You should be playing The Walking Dead.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Figured I'd take a quick break from my busy complaining schedule to drop a recommendation.

The Walking Dead by Telltale games. Episodic game with point & click adventure sensibilities. Based on the comic series of the same name but has an original, self-contained story. Final episode about to be released. A cool $25 gets you all five episodes.

When I first saw this I dismissed it as yet-another-bloody-zombie-game. To a certain extent I was right to do so. On the surface it's a stock-standard take on the zombie apocalypse (slow shambling zombies this time, for those keeping count).

However, it also turned out to be one of my favourite games of the year and some of the most fun I've ever had with a game.

The Walking Dead focuses on story and character interaction with some of the best written dialogue in the business and quality voice acting to boot. In fact I think it might just be the best zombie apocalypse story I've come across in any medium. It also features one of the best child characters I can remember encountering in any medium.

The story essentially boils down to charging the main character with the care of an eight year old child then marching you through a series of small-scale but brutally unrelenting tragedies. Dark, twisted and downright fucked up plot twists abound. Luckily, the game knows to contrast this with frequent moments of levity, humour and optimism.

There is a degree of player choice on offer. It's about on the same level as Mass Effect in that regard. The main story is railroaded but topped with the garnish of your choice. Numerous small choices generally only affect dialogue and character reactions while rarer choices affect who dies and who lives. Choices big and small are carried through the episodes. There is some indication that they might step things up for the final installment, since the second-to-last episode can end with the player being all alone or accompanied by varying combinations of up to four different companions.

This next part is where I point out that the game isn't perfect and highlight a few flaws.

The railroading can get a bit heavy handed at times. On one occasion, despite having everything needed to solve a puzzle, I was unable to do so until I talked to a specific character and had them heavily hint at what had to be done.

Speaking of puzzles, they're pretty simplistic. On the other hand, they're also consistently logical and don't revolve around ridiculous applications of inventory items.

The animation is decidedly low-rent. It generally suffices, but fails comically every now and again.

A couple of times my progression has been brought to a grinding halt by interface bugs. A quick Googling provided simple solutions, but still a pain.

However, flaws aside, The Walking Dead is a fantastic little game that you really should play.

If the game is anything like the TV show with the same name, then no I shouldn't. The bad writing, unlikeable characters, and terrible pacing from the show is enough for me to turn my nose up to anything labeled "The Walking Dead".

Picked this up during the Halloween sale, and I second this recommendation. This is one of my favorite gaming experiences of the year, and judged on story alone would be one of my favorite experiences of all time.

That's the rub of course, the actual gameplay teeters between acceptably simple and objectively terrible. It's littered with QTEs, some of which are extraordinarily basic, others are poorly implemented and explained. It's not much of a puzzler either, everything is very basic. But that's fine, less interruptions for the fantastic story!

It's given me more gut punches and "Aw HELL no!" moments per hour than any other game I've ever played, and I'm eagerly anticipating the finale tomorrow.

alphamalet:
If the game is anything like the TV show with the same name, then no I shouldn't. The bad writing, unlikeable characters, and terrible pacing from the show is enough for me to turn my nose up to anything labeled "The Walking Dead".

The game runs so many circles around the television show it's dug a moat.

I agree.

That's why I purchased the shiny Collector's Edition and am waiting with ample excitement for the game to come out. I enjoyed the TV series and I highly enjoyed the demo. I've always wanted to get into the comics so the CE is just perfect! I get the game and The Compendium Volume #1!

alphamalet:

First the general fan sentiment seemed to be "the show is too slow" in the second season, and now it's "the show is too fast" in the current one. Can't win with some people, I guess.

Seems like the game is about on par, right now, with the series. Loved it so far, and can't wait for the final ep.

alphamalet:

As someone who was unimpressed by what he saw of the TV show and was initially put off the game because of that, I can assure you that the game is unrelated to the TV show and is way, way, way better in every respect.

BloatedGuppy:
It's given me more gut punches and "Aw HELL no!" moments per hour than any other game I've ever played...

Yeah, there's been quite a few, huh?

The event that shall be known hereafter as 'The Roadside Lily Incident' had me swearing at the screen.

The realization that Clementine had witnessed 'The Pitchfork of Justice' caused me to quit to menu and backtrack like a coward.

I would, but GTA IV and Mafia II and I think every day the same dream and that one time I watched the darksydephil heavy rain playthrough have all proven to me that I'm not much into story based games. In my experience, most of the time when a game is "story based" it means they slacked off majorly in the gameplay department.

Thing is, gameplay is the reason I go to games. It's not like these gameplay based games slacked off on story either. Shadows of the empire on the n64 was great. X-wing alliance had a pretty solid star wars type story. Even rogue squadron has a good story. So why the hell should I accept something that has majorly sacrificed gameplay just because it has a story?

But that's just me though. I harbor no ill will, no anger, no bad feelings towards anyone who does enjoy this stuff. Well, that is until they call me stupid for enjoying madden and First Person Shooters.

Zhukov:

The event that shall be known hereafter as 'The Roadside Lily Incident' had me swearing at the screen.

Clementine's immediate reaction to 'The Pitchfork of Justice' caused me to quit to menu and backtrack like a coward.

The Roadside Lily Incident had me raging for an hour. I think I actually clapped a hand over my mouth in shock like a cartoon character.

I can't wait to play these games, I am going to wait for the christmas sale however, because I want lots of games and I am a cheap bastard.

I wasn't to sure about this series, but after watching someone else play the first chapter on youtube, I was hooked and decided to not watch any further until I get to play the game myself.

alphamalet:

i love pretty much everything zombies. ive watched every single episode of the tv series and frankly i dont actually like the characters that much and the writing isnt exactly good. the game completely reverses that, excellent characters, excellent writing and it frankly puts the tv show to shame, those writers need to play the game to see how to do it properly..

in other words BUY IT

its the first time ive honestly been shocked by a game and more than once

BloatedGuppy:

Zhukov:

Clementine's immediate reaction to 'The Pitchfork of Justice' caused me to quit to menu and backtrack like a coward.

The Roadside Lily Incident had me raging for an hour. I think I actually clapped a hand over my mouth in shock like a cartoon character.

On reflection, what impressed me most about The Roadside Lilly Incident was that the characters involved were so well grounded in their personalities, backgrounds and motivations that, despite being so abrupt, the incident playing out how it did made perfect sense and I still felt somewhat conflicted about the choice that immediately followed it.

Only somewhat conflicted, mind you. It was still pretty damn clear what needed to be done.

Zhukov:
On reflection, what impressed me most about The Roadside Lilly Incident was that the characters involved were so well grounded in their backgrounds and motivations that, despite being so abrupt, the incident playing out how it did made perfect sense and I still felt somewhat conflicted about the choice that immediately followed it.

Only somewhat conflicted, mind you. It was still pretty damn clear what needed to be done.

Agreed. Although I had an easier time with that decision than perhaps I should have.

I thought the voice acting during that sequence was excellent, as was the tension. Really masterfully done, IMO.

No need for advertisement. The only thing i`m waiting for to play the whole season is a disk version.
Besides the demo i haven`t seen or read anything game related. Since everything seems positive i`m looking forward playing it finally.

No.

I hate the fact that is a game in episodic form, who wants to wait for like 1 month between episodes? (I dont know if it is actually a month but still, fuck you for not giving the full game just like every other company with self respect does...actually just about every other company. Its basically DLC but by another name, be honest bastards...) Either make the full game or dont make it at all, goddamit!!!.

Anyways thats a (relativily) non important issue. Those kind of games just arent my type. Also, not a fan of the show or comic (Overrated is how I would describe them), so that dosnt helps.

But the most important issue here is:

Point and click gameplay. Thats easily one of the biggests errors this game has. Along with takin itself a little to seriously. Why it does that?

Its far from begin the worst game in existence, or even a bad game at all, but I dont quite see what people like about it, except for maybe the story, or characters, or whatever one of those that I couldt care less about in a videogame because I play them for FUN, as in GAMEPLAY. Story may or may not come after it.

Oh well. I guess, good thing that people enjoy it.

Tried it as part of some free PS+ games after the Back to the Future one revied an interest in old adventure games. Less a game than a visual novel, but still fantastic on most accounts. I'm hold out on opinion on how the choice system works out until I play the end and hear some other experiences, but at least it gets moral ambiguity right. It's one punch to the balls / twist of the knife decision after another, particularly as little Clem is there to guilt you into behaving as if the world hadn't colapsed.

My only real negative experience was more technical as the game has had a few glitches corrupting save files if you use more than one of the save files (PS3). Seriously, if you have any way to back up your game save prior to playing, I'd do so as the glitch has happened in 2 out of 4 episodes, and I don't want a repeat this late into things.

So fucking excited about tomorrow. Final episode god damn it this is an amazing game.
GOTY for sure.

Edit:

aguspal:

I hate the fact that is a game in episodic form, who wants to wait for like 1 month between episodes? (I dont know if it is actually a month but still, fuck you for not giving the full game just like every other company with self respect does...actually just about every other company. Its basically DLC but by another name, be honest bastards...) Either make the full game or dont make it at all, goddamit!!!.

You fuckin' serious, brah?
Games get released in Episodic content to keep funding and interest for the future episodes steady. If they made the entire game they could very well run out of money or simply get less sales and this amazing game wouldn't be nearly as popular as it is (or deserves to be.)

On top of that, it's not nearly DLC because if you buy the full game/season pass thing you get all the episodes for less cost compared to buying all of the episodes individually. The only way it's "DLC" is if you buy it on an episode by episode basis, and even then you're not "being forced to buy content that should have been in the original game" or whatever shite people spout, you're getting what you pay for.
/raeg

I will play it if I can. I am not paying for it, but my dad has it and I can play his copy.

alphamalet:

The game stabs the TV show in the neck and then bites its face off. The TV show then comes back as a zombie and the game shoots it in the head. Seriously, the game is very unrelated to the TV show and is a lot better. The only complaint I have the game is how frustratingly long it takes for the episodes to come out.

aguspal:
No.

I dare say that the format is actually HELPFUL to the game. With the episodes out it's just like a tv show where we're waiting in suspense with what will happen next. One of the things the waiting has done is that it has allowed all the fans to discuss thier actions in each episode.

I'll be picking it up soon enough, I'm just the patient sort that's been waiting for the series to be finished so I can play the experience from start to finish. I do the same thing with books and TV series.

Anyway looking forward to it, from everything I've heard of The Walking Dead it's almost certain to be a game I'll enjoy.

alphamalet:

I know there's been at least three other people that have so far responded to this, but I felt the need to add in also.

I watched the show. At best it was "Eh" to me. Bought the first season on DVD, and didn't bother with anything past it.

I bought the games on sale, with two episodes already out. I beat both in one sitting because they were so enjoyable. The game just blows the show out of the water by comparison, and is honestly one of the best zombie anything I've yet to experience.

Game of the Year for me, it does something most games fail to do and that is emotionally engage the player. I don't think I've ever felt so uncomfortable at certain points during a game.

It's quite different to the TV show so those who don't like the latter shouldn't be put off.

G-Force:

aguspal:
No.

I dare say that the format is actually HELPFUL to the game. With the episodes out it's just like a tv show where we're waiting in suspense with what will happen next. One of the things the waiting has done is that it has allowed all the fans to discuss thier actions in each episode.

Good for the people who like that, then.

The fact that the game is in episodic format was one of the reasons I didnt liked it, among other stuff. It really did piss me off.

I can't get the final episode until friday! (Work and severe lack of funds are holding me back). This is making me so angry. I finished my replay of episode 4 earlier today and I need to know how Lee and Clementine's story ends! The game has had me rage at the screen (in a good way) and actually feel emotions, care what characters think of me and genuinely think "How will my reaction affect Clementine/Kenny/everyone else apart from Ben (Fuck you Ben).

I wonder how they'll do season 2 of it? Assuming Clementine makes it, her story? A completely new character? No idea.

G-Force:

aguspal:
No.

im enjoying the episodic nature as well. as much as i want to see what comes next it ives it a real tv show feel :D

Best game ever. I have never ever felt so connected to a character that wasn't my character in a video game, ever. I mean, I've liked characters before and I've been engaged by a story, but I've never been dragged so deep into a story that I got a physical reaction out of somethin happenenin on screen.

There isn't a single badly done character in this entire game. Not. One. Every single character is as real of a person as you can get without actually bein a real person.

The moments between them are just so...heartbreakin to.

If this game doesn't end up on everyone's GOTY list, at the very least as a nominee, I will be horribly disappointed.

I am unsure why, but the first thought that entered my brain upon seeing the thread title was, "No, I shouldn't be playing this game, now shut-up before I use my baseball bat to beat you in the head!"

Am I a terrible person?

(PS: If you answer with "Yes because it's The Walking Dead", I WILL have to come around to your house with a baseball bat!...In order to steal all of your cupcakes. You don't deserve any.)

More Calm, More OT Response: If I fancied myself with adventure games, I probably would have already jumped onto the train. Consider me a non-convert for now.

Played it. The game is waaaaaaayyyy better than the show. I can't stress this enough. Although with episode 4 I can't help but feel that it's going to end tragically. Not that it wasn't apparent from the start.

EDIT : DOUBLE POST MY BAD WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME ESCAPIST

OP is right. I should be playing the Walking Dead series. But I'm too lazy, and would rather just watch other people playing.

I get to enjoy the series. And they do the dirty work. It's a win-win situation.

attic scene, nuff said.

EDIT: Don't wanna get low content, so I will add this. I always scoffed at people who said they cried during a game but the way I responded to the Doc about how Clem is to me, I had a single man tear. She is his daughter dammit:P sry don't wanna say more without spoiling.

The Walking Dead is the type of game I prefer to watch, rather than play. Much like just about everything NIS America releases.

What I should be playing is some more Dark Souls. ;D

Been playing it since the first episode dropped. I haven't purchased/finished the final episode yet, but plan to very, very soon.

Well, I just finished the final chapter. I'm no gunna lie here people, and without putting into spoilers...

Apart from the very beginning, this is probably going to disappoint people.. A lot. I wasn't onboard for the whole Mass Effect 3 ending debacle, but this feels like it. It may very well have been the final choice I made, but I expected a whole lot more than "BLACK SCREEN" roll to credits, no epilogues for the remaining characters.

Be warned friends.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or