63.5% (40)
Playstation All-Stars
11.1% (7)
11.1% (7)
Doesn't matter
23.8% (15)
23.8% (15)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Playstation All-Stars, or the Super Smash Bros. franchise?

For me, I'll always go for the Super Smash Bros. franchise. While it was loaded with clones galore, Final Destination knock-offs, and over-simplified move-sets, at the very least it gave me multiple methods of killing my opponents other than just supers, compared to Playstation All-Stars. That means there was an element of strategy involved in SSB, whereas PSA just has me bash the same attack buttons until my super-meter is full.

I mean, what's the purpose of a fighting game, or any game for that matter, if there is only one method of winning?

Playstation All Stars just came out. It's not even out yet in some places.
People should probably have a little time to see how they like the game before they go deciding which one is better...

OT: Purely on character selection, I'd go with Super Smash, because not many of the characters I really wanted made it into Playstation All Stars, and Super Smash has a more uniform cartoonyish roster and Pokemon.

This is like, just a LITTLE biased...

The game just came out... in SOME places... and you are already comparing it to a 3 series of games (soon to be 4)LOL.

Only having played one of those "franchises", I'm going with Smash Bros.

All I know of All Stars is their initial play trailer, which was just a clusterfuck.

*Looks at All Stars' roster* I can only identify 1/3 of them. Wait, one of their characters is from Teken? o.O
Are they trying to be a cartoonish fighter to rival Smash Bros, or are they trying to be a propper fighter? Either way, they'd still lose to their superior competition.

Most people haven't even played PlayStation All Stars yet (it's not even out here), so it's a little hard to say isn't it? I mean I like Smash Bros. a lot but I'm not gonna say it's better when I haven't played All Stars.

Only thing I can say about All Stars ATM is I'm disappointed with the roster.

Besides you don't HAVE to choose, you can always enjoy both.

I thought you would have just gone with Smash Bros for the sole reason that Sonic is in it.

From what I've seen of gameplay and such, everything All Stars does good, Smash Bros did first.

I mean, which is better, something original, or something that copies something else?

I love SSB and that is probably the biggest reason I will eventually get all-stars.

Dude, the game (All-Stars) just came out today! Give people some time to get used to All-Stars first!

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
From what I've seen of gameplay and such, everything All Stars does good, Smash Bros did first.

I mean, which is better, something original, or something that copies something else?

Well I don't know, I don't like beat um up games but, Saint's Row 2 or GTA4? I'm going with the copy cat on this one.

Why not both? Is there really only room enough in the "Cartoony-Fighter" niche for Super Smash Bros., that no other game with similar mechanics can be released without being torn apart by zealots adamant in their defense of their precious preferred franchise?

Anyway, I've not played Playstation All-Stars because it was literally released today and I'm not really all that interested in it to begin with, but I rarely play Smash Bros. either even though I find it very fun. If I got All-Stars, I'm sure I would enjoy it every bit as much as I do Smash Bros..

Why does it have to be a contest? I prefer smash bros, but I wish there were more genuine attempts at making good smash styled fighting games. People who really enjoy smash should be glad at the possibility of a good similar game coming out instead of whining about "rip offs".

I tried a demo of PSA and have been reading a lot on it in preparation of getting it (because it does look alright).

From what I've seen, I still think I'll like SSB, but I'd like the next SSB to incorporate a few elements of PSA into it (the stuff I've read anyway). For example, I know everyone complains about the clone-characters, and some people I've argued with say it's impossible to make a game with such a large roster and not have clones without killing balance.

To those people, I say look at PSA and see that it has half the characters of Brawl and none of them have shared punches! If they can do that with roughly 20ish characters, Brawl should be able to at least eliminate clones. A few similar moves are fine but quite a bit of them make no sense as it is (see Ganondorf).

On top of that, anyone mod their Smash Bros game here? If so, you know it has been done by the community to modify movesets to make the game more fun, balanced, and/or diversified. I regularly use Brawl-Minus mod, which breaks the characters (overpowers most of them) but yet balances it out in a weird way. It makes a clone as bad as Ganondorf into a fully playable character who can hold his own with a large number of different opponents AND he doesn't feel like a complete rip-off of Captain Falcon.

===================================

That said, it is largely unfair to compare the two with the newest one only having been out a short while. Again, I'd love to see some elements of PSA that worked go into the next SSB.

But for the sake of comparison, shouldn't we compare Smash Bros. to the Power Stone franchise? Then in a week we compare the winner of that to PSA? I think that's only fair.

The Smash Bros. will always be a double edged sword, for you have a pretty good game like Melee lumped with a bad game like Brawl.

Then again, Battle Royale's arbitrary game play sways me away from it pretty quickly.

Actually a lot of the reviewers are saying that All Stars needs a great deal of more strategy compared to Smash because it's how a player proceeds on getting the supers that needs strategy, not the supers themselves, this is because the roster, in regards to fighting style, is very varied.

The supers still need a degree of strategy since itīs not like a player gets a super and he can immediately kill someone with it (yes there are some supers that are unavoidable to the receiving players but these are hard to get), a player has to find a way to connect the attack or risk losing all the work he has done so far, I experienced this first hand on the beta, I would activate my super but someone would so little as punch me and I would lose my meter and would have to start all over again.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

With that said I'm guessing you musn't play games that often since, you know, every game ever takes inspiration from another source right.

Seriously, so what if All Stars is obviously taking cues from Smash, it's not like there are brawl type games everywhere like modern military shooters like COD. Don't you think it's good for Sony to be using a fighting game as they're main game this year instead of something as over saturated these days as a shooter.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Smash Bros wasn't the first game in that genre. The only part of Smash Bros which PSA copied was the mixed console franchise theme.

I honestly prefer Smash Bros simply because All Stars tries to change a game that worked into a game that *looks* unbalanced (as the only way to score is to use the PSA version of a 'Final Smash', which were the most unbalanced things in Brawl). It might be fun, but to me it ultimately looks like an alternative to Smash Bros for those who want a change, in the same way LoL is an alternative to DotA.

ETERNAL-chaplain:
The Smash Bros. will always be a double edged sword, for you have a pretty good game like Melee lumped with a bad game like Brawl.

No way, you got it the other way around. 1st is Brawl, then Meele.

But neither beats the original IMO.

i am still gonna go with smash brothers as my preferred one
its roster i like
besides the furry quartet, and raiden i don't care much else or if anyone else on that ps roster.
i can get with most of the Nintendo roster

also some of the choices to put in that game/ developers letting them put peeps in the game, made me down right angry. while i am used to activision being activision and crash not getting into this game, i thought spyro was owned by insomniac. and i understand square kinda doesent like having the character associate with anybody accept nintendo and disney, so cloud strife or maybe even zidane ( though that one would be a long shot considering the former, is a cultural phenomena, and the a tribute to a dead friend of one of the lead developers)

also,the no name chick, who was the star in that one-of god of war clone got into this game, but laura croft the effing tomb raider didn't get into this game.

-sighs-

im done

also brawl wasnt bad
nostalgia is like that sometimes

SilverUchiha:
I tried a demo of PSA and have been reading a lot on it in preparation of getting it (because it does look alright).

From what I've seen, I still think I'll like SSB, but I'd like the next SSB to incorporate a few elements of PSA into it (the stuff I've read anyway). For example, I know everyone complains about the clone-characters, and some people I've argued with say it's impossible to make a game with such a large roster and not have clones without killing balance.

To those people, I say look at PSA and see that it has half the characters of Brawl and none of them have shared punches! If they can do that with roughly 20ish characters, Brawl should be able to at least eliminate clones. A few similar moves are fine but quite a bit of them make no sense as it is (see Ganondorf).

On top of that, anyone mod their Smash Bros game here? If so, you know it has been done by the community to modify movesets to make the game more fun, balanced, and/or diversified. I regularly use Brawl-Minus mod, which breaks the characters (overpowers most of them) but yet balances it out in a weird way. It makes a clone as bad as Ganondorf into a fully playable character who can hold his own with a large number of different opponents AND he doesn't feel like a complete rip-off of Captain Falcon.

===================================

That said, it is largely unfair to compare the two with the newest one only having been out a short while. Again, I'd love to see some elements of PSA that worked go into the next SSB.

But for the sake of comparison, shouldn't we compare Smash Bros. to the Power Stone franchise? Then in a week we compare the winner of that to PSA? I think that's only fair.

yes i have
i have a wii hacked like hell
fricken shadow and zidane in my smash brothers brawl

TecnoMonkey:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

With that said I'm guessing you musn't play games that often since, you know, every game ever takes inspiration from another source right.

Seriously, so what if All Stars is obviously taking cues from Smash, it's not like there are brawl type games everywhere like modern military shooters like COD. Don't you think it's good for Sony to be using a fighting game as they're main game this year instead of something as over saturated these days as a shooter.

I hate this argument. I really do.

There is a difference between 'taking inspiration from' and 'ripping off' another game. Taking inspiration means that you take a successful element from another game, and add something to make your own game unique and stand out. Halo took inspiration from Half-Life, but managed to add enough different stuff to feel like its own game. Castlevania took a lot of inspiration from the Metroid series, but also managed to have enough unique features to feel like something different.

Playstatin All Stars looks like Smash Bros, plays like Smash Bros... seriously, what exactly does it have that makes it 'inspires' by Nintendo's franchise, rather than being a blatant knock-off.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

TecnoMonkey:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

I hate this argument. I really do.

There is a difference between 'taking inspiration from' and 'ripping off' another game. Taking inspiration means that you take a successful element from another game, and add something to make your own game unique and stand out. Halo took inspiration from Half-Life, but managed to add enough different stuff to feel like its own game. Castlevania took a lot of inspiration from the Metroid series, but also managed to have enough unique features to feel like something different.

Playstatin All Stars looks like Smash Bros, plays like Smash Bros... seriously, what exactly does it have that makes it 'inspires' by Nintendo's franchise, rather than being a blatant knock-off.

OH REALLY, it plays like Smash Bros? Tell me, have you actually played the game to make that statement? I will not accept a "Oh yeah I've played the beta so I know what I'm talking about", no I'm asking if you have bought and experienced it first hands the full game. Let me answer that question for you. No, you have not. Granted I haven't either but I have seen enough reviewers saying that All Stars is different enough from Smash, and I think they might know better than you.

It is not a knock off, as so many Nintendo fanboys have been claiming. It does take inspiration from Smash in the form that it's a brawler (because of this its obvious that it's going to look like Smash) and that it has mascots from different games, THAT'S IT, if it was a rip off it would have percentages, ring outs and the stages would only have one IP being represented, All Stars is trying to do it's own thing.

I will ask you again: What is the problem in Sony doing a brawler with it's mascots? I seriously do not see what all the fuss is about. No one complains when a new RPG or an FPS is announced, no one goes like "OH MAN THIS IS SUCH RIP OFF OF WOLFENSTEIN". So why the hell would people like you do that with this game. It's just childish honestly.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked