Which are better, Let's Plays where the person is new, and we're seeing their reaction to fresh things, or Let's Plays where the player knows a lot about the game?
Blind runs, because they give an honest impression on how hard/confusing/good the game is to a random person.
5.8% (6)
5.8% (6)
Blind runs, because they can lead to more comedy when the player doesn't know what to expect next.
50.5% (52)
50.5% (52)
Blind runs, because people who know too much about a game tend to just end up explaining it to us.
6.8% (7)
6.8% (7)
Rehearsed runs, because they let you see how fun a game is when you play it well, and can add incentive to pick up the game.
3.9% (4)
3.9% (4)
Rehearsed runs, because then you can see more about the game, and more hidden secrets or goodies.
12.6% (13)
12.6% (13)
Rehearsed runs, because they can simply show you a story to a game you can't or haven't played without inexperience of another player getting in the way of that.
13.6% (14)
13.6% (14)
Blind runs, simply because I prefer them.
2.9% (3)
2.9% (3)
Rehearsed runs, simply because I prefer them.
3.9% (4)
3.9% (4)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Blind or not, what kind of Let's Plays are better?

Title pretty much says it all.

I was watching this Let's Play of Jurassic Park Trespasser by a Youtuber named awesome24712, and it's really good. I reccomend you guys watch it.

But what struck me is how he knows the game so well. He actually heat-seeks onto weapons, knowing where they all are, shows bugs and Easter eggs, and generally walks us through what's going to come next.

I really don't like this to be honest; I feel like he's giving a tour, not showing us the story of a game.

And so, with this in mind, I made this thread. Let's gauge the Escapist's temperature on the matter, shall we? What do you guys think?

Depends on the game and the LPer.
For example, anyone doing a blind Dark Souls Let's Play deserves to be castrated and fed to the dogs, unless they've mastered Demon's Souls first.

But, there are exceptions. I've started watching Cry plays Lucius recently. Good fun.

The best kind of Lets Players are the ones that essentially role-play in their games. The ones that really get into it and make the game an experience for not just the player, but the viewer. Much like a TV show.

Some of my favorites are
:TheShadowCookie
:Damo2986
:Linus117
:Nagidal146
:Northernlion
:Samyoulonline
:TheZemalf

Also Jefmajor & TheRPGMinx can be really fun sometimes.

An enormous majority of the people who do blind let's plays are completely fucking awful at whatever game they're playing, and no one likes watching someone get stuck for 30 minutes on an incredibly easy to solve puzzle from your perspective.

Also you actually need to be funny/interesting enough for someone to actually care, when it comes to just essentially recording everything you're doing in the game.

The best Let's Plays are ones that give special background info about the game, or show off secrets, and are properly edited. Also properly recorded (no horribly shitty camcorder-pointed-at-TV let's plays, no UNREGISTERED HYPERCAM 2, no static-y mic with popping noises), and the person in question usually is better suited to have a script.

It is exceedingly rare that someone is funny and/or interesting enough for an unscripted let's play. Also learning to enunciate, and not speak in a goddamned monotone for the entire LP.

I don't really watch many video LPs in the first place but whether it's video or screenshot, I think rehearsed is definitely the way to go. I don't really see the point in watching someone wander around lost inside a game and bringing nothing new to the party when I could just do the same thing by playing the game myself.

Depends on the LP'r.

On one hand, if it's a game I really like. It's enjoyable to watch people's reactions to the various stuff that happens in the game.

On the other hand, there are those times in which they get stuck for a really long time, and I find myself wanting to yell the solution to them. Even though they can't hear me via a pre-recorded video. :/

I prefer LPs of games that the LPer is intimately familiar with, to the point that they provide insight that that would likely go unnoticed otherwise. See: Scorchy's KotOR II one on lparchive. Lots of wonderful little nuggets in that one.

Also, I tend to only follow LPs of games I've already played and am very familiar with myself.

I've never watched a Let's Play with any intention other than getting a specific achievement or item, easter egg etc, so yeah I prefer it when they know what they are doing instead of watching them die in the same section 8 times before they stumble upon what I'm after.

It depends on the game and the LPer. Some games work well with crazy blind runs and some basically require practiced runs. I would rather play Dark Souls myself than watch some guy try to figure it out.

I vote for the other option that does not exist right now.

Also, give some love to written LP's. Those are so much fun, especially the ones on the Nuzlocke forums. So hilarious.

Not, if I wanted to see someone suck at a game I'd play it myself. On the rare occasion I watch an LP it's to see how the game is meant to be played, from extras to kicking ass. I also hate comedy ones, they're never funny. At least having fun facts about the game are interesting.

Only watch them if the person is humorous and it usually turns out better on a blind play.
But if I want to see solid gameplay/solutions then someone blabering over it is just irritating, show the moves and shut your trap.

I prefer it if the Let's Player has actually had some experience with the game before, simply because it can be extremely frustrating to watch someone stumble their way through a game they've never played. I also like it when the person playing can also critique the game in-depth or even teach me a bit about it (like development trivia, not just Easter eggs), which they can't do as much on a blind run. I want the commentary to be about the game, not just them chattering away about random crap and occasionally reacting to the game.

Mikennemonic is one of my favorites. He makes LP's on games like Magicka which are (to my knowledge mostly) blind, at least 99% of the time. His LP on SCP-087b was amazing.

It wasn't blind, but the way he lovingly mocks the bullshit jump-scares the game has is the best thing ever. A guy not being scared by a horror game, but mocking it when everyone else is screaming while playing it is rare, but the way his sarcasm works just makes it.

Wow, I didn't know that you could play as a wacky waving inflatible arm flailing tube man in Jurassic Park.

Blind runs can still be informative whilst being comical, I think rehearsed runs are good for walkthroughs but generally not great for entertainment. Unless it's speedrunning. ^^

I always prefer two people doing the Let's Play, since it just feels lonely and awkward watching just one guy talking to himself.

Best would be if one (the one playing it) have been experienced with the game before, and the other one haven't. So you get both the "here's a bunch of secret" and the "what the hell was that?" things in there.

depends on the LPer and the game watching a guy try to figure out a puzzle most viewers figured out 5 minutes ago is really painfull but watching someone encountering and solving new puzzles has a charm of its own.

I usually prefer rehearsed runs, because I like to see more or less everything there is to a game I'm watching a LP of since chances are, if I'm watching a video about it I'm not going to play it for myself (and wasn't going to in the first place). Besides it scares me how infuriated I become with people who are worse at videogames than me, especially when they blame their own incompetence on the game. Obviously that's kind of hypocritical, since I too am pretty shit at videogames, but at least I don't make youtube videos of me getting angry at them.
That said, my approval or disapproval of a specific LP is more likely to be connected to the character of the LP'er and its production value. As a rule of thumb most of the LP's (but not all) not coming from the LP subsection of the Something Awful forums fail to hit a spark with me.
P.S. Another rather awesome Trespasser LP

silver wolf009:

I was watching this Let's Play of Jurassic Park Trespasser by a Youtuber named awesome24712, and it's really good. I reccomend you guys watch it.

ResearchIndicates did it better. Way, way better.

But then, RI's Trespasser is the gold standard of video LPs.

Anywho, in response to the question, blind is terrible. Just bad. If I'm watching an LP, I'd rather see someone who is skilled in the game, so anything s/he points out is properly informed.

If the LP is trying to be funny, a non blind run usually provides better jokes too, I find.

EDIT: The post above me provides the intro. Watch it. Wonder why anybody else would bother making an LP again, because it's been won. Also RI has a ridiculously sexy voice.

I don't really mind as long as the LPer is immersed in what he does, giving some more emotional feedback panicky screams or victorious laughter, makes it far more enjoyable.

Simonism451:

That said, my approval or disapproval of a specific LP is more likely to be connected to the character of the LP'er and its production value. As a rule of thumb most of the LP's (but not all) not coming from the LP subsection of the Something Awful forums fail to hit a spark with me.

[snip]

You mention that you generally don't care for SA LPs, then post an SA LP. I like your style, good sir. I like your style.

JEBWrench:

Simonism451:

That said, my approval or disapproval of a specific LP is more likely to be connected to the character of the LP'er and its production value. As a rule of thumb most of the LP's (but not all) NOT coming from the LP subsection of the Something Awful forums fail to hit a spark with me.

[snip]

You mention that you generally don't care for SA LPs, then post an SA LP. I like your style, good sir. I like your style.

Double negatives don't make me seem not too dumb, don't they?

Captcha: "nice job"
The Captcha gets it

Hands down researched Let's Plays.
I honestly think that one of the shining examples of this is "Two Best Friends Play"; granted they've done some straight up blind runs but they're playing those up for comedy. Whereas they've gone through some horror games like Resident Evil 2 where they pretty much know where everything is and instead of the (imo) stupid rantings and screamings of most blind Let's Players. They can actually throw in some really good commentary because they know the game/series so well.

That's the one thing that really bothers me about why some Let's Players like GameGrumps have gotten so popular. Just screaming into the microphone and making inane sounds just grates my nerves beyond belief and really doesn't require much effort. Sure if you enjoy that kind of schlock, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with liking schlock, just don't treat it like it is grade A material.

It depends on the gamer I think.

For example I have never done LPs myself because I find some games with finicky controls like Assasins Creed get me frustrated very easily, and I become quite vocally displeased with the game in those situations. Like when you tell Altair, or Ezio, or Connor to jump to the next building 4 feet away and he flings himself off the top of the building randomly to his death.

I have seen LPers like that (PewDiePie is the big example of that type of LPer) and to me there is nothing worse watching an LP where the LPer starts swearing every two seconds or worse shrieking like that german kid who smashed his keyboard on youtube.
It's really really horrible.

I understand the frustration because I get like that with some games (Like AC as I said) when the game does things you haven't told it to do. But when you are watching and LP and the LPer is getting all frustrated?
All it does is annoy the watcher. It is worse if it is an LP of something like Pokemon, where there isn't really a whole lot to get frustrated at.

Obviously that isn't really a problem with a SS LP.

If the gamer is a fairly calm sort of person, with a nice sounding voice like InfernoCanuck or Quill18 (both on Youtube and both canadian weirdly) then blind LPs can be fun to watch. It can be amusing to watch them die and go "oops I fluffed that up lol."
And I said with SS LPs it isn't really an issue.

Sometimes it's good to have an LP doing it if he/she knows the game inside out because it can teach you how to play the game better.

Only point in doing a blind LP if it's a fairly linear game. I find people trying to blind LP puzzle/horror/DARK SOULS games are fucking terrible at it.

The only Let's Play that I watch is Spoiler Warning, by Shamus Young and his friends. It isn't blind, but it isn't rehearsed either. It's basically an extremely long nitpicking session. I would highly recommend it, it's very funny and can be quite insightful.

Yeah, I prefer this kind to going in blind or being plain stupid.

I would say commentary is more important then playing blind or not.
Miles923's Channel "YoVideogames" is a good example as in his House of the Dead Special and in Transformers: Fall of Cybertron.

Depends on the game, depends on the LPer and depends on whether I played the game or not.

I prefer blind runs when the game is hard and I've played it before, when I know what to expect and the player doesn't. Watching people have the same problems as me, or worse, just entertains me a whole lot. But it has to be properly edited of course.

A rehearsed LP, maybe with post-commentary, is when I want to see someone master a game in a way I never managed to do. All in all it depends on many factors and I don't mind much what kind of LP it is as long as it's entertaining.

Blind LPs can be fun, but they only work at their peak for either horror games (where the LPer is still working for comedic effect, as opposed to say, Voidburger's general policy of LP'ing an actually scary game with subtitles only) or really terrible ones. If you're going to do a blind LP for any reason however, you seriously need to consider heavy editing.

The best LPs (IMO) come from people who know the game well enough to make watching someone play it not be a chore, and they will also probably have the most interesting things to say about it since they have lots of experience with the title.

HC Bailly is especially good at this since he's good enough at most of the titles he plays that even for something grueling like Final Fantasy II, he can play it in a way that doesn't make you automatically hate it. He's also good enough that for the most part, he's not offscreen grinding either. He also doesn't ruin the fun of watching somebody else play the game by, for example, exploiting Vanish-Doom in FFVI or the ability to get the Lionheart early in Final Fantasy VIII.

He's also not just funny, but fun. Some LPers, like say, the Tipping Forties, can become insufferable with their cynicism, but HC Bailly is always having fun. I was already like Chrono Cross, but his LP of it is a fun experience in and of itself.

For me it depends entirely on the LPer. I don't really care whether the person is playing blind or not. I care about whether they have something interesting to say on the way through their game.

Both can be awesome, and I honestly can't say that I prefer either one over the other.

For rehearsed, AccountingNightmare's LPs of the DMC series are awesomely fun to watch, because she knows the games like the proverbial back of her hand, so she can point out all the secrets and make the games look easy even on the hardest modes; this is a series that's known for being hard, btw.

For blind LPs, Halloween4545 and Necroscope86 both put out some fun LPs that are blind, and yep, it's fun to watch them die horrible deaths through not knowing the game. :)

Redingold:
The only Let's Play that I watch is Spoiler Warning, by Shamus Young and his friends. It isn't blind, but it isn't rehearsed either. It's basically an extremely long nitpicking session. I would highly recommend it, it's very funny and can be quite insightful.

Yeah, I prefer this kind to going in blind or being plain stupid.

JOSH, JUST DROP THE DAMN INCINERATOR ALREADY!

*cough*

I love Spoiler Warning too. -.-

OT: I generally prefer it when informed participants are commenting over a rehearsed or pre-recorded playthrough of the game. I feel you have a chance to get the most information about the game and its story that way.

I like the Achievement Hunter lets play. Those guys are hilarious and are horrible at games.

I'm leaning more toward rehearsed runs if I played the game. I just find it frustrating to know everything about the game and the person playing doesn't.

bladester1:
I like the Achievement Hunter lets play. Those guys are hilarious and are horrible at games.

I don't know, Ray seems rather good at all the games they play.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked