Draconian DRM and how it can kill sales

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Now we've seen Blizzard lose the trust of a lot of people with Diablo 3's DRM hampering the single player gameplay significantly.

We've seen Ubisoft go from being the biggest advocate of strict DRM on PC releases to dropping the asinine model after seeing the DRM cause a 90% loss in PC sales.

Now we have an indie developer implementing the same type of invasive DRM into their game.

Miner Wars 2081.

The game itself looks to be actually pretty cool, but since it was Greenlit on Steam, the Steam users have been very vocally displeased with Keen Software House' implementation of the DRM.
The DRM is effectively the same as Diablo 3's. Required to register an account and log in to play, even in single player. Required to be online at all times.

This leads to people experiencing slowdown due to server lag when in single player and other annoyances caused by the DRM.

Now I know that developers will do DRM and I should expect that some games will have it, but I have 4 issues with how this is being handled from the consumer point of view.

1. Steam effectively is DRM enough for any game sold on it. Why the developer chose to add an extra think layer of it it beyond me.

2.This is a small time inde developer. Having witnessed Ubisoft's sales get vaporized when it started its DRM crusade should have been a sign to most developers.

3.Keen Software House is actively censoring anyone who talks negatively about the DRM on Miner Wars forums. This is kind of low. Also this:http://steamcommunity.com/app/223430/discussions/
The developers themselves have responded to a thread on the Steam forums asking the OP to "give them a chance". This was after they censored them on the Miner Wars forums. The OP isn't the only one they've censored either.

4. They've done everything in their power to hide the fact that the DRM is there. Even lying about the DRM.

That's right the developers know enough that DRM pisses gamers of for the most part so they tried to deceive people about it. Another low move. (Read the Steam thread linked for more context).

Now, what do you people think about this? I know that the developer has a right to put DRM on their game, but the consumers have a right to be pissed about the way it is being handled.

Will this be the first and last time that a small indie developer tries this kind of DRM?

Well, the consumer has always a choice: Don't buy games that include DRM that pisses you off. This is what I do and well... I really don't care if a developer decides to go beyond Steam. It is his darn good right to do so (unless some judge somewhere decides that hampering the product even more - making it in some cases even unusable - is somehow not legally covered in the EULA) as well as it is my darn good right to not spend my money on it and just forget about it.

Will it be the first and last time? I would not bet that it is the first time a small indie dev tries to do this - I would assume some not well known jumped on board when it first started. I am sure as hell it won't be the last time either. There are going to be a few - like in this case - not known developer thinking it is a good idea to smear their name with shit with the very first game they make...

Will I care? Well, no. Depending on how games will go on I may have to play TF2 and only TF2 by then.

I'm really hoping this game crashes and burns, maybe with a 90% piracy rate or something like that, just to prove to these cretins that DRM only encourages people to pirate.

dude, that's just evil man, this is the kinda stupid stuff id expect ubisoft to do not a indie developer.

We'll see.

Steam is DRM, sure .. but it's DRM with enough features to make it worthwhile.

Now while extremely unlikely to actually be any good, there's still a chance the DRM is worthwhile.
I mean, it can't be much worse than steamworks games that still require uPlay or Origin or GFWL, can it?

That said, this game would have to be capable of raising real life crabs from the dead in order for me to buy it.

I mainly posted this to make sure people know about the DRM before purchasing the game. The tactics that the devs have used are disgraceful.

AzrealMaximillion:
Now we've seen Blizzard lose the trust of a lot of people with Diablo 3's DRM hampering the single player gameplay significantly.

We've seen Ubisoft go from being the biggest advocate of strict DRM on PC releases to dropping the asinine model after seeing the DRM cause a 90% loss in PC sales.

Actually for me teh always on was a total non issue and it didnt bother me in the least infact i understood and would of done the same if i had chosen that model (which i wouldnt of but thats a different rant) and it had no impact ont he single player game for me.

The fact it was a bag of shit and a piss poor game is what hampered it for me.

zumbledum:

AzrealMaximillion:

Actually for me teh always on was a total non issue and it didnt bother me in the least infact i understood and would of done the same if i had chosen that model (which i wouldnt of but thats a different rant) and it had no impact ont he single player game for me.

The fact it was a bag of shit and a piss poor game is what hampered it for me.

That's fair. At least Blizzard didn't censor people on their forums about the DLC though. This company has lost a lot of respect over this.

AzrealMaximillion:

1. Steam effectively is DRM enough for any game sold on it. Why the developer chose to add an extra think layer of it it beyond me.

People on here defend Steam by saying it's not really real DRM. How easily it can be used/abused in offline mode, etc. Perhaps companies feel the same way.

Does that justify "alway online" DRM? Hell no, but that's a pretty extreme version.

2.This is a small time inde developer. Having witnessed Ubisoft's sales get vaporized when it started its DRM crusade should have been a sign to most developers.

Correlation always proves causation.

3.Keen Software House is actively censoring anyone who talks negatively about the DRM on Miner Wars forums. This is kind of low. Also this:http://steamcommunity.com/app/223430/discussions/
The developers themselves have responded to a thread on the Steam forums asking the OP to "give them a chance". This was after they censored them on the Miner Wars forums. The OP isn't the only one they've censored either.

Uber Entertainment all over again. That is kind of bothersome.

4. They've done everything in their power to hide the fact that the DRM is there. Even lying about the DRM.

This really is also troubling. And should be outright illegal.

That's right the developers know enough that DRM pisses gamers of for the most part so they tried to deceive people about it. Another low move. (Read the Steam thread linked for more context).

Assuming motives one cannot prove. That's dirty pool.

You have a right to not like DRM, but you're kind of going too far in the reasons that Blizzard and Ubisoft are getting poor responses.

*Sits down and reads Escapist Forum*
*Notices people complain about being online when playing games*
*Realizes they are online complaining instead of playing*
*laughs*

For some reason, that is what happens everytime I read this.
You come onto the Escapist and complain about DRM, yet you are currently online and not playing the game. Chances are you are online a good 75% of the time, yet you still complain about it even when it shouldn't be an issue at this time. Then again, I was blessed to be born in the middle of bumfuck nowhere with great internet and the small times when I have no internet, I play something else... or read a book.

Capitano Segnaposto:
*laughs*

You come onto the Escapist and complain about DRM, yet you are currently online and not playing the game. Chances are you are online a good 75% of the time, yet you still complain about it even when it shouldn't be an issue at this time. Then again, I was blessed to be born in the middle of bumfuck nowhere with great internet and the small times when I have no internet, I play something else... or read a book.

I'm more complaining about how this specific developer is handling their consumers at this point. Censoring the customer's opinions to hide the fact that you're implementing things they don't like is wrong. Not even Blizzard pulled that with D3. This is a small time developer too, it makes me sad to see that you'd rather just laugh at the situation than discuss it.

AzrealMaximillion:

Capitano Segnaposto:
*laughs*

I'm more complaining about how this specific developer is handling their consumers at this point. Censoring the customer's opinions to hide the fact that you're implementing things they don't like is wrong. Not even Blizzard pulled that with D3. This is a small time developer too, it makes me sad to see that you'd rather just laugh at the situation than discuss it.

Ah, sorry. I had assumed that this was just a generic, "Waaaah, DRM is bad!" thread. I just laugh at the fact that people complain, yet they are on the internet 90% of the time anyway. Unless there are parts of the world where most of the Escapist lives where they cut internet off at a set time, I don't see the reason for much of the issue.

Now, from what I have gathered, the company tried to hide the fact that it had DRM, from a sales standpoint this isn't a bad thing since DRM has such a bad name, it would put people off from buying it. However, they should have put it into the fine print so people won't get AS pissed off. Seems like a simple idea really.

Zachary Amaranth:

Assuming motives one cannot prove. That's dirty pool.

You have a right to not like DRM, but you're kind of going too far in the reasons that Blizzard and Ubisoft are getting poor responses.

Not really. Like I said, Ubisoft saw a 90% drop in their PC sales when they enacted their DRM policies.

Blizzard lost a lot of respect from their fans over Diablo 3's DRM.

Ubisoft was so effected by the hate for DRM, the removed it.

Miner Wars will have to do the same to see sales go up much further at this point. This is also considering that the developers are making Miner Wars Arena, an MMO version of the game. See the developers marketed Miner Wars 2081 as one game. Then they started making the MMO as a separate game, which piss people off because they had paid into the alpha for the original game and were told they'd have to pay again for the online portion of Miner Wars. After plenty of rage, the devs told those who pre-purchased Miner Wars that they would get the MMO for free when it is finished.

Now we have this DRM debacle. On their site, in the about section, they have statement saying that they would not be using DRM for the main game. Then they implemented it. Now their censoring their forums. Its real low what they are pulling.

Capitano Segnaposto:

Ah, sorry. I had assumed that this was just a generic, "Waaaah, DRM is bad!" thread. I just laugh at the fact that people complain, yet they are on the internet 90% of the time anyway. Unless there are parts of the world where most of the Escapist lives where they cut internet off at a set time, I don't see the reason for much of the issue.

Now, from what I have gathered, the company tried to hide the fact that it had DRM, from a sales standpoint this isn't a bad thing since DRM has such a bad name, it would put people off from buying it. However, they should have put it into the fine print so people won't get AS pissed off. Seems like a simple idea really.

Yeah, they have fine print on their website hidden in their about section. But its a contradicting statement. It says that there will be no DRM, then states that there will be...

The developers tried to deny any DRM when asked. Then they started censoring people on their forums. On their Steam store page you had to scroll to the very bottom of a long list of description to find that online was required to play. I'd be less angry had they been up front about it but they're active deception is what bothers me.

AzrealMaximillion:

Capitano Segnaposto:

Yeah, they have fine print on their website hidden in their about section. But its a contradicting statement. It says that there will be no DRM, then states that there will be...

The developers tried to deny any DRM when asked. Then they started censoring people on their forums. On their Steam store page you had to scroll to the very bottom of a long list of description to find that online was required to play. I'd be less angry had they been up front about it but they're active deception is what bothers me.

Aaaaaah. Yea, that is just stupid. They should just have the balls and say, "Yep, we have DRM Bitches. Play our game."

I would actually play it if they said that. And I still have no idea who this company is nor what the game they made is.

I would like to point out, as someone who has been half-watching this game for a while, that these are the people who thought it was a good idea to include a screamer in AN OFFICIAL GAME DEVELOPEMENT UPDATE VIDEO. Not even related to the game, just "we have been working on it and here is some test render footage and some concept art SUDDENLYLOUDSCREAMANDASCARYFACERAAAARRRRRGGHH!"

EDIT:
Here's the video. It's from the official Miner Wars youtube channel. Screamer at the one minute mark, volume warning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSB2rc_udGs
Really now?

It's ironic how DRM like this actually encourages piracy.

But it's not exactly Draconian, since you don't get your tongue cut out or anything for trying to pirate games.

Capitano Segnaposto:
*laughs*

There are more issues with always-online beyond what happens the player's internet goes out (although don't get me wrong, this is an issue for more people than you may realize). If their servers go down for any reason, too bad, you can't play (this actually happened several times with Ubisoft when they had their draconian DRM). And if servers do go down sometime in the future, there's no guarantee that they will do something to allow you to keep playing (although this is an issue with stuff like steam as well). These are especially big issues in this case because this game isn't coming from some giant publisher, but a smaller indie developer that may not be able to afford all the server costs for a long period of time.

I'm not asking you to join me in an anti-DRM crusade, I'm just trying to say there are legitimate problems with it, and you shouldn't be so dismissive of them.

What do I think? I think they knew that people would probibly call them the devil either way. If they say they have DRM: "OMG, you're so evil DRM is the worse thing ever, worse then cancer, worse then killing babies, OMG, I'll never buy your game!" If they don't: "OMG, why did you try to deceive us, this is the worse thing ever, worse then cancer, worse then killing babies, OMG, I'll never buy your game!".

People go into blind rages over DRM, so they tried to hide it. So long as people froth at the mouth over DRM, and companies want there game to not be pirated there is going to be lots of attempts made to try and get people to not be so angry.

Capitano Segnaposto:
*laughs*

ok so according to you:
1) server downtimes dont exist
2) lag spikes dont exist
3) ping doesnt exist
4) everyone has an EXTREME and AWESOMERUUUUUU internet like you.

oh and read a book i see what you did there

It's been said many times in the past that using DRM, in more cases than not, causes problems for your honest, paying customers and doesn't inconvenience pirates in the slightest. It raises the question, why even bother? I could easily torrent all my games if I so please, but I buy them anyway. The only time I've actually fully torrented a game was to get a copy that didn't have DRM on it so I could play it offline. Guess what, it wasn't hard to do and it ran instantly with little to no work required.

People and companies need to just drop trying to force DRM on people, or at least make it pleasant and convenient like steam does.

There are some cases like with steam where the game requires a third party account for play, which is unacceptable in all but a few cases such as Tribes and Planetside 2 which require far more resources. They way I see it, if you're going to use Steam and your primary means of distribution, use it's features such as steamworks in it's entirety. Don't half ass it.

Looking into it a bit, I actually like their idea.

Let the MW server pull some calculations out, unless the cracker is able to find what those calculations are during gameplay, you're left with a broken husk should you successfully crack the game. You need your own server. It's unbeatable. I could go in another tangent about how we're in the goddamn 21st century, Internet is an essential like power, the truth is a lot of US citizens and a handful of Canadians just don't have access to anything other than dialup.

This method needs to be executed and maintained properly. Sadly, the Miner Wars group has shown to be incredibly incapable in both of those regards.

Honestly the DRM conundrum is not something that is going to be solved quickly. For the developers of Miner Wars (which looks to be a well developed game, above what you normally expect from an indie title) I imagine that they want to push it through as many platforms as possible, maybe even a boxed release sometime, and they wanted DRM to be there to ensure that they get as much revenue back as possible. So that's why they did it.

On principal I'm not a fan of always on DRM, but some version of that is where things are headed. My feeling is that soon enough, basically as soon as physical media really dies (here's hoping), devs will stop going crazy with DRM. It's fairly simple to make DRM on digital games robust and transparent. It's physical media that's screwing all of us. When you make a DRM that has to assume no connectivity during install, and that there's no way to trace who bought what copy then you have to go a bit crazy. With digital you can lock a copy of the game to a hardware set-up or connect it to a payment account. With that done during install you just need to handshake every now and again to check that you're still cool to play and jobs a good'un.

So yeah, when physical media dies off, there won't be alway on DRM for single player. It'll handshake everytime you do have connectivity, and maybe give you 35 hours of gameplay or 7 calender days between needing to handshake and failing. That to me seems to be reasonable and rational.

felbot:
dude, that's just evil man, this is the kinda stupid stuff id expect ubisoft to do not a indie developer.

Pfft. Ubisoft at least were smart enough to learn their lesson.

You know, it is funny. When I first saw the title to this thread, before I clicked and read it; that is EXACTLY the game I was thinking about. Miner Wars 2081 was looking good. Good enough to buy, in fact. It was the news of the DRM that made me put away my wallet. A lot of people in the Steam Forums were saying the same thing, and Keen Software's response has been to the effect of "suck it."

I really think that some of the other methods listed above would have been a much better idea than the always-on solution.

Regarding the above posted who said something about correlation not always equaling causation, I agree, but sometimes correlation DOES show a trend.

Jimmy T. Malice:
It's ironic how DRM like this actually encourages piracy.

But it's not exactly Draconian, since you don't get your tongue cut out or anything for trying to pirate games.

It's Draconian for the simple reason it only punishes the consumers and not the pirates. Sure, it might take a little longer for a cracked version to be released, but it's not going to stop it from happening and then the pirates enjoy a better (singleplayer) experience than the consumers! SOMETHING isn't right there, just sayin'

sonofliber:

Capitano Segnaposto:
*laughs*

ok so according to you:
1) server downtimes dont exist
2) lag spikes dont exist
3) ping doesnt exist
4) everyone has an EXTREME and AWESOMERUUUUUU internet like you.

oh and read a book i see what you did there

You don't like to read, do you?

As I said, "Then again, I was blessed to be born in the middle of bumfuck nowhere with great internet and the small times I have no internet, I play something else... or read a book."

This means that, "I am unaware of other's issues as I have good internet connections, so this is from my point of view." And by the "Read a Book" I meant that I would do something more productive than whine on an internet forum about having bad internet, which is ironic (at least to me) as you have internet, but instead of playing the game the person whines about not being able to play, you instead decide to whine on the forum.

It sounds like this company doesn't really know what it's doing. Are there legal consequences for misleading customers over DRM like that? Could they be forced to refund their customers(Nope, didn't buy)?

There's probably something in the Terms of Service that absolves them of responsibility. :/

Which is spectacularly shitty and also really stupid. They're encouraging piracy of their own game, and antagonizing anyone who actually wants to pay for it.

AzrealMaximillion:

But not enough to kill sales, also never understood people whining about this, I never had any problems, and no one I know had any problems, so this seemed to mostly just be people getting offended on principle.

Never heard of this game. Will continue to never hear about it after this.

Capitano Segnaposto:
*laughs*

Mkay. Basically, the only time when DRM is a problem is when it hinders the enjoyment of the game. If you can't get to a game, I'd say the DRM is pretty detrimental. And then there's the objective decrease in the game's quality due to unnecessary delay. Do explain if you think any DRM is worth complaining about, though, I'm all ears. Because you seem to have just said that not being able to get to a game a quarter of one's fucking time is just fine and dandy.

Do I have to actually spell out the reasons for not being able to get to the game for you? Does your "I play something else"[1] babble account for the possibility of people like you ushering in an age where practically every game has DRM like this? Yeah, you go read a fucking book and don't condescendingly tell people how to spend their time, how about that.

By the way, some people have an internet connection that's barely good enough for browsing (e.g. visiting the Escapist), and completely shitty when it comes to any sort of gaming. Just thought you'd know.

[1] Never mind the probability that I wouldn't want to play something else at that time.

and here i was thinking of picking this up in a few hours.

hark my hypocrite sense is tingling !

id like to share this little piece from the about section on their website which i found extremely amusing

"Anti-Piracy

The game will not use any sort of DRM protection or activation code. To play the game you only need to download, install, and enter your login/password. The game interacts with our servers during the gameplay - active internet connection is needed to play the game!"

Source: http://www.minerwars.com/About.aspx

isnt that the very definition of DRM?

AzrealMaximillion:

I don't think it was "trust", simply that people chose not to put with it. I for one didn't, and will not buy d3 because of it but it's sold over 10mill copies and broken records even without me.

AzrealMaximillion:

Holy crap, I didn't know this. Just googled it and you're right, Ubisoft have in fact dropped always-on and activation limits, requiring now only a one-time activation. I'm gonna have to rethink my entire attitude toward Ubi now....former villains who turned away from the evil path to walk with the good and righteous. Kinda like Vader at the end of RotJ, only without the stupid "Nooooooooooooooo". Guess I'll start paying attention again to their doings, comings and goings.

Hammeroj:
Never heard of this game. Will continue to never hear about it after this.

Capitano Segnaposto:
*laughs*

Mkay. Basically, the only time when DRM is a problem is when it hinders the enjoyment of the game. If you can't get to a game, I'd say the DRM is pretty detrimental. And then there's the objective decrease in the game's quality due to unnecessary delay. Do explain if you think any DRM is worth complaining about, though, I'm all ears. Because you seem to have just said that not being able to get to a game a quarter of one's fucking time is just fine and dandy.

Do I have to actually spell out the reasons for not being able to get to the game for you? Does your "I play something else"[1] babble account for the possibility of people like you ushering in an age where practically every game has DRM like this? Yeah, you go read a fucking book and don't condescendingly tell people how to spend their time, how about that.

By the way, some people have an internet connection that's barely good enough for browsing (e.g. visiting the Escapist), and completely shitty when it comes to any sort of gaming. Just thought you'd know.

Don't be so angry. I never said what YOU should do. I am just saying what I do and what MY opinions are on the subject. Isn't that the point of a forum? Expressing opinions about the subject at hand? I don't promote DRM, yet I don't care if it is there anyway either as it doesn't affect ME. Which was the point of my paragraph that I had written.

I remember that I posted about this on my last post on this page. Do you even read the entire thread before angrily insulting someone?

[1] Never mind the probability that I wouldn't want to play something else at that time.

major_chaos:

AzrealMaximillion:

But not enough to kill sales, also never understood people whining about this, I never had any problems, and no one I know had any problems, so this seemed to mostly just be people getting offended on principle.
[spoiler=spoilered for length]

[citation needed] Especially considering that Farcry 3 has been on the steam top sellers chart for awhile now.

Just google it. Another poster on the thread did.

The DRM is effectively the same as Diablo 3's. Required to register an account and log in to play, even in single player. Required to be online at all times.

Been that way since alpha.[/quote] Not my point. My point is they are now actively trying to hide it from new customers.

This leads to people experiencing slowdown due to server lag when in single player and other annoyances caused by the DRM.

Really? because not only have I never experienced any lag, most people I see whining about it don't mention lag, just "EEEKK DRM" (on the steam forums no less, the irony is searing)[/quote] So because it hasn't happened to you it can't happen? See I hate that kind of argument, it proves nothing. Also considering that its still possible for someone's ISP to go down in this day and age due to a number of reasons the always online DRM is still a massive pain. But my issues is more with the way the developers are handling the situation.

Miner Wars isn't just on steam, it is also on other platforms that are not DRM, and they aren't going to make a different version just for steam.[/quote] Still doesn't excuse the censorship on their forums. Or the fact that they have been deceitful about the DRM being there in the first place.

See my point way back at the top.[/quote] I'll just link it:http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/07/opinion-ubisoft-piracy-and-the-death-of-reason/ All it took was a quick Google look. Hell, Google autofilled this one for me.

3.Keen Software House is actively censoring anyone who talks negatively about the DRM on Miner Wars forums. This is kind of low. Also this:SNIP

"give us a chance" isn't an unfair thing to say when the first reaction to a game you worked hard on is a temper tantrum. Also I think they may be "censoring" some posts becuse as with D3 a fair number of people jumped right past reasonable discourse to scream, rage, curse and endorse piracy.

"Give us a chance" is a bullshit thing to say AFTER you've been caught lying on the matter and blocking opinions to get sales. That's not excusable.

They are doing a damn good job considering I wouldn't have known if I hadn't checked the forums, not that I care mind you, if I buy a game on Steam I assume it is online only because offline mode works only when it feels like it.[/quote] Offline mode on Steam has been fixed for a while actually. They patched it a couple months ago.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked