Best Licensed Game

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The reputation of licensed games for low-quality budgetware is well deserved, but occasionally you get a game that goes against the grain and really does something great with the setting. I feel the measure of a truly good licensed game is that it would have a solid fighting/exploration/whatever engine even without the setting. What's the best one you've played?

I'm certain the first response will be Batman Arkham Asylum, so only one of those allowed.

Batman Arkham Asylum (mwhahahahaha)

Oh fuck you lol, the Arkham games were the first that came to mind when I saw the title

Hmm War For Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron are awesome games, that's about it I think, licensed games usually suck

Original Golden eye for the N64.
Played that way too much. Even got every single cheat code (Back then achievements had value :p).

Take me down to Arkam City, where the night is dark and the style is gritty.
Taaaaaaaaaaaake Meeeeeeeeeeeee Hooooooooooooooomeee!!!!!!!!

(Sorry, but I had to do this :P)

I'll throw in a vote for Batman: Arkham City as well.

Although Spiderman 2 for the gamecube was also quite fun.

Either The Walking Dead or Arkham City. Depends on preference of gameplay or story, I haven't quite decided which I think is better.

Do Star Wars games count? Because if they do, I think they'd take up the whole top ten. Then again, they'd also take up most of the bottom 10.

Arkham Asylum or Arkham City are easily the best licensed games.
Other than those The Simpsons Game (2007) was pretty solid, nothing exceptional but it's far better than most other licensed games I can think of right now.

Edit: Forgot about the Star Wars games, a lot of them are pretty good.

Bloodlines

Is anybody shocked I said it?

Yeah, moving on, even Redemption was good, I certainly enjoyed it. Then some of the D&D games, like Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale and so on. And, of course, some of the Star Wars games - I still occasionally play Star Wars Episode I: Racer for the lolz. One of these days I'll even finally start KOTOR 2...

Ghostbusters 2009
The Warriors (one of the best brawlers ever made)
The Godfather

Riddick escape from butcher bay and assault on dark athena are up there.

Not sure if you can count them as licence games but Marvel vs Capcom 3 is still pretty awesome.

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

That or Ducktales.

Yahtzee would be proud. It has to be Spiderman 2.

MajorTomServo:
That or Ducktales.

Now that you mention it, there are quite a few good games based on Disney IPs.

Dragon ball Z Budokai 3 is one of the best ones out there in my opinion.

Arkham Asylum? Not Arkham City?
Anyway, yeah that series is great.

Also Spiderman 2.
Goldeneye is great too (the remakes, because the original unfortunately does not really hold up).
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is amazing.
I haven't played the Ghostbusters from 2009 but I've heard good things.
I have fond memories of 007: Agent Under Fire and 007: Nightfire for the GameCube.
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers was also a great GameCube title.
STALKER and the Metro series are both solid.
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay is awesome.

That's all I can think of right now.

If we're including games that use tabletop licenses then the ratio of good to bad licensed games starts to even out nicely. Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines, etc, are all licensed games.

If they don't count then I'm gonna go for one nobody's mentioned yet: Metro 2033. It's a tad clunky in places, yeah, but it's just so darned compelling.

EDIT:

sethisjimmy:

STALKER and the Metro series are both solid.

Damn, ninja'd :p

JEDI POWER BATTLES was the fucking bomb.

Riddick was a fucking great game as well.

I'm going to go obscure here and say Super Robot Wars. The ones that never made it out of Japan. Damn licencing problems. If you love Tactical RPG's and super robot anime that series is great. The ones that did make it out were all original characters so obviously those are not licensed games.

Arkham Asylum, OP? It's more memorable than city in my opinion and is one of the better games out there. City's good too, but more an expansion of Asylum than its own game, if you get what I mean.

Tecmo Bowl.

(You didn't say what license!)

chimpzy:

MajorTomServo:
That or Ducktales.

Now that you mention it, there are quite a few good games based on Disney IPs.

I agree with pretty much all of these as well.

The Lord Of The Rings Games were very good. The James Bond Blood Stone game was decent as well.

KOTOR...

It's also the 4th best Star Wars anything.

No mention of KOTOR II yet... Escapist, I am ashamed. Ashamed I tell you! How can you all live with yourselves? D:

But yeah, my vote goes out to KOTOR II, the best licensed game of all time, and the best game of all time, just in general. :P

Besides what people have already said, the Peter Jackson's King Kong game was actually pretty cool. It had a few neat mechanics that made it a solid FPS, and the parts where you play as Kong were alright. Also, I have to throw another vote in for War for/Fall of Cybertron. I love those games to pieces, and I really hope High Moon gets another chance to do something with Transformers, though I'd be interested in anything they do at this point.

EDIT: Forgot to mention 007: Nightfire. I grew up in the Gamecube generation, so this was my Goldeneye, and damn if it didn't do a great job.

Since I've never played the Arkham games, and the Walking Dead isn't console available in New Zealand (bloody Aussie ratings ruining it for the rest of us), the best licensed game I can remember playing would have to be The Bourne Conspiracy.

All the key ones have been mentioned already, but I guess if you want the best game based on a series without actually following an existing story, then Arkham Asylum probably takes it. For games that actually follow the IP's story, it's got to be Goldeneye (the original, because the remakes don't even come close to holding up as well), with Riddick getting a pretty good mention, too.

film licenses
The 2 Chronicles of Riddick games on the 360
Aliens / Predator, from the 2 sidescrolling arcade classics, Aliens and Aliens Vs Predator, to the A VS P FPS titles, especially the PC originals (damn scary games at the start)

Non film
D&D and Games Workshop, Stalker, The Witcher
And Star Wars, but only for the space shooters as I've yet to play a good ground based game.

Star wars: Shadows of the Empire. It had friggin jetpacks!

Star Wars Battlefront 2, I can not begin to count how much of my childhood was spent playing that game by myself and in splitscreen, ah good times.

Dawn of War is definitely up there for best licensed games. It's a very fun RTS, not necessarily good, but definitely fun. Having a free for all with 8 races on Hard or Insane is priceless.

DoPo:
Bloodlines

Is anybody shocked I said it?

Yeah, moving on, even Redemption was good, I certainly enjoyed it. Then some of the D&D games, like Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale and so on. And, of course, some of the Star Wars games - I still occasionally play Star Wars Episode I: Racer for the lolz. One of these days I'll even finally start KOTOR 2...

Dude, Star Wars Racer was AWESOME. Still my favourite racing game to this day.

I'll throw Metro 2033 in here. All the good ones are already taken. That's not to say Metro 2033 isn't good, it's great.

---

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked