Halo 4 custom games?

Does anyone have or know any good ones because the file browser has nothing for anything. I think that Halo games are usually so replayable because of custom games. I know it's still early on, but I could use a few good ones to keep my friends playing it with me, (they are already losing interest) but I like to play them too.
One of my friends has a... let's say interesting notion. he reckons that since they added the 'edit coordinates' function into forge, people find it worse to make maps. Less custom maps=less custom games. Don't ask about his logic because I simply don't know.
Anyway. maps and game modes. Please share. Please.

Cheers

Hey there,

You might have more luck browsing the Waypoint forums. I agree with a lot of your speculations and comments though. Yes, Halo 4 Forge is pretty bad and people aren't yet managing to be as creative with it as they were in Reach. Omissions like no UNSC aircraft really don't help. Secondly, Fileshare is currently useless outside of friend-to-friend sharing, expect a fix to that whenever 343i decide to pull their thumb out of their butt.

Right now there's not much, due to a few issues that many of us forgers and custom game makers have run into. The problems with Halo 4 and custom games root from a multitude of other problems that, when combined, hit critical mass. These include:

Missing forge tools: Monitor zoom and the nudge system, paired together as the precision editing system, are MIA. The Magnet system's purpose was to replace them, but it fails to do so due to its finicky nature. This means that maps will have a lower overall quality due to horrible misalignment that not even the coordinates can solve. Z-fighting, a problem with object placement on the Z-axis(that's the vertical one) is more prevalent than ever due to the most effective way of managing the problem has been removed. Missing vehicle types is not doing it any favors either.

Custom game options: Certain gametype options have been massively changed, while other gametypes such as Race are missing altogether. It means that old gametypes from the other games are unable to be recreated or improved upon in the new game. Trying to come up with something beyond a Slayer or Grifball variant is getting to be a pain in the ass due to the missing options.

The File Share system: It's broke as hell. You can't search any more than your friends' file shares, and then there's the limits of problems one and two to deal with.

Sorry to say it pal, but please pardon our dust.

an annoyed writer:
Z-fighting, a problem with object placement on the Z-axis(that's the vertical one) is more prevalent than ever due to the most effective way of managing the problem has been removed.

Actually, the "Z" refers to the Z axis in the projection used to rasterize the image, which is an axis that extends directly out from the player's camera view. It starts at camera location and extends into the distance directly down the middle of the view.

To avoid having to sort polygons prior to rendering a frame, modern games* use what's called a "Z-buffer." The Z-buffer is basically an image with the same resolution as the frame being rendered. At every pixel, rather than storing a colour value, it stores the value of the closest object (according to this "Z" axis) to the camera that has been drawn at that pixel.

When a polygon is being drawn on the frame, the renderer tests every pixel which the polygon is being drawn on. If the polygon's distance from the camera (according to this "Z" axis) is closer at a given pixel than the value currently at that pixel in the Z-buffer, the polygon gets drawn at that pixel, and the Z-buffer's value at that pixel is overwritten with the new Z distance. Otherwise, the polygon doesn't get drawn into that pixel.

The problem with this method is that the Z buffer doesn't have infinitely good precision. If two surfaces are very nearly in the same position as each other, the computer can't tell which surface to draw on top. Because of how computations are ultimately rounded in some way or another to the low precision of the Z buffer, and because the inputs to these computations will change as the camera moves, the computer will sometimes make differing decisions as to which polygon (and even which parts of which polygons) should be drawn on top, causing flickering from frame to frame.

The two main solutions are, of course, more precise Z-buffers and making sure that parallel and near-parallel polygons aren't hanging out on top of each other.

*Games like Doom and Marathon use a simple sort of what are called "portal engines" which make sorting MUCH easier than in modern engines, and so they do not use Z-buffers. Simply drawing things back-to-front ("painter's algorithm") was cheap, and totally the way to go. Actually, back then, the concept of Z-buffer was seen as inelegant, lazy, and very much brute force-ish. But as the modern 3d engine was born, sorting algorithms became the terrifying pinnacle of silly horrifyingness.

//======================

ANYWAY.

So far, custom games have been mostly valuable for standard gametypes on forged maps, due to the custom gametypes situation still being dealt with. Hopefully people will figure out some awesome things; I know some people are trying to fake invasion-like stuff out of dominion and extraction, for instance.
By the way, Relay seems surprisingly good from the little playing I've had on it.

Halo 4's driving physics so far seem extremely well-suited to Race, and despite the lack of checkpoints I've had some fun on some "race" maps in fake "race" gametypes. I really hope they can add a race gametype in. :/

Tupolev:

Actually, the "Z" refers to the Z axis in the projection used to rasterize the image, which is an axis that extends directly out from the player's camera view. It starts at camera location and extends into the distance directly down the middle of the view.

//======================

To avoid having to sort polygons prior to rendering a frame, modern games use what's called a "Z-buffer." The Z-buffer is basically an image with the same resolution as the frame being rendered. At every pixel, rather than storing a colour value, it stores the value of the closest object (according to this "Z" axis) to the camera that has been drawn at that pixel.

When a polygon is being drawn on the frame, the renderer tests every pixel which the polygon is being drawn on. If the polygon's distance from the camera (according to this "Z" axis) is closer at a given pixel than the value currently at that pixel in the Z-buffer, the polygon gets drawn at that pixel, and the Z-buffer's value at that pixel is overwritten with the new Z distance. Otherwise, the polygon doesn't get drawn into that pixel.

The problem with this method is that the Z buffer doesn't have infinitely good precision. If two surfaces are very nearly in the same position as each other, the computer can't tell which surface to draw on top. Because of how computations are ultimately rounded in some way or another to the low precision of the Z buffer, and because the inputs to these computations will change as the camera moves, the computer will sometimes make differing decisions as to which polygon (and even which parts of which polygons) should be drawn on top, causing flickering from frame to frame.

The two main solutions are, of course, more precise Z-buffers and making sure that parallel and near-parallel polygons aren't hanging out on top of each other.

Ah. I've been working with 3D modeling recently and I'd gotten the Z-axis of the objects themselves confused with the Z-Buffer. My bad.

a fun one in halo reach (dont have 4 yet) we called super duper battle. Gravity hammer/ shotguns only. No abilities/ vehicles and put the player speed to full and gravity to extremely light. Bump up the shields and damage a bit (til you find the sweet spot) and you have a slayer game where everybodies basically a superhero :)

daveman247:
a fun one in halo reach (dont have 4 yet) we called super duper battle. Gravity hammer/ shotguns only. No abilities/ vehicles and put the player speed to full and gravity to extremely light. Bump up the shields and damage a bit (til you find the sweet spot) and you have a slayer game where everybodies basically a superhero :)

one we used to play was death ramp. basically there was a ramp with a zombie on it, and everyone else had to drive down the ramp in warthogs. teleports etc. made you get massive speed and flips and all that good stuff. the zombie had a grav hammer.

another one was fat kid. classic one that, really slow invincible alpha zobie, you probably know it.

anyway, cheers cheers for the help/comments so far. bloody irritated about the file share though.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked