DotA 2 Secret Shop

TL;DR: How do you feel about the Side shops and Secret shop in DotA? Do you think it's a feature or a vestige/waste.

Hello fellas, today I want to talk about the secret shop. I was reading today a number of reviews from all over the place, and holy shit, every LoL player who reviewed it HATES The crap out of the secret shop, like seriously fucking hates it. Now as many may know in WC3 you could only have a limited number of items per shop as some may know, which may have lead the secret shop and side shops to make more sense. However, after playing it 7 years and now being in DotA 2 I think it's logical in some ways, the items in the secret shop are usually more expensive, there is a big risk of being ganked while going for that 3800 sacred relic and losing a ton of gold, you can also buy from anywhere in DotA (goes into stash and or courier) but not if you don't have anyone present on the secret shop so it's not just "get to safe amount instantly buy" to avoid the risk of death gold loss, alas, I digress.

After all these years the shop being separate and the inclusion of side shops feels "natural" to me, it makes sense I guess. However, I'm here to ask you your opinion, do you think the secret shop (and possibly side shops) are a vestige in DotA? Or are they a feature?

I'm NOT asking whether you like the Shopping Interface by the way, if that bothers you LoL is ripping it off in their next patch so I guess it works.

As someone who played Dota since mid 2008 I'm not sure it's very necessary, it was an interesting feature but after a while the novelty is gone and it just seems annoying.
It doesn't really matter in competitive matches though, with the good ward placement and the good team communication you will pretty much have a courier there when you need it.

Secret shop is redundant, side shop is nice.

Even though you could only put a limited amount of items in a shop in WCIII, the spawn was simply packed with shops, so saying that they are there because they couldn't fit the items is just plain wrong.
I find that the secret shop works rather well in terms of basically forcing you to expose yourself to danger to get better shit. It's a good place to gank people, and there's few things more rewarding than winning a team fight where the enemy's mid T2 tower used to be, taking a few steps to the side and buying yourself that ridiculously expensive trinket you were saving up for.
The side shop is also really good, especially when you're playing pub and if you have a courier then it is certainly not upgraded, and you'd rather buy boots in the side shop than wait for the courier to go all the way down the safe lane to deliver them.

The side shops are there for convenience's sake.

You can buy Power Treads, Arcane Boots, TP Scrolls, and a whole bunch of knick-knacks that help you in lane without needing to wait for a courier. You can also finish a Magic Wand if you have 3 gg branches.

The secret shops hold some of the most powerful items in the game.

Your enemies and your team can ward the shop and gank anyone trying to buy it. Better yet, if you spot a courier you can kill the courier AFTER it purchases the item to deny the enemy the item they crucially need for three minutes.

Imagine denying the enemy their sheep stick!

The thing about the secret shop is that your enemies are able to block you off from using it which adds another level of tactics to the game, I like it. It wouldn't really fit so well in League of Legends because LoL is more about simplifying the Dota framework.

The side shop is very useful. You can buy your boots or finish a Ring of Basilius without calling for the courier.

The secret shop is a little annoying. Mainly because with pubs, they think the courier belongs to them and only them, delaying your Vanguard/Battlefury/early Radiance by a few minutes.

Just wait till they add Tinkers... no one will visit the secret shop without revs ever again.

As a LoL player who wasn't able to get past the awful interface for DOTA 2 I never really experienced the secret shop but it sounds kinda meh. I can't say I like the idea of it but I suppose it isn't that bad, I wouldn't want it in LoL though.

Zyst:

I'm NOT asking whether you like the Shopping Interface by the way, if that bothers you LoL is ripping it off in their next patch so I guess it works.

Wait what!!!!!!
The Dota shopping interface was terrible, I hope they at least made it easier to use or thats going to be nothing more than a pain in the *** since the current one worked fine anyway.

Zyst:
TL;DR: How do you feel about the Side shops and Secret shop in DotA? Do you think it's a feature or a vestige/waste.

Hello fellas, today I want to talk about the secret shop. I was reading today a number of reviews from all over the place, and holy shit, every LoL player who reviewed it HATES The crap out of the secret shop, like seriously fucking hates it. Now as many may know in WC3 you could only have a limited number of items per shop as some may know, which may have lead the secret shop and side shops to make more sense. However, after playing it 7 years and now being in DotA 2 I think it's logical in some ways, the items in the secret shop are usually more expensive, there is a big risk of being ganked while going for that 3800 sacred relic and losing a ton of gold, you can also buy from anywhere in DotA (goes into stash and or courier) but not if you don't have anyone present on the secret shop so it's not just "get to safe amount instantly buy" to avoid the risk of death gold loss, alas, I digress.

After all these years the shop being separate and the inclusion of side shops feels "natural" to me, it makes sense I guess. However, I'm here to ask you your opinion, do you think the secret shop (and possibly side shops) are a vestige in DotA? Or are they a feature?

God, really? You have it all wrong. You view 'shopping' as an interface with the game's systems. It doesn't work that way. 'Shopping' is a gameplay mechanic. While shopping, you are vulnerable. Getting expensive items involves risk. Map control is everything in dota, and denying the secret shop to an opponent is an important strategy.

Not to mention that removing the secret shop would fuck up heroes like techies.

It's at times like this that I'm glad Icefrog has total control over Dota 2.

Yosharian:

Zyst:

God, really? You have it all wrong. You view 'shopping' as an interface with the game's systems. It doesn't work that way. 'Shopping' is a gameplay mechanic. While shopping, you are vulnerable. Getting expensive items involves risk. Map control is everything in dota, and denying the secret shop to an opponent is an important strategy.

Did you even read my post? I said everything you said except for the Techies one (considering Techies is not even in DotA 2 yet) Here: "...after playing it 7 years and now being in DotA 2 I think it's logical in some ways, the items in the secret shop are usually more expensive, there is a big risk of being ganked while going for that 3800 sacred relic and losing a ton of gold, you can also buy from anywhere in DotA (goes into stash and or courier) but not if you don't have anyone present on the secret shop so it's not just "get to safe amount instantly buy" to avoid the risk of death gold loss..."

Seriously, I hate people who don't read the OP and have the fucking nerve to say you are wrong.

I would be sad if they removed it, or changed it to how it is in HoN. It would add a layer of safety that I feel would take away from the depth of the game. Shopping from the secret shop at certain stages of the game is risky, and you will be punished if you don't take the necessary precautions. I prefer to keep it that way.

I didn't really like the idea of the side shop at first, but I like it now. Buying full Arcane Boots at side shop is awesome, because fuck leaving your lane for mana.

Zyst:

Yosharian:

Zyst:

Did you even read my post? I said everything you said except for the Techies one (considering Techies is not even in DotA 2 yet) Here: "...after playing it 7 years and now being in DotA 2 I think it's logical in some ways, the items in the secret shop are usually more expensive, there is a big risk of being ganked while going for that 3800 sacred relic and losing a ton of gold, you can also buy from anywhere in DotA (goes into stash and or courier) but not if you don't have anyone present on the secret shop so it's not just "get to safe amount instantly buy" to avoid the risk of death gold loss..."

Seriously, I hate people who don't read the OP and have the fucking nerve to say you are wrong.

It was more a response to the thread in general. In any case, I feel like this thread shouldn't exist at all.

Definitely a feature. It adds a layer of tactics to the shopping aspect.

Yosharian:
snip

Then don't quote? Quotes are direct replies to people in the thread. Also I'm sorry for discussing game mechanics in Game Discussion, what was I thinking? How about just leaving if you don't think the thread should be here? I don't think it's robbing you of anything by existing.

Hammeroj:
Definitely a feature. It adds a layer of tactics to the shopping aspect.

Agreed, I also forgot to mention when you are under siege but really want that last Secret shop item, that can get pretty desperate. It was easier when the crow had an invulnerability shield haha.

They are amazing side shop contains all the items you need for various bootys, scrolls for porting to other lanes and ganking.

Or even escaping 5 man gank sqaud descending on your ass, caught out of position? dash to the shops grab a scroll dive into the trees a bit to line of the sight the enemy and port to safety =)

Why complain about that. It seems just natural or adventurous even to go into the depths of the jungle, into possible danger to get the most powerful items in the game. Sideshops are there for the convenience while laning. They both bring a new array of possibilites.

Business needs to expand people. Even Roshan may have its needs.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked