AC3 Connor's outfit = pretty ridiculous

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So I've been gorging myself on Assassins Creed 3 and I've been thinking about Connor's Assassin outfit and while it looks badass and very practical...it's not very inconspicuous.

I mean at least Altair sort of blended in with monks and Ezio could pass as an Italian noble or mercenary (later when covered in armour). But someone isn't going to notice a huge Native American covered in weapons wearing a distinctive white coat with a hood is following them?

There's that offhand remark that he could be mistaken for an Italian or Spaniard which is completely defeated by what he wears. I know it's difficult to make a tricorn hat look cool but I think the hood looks very obvious.

What do you think?

Ezio looking like a very distict nobleman stalking you isn't much less suspicious. Nor is Altair the sword-wielding monk.

Connor's outfit would only be a little flamboyant (mainly due to being white) if not for the hood just like Ezio.

The assassin robe sucks in all time periods.

It's assassin logic, stand out the most and you're the least likely suspect.

Altair had a bright red sash around his waist (in fact I think all the assassins did) and weapons strapped to his back. That's not exactly inconspicuous to me even if he better than his successors.
Ezio outfit was very distinct and flashy. His style of clothes wasn't worn by anyone else and he didn't really look any other mercenaries.

So yeah, inconspicuous outfits is not a strong suit of the assassins it seems.

You would have thought that after a few hundred years the Templars would be used to spotting dudes in white with silly hoods, it's not like it was ever common clothing, unless the next game is set on a Liverpool council estate.

Yeah, oddly enough the only one who could conceivably blend in to a crowd was Desmond, and his sections didn't even require him to do it!

The best part about the outfits is that it seems like the other Assassins get that they kind of stand out. With the exception of the Assassins in the first one and the Recruits in Brotherhood and Revelations, every single Assassin just wears regular clothing. Except for Ezio and Connor. Maybe Desmonds ancestors just really like dressing in flashy clothes?

It's one of the silly little things my friends and I like to rant about when we hang out. Their assassin outfits make NO sense from any kind of stealth standpoint. They stick out in any crowd (I mean seriously, Altair the monk with a thousand knives?!) and in any terrain, and even a lot of your "assassinations" are not very assassin like at all! Their basically really badass warriors, but make terrible murderers for hire.

maybe they think that someone so flamboyant and extrovert couldnt be possibly be an assassin since those sneaky bastards are like ninjas and everyone knows that they want to blend in the mass and be "invisible".

so it is practically reverse psychology.

shut up! it works.....in that universe..
you there beggar! you are not suspicious enough, therefore you must be an assassin! prepare to die!

What confuses me is that in the ONE game where the setting is mainly white, the 'assassin' has a brown getup to make him stand out.

Denkori:
It's assassin logic, stand out the most and you're the least likely suspect.

Now I want an Assassin's Creed games where you "blend" by jumping around on buildings and throwing rocks at your target.

Just wait for the next game in the series, it'll take place in the Arctic Circle, it'll all make sense then.

Maeshone:
The best part about the outfits is that it seems like the other Assassins get that they kind of stand out. With the exception of the Assassins in the first one and the Recruits in Brotherhood and Revelations, every single Assassin just wears regular clothing. Except for Ezio and Connor. Maybe Desmonds ancestors just really like dressing in flashy clothes?

I refer to their clothing as Pimp suits. As Im assuming, with at least Ezio, due to owning a dozen or more brothels, he was a master.

Its
a Freakin
Video game

Since when have video games ever made any sense what so ever?

Maeshone:

Or maybe Ezio and Connor wear regular clothes on duty, but the Animus dresses them up in the distinctive white outfit to make them recognizable to the user?

TheRightToArmBears:
You would have thought that after a few hundred years the Templars would be used to spotting dudes in white with silly hoods, it's not like it was ever common clothing, unless the next game is set on a Liverpool council estate.

This was along the lines of what I was going to mention. Particularly in Brotherhood...they KNOW what Ezio looks like, they know what he wears. If the Templars have the city guard in their pocket, shouldn't every guard be told from day one "Alright, you know how everyone around here wears clothes in shades of brown and red? Look for the person wearing white.

Altair did look like the roving bands of monks in his time, everyone else sticks out like a soar thumb.

What's fun is using the UPlay points to unlock Ezio's costume for Connor. Since it's a special costume, the hood is always up, leading to a number of cutscenes where Connor goes through the motion of pulling up his hood when it's already there. :P

The only one being relatively inconspicuous is Altair because there are NPC that dress similarly to him, so blending in a crowd is an believable option.

However, Connor's outfit is not as bad as Ezio... by the time you got to Brotherhood you could dress up with a suit made of wolves heads and nobody would raise a eyebrow at the prospect of being chased by a hobo with a sword.

Well, he actually would look like a hunter, hunters would be common and no one would bat an eye at a man with a bow in the wilderness.

What I want is a way to wear that fuckin' awesome pirate outfit thing he gets in the naval missions in any other situation.
Is that possible?

Scow2:

Maeshone:

Or maybe Ezio and Connor wear regular clothes on duty, but the Animus dresses them up in the distinctive white outfit to make them recognizable to the user?

You know, I didn't actually consider that, but since the Animus is apparently capable of all manner of things that is actually a possibility. I still think it's a genetic predisposition for flashy clothing though :P

I think all assassins just try to look as cool as as possible while assassing so they dress in badass clothes and make everything baddass

It's the same logic that lets you tear down 3 posters to become anonymous...never mind the 643 others, the newspapers, and the criers still telling people you need to be shot twice in the testicles.

FranBunnyFFXII:
Its
a Freakin
Video game

It's a very fine line what screws up the players suspension of disbelief, especially in this shiny new(ish) generation. If something isn't consistent in the game world, it'll stand out more. Like snow white robes in a green forest.

OT: This is yet another reason I enjoyed the first couple of hours more than the rest of the game. At least the character looked like he belonged.

Yeah, all assassins seem to have that problem, I choose to view it as the Animus spicing things up a bit by adding some aesthetic value to what they are actually wearing. I mean, every game past the first one (I think) allows you to change Ezio's costume to whatever the hell you want, including wearing a Desmond suit, so I feel it works.

I think Altair's excuse is that he could be mistaken for a priest or something, as shown in that one assassination where the paranoid bastard was killing them off for their hoods.

With Ezio, I think flamboyance would have been more in-context, and he may blend in by virtue of the surroundings being generally colourful as well. Which is fair enough. You'd still notice him in real life but my suspension of disbelief allows it.

With Connor, you see absolutely no-one else wearing a white hood, let alone the rest. He's dintinctive even among military dress. What's more, he's massive, the people he's walking with are plain, the streets are open and the colours are dull. He wouldn't even be that hard to spot in the forest. With some alternate outfits, like Boston, it's a bit better. But still, no-one outside of the military is dressed in that kind of attire, and on top of that he's a native Indian.

I'm still wondering who came up with the bright idea of dressing assassins -whose main method of killing is a very close range wrist blade- in complete white. Where people would be able to see every single spot of blood on their outfit.

WolfThomas:

What do you think?

connors outfit annoys me ALOT less than Ezios in Brotherhood...god I hated that rediculous thing

.....not sure why..its truw that it sticks out to redicuous levels..its actually not so bad aside from the "coat tails" (and hood)...
when I first playes AC3 I actually I wished I could be dressed like Haythem for the whole thing, I liked an assasin who really WAS inconspicuous

Radoh:
Yeah, all assassins seem to have that problem, I choose to view it as the Animus spicing things up a bit by adding some aesthetic value to what they are actually wearing. I mean, every game past the first one (I think) allows you to change Ezio's costume to whatever the hell you want, including wearing a Desmond suit, so I feel it works.

with altair its the most practical since in a crowd during that time he's nto that conspicuous...Ezio a little less but still plausable...

hermes200:
The only one being relatively inconspicuous is Altair because there are NPC that dress similarly to him, so blending in a crowd is an believable option.

However, Connor's outfit is not as bad as Ezio... by the time you got to Brotherhood you could dress up with a suit made of wolves heads and nobody would raise a eyebrow at the prospect of being chased by a hobo with a sword.

dude Brutus's armor and dagger are badass but I do agree with OP only Al-Tair made sense a bit with blending in with monks even though he has buncha weapons strapped to his back.

hazabaza1:
What I want is a way to wear that fuckin' awesome pirate outfit thing he gets in the naval missions in any other situation.
Is that possible?

Yes. Pre-order from Amazon.

Yeah, I agree, but...meh. If I'm going to be watching a character run around for 20 hours, I want the outfit to look cool (which I think they do).

MeChaNiZ3D:
With Connor, you see absolutely no-one else wearing a white hood, let alone the rest. He's dintinctive even among military dress. What's more, he's massive, the people he's walking with are plain, the streets are open and the colours are dull. He wouldn't even be that hard to spot in the forest. With some alternate outfits, like Boston, it's a bit better. But still, no-one outside of the military is dressed in that kind of attire, and on top of that he's a native Indian.

More practical would be regular clothes with an overcoat, tricorn hat and wig. It could still retain the assassin colours. Something that could be swapped very quickly to change appearance. His colouring is an advantage if not covered in Native American stuff, as he could pass as an Italian or Spaniard, or as a mixed blood slave. I'd love to be able to apply disguises like a beard with spirit gum.

AgentLampshade:

FranBunnyFFXII:
Its
a Freakin
Video game

It's a very fine line what screws up the players suspension of disbelief, especially in this shiny new(ish) generation. If something isn't consistent in the game world, it'll stand out more. Like snow white robes in a green forest.

OT: This is yet another reason I enjoyed the first couple of hours more than the rest of the game. At least the character looked like he belonged.

Yeah, they should make Assassin's all grey and brown so nothing would stand out. It would be more consistent with this generation's graphics.

OT: I honestly don't care much. The fact that no-one is able to pick out the assassins in any of the games seems strange to me. It's not like they're actually disguised or something.

If we're really going into it, would a Nobleman really walk alone in a crowded street and stalk someone? Nope. Would the monks who always walk in one big crowd wander off for no reason carrying a sword? The mercenary is the only one that would make sense to pass without too much notice.

rhizhim:
maybe they think that someone so flamboyant and extrovert couldnt be possibly be an assassin since those sneaky bastards are like ninjas and everyone knows that they want to blend in the mass and be "invisible".

so it is practically reverse psychology.

shut up! it works.....in that universe..
you there beggar! you are not suspicious enough, therefore you must be an assassin! prepare to die!

lmao

Ill say this Im glad for connors outfit I HATED Ezios big ass clothing in bro and rev. It was so bulky compared to the lean mean machine that was altair.

The series has always taken a "its a video game, deal with it" approach to why no one looks at Altair, Ezio, or Connor, and doesn't just immediately throw them in jail for carrying an army's worth of weapon racks on their backs. I guess the same could be said for Agent 47's barcode on his head, or Sam Fisher's glowing goggles, its just sorta what they do.

Connor's attire in colonial America does seem more out of place than the other games though, i'll grant you that.

Basically, this requires some suspension of disbelief. It's like that one scene with the military in Con Air, where the soldier dudes march into an enemy stronghold in a single file line through a small linear passageway carved through junk...And are then surprised when they get ambushed.

In the real world, marines are much smarter and far more competant than that. But a movie that ends 40 minutes in before the action packed climax just isn't as fun.

Basically, i'm saying that this is a guy who uses "Science" to relive the memories of his ancestors. It's wacky and unrealistic, but you kind of have to be willing to say "Okay, in the real world, superman can't really fly or use his muscle strength to turn a lump of coal into a diamond, but it's a movie so i'll just accept it and enjoy myself."

A lack of logic only really matters when it is in overabundance or actively interferes with the narrative. (See; Mass Effect 3)

It's a strange case. Altair's outfit, while certainly distinctive, still resempled the day clothes of some people in the setting of his game, and it wasn't overly flashy or over-designed; it was a fairly practical and comfortable garment, which could concievably make him inconspicious under the right circumstances (assuming that the weapons were done away with).

Ezio's first (ACII) outfit actually seemed to be the most inconspicious one of all, as it was essentially a nice shirt with long tails and a hood. It didn't look all that obvious at first glance, and it was fairly low-key as far as Assassin outfits go. The only things that made it stand out were the extra flourishes (including the Assassin logo) and, of course, the weapons. Weirdly, Ezio's second and third outfits (I'm discounting Altair's armor and the Armor of Brutus as those have really no excuse) seem to take a lot from Altair's outfit, which would be fine, if clothing styles had not changed in the intervening centuries. As it stands, the Brotherhood and Revelations outfits are rather obvious to anyone's eye, Ezio comes off as more Zorro or Batman rather than sneaky Assassin. Still, though, a constant of Ezio's outfits is his ability to dye them, and that alone may help explain why he doesn't stand out as much; he can make his outfit just as colorful as the ones people around him are wearing. Still doesn't change the shape and profile, but it's something.

And that brings us to Connor, who has literally no excuse, save for the fact that his white coat can help him stay hidden in the snow. Hoods have really gone out of style by his time, and all of his little affectations, such as his deerskin boots or his feathers, kind of make the whole "pass myself off as an Italian or Spaniard" story hard to swallow. He's really just too flashy, too garish, for his surroundings. Ezio at least was flashy in personality and the Reneaissance was garish in terms of fashion, but Colonial America just doesn't have the same aesthetic sensibilities. Haytham, on the other hand, Haytham knows how to dress properly for his line of work. He probably has the best outfit of any playable character in the AC series, including Altair. He manages to find a sweet spot in the difficult juggling act of outfits: his getup manages to be classy, badass, and subtle. He realistically can be counted on to appear inconspicouus in his surroundings; he's almost like the James Bond of his era in that regard, he dresses stylishly but still can walk around without drawing too many awkward stares. Plus, he also uses disguises a lot more than other protagonists, which is another reason why he comse off as the least conspicious and (ironically) the most "assassin-like" playable character.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked