Got tips for someone trying Demon's Souls?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Since The Escapist is full of badass hardcore gamers, I'm sure there are some of you out there who have played Demon's Souls and/or Dark Souls.

I've played a lot of Dark Souls and have decided to get a PS3 and try Demon's Souls as well. I'm very used to all the mechanics in Dark Souls, but I'm sure there are a few major differences between the two games.

My question is easily as follows:
What things should a Dark Souls veteran know before going into Demon's Souls?

If there are any Demon's Souls vets out there who want to try Dark Souls, I'm happy to help, of course.

To me, the main difference is that while Demon's Souls is harder (compared to Dark Souls, where most of the difficulty comes from the game not telling you how building your character works), it's also a lot more exploitable. For example, there are several bosses whose arenas have safe locations where you can just stand and pick them off with arrows, and there are several absurdly good grinding spots that can be reached relatively early on.

It's real fuckin' easy compared to Dark Souls.
Finished my first playthrough in 12 hours compared to my 50 hour playthrough of Dark Souls.

Heavy armour is also fucking worthless because there's no poise and no mid-rolling so if you do go heavy you're gonna be getting smacked around and fat-rolling like a bitch.
Parrying is a lot more effective though. Harder to do, but it can one shot most enemies with a decent weapon, compared to a lot of the Dark Souls enemies who either can't be parried or have a lot more health.

Biggest things I can think of is that the only checkpoints in each level are only available after you beat a boss.

Also, while in spirit form (which is what you'll spend most of your time in), Your max HP will be 50%. That can be upped to 75% if you find a ring (can't remember the name) in 1-1, the first level. You should be able to find it, as long as you explore.

As always, find a good wiki, because a lot of stuff is simply never explained.

Also, if you thought Blighttown was nasty, that's nothing compared to the Valley of Defilement :D

Tips? Be a mage . Tip number two . Don't die . Tip number three , there is ALWAYS a shortcut , so before fighting a boss , find it. Also , do the levels in order . 1-1 , 2-1 , 3-1 , 4-1 . EXCEPT valley of defilement , do that shit last . Last tip , have fun .

Don't try and fight the first red-eye knight.

Full health bar is a luxury, do not get attached. Cling Ring is your best friend.

Read about world tendency and personal tendency. It's very important and confusing.

Demon's Souls has a death counter. You're statistic and the game is laughing at you. Enjoy (your death, again, and again, and again). No, seriously, one of my personal favorites, I hope you like it.

ClockworkUniverse:
To me, the main difference is that while Demon's Souls is harder (compared to Dark Souls, where most of the difficulty comes from the game not telling you how building your character works), it's also a lot more exploitable. For example, there are several bosses whose arenas have safe locations where you can just stand and pick them off with arrows, and there are several absurdly good grinding spots that can be reached relatively early on.

This. If you start with the Royalty class, you can pretty much cheese your way through the first several worlds. As Nono said above me, world and character tendency: learn it, love it, because it changes a far amount of things in the game.

If you feel like trolling in PVP, get the scraping spear and enjoy destroying everyone's gear.

Last tip, as krazy said, be a mage. Magic is broken as hell, especially firestorm.

Get the Meat Cleaver. It is the most bad-ass weapon in any game, ever. Who care's it it's too slow to be really useful, it just kicks too much ass for me to care.

hazabaza1:
Finished my first playthrough in 12 hours compared to my 50 hour playthrough of Dark Souls.

Which did you play first?
I found Dark Souls MUCH easier as I had the platinum from Demon's Souls already.
It took a while for Dark Souls to even pose a threat to me at all... and the parry/riposte was so much less finicky in Dark Souls making it even easier.

Frankly, Valley of Defilement's difficulty is on par with anything in Dark Souls. Worse even because the checkpoints in Demon's Souls are even less forgiving.

Not to mention that Dark Souls is bigger and longer in general. So time played is not a true judge.

Heavy armour is also fucking worthless because there's no poise and no mid-rolling so if you do go heavy you're gonna be getting smacked around and fat-rolling like a bitch.

Not if you make sure that: equipped weight < half of max equipped weight.
One of the things I always made sure to do was keep my armour weight below half of the max allowable. At some point, I was wearing some pretty heavy stuff and still rolling like a madman.

Parrying is a lot more effective though. Harder to do

Agreed. It was a lot easier in Dark Souls

OP:
Magic is overpowered in Demon's Souls because of the traditional MP system as opposed to FF1 style cast a maximum of X per bonfire. Make a crescent weapon and watch your MP constantly fill over time.

Learn to manipulate World tendencies (there are extensive wikis on it if you need help) which should be easy now that the game is completely offline. Black tendency is harder but, you get better drops and more souls.

Be mindful of what you are carrying. There is a weight limit in Demon's Souls. You can store the excess in the Nexus.

Finally, have fun getting a Pure Bladestone!
I spent HOURS killing dual wielding black skeletons in 4-2 to get just one...

ShinyCharizard:
Don't try and fight the first red-eye knight.

Or, the OP can get lucky like I did the first time, or use his/her Dark Souls experience, to counter/riposte the red eyed knight. When I managed that one my first attempt, I had no idea what I had done. (worse still, it was accidental!)

The failure's (aka me before I grew a pair) method? Look up the item duplicating glitch. Since you've played Dark Souls, I'll assume you're capable. Just take it slow, the controls aren't as tight as Dark Souls's in my opinion, so if you're going to do something, commit to the action, don't decide it's wrong at the last minute, that'll get you dead.

You're going to die. ALOT. You got this from Dark Souls... But it's apparently worse. Or so I hear. So... When you rage, kill a kitten, but don't break the television.

Daystar Clarion:

Also, if you thought Blighttown was nasty, that's nothing compared to the Valley of Defilement :D

Screw 5-2. 5-2 seriously just needs to got die in a fire, I hate that level so damn much. >:(

OT: Well, the game is structured much differently than Dark, with hub-based system instead of an open world one. So, getting use to that will take a bit of doing. Magic works much differently too, and there is no pyromancy either. The guilds in Dark don't exist in that one. Also, there is the concept of world and character tendency at play in that game; it basically functions as your characters morality. If you die a lot, you shift world tendency towards the black, enemies get harder, and sometimes red phantoms appear. If you kill a lot of NPCs, your character tendency shifts to black, and you get more souls, but have less health. There are a lot of different events that can happen at pure white or pure black world tendency too; there are a number of side-quests in the game, for instance, that require pure white world tendency, and some items won't appear unless the world tendency is pure white. Think that covers it...

A lot of the bosses have shortcuts so you don't have to complete the whole level every time.

Running and rolling speed are a lot higher.

If you die a lot in bodyform your world tendency will get darker and the game gets harder.

The start is a bit grindy since you have a limited supply of grass and have to buy or farm new one if you run out.Later you will have so many souls that you will have too much grass and the game gets a bit too easy.

There is only one checkpoint after every boss, but you usually can unlock shortcuts as you play the level.

Bosses are generally easier than in Darksouls, exceptions being Flamelurker and Maneaters.
I had a glitch with the final boss which made him even easier for me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOAAg1hyV44

Daystar Clarion:

I had less problems with it than with Blighttown the first time around. Monsters in the Valley drop anti-poison stuff all the time and it takes longer to get poisoned.

lapan:

Daystar Clarion:

I had less problems with it than with Blighttown the first time around. Monsters there drop anti-poison stuff all the time and it takes longer to get poisoned.

I bet those bastards at FROM Software are gonna put a swamp level in every Souls game they ever make (hopefully many) just to piss the players off. And they'll just keep making it nastier and nastier. But that's alright, they know we like the punishment. ;)

Also, I wish the OP luck with his playthrough. Goddammit, I wish I had a PS3. As it is, I have to tide myself over with Demon Souls LPs.

Blast if you had been specifically looking for Dark Souls I am doing a video series on tips and tricks throughout the entire game, though it is a bit rough the second episode will be up soon.

Fat_Hippo:

lapan:

Daystar Clarion:

I had less problems with it than with Blighttown the first time around. Monsters there drop anti-poison stuff all the time and it takes longer to get poisoned.

I bet those bastards at FROM Software are gonna put a swamp level in every Souls game they ever make (hopefully many) just to piss the players off. And they'll just keep making it nastier and nastier. But that's alright, they know we like the punishment. ;)

Also, I wish the OP luck with his playthrough. Goddammit, I wish I had a PS3. As it is, I have to tide myself over with Demon Souls LPs.

This is where FROM think: People really liked Pyromancy so lets set a souls game in The Great Swamp!

OT: Crystal lizards behave differently. They each have an internal spawn count which starts at 1. Each boss you kill in a world increases all lizard's spawn counter by 1 throughout that world. If a lizard escapes or dies by any means (some are decidedly suicidal) it reduces the spawn counter by 1 and once it reaches 0 it won't ever appear again even if you kill another boss.

Lizards are also the best way to get upgrade material, very very annoying to farm for stuff so grab their drops even if it will get you killed as otherwise you lose valuable material.

They are also subject to world tendency rules so ideally you should aim to kill lizards in pure black world tendency (for better drops), preferably with maximum respawns on them.

Biggest thing is this-> Demon's souls is not inherantly easier or harder than Dark Souls. It comes from knowledge of the mechanics. I.E. if you've played Dark Souls, Demon's Souls will be piss easy.

The Backstab window is smaller, but parries are easier.

You'll come to appreciate the Titanite/Ember system and the Bottomless Box... A LOT

Watch out for your world tendancy, though it isn't a big deal if you intend to play online.

Daystar Clarion:

Also, while in spirit form (which is what you'll spend most of your time in), Your max HP will be 50%. That can be upped to 75% if you find a ring (can't remember the name) in 1-1, the first level.

Cling Ring.

You'll never take it off :D

Even though Demon's Souls came before Dark Souls I wonder how many people are actually going to end up playing them the other way around due to Demon's Souls relative obscurity?

I'm a little ways into my first playthrough of Demon's Souls as well and having completed Dark Souls first I would have to say I am finding this game considerably easier in comparison.

The one tip I would give though(Like I said I haven't even completed the game yet) is to completely ignore all wikis and walkthroughs. Dark Souls should be the only orientation you should use in my opinion.

I say this as someone who used a walkthrough nearly the entire time playing through Dark Souls and while I still loved the game to death I constantly wondered what it must have been like for the first round of players making their way through that adventure without any of the help afforded newer players..?

So In playing Demon's Souls I opted to go in as blind as I could and thus far I have to say I'm just loving the deeper sense of mystery and exploraton with the knowledge that I'm truly finding my own way... even if I do have to live with alot of stupid mistakes...

...such as saving up 60000 souls through grinding and spending them on a stupid ring sold by that bastard Patches only to find the exact same ring laying on the ground for free in the very next world I visited! Argh!

I actually ended up killing Patches for that out of frustration... probably going to pay for that as well.

s69-5:

hazabaza1:

Which did you play first?
I found Dark Souls MUCH easier as I had the platinum from Demon's Souls already.
It took a while for Dark Souls to even pose a threat to me at all... and the parry/riposte was so much less finicky in Dark Souls making it even easier.

Frankly, Valley of Defilement's difficulty is on par with anything in Dark Souls. Worse even because the checkpoints in Demon's Souls are even less forgiving.

Not to mention that Dark Souls is bigger and longer in general. So time played is not a true judge.

Not if you make sure that: equipped weight < half of max equipped weight.
One of the things I always made sure to do was keep my armour weight below half of the max allowable. At some point, I was wearing some pretty heavy stuff and still rolling like a madman.

Parrying is a lot more effective though. Harder to do

Agreed. It was a lot easier in Dark Souls

I played Dark Souls first.
Maybe it was the 350+hours I've put into it but going back to Demon's Souls was just a rollercoaster ride in terms of speed and difficulty where the rollercoaster is a straight horizontal line. line going at 60 MPH.
I was able to speedrun (including optional areas) with a heavy armour/BKGA build in Dark Souls in 8.5 hours or so, so having a (mostly) clueless run through of DeS being 12 hours says something I think.
Plus, by the time I got around to VoD it was my last area so I had like, 30 poison healing lotuses and a +10 longsword. I fucking wrecked shit.

Oh, and I didn't include it in your quote, but the game is actually still online. There's still ghosts roaming about and I had to fight a PC Old Monk.

ImmortalDrifter:
Cling Ring.

You'll never take it off :D

maybe if you choose a physical fighter. my mage definitely did not use it all the time.

Nonomori:

Read about world tendency and personal tendency. It's very important and confusing.

first: do this offline, online your world tendencies will reset to the server (there is a way around it, but involves where you log off/on). easier to be offline, although you miss the ghosts and messages.

basics:
killing a demon = + world tendency in that zone
dying in human form = - world tendency in that zone

take away = every time you revive from killing a demon, commit suicide in the nexus until you clear each world and unlock the rares from pure white.

killing evil NPCs and player black phantoms = + char tendency
killing good NPCs and players as a black phantom = - char tendency

take away = don't kill the good NPCs (vendors) until you're ready to be evil.

or you can wait until your second playthrough, although it might be more difficult to do everything at that point.

Tallim:

Fat_Hippo:

lapan:

This is where FROM think: People really liked Pyromancy so lets set a souls game in The Great Swamp!

Ha, I can see it now: Damp Souls.

I probably shouldn't be giving them any ideas.

It seems a lot easier than Dark Souls, but that may be because I played Dark Souls for a few days before I played Demon Souls.

In short all you need to do is be careful, everything can kill you in a few hits.

In my opinion the Royalty/Noble class is the easiest to start with (magic spells/decent equipment.)

The messages in game left by other players are usually helpful and there is a wiki if you want to plan everything you do while building weapons.

1: Prepare to die, a LOT.
2: Learn from your deaths
3: When fighting a boss, make your first attempt a learning attempt. Don't go balls first and hope you can win, you usually wont.
4: Explore the levels. You'll find the best 2 rings for new players in the first level. I think. I can't remember where the Thief's Ring is, but I know it's in a starting area.
5: When you successfully beat a boss, return to the Nexus and kill yourself. -- Dying in "Body Form" (When you kill a boss, you return to this form.) in a world decreases the "World Tendency", which increases enemies and their damage (And lowers your health in "Soul Form". "Soul Form" Increases your defenses and attack by about 10% each, but reduces your health by 50%
6: Do NOT look up strategies for bosses until you have made a few attempts and are legitimately stuck.

Other than that: Play and find out yourself. Good Luck.

DYin01:
Since The Escapist is full of badass hardcore gamers

Seriously, though. If you want to mimic the experience, play Skyrim with ten pound dumbells attached to your wrists.

I love how everyone is saying "be a mage"

By all means, be a mage if you wanna beat the game just shy of glitching. I hated being a mage. Took all the fun out of the game. I rolled a Knight, and a few save files later, managed to full clear the game with the starting gear. There's a challenge for you.

However, for a first time. I recommend starting with either a Wanderer or a Knight. The wanderer's Dex bonus is pretty slick and helps out alot with back stabbing and crits. I enjoy the knight due to increased Defense and he just seems the most badass.

Second. Don't do the Area's in 'order' Its Far easier to do 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, 4-2, 2-2, 2-3, 1-3, 5-1, 5-2 then the rest. 5-2 is annoying as hell but the BEST Faith scaling weapon drops there. http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/large-sword-of-moonlight

Its UNBLOCKABLE as well. I used it through my Entire NG+ all the way up to NG+++. I was even able to 1-hand it with a Shield. I think my highest level toon is SL 487 or something like that. I need to find my Save game.

Honestly though, go with what works for you. The LSoM doesn't work for everyone. I enjoyed the Cleaver through 90% of my first playthrough. I also recommend getting a Sticky Compound Bow. It allows you to kill the Dragons faster and does more damage.

Other than that, if you need help, just shoot me a PM. I can send you my PSN and will help in any way i can. Good luck.

Hi! Here are some tips that I wish I would have known when I started this game:
1. Royalty class is the easiest starting class. Choose female gender if the want the silver bracelet.
2. 1-1 has the two most important rings in the game, the cling ring (found at the locked door to the left of the t-junction you initially arrive at) and the thief's ring (found at the top of the tower past the first fog door guarded by the blue-eye knight). You must roll off the side and land on some wooden scaffolding.

3. DON'T WORRY ABOUT SOULS. It may seem like a huge loss when you die and lose 1000 souls but really it makes no difference. You will encounter enemies worth 5000 souls later in the game.

4. Vitality and endurance are the first two stats you want to upgrade. You get diminishing returns at around level 40 for each (stamina caps at 40) but it is important to max them out early. In Demon's souls, the jack of all trades is a master of none. Choose one or two stats (aside from vitality and endurance ) and then find weapons that scale with those stats.

5. Avoid heavy armor. It may seem like the best but it is much more effective to roll. Keep your burden below 50%

6. Get a good shield. Easiest to get is the heater shield from boldwin for roughly 3000 souls and it blocks 100% of all melee damage. The purple flame shield is one of the best shields and is available in 1-1 but you must make it through the two dragons first. You can get the blue dragon to fly away with arrows (he will appear again later in 1-4) and you can go back to 1-1 after seeing the red dragon in 1-2.

7. Best place to farm souls is shrine of storms. The rolling skeletons drop a decent amount once you can kill them consistently and there is a huge shortcut to adjudicator. 4-2 is the ultimate farming spot where you can kill the reaper with your bow for 5000 souls, kill yourself, recover bloodstain, and repeat. Also, if you are a mage who likes to use a sword get the CRESCENT FALCHION +1 in 4-1 as it is arguably the best sword you can get early in the game. Try going there and getting the sword as early as possible (you do not need to complete the level).

8. DO NOT CONSUME DEMON SOULS! You need them for new spells and unique weapons, make sure you give flamelurkers soul to Blacksmith Ed in 2-1 so he can craft unique weapons for you. After you get the soul just keep talking to him and he will eventually bring up the subject.

9. Best order of level (in my opinion) is 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2,2-3, 4-1, 3-1,3-2, 3-3, 4-2,4-3, then all of five. Do not go to five unless you have some serious poison resist.

10. Do not ever harm NPCs and try to find as many in the levels as possible. Sage Freke is in 3-1, Yuria is in 1-3, Biorr is in 1-3, the miracles guy is in 4-2, Patches is in 4-2, and there are a few more important ones that I am forgetting.

11. KILL YURT THE SILENT CHIEF!! That guy is a dick.

A good thief can one shot most enemies they are really overpowered.
Dodging can be much more effective then blocking for most classes.
Avoid heavy armor at all costs it significantly slows you down.
Also aware of false messages near the edges of cliffs and near doorways.

mattyg118:

Word. Plus his armor has i believe the best poison resist in the game. I killed him by going 300 on his ass.

THIS.
IS.
SPARTAH!

*Boot off ledge*

Also don't go after him if you knock him off the edge. Save, quit and reload and his stuff will be in front of his cage where you released him. If you let him live, he'll kill everyone in the nexus. 1 at a time.'

EDIT: I killed Patches. Wha? Don't look at me like that, he fucking started it. I didn't know he was a merchant so i just ran past a bunch of the reaper spawns, kicked him down the hole and watched him get zerg'd. It was EXTREMELY satisfying!

Kyr Knightbane:

mattyg118:

Word. Plus his armor has i believe the best poison resist in the game. I killed him by going 300 on his ass.

THIS.
IS.
SPARTAH!

*Boot off ledge*

Also don't go after him if you knock him off the edge. Save, quit and reload and his stuff will be in front of his cage where you released him. If you let him live, he'll kill everyone in the nexus. 1 at a time.

God...Yurt was so much fun to kill. He'd be all "Thanks for letting me out of that caaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH-"

I made the mistake first time around of jumping down after him. Felt bloody nauseous from the height of the fall.

anthony87:

Kyr Knightbane:

mattyg118:

THIS.
IS.
SPARTAH!

*Boot off ledge*

Also don't go after him if you knock him off the edge. Save, quit and reload and his stuff will be in front of his cage where you released him. If you let him live, he'll kill everyone in the nexus. 1 at a time.

God...Yurt was so much fun to kill. He'd be all "Thanks for letting me out of that caaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH-"

I made the mistake first time around of jumping down after him. Felt bloody nauseous from the height of the fall.

I need to dub a clip of someone booting him off the ledge, and have the whole Earth and Water segment.

"You'll find plenty of both down there!"

I actually dueled him once, he didn't survive long. Even on NG+. I still need to do the 'devil' sidequest. I want the rewards from that quest chain.

Play a magic class, use knives, go for back stabs, kill Yurt and don't go on to the walkways once you defeat the brown slime monster unless you want to become as spirit and continuously die trying to get your souls back, just go to the hub and onto the next world...

And look for secrets, there are/is boss(es) that you can't kill until you kill a low level enemy controlling them from a secret location...

And pillars are your best, and only, friends...

Kyr Knightbane:
I hated being a mage.

This. My second playthrough was pure melee and I have more fun.

Other tip: Enchanted Falchion is the Lightning Spear of Demon's Souls, if you know what I mean.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked