it.

Just replace the HDD. Lots of you tube vids and threads for this. It's the same process for fixing a YLOD system.

Thats it. Replace the hard-drive, make sure you have a copy of an update on a usb. The system will require this when it boots. Then take your old HDD, connect to pc. Grab your game saves, put on new HDD. There ya go. Simple. You won't be paying Sony to fix it, and HDD's are cheap now. You can make it better than before. I understand it's annoying and a pain, but this is a fix that is EXTREMELY SIMPLE.

Also with a very minimal amount of google searching, you can get a 200gb HDD for about 30 bucks. So 30 bucks, and about 10 minutes later your ps3 will work again.

Rancid0ffspring:

Maybe it's te fact it's gone 2 AM... Maybe it's the fact that I am drunk. Hell, maybe it's the fact that it's 02:18 in the morning and I'm a wee bit merry....

Otherwise I think I have misunderstood your comment and do require further explanation

An apologist is someone who defends an institution, usually a religious institution, often in modern parlance blindly so.

Your implication placing Xboxes getting bricked by firmware updates on par with conspiracy theories sure sounds like apologetics. It doesn't sound like, nor did I indicate it was complaining about firmware. As my statement revolved around the fact that it can and does also happen to XBoxes, it would seem you believe that comparable to the notion of a flat earth, though it's not only happened but been proactively addressed by Microsoft in at least that one instance.

The notion of switching systems because of something that can and has happened to both consoles in question remains ludicrous, and it having happened is not akin to the flat earth "theory."

Unless, of course, you believe Microsoft and the Lamestream media is in on it as well.

If there is anything additional you wish to ask me about, feel free.

Zachary Amaranth:

Rancid0ffspring:

An apologist is someone who defends an institution, usually a religious institution, often in modern parlance blindly so.

Your implication placing Xboxes getting bricked by firmware updates on par with conspiracy theories sure sounds like apologetics. It doesn't sound like, nor did I indicate it was complaining about firmware. As my statement revolved around the fact that it can and does also happen to XBoxes, it would seem you believe that comparable to the notion of a flat earth, though it's not only happened but been proactively addressed by Microsoft in at least that one instance.

The notion of switching systems because of something that can and has happened to both consoles in question remains ludicrous, and it having happened is not akin to the flat earth "theory."

Unless, of course, you believe Microsoft and the Lamestream media is in on it as well.

If there is anything additional you wish to ask me about, feel free.

My sincerest apologies. I have figured out the source of my confusion now. I had intended to quote and respond to a different post.

"You may not have a system that has been affected by this, but I searched for about an hour yesterday and found that there are ALOT of people who have been affected in the last couple days by this."

This is what I was responding to with my evidence regarding the earth being flat.

EDIT: Not that I believe that the earth is flat. However, off topic, did you know that the people who do believe the world is flat, believe that the stars are holes in a sheet above the world?

I hate it when a bug fucks things for everyone. One time Chrome a bug that rendered it useless. I had to spend a few min installing the previous version before it was usable again. Yay PC Master Race.

Rancid0ffspring:

My sincerest apologies. I have figured out the source of my confusion now. I had intended to quote and respond to a different post.

"You may not have a system that has been affected by this, but I searched for about an hour yesterday and found that there are ALOT of people who have been affected in the last couple days by this."

This is what I was responding to with my evidence regarding the earth being flat.

EDIT: Not that I believe that the earth is flat. However, off topic, did you know that the people who do believe the world is flat, believe that the stars are holes in a sheet above the world?

Ah. D'accord. I was pretty sure it was meant as a comparison, anyway, to demonstrate how one could find bunk theories.

Which is true. My favourite is still the 9/11 "fire can't melt steel" people.

Though the lengths to which Flat Earthers go to assert a cover up is amazing.

And the term "cover up" is kind of funny when you consider there's a sheet above the world. *rimshot*

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here