Worst game(s) of 2012?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

So, we now have a "GotY 2012" thread on the Escapist, and everyone over there is heaping praising on the titles they loved the most, including me (Hotline Miami, in case you were wondering).

However, I feel that we need to discuss... the opposite end of the spectrum. While I know that 2012 still has a few weeks left in her (give or take some if the Mayans were correct), I think it's reasonably safe to start talking about the worst games of the year. What games, released this year mind you, were just straight-up balls?

Given that the price of the average game is rather steep, I had to be very picky when it came to choosing games. Thankfully, I only rented Resident Evil 6 before I had a chance to buy it, AND THANK "BOB" FOR THAT! Yes, I know that there are technically "worse" games that were released this year, but I didn't play them. RE6 is just a sad slog of a game, and it only really as an exercise in patience in my opinion. Seriously, they should make people with anger issues play it, just to test them.

Of the games released this year that I have played:

- Torchlight 2.

So very, very boring. Click on enemies. Click on loot. Swap gear for other gear with bigger numbers. Occasionally you really get to mix it up by... drumroll please, dun dun DUN... using an ability! Just pure, ceaseless monotony in video game form.

- Max Payne 3

Combat that felt like a repetitive chore. Slo-mo, headshot, slo-mo, headshot, slo-mo, headshot. If you're out of slo-mo juice then the high accuracy and damage of your enemies, absence of regenerating health and rarity of healing items mean you're reduced to played cover-based peek-a-boo. Then there's the bright, flickering headache-inducing cutscenes that pop up every single time you so much as open a door. Oh, and the whole thing is narrated by a grumpy prick trying waaaay to hard to be cynical.

- Kingdoms of Amular: Reckoning

Actually had some tiny glimmers of potential in the setting. Sadly, that potential was swiftly buried under a boring story, tissue thin characters, constantly respawning enemies and combat so simplistic that I could literally win fights with my eyes closed even on the hardest settings.

- Dragon's Dogma.

Once again, tiny slivers of potential, this time in the combat. Everything else was crap. The game looked like muddy green/brown puke. The story was shit consisting of little more than, "You are chosen one, go save world from dragon after doing fetch quests". Not a single character worthy of the term. Interface was horrific. Most of your time is spent slogging across the country side (because the quick travel system was a joke) fighting the same respawning enemies in the same places.

Every game I mildly dislike is clearly the worst game this year and completely without merit or value to anyone other than myself, seeing as I'm obviously the only one that matters. Obviously the 'actual' worst game released this year is some shitty little title I've probably never heard of because, surprise surprise, it's shit. But seeing as I've never heard of it I'll just go ahead and rattle off some actually pretty good games I didn't personally all that much enjoy, which as mentioned above clearly means they are irredeemable.

- Hitman: Absolution

Played a bit of this at a friends place and greatly dislike the change of pace from large, open freeform levels to these tiny 'narrative driven' segments. Story has always been pretty shit in the Hitman games, and I'm not even being sarcastic here it genuinely is pretty bad, so why would they ever want to make it the main focus of the entire game? Terrible game. Worst ever. I rate it four out of twelve Hitler.

- Borderlands 2

Okay, I've barely even touched this one but honestly I like most of the games I've played this year so I've kinda got to stretch, and since I didn't much like the first Borderlands I'm going to presume I wouldn't like this one either. I rate it two out of seven Stalin.

- Far Cry 3

Haven't even played this one but the advertisements are getting on my nerves, so I hate it. Worst game in the entire galaxy, literally, and anyone who likes it is a bad person and should feel bad. I rate it one out of two Genghis Khan.

And... umm... that's about all I can think of right now. I'm about out of sarcasm at the moment, run dry. Out of curiosity I did however pull up a list of some of the worst rated games of this year:

-Zombii Attack, which I've never even heard of before.

-Gettysburg: Armored Warfare, yep, I remember watching a few comedic reviews of this game. Looks so terrible it's hard to actually believe it's from 2012. Eug.

-Amy, This ones kinda sad because I was honestly rooting for it being decent as a fan of ye olden style console horror games. Never played it myself because it got terrible, terrible reviews and so I avoided it like any sane human would, but such a shame.

I had completely forgotten this came out this year.

Out of all the games I've personally played...probably Prototype 2. Huge waste of potential and the story is downright terrible.

Ghost Recon FS: it was ok...but it really wasn't what I was expecting. Like...I wanted Ghost Recon. I got if Ghost Recon went through the CoD syndrome.

The Madman:
But seeing as I've never heard of it I'll just go ahead and rattle off some actually pretty good games I didn't personally all that much enjoy, which as mentioned above clearly means they are irredeemable.

I'l see your games you didn't personally enjoy and raise you the most popular games that have just been released, clearly liking anything that's popular shows how brain dead these non hipsters really are. If only they knew that codfloppy2 was built by evil men who made a pact with satan that no 12 year old will EVER HAVE FUN. Far Cry 3 was made by literally seeing how far they could make children and old people run away from them crying, and you buy this without ever seeing the bigger picture! Ubisoft will soon take all the multicultural people in the world! Leaving no culture for the rest of us! DO YOU WANT TO GO AND LIVE IN FALLOUT 3?! You don't want that, with all those staring eyes.

Edit: A bit less caps is a bit more class D:.

For me out of the games I've played it's Assassins Creed 3. It's not actually that bad, just disappointing to how much I loved the others, when I think about this I guess it's been a pretty good year for games, at least for what I've bought.

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition.

Because it's actually WORSE than regular BG1 with tutu installed. Don't ask me how they managed this one, folks. Gamebanshee sums it up pretty well: http://www.gamebanshee.com/reviews/110209-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-review.html

Being able to zoom in and out is cool, but aside from that...

Planetside 2

It's a shooty game with crappy shooting. I don't care how interesting and dynamic the continental warfare is: if the shooting feels shit, it's not a good shooter.

Max Payne 3

Also a great disappointment for me. Cover mechanics and not nearly enough bullet time.

...I just realized how goddamn LONG this year seemed overall. And how many good games we actually got, and how few bombs. Good times, good times.

This year has been very slow for me . VERY SLOW. I haven't played many 2012 releases . But on i did buy and hated was SOUL CALIBUR 5 . Man was that game no fun at all . The redeeming grace of that game was that it had very extensive character creation that any game , not only fighting games , can learn from. But i hated everything else about it .

Medal of Honour: Doorfighter.

Not simply bad, but so bad it may have just killed off Medal of Honour as a series. To remind everyone, Steven Spielberg originally started the MoH series to get Dreamworks into shooters and teach kids about World War 2 at the same time, right after he finished Saving Private Ryan.

Somehow EA have taken that rock solid groundwork from Mr Movies and turned into... whatever the hell that was that came out this year. To say EA missed the point and then lost the plot would be to put it mildly.

This was a Kane & Lynch level event folks, remember it.

I'd like to nominate Battlefield 3 for an honourable mention. It isn't bad as such, but for the level of hype, being not as good as Bad Company 2 or Bf2142 or even it's direct predecessor BF2 is pretty unforgivable. How did they manage to make Battlefield so boring!?

As a second mention,Mass Effect 3. Not the ending, but the fact that in three games Mass Effect has gone from a massive RPG with unique shooting mechanics and a bloody great tank for exploring, to a by-the-numbers corridor shooter where vehicles are banned, abilities are worthless and hour long expansions are sold at inflated prices to... somebody who must really love deus ex machina?

I see a pattern emerging...

There are worse games out there, but since I haven't experienced them myself it would be wrong to judge, but for me this years most disappointing and worst game was assassin's creed 3. To summarise it was a Buggy mess, had very dull side quests, a wtf ending and shit stealth mechanics made this game an instant return to the store

Sorry guys, the only game I really didn't enjoy was Blops 2. I do think it's worth mentioning, though, that it's not for the same reasons most people didn't like it; I quite enjoy the modern warfare series, and although I don't play I that often, when I do, it's always fun, but Black Ops - especially the most recent one - has a really messy aesthetic. Love them or hate them, no one can deny that COD games feature smooth gameplay, but Trayarch has chosen a visual style that is completely at odds with the tight gameplay, and it makes for a really ugly game.

As an aside, I'd just like to stand up for Max Payne 3: yeah, it wasn't the best in the series, but I found the plot thoroughly engaging, and the package as a whole felt very sharp, satisfying and challenging; I just think it got more stick than it deserves for some... misinformed uses of camera effects.

Worst game? Neverdead, potential was there but it was a glitchy, buggy mechanical unsound terribly voice acted terribly animated hole of a game.

That is an actual BAD game, I honestly don't think anyone knows what the difference between worst and most disappointing is looking at the posts above. For example, I'm just as disappointed by Mass Effect 3 as everybody else... but can I objectively say its a bad game? Hell no, are you kidding me? That's ridiculous.

note: For reference my game of the year is The Walking Dead.

Battlefield 3 all the way, not only a fairly bland game overall but it had the call to take up Gig after Gig of storage for updates that you needed to pay to use! My friends still play this weekly but I've long since abandoned it and freed my harddrive.

Fat_Hippo:

Because it's actually WORSE than regular BG1 with tutu installed. Don't ask me how they managed this one, folks. Gamebanshee sums it up pretty well: http://www.gamebanshee.com/reviews/110209-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-review.html

Being able to zoom in and out is cool, but aside from that...

Planetside 2

It's a shooty game with crappy shooting. I don't care how interesting and dynamic the continental warfare is: if the shooting feels shit, it's not a good shooter.

Max Payne 3

Also a great disappointment for me. Cover mechanics and not nearly enough bullet time.

...I just realized how goddamn LONG this year seemed overall. And how many good games we actually got, and how few bombs. Good times, good times.

thanks for posting the review to baldurs gate enhanced. looks like something ill hold off getting for a few months till they fix it.

for me the choice would be mass effect 3. ive never had the ending of a game retroactively destroy my interest in an entire game series like that in 33 years of gaming. quite spectacular really when you think about it

Medal Of Honor gets my vote. Kinda the only bad game I played this year actually.

Two games, actually:

- Resident Evil 6
- Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

Too bad. I'd considered dropping the series after RE5 failed to impress, and I should've listened to my instincts.

Fat_Hippo:

I'm going to have to disagree, in the Enhanced Edition I can play as a duel-wielding Half-Orc Beserker who murders anything that looks at him funny who can team up with a Wild Mage who sometimes drops cows on people. Sure it isn't much of a departure from the Tutu but so far I've had none of these crashes people are complaining about and I'm having fun with the Black Pits so in my opinion this doesn't deserve to be even mentioned on a worst games list.

Borderlands 2: It was disappointing to me, I dunno. I could not enjoy it single player, playing co-op with my friends boiled down to just following them on auto pilot because they knew the game inside out and insisted on doing every quest like a race or a competition and meh, grinding for loot. In spite of it's excellent writing, Borderlands doesn't do it for me anymore.

Ninja Gaiden 3: Wow. How Team Ninja fucked this up so bad I cannot understand, the removal of Obliteration Techniques, the magic system, removing the upgrading of weapons and magic, taking away money, removing the health/magic/money orb system that tied into Ultimate Techniques and removing all weapons other than the Dragon Sword but selling us the Scythe and Claws as DLC....

Fuck this game

Did Inversion come out this year? If not, screw it.
Inversion ruined solid mechanics and a decent concept with some of the dullest characters, enemies and environments I've seen in years, some jaw droppingly stupid story decisions and just about the most boring weapon set in recent memory.
The game sucked. I only payed a tenner for it but I still feel ripped off.

Still, XCOM yay!!

Oh look, very popular high scoring games that people didn't like?.. I did not expect to see that....

How about that Family Guy abomination? I think that stands head and shoulders above any of the games mentioned here so far. That looks horrible and it's priced at $50.

Deathninja19:

Fat_Hippo:

I'm going to have to disagree, in the Enhanced Edition I can play as a duel-wielding Half-Orc Beserker who murders anything that looks at him funny who can team up with a Wild Mage who sometimes drops cows on people. Sure it isn't much of a departure from the Tutu but so far I've had none of these crashes people are complaining about and I'm having fun with the Black Pits so in my opinion this doesn't deserve to be even mentioned on a worst games list.

I think you've misunderstood me. Even in this state, it's still an excellent game (it IS Baldurs fucking Gate). BUT since I consider the Enhanced Edition to be actively WORSE than the base game with free modifications, and this at a higher price, I can definitely see this as one of the years worst and most disappointing releases.

Mass Effect 3 - dumb, boring and buggy inconsistent uber-disappointment.

Having never played it, but experiencing the fallout first-hand, I don't know how anyone can say anything other than Mass Effect 3. I've never seen that kind of backlash, and I doubt I'll ever see it again. There's the games you know are going to be bad like Big Rigs, but it's worse when a series lets you down like ME did.

Fat_Hippo:

Deathninja19:

Fat_Hippo:

I think you've misunderstood me. Even in this state, it's still an excellent game (it IS Baldurs fucking Gate). BUT since I consider the Enhanced Edition to be actively WORSE than the base game with free modifications, and this at a higher price, I can definitely see this as one of the years worst and most disappointing releases.

Oh no I see your point and probably would side with you if I wasn't such an incompetent modder, you see I have problems getting Tutu working on anything but my now broken laptop so having the Enhanced Edition takes all of that (admittedly small) effort away for me. Sure it' double the cost than you can get from some places but honestly that's like $10 and I don't mind paying that for the convenience of never having to mod again.

All I'm saying is I don't think the game deserves to be in a worst games list but I can agree with you that it was a little disappointing that this was all they did to one of my favorite games.

Obviously, I've only played either high profile titles or low profile darlings, so the likelihood of me stumbling across a true contender for "worst game" is exceptionally low. Thus, all I can offer up is disappointing or mediocre games.

And naturally the crown there has to go to Mass Effect 3. From the opening minutes I got that sinking "Phantom Menace" feeling. Dialogue was out of sync, animations were clunky or bizarre, my Shepard looked almost if not entirely wrong due to the mesh not copying over properly, the dialogue was stiff, and there were some hilariously buggy/silly quirks (try running past Anderson during the initial sequence to see what I mean by this). The game evens out after a while, but is still peppered with oddities and missteps. Jessica Chobot's "character" is an abomination, the whole "war assets" mini game is lifeless and bland, the pacing is all over the place, and plot armored super villain Kai Leng is hugely annoying. Cerberus has undergone a further inexplicable transmutation...from terrorist cells to misunderstood human-centric revolutionaries to what is apparently now a massive standing private army. A giant MacGuffin has horned its way into the plot in the form of the Crucible, which everyone endorses as the one and only hope without having any idea what it is or what it does. The shooting mechanics are smooth, but the needlessly streamlined interface (spacebar for everythiiiiing) only serves to highlight a painful lack of environmental interactivity and game play depth compared to contemporaries.

And then we have the ending.

There were some lovely moments. Some POIGNANT moments, even. There's a lot of pathos, and a lot of leaning hard on well established characters that we came to know and love from previous, better games. That newer characters like Jimmy the Walking Stereotype Vega and Reporter Boobs McTitty fall so flat is testament to just how dependent the game is on old faces, all of whom had their arcs closed in ME1 or 2 and are now just hanging around the Normandy doing fan service. The best new character comes in the form of optional day one DLC.

ME3 isn't a TERRIBLE game. It's not Big Rigs or Ultima IX or E.T. But it's not a very GOOD game, either. It's aggressively mediocre, and as the finale to a critically and popularly acclaimed trilogy it's a straight up catastrophe. So on the basis of dashed expectations and squandered potential alone, I think it's a solid entrant for most disappointing game of 2012, at the very least, if not worst.

Aussie Legend:
Worst game? Neverdead, potential was there but it was a glitchy, buggy mechanical unsound terribly voice acted terribly animated hole of a game.

That is an actual BAD game, I honestly don't think anyone knows what the difference between worst and most disappointing is looking at the posts above. For example, I'm just as disappointed by Mass Effect 3 as everybody else... but can I objectively say its a bad game? Hell no, are you kidding me? That's ridiculous.

note: For reference my game of the year is The Walking Dead.

Well, I had a pretty shit time with RE6, despite it being "functional." A game doesn't have to be sputtering to death to be totally shit, you know.

Of what I played or saw first hand...

Edit: Oh, and Gratuitious Space Battles (gifted via Steam, and a silly story behind that how that happened).
I totally forgot this one, but I don't think it came out this year anyway.
Eh, I'll comment anyway.

I've called games a "Trainwreck" before, but until now I didn't think that term could be applied so...liberally. The purpose of the game is to build a fleet, and then haphazardly slam them against the enemy fleet while you watch.
It's just that...a flashy wreck that's amusing the first two times you see it, then never again; kinda like a postcard.

Judging by some of the posts and game choices, it sounds more like people who are upset that something didn't live up to their expectations than being an actual "Worst game" of the year. Many of the games people have listed are far from being worst. Worst game would be something that simply doesn't work, either as broken mechanics or awful story.

Infact, let's change the title of the thread to "Games that disappointed me or I didn't like but I'll call the worst game of the year" thread.

My vote would be AMY, because the game was just broken.

Zhukov:
Of the games released this year that I have played:

- Dragon's Dogma.

Once again, tiny slivers of potential, this time in the combat. Everything else was crap. The game looked like muddy green/brown puke. The story was shit consisting of little more than, "You are chosen one, go save world from dragon after doing fetch quests". Not a single character worthy of the term. Interface was horrific. Most of your time is spent slogging across the country side (because the quick travel system was a joke) fighting the same respawning enemies in the same places.

Me personally .. i loved this game, apart from a few little problems i had with it (damn my stupidly small characater that couldn't carry shit)... But i loved what it did for the ARPG. Something very fresh, and the story, although a little cliched on the surface, had a lovely new feel to it underneath, especially the dark dark ending.

I just hope it did well enough for capcom to make a sequel, because i think for a new IP trying very very new things, it did a great job. AND CLIMBING FUCKIN HYDRAS AND DECAPITATING THEM!!! win.

edit: My god the lighting was fucking gorgeous in this game too. Fighting a Chimera by the light of 4 lanterns in the dead of night looked amazing. And the sunrise/sunsets were just beautiful... as scary as the sunset was when you were in the middle of fucking nowhere and low on edibles because ohgods skeleton lords and chimeras and 1252523 dire wolves!

Anyways:

Max Payne 3 would take most disappoint for me. couldn't even be bothered finishing one play through. Most fun is when accidentally shoot dodging in bizarre and amusing circumstances.

Worst game? Out of the box install of Dark Souls PTD Edition on pc. I heard a modder fixed it, but i didn't even get through the first corridor before shuddering and killing it and waiting for DLC on PS3. Don't get me wrong, i love FromSoft for trying, and they warned everyone it would be bad because they didn't know what they were doing, but ... hey, lots of people screamed for it and they listened.

Waaghpowa:
Judging by some of the posts and game choices, it sounds more like people who are upset that something didn't live up to their expectations than being an actual "Worst game" of the year. Many of the games people have listed are far from being worst. Worst game would be something that simply doesn't work, either as broken mechanics or awful story.

Infact, let's change the title of the thread to "Games that disappointed me or I didn't like but I'll call the worst game of the year" thread.

My vote would be AMY, because the game was just broken.

I'll just parrot what I said already: "Well, I had a pretty shit time with RE6, despite it being "functional." A game doesn't have to be sputtering to death to be totally shit, you know."

trty00:
I'll just parrot what I said already: "Well, I had a pretty shit time with RE6, despite it being "functional." A game doesn't have to be sputtering to death to be totally shit, you know."

I thought RE6 was terrible as well, but hardly worst game of the year.

I was mostly referring to people who were choosing games like Mass Effect 3, Max Payne 3 and Torchlight as their worst games of the year.

Mass Effect had a shit ending, but it was hardly worst.

Max Payne 3 was actually quite good, and this is coming from someone who still owns the original DVD's from 2001.

Torhlight 2 at least delivers what it promises, which is what a lot of Diablo players wanted that Diablo 3 didn't deliver.

Waaghpowa:

trty00:

I thought RE6 was terrible as well, but hardly worst game of the year.

I was mostly referring to people who were choosing games like Mass Effect 3, Max Payne 3 and Torchlight as their worst games of the year.

Max Payne 3 was actually quite good, and this is coming from someone who still owns the original DVD's from 2001.

Torhlight 2 at least delivers what it promises, which is what a lot of Diablo players wanted that Diablo 3 didn't deliver.

Well, those opinion things sure are wacky, aren't they?

trty00:
Well, those opinion things sure are wacky, aren't they?

Well in that case, Black ops 2 is the worst game of the year because it perpetuates the same crap as last year.

Waaghpowa:

Most people are addressing the fact that these are disappointing games rather than flat out broken. It's not like we can hand the prize for our personal worst game of the year to something we haven't played.

As for MP3, I haven't played it, but you can't really gainsay someone's opinion. 90% of what makes a game "good" or "bad" is entirely subjective.

Either I'm super cynical, or this has been an awful, disappointing year for video games.
I hated X Com, Assassin's Creed 3, Guild Wars 2. I played the trial of Mists of Pandaria for about 45 minutes and decided to not purchase the expansion or renew my sub to the game.

I guess if I had to pick a worst game, at least from the big titles released that I've played, I'd pick X Com, if only for the fact that the core of a good game is there, but that it is unplayable because of the difficulty levels. If I play on Classic, I get sniped from across the map, miss all my shots, and give up because I get tired of watching aliens dodge all of my attacks. If I play on Normal, I steamroll everything and get no challenge.

It really makes the game unplayable for me on the two difficulty levels, and it's especially frustrating because there is probably a pretty good game under all that unplayability.

2012 really has been disappointing. Though I guess 2011 is a hard act to follow. Last year I was trying to decide which game I liked most. I finally decided that it was Dark Souls.

Edit: How could I forget Mass Effect 3? It was so bad, I didn't even want to finish it to find out the ending that everyone was so mad about. I only recently saw it, and that is because my wife finally played it.

I still dislike X Com more though.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or