Worst game(s) of 2012?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Waaghpowa:

trty00:
Well, those opinion things sure are wacky, aren't they?

Well in that case, Black ops 2 is the worst game of the year because it perpetuates the same crap as last year.

Okay, THAT would be a bad reason, but I haven't seen anything like that... yet.

I'm a bit confused, if it's worst game of 2012 why are people saying Battlefield 3 when that came out last year?

As for mine, it would be Assassins Creed Liberation, it's slow, combat is pure crap and the sound quality is disappointing, at first I thought it was just the Vita's speakers but then I played Uncharted on it.

fix-the-spade:
Medal of Honour: Doorfighter.

Not simply bad, but so bad it may have just killed off Medal of Honour as a series. To remind everyone, Steven Spielberg originally started the MoH series to get Dreamworks into shooters and teach kids about World War 2 at the same time, right after he finished Saving Private Ryan.

Somehow EA have taken that rock solid groundwork from Mr Movies and turned into... whatever the hell that was that came out this year. To say EA missed the point and then lost the plot would be to put it mildly.

It isn't bad, more just a wasted opportunity, it's just rushed, unfinished and so ridiculously bland that I literally remember nothing about it except it was kinda brown and had THE WORST MENU SYSTEMS I HAVE EVER, EVER(!!!) EXPERIENCED.

OT:

Doorfighter. Wasted potential and as above. Good job EA, finally getting tat you need to stop chasing COD? Another year in development and some fresh ideas and it might not have sucked.

Um, I didn't mind Resi 6 though it was frustrating at times.

Ass Creed 3 is literally the only game to ever make me throw a controller across a room in anger at the god damn broken shit in the game. (Played pre-patch, chases are fixed I here, don't wish to experience the Charles Lee bullshittery again thanks and it should have been functional and not retarded on launch). Also it's really boring, the world is boring, the characters are boring excet for Haytham who you actually see very little of, the game is too focused on making you fucking Batman and forgets about sneaky sneaky stabbing.

Can't think of much else tbh, been an okay year though I didn't buy too many games. 2011 was a better year for me I think.

Just how on EARTH are the games being listed here WORSE than AMY?!
That's insane guys.

Prototype 2: The ending somehow managed to be worse than Me3's. They replaced Alex with some whiny jerkoff, and when Alex does show up, they completely ruin him! I thought a big part of the first game was that he was at least better than the original, but no, here he's a genocidal Saturday-morning cartoon villain who tries to kill his beloved sister. Y'know, the one he literally tore the city apart to save?

Amy: Literally nothing I can say about it that no-one else hasn't said before.

Anna: Incomprehensible logic, rubbish graphics, worse controls and interface, head-ache inducing sound design and stupid artistic pretensions. Can someone remind me why I bought it again?

Resident Evil 6: The returning characters are ruined, the new ones bland, the healing system is stupidly complicated, there's no ability to pause so I hope you enjoy having to wait until the next autosave to go to the toilet and the co-op is dreadful.

Assassin's creed 3: Just plain boring.

Worst game I personally played this year was Resident Evil: ORC

Even though I had a fair amount of fun playing it with my friends. It's the sort of fun you get from experiencing a train-wreck with your buds.

The game itself has a lot of good ideas, and a lot of it sounds good on paper, but almost all of it suffers from botched execution and incredibly shitty design choices. I think it's the worst game I experienced this year because the whole thing is a sloppy mess, slapped together like shit.

l3o2828:
That's insane guys.

I stayed away from it, so I can't comment on how much it truly sucks lol.

BloatedGuppy:

Waaghpowa:
I was mostly referring to people who were choosing games like Mass Effect 3, Max Payne 3 and Torchlight as their worst games of the year.

Mass Effect had a shit ending, but it was hardly worst.

Max Payne 3 was actually quite good, and this is coming from someone who still owns the original DVD's from 2001.

Most people are addressing the fact that these are disappointing games rather than flat out broken. It's not like we can hand the prize for our personal worst game of the year to something we haven't played.

As for MP3, I haven't played it, but you can't really gainsay someone's opinion. 90% of what makes a game "good" or "bad" is entirely subjective.

I don't think a game being disappointing is fair to call it "worst". In my opinion, most games in the last couple years have been disappointing, but it won't stop me from saying that they were still great. My best game of last year was The Witcher 2, but the ending was a disappointing cliff hanger. Everything leading up to it was great.

I agree with your points on Mass Effect 3 though, I still don't think I could call it worst game, as much as I feel I should.

The thing is Max Payne 3 is good because it keeps, for the most part, the style and theme that past Max Payne games have had. A broken man, down on his luck, trying to be the good guy, he's fighting to stay alive but doesn't actually care what happens to him. It even keeps the same mechanics while improving on them. It felt like a Max Payne game while improving itself mechanically.

trty00:

Waaghpowa:

trty00:
Well, those opinion things sure are wacky, aren't they?

Well in that case, Black ops 2 is the worst game of the year because it perpetuates the same crap as last year.

I would say that being the same thing every year is a good reason for considering it for worst game, but then again, those opinions sure are wacky aren't they?

Atmos Duality:
Of what I played or saw first hand...

There is no 3DS pokemon yet so I won't point to that for you, the latest Pokemon titles are normal old DS games. The 3DS i a bit of a drag I think thus far I have 3 games for it, the most enjoyable of which is Theatrhythm because it's actually interesting. Super Mario 3D Land is fine, but it's hardly fresh or interesting, it's no Sunshine or Galaxy. (NSMB2 looks shit, 4 games into the reboot and the same 8 level themes each time? Fuck you Nintendo). Kingdom Hearts 3D; got into it a bit, it's okay, don't like the constant switching between the two characters, not as good as Birth By Sleep, when do we get Kingdom Hearts 3?.

So yeah. 3DS. Mine's gathering a bit of dust sadly.

Tohuvabohu:
Worst game I personally played this year was Resident Evil: ORC

Even though I had a fair amount of fun playing it with my friends. It's the sort of fun you get from experiencing a train-wreck with your buds.

The game itself has a lot of good ideas, and a lot of it sounds good on paper, but almost all of it suffers from botched execution and incredibly shitty design choices. I think it's the worst game I experienced this year because the whole thing is a sloppy mess, slapped together like shit.

We call this phenomenon of playing bad and unfinished games with friends and finding it enjoyable anyway Lost Planet syndrome.

Waaghpowa:

trty00:

Waaghpowa:

I would say that being the same thing every year is a good reason for considering it for worst game, but then again, those opinions sure are wacky aren't they?

Hell yes they are! As such, I don't care why you think the way you do.

Waaghpowa:
I don't think a game being disappointing is fair to call it "worst". In my opinion, most games in the last couple years have been disappointing, but it won't stop me from saying that they were still great. My best game of last year was The Witcher 2, but the ending was a disappointing cliff hanger. Everything leading up to it was great.

I agree with your points on Mass Effect 3 though, I still don't think I could call it worst game, as much as I feel I should.

The thing is Max Payne 3 is good because it keeps, for the most part, the style and theme that past Max Payne games have had. A broken man, down on his luck, trying to be the good guy, he's fighting to stay alive but doesn't actually care what happens to him. It even keeps the same mechanics while improving on them. It felt like a Max Payne game while improving itself mechanically.

Of course it's fair. "Worst" is entirely relative. If I play three games in a year one of them has to be "worst", doesn't it?

I qualified my rant about ME3 by saying it wasn't really a contender for "worst" the way truly atrocious games are, but it was certainly the worst game *I* played this year, and it's a pretty hardcore contender for most disappointing game I played in 30 years of gaming. Ultima IX probably beats it by a nose, but my expectations were already low there due to VIII.

There are very few games I'd view as so objectively good as to be "critic proof", and Max Payne ain't one of them. If Zhukov hated it, we're not really in a position to say he's wrong for hating it. Sometimes games just rub people the wrong way. I wanted to throw Metro 2033 out the window and it's a sacred cow on these forums.

Way of The Samurai 4. It was download only, and it was short and the combat got repetitive and obnoxious.

Also, go on youtube and watch some the cut-scenes involving water. It truly has the best water physics of any game of our generation. If Way of the Samurai doesn't win awards for best gameplay, it will at least win an award for best water physics.

BloatedGuppy:
Of course it's fair. "Worst" is entirely relative. If I play three games in a year one of them has to be "worst", doesn't it?

I qualified my rant about ME3 by saying it wasn't really a contender for "worst" the way truly atrocious games are, but it was certainly the worst game *I* played this year, and it's a pretty hardcore contender for most disappointing game I played in 30 years of gaming. Ultima IX probably beats it by a nose, but my expectations were already low there due to VIII.

There are very few games I'd view as so objectively good as to be "critic proof", and Max Payne ain't one of them. If Zhukov hated it, we're not really in a position to say he's wrong for hating it. Sometimes games just rub people the wrong way. I wanted to throw Metro 2033 out the window and it's a sacred cow on these forums.

I didn't mean to imply that I thought anyone was wrong for choosing one game or another for worst. Perhaps I'm just indecisive and can't find justification to label a game as "worst".

My worst game of the year.

ME3 dumb, boring and buggy inconsistent and that before the crap that was the ending.

Zhukov:
Of the games released this year that I have played:

- Max Payne 3

Combat that felt like a repetitive chore. Slo-mo, headshot, slo-mo, headshot, slo-mo, headshot. If you're out of slo-mo juice then the high accuracy and damage of your enemies, absence of regenerating health and rarity of healing items mean you're reduced to played cover-based peek-a-boo. Then there's the bright, flickering headache-inducing cutscenes that pop up every single time you so much as open a door. Oh, and the whole thing is narrated by a grumpy prick trying waaaay to hard to be cynical.

- Kingdoms of Amular: Reckoning

Actually had some tiny glimmers of potential in the setting. Sadly, that potential was swiftly buried under a boring story, tissue thin characters, constantly respawning enemies and combat so simplistic that I could literally win fights with my eyes closed even on the hardest settings.

Damn, I agree with every point you made for both games though its Max Payne 3 for me, Amalur was quite a good time sink. Story was shit though.

Now to my picks

Diablo 3

Like many other gamers out there, this game is what made me sever ties with Blizz. The problems of this game are many but the people who took enough time to rant about it are ever more than that. I won't bother justifying this one cause I'll just be parroting what everyone else has said.

Assassin's Creed 3

Don't get me wrong, it is an awesome game. However, comparing it to the previous games I can't help but feel that this one was disproportionately full of fluff. A lot of the missions feel like mini-games. What the hell happened to the core game play of me finding about a billion different creative and fun ways to kill people.

The game has its merits but I can't shake the feeling this sequel didn't live up to any the standards of the entire series as a whole. The last mission IMO was the most anti-climactic ending mission I've encountered in the series so far. The ship thing was great though.

I have to admit, I'm actually putting this game here out of sheer spite for Ubisoft. I love Assassin's Creed but their newest entries are starting to ruin it for me.

The correct answer is Star Wars Kinect.

It has no redeeming features.

PreviouslyPwned:

You can't be serious! It's brilliant! Brilliant!

It's so bad it's absolutely fantastic. With a team of geniuses working 24/7 I couldn't have come up with something that ball numbingly horrifying. Those guys deserve some kind of prize.

That would be Diablo 3 for me-

They clearly don't know how to write plot twist/ plots involement without TELLING you about it.

The stats in the game is not useful at all.

The game become boring and a total grindhouse and they still want the game to be played long terms?

Revelations 2012.

See you next year, people!

kman123:

Ghost Recon FS: it was ok...but it really wasn't what I was expecting. Like...I wanted Ghost Recon. I got if Ghost Recon went through the CoD syndrome.

Certainly my Most Disappointing game this year, if only because it looked like it was going to be good and I got really excited. Should have paid attention to Yahtzee's Gamer Matrix.

Since i never even touched the really shitty games i'll follow everyones else's example and pick a decent game as the worst thing that happened to gaming in 2012.

Kingdoms of Amalur: reckoning. I really love rpg's, but this one felt like a not so great mmo without the social stuff, didn't even bother to finish it and i don't plan to.

And everything that nintendo made this year because for some reason i dislike their consoles and their kiddy game sequels that they keep making since the dawn of time.

Kingdoms of Amular: Reckoning

Played the demo, kinda interesting, picked it up cheap, glad I didn't pay more.
It's had to point out one main fault as I think my problem with the game is all the small issues/glitches.

All the other games I picked up this year have had flaws (ACIII, a main character more boring than Desmond? Impossible! ME3, that ending) but are games I will go back to and continue to enjoy, Kingdoms of Amular however, you couldn't get me to go near again if you paid me.

BloatedGuppy:

PreviouslyPwned:

It's so bad it's absolutely fantastic. With a team of geniuses working 24/7 I couldn't have come up with something that ball numbingly horrifying. Those guys deserve some kind of prize.

I think this abomination just won this thread.. After watching that video for 1 minute i wanted to punch myself.

BloatedGuppy:

PreviouslyPwned:

What... what the fuck was that? I... what? Oh god. /shudder

You win... just, make it stop. Please.

(I will now have "I'm Han Solo, Solo" stuck in my head all day. Fuck.)

IndomitableSam:
(I will now have "I'm Han Solo, Solo" stuck in my head all day. Fuck.)

Did you look at the dance moves? They have names. Like "Chewie Hug" and "Trash Compactor".

Seriously though, it's passed the magic threshold of "so awful it's amazing". There's a perverse genius to it.

Can we judge worst game while taking into account price point? If so, then I choose most military shooters that cost 60 bucks, have focus on multi player and have a tacked on, linear, set piece filled single player about Americans going "fuck yeah!". So the big two are fairly obvious.

Waaghpowa:
Judging by some of the posts and game choices, it sounds more like people who are upset that something didn't live up to their expectations than being an actual "Worst game" of the year. Many of the games people have listed are far from being worst. Worst game would be something that simply doesn't work, either as broken mechanics or awful story.

Infact, let's change the title of the thread to "Games that disappointed me or I didn't like but I'll call the worst game of the year" thread.

My vote would be AMY, because the game was just broken.

Isn't that how most of these threads go down around here?

OT: Well, I'm not sure I've really played any bad games this year. By word of mouth, I could mention Amy or Revelations 2012, as those seem to be some of the most poorly-received games I've heard of this year. Neverdead at least got points for its gimmick.

SkarKrow:

There is no 3DS pokemon yet so I won't point to that for you, the latest Pokemon titles are normal old DS games.

Huh. I thought there was one out by now..
*double checks*
Yeah, Conquest is just a DS game. My bad.

So the game I see most people playing on their 3DS isn't even a 3DS game.
Amazing.

Atmos Duality:

SkarKrow:

There is no 3DS pokemon yet so I won't point to that for you, the latest Pokemon titles are normal old DS games.

Huh. I thought there was one out by now..
*double checks*
Yeah, Conquest is just a DS game. My bad.

So the game I see most people playing on their 3DS isn't even a 3DS game.
Amazing.

I use my DSi XL to play DS games because the 3DS does some weird reactive contrast thing that makes rpg's suddenly dip and rise in brightness if it's a DS game. Or mine is defective, but it doesn;t do it for anything else. Weird.

BUt yeah, I think there's a pokemon rumble or something on it but unless it's a main-series pokemon game idc.
Conquest is alright but it really is just babies first tbs.

This year as in where released in this year: Kindoms of amalur or something like that.

Pretty bland and boring. Meh Combat. So averaguey. I guess that comming right after Skyrim didnt help, but still, I dont think it was going to change my opinion very much.

I played this year but was relased in some other year:

Dragon Age. Unbeaten champion ultimate number 1 as the most boring, bland, brown, badly done combat, linear, (Insert at least 15 other reasons as to why this game is not merely bad or horrible but the very worst of the worst) Videogame that I have ever played (And for that matter seen, too- I rather play Big Rigs, that game seems like it could be worth playing if just to laugh at how bad it is- Dragon age is so fucking bad it somehow manages to pass that line of so bad its good and plain be horrible)

I try, I really try to understand why people enjoined that game, dammit I TRIED but I just cant...Fuck you Dragon age!

/rant.

Okay but seriously. Dragon age is really the worst game that I have played in 2012 (And for that matter of my 16 years of gaming).

From least offensive to the worst:

XCom - I had high hopes because I'm a huge XCom fan and I hope they can do something with Apocalypse as well - and hopefully more effort than this. This XCom was thrilling for maybe the first several hours. Then... I feel like I'd already played it all year, and the game just ends up being absolute routine just so you can finish the game. The game just feels very limited. That and the game is seriously buggy in the levels where you're mostly indoors - I end up misclicking 70-80% of my units moves simply because it cannot decide if my perspective was on level 2 or 3 or 2.5 or 3.1.

Mass Effect 3 - I think I enjoyed perhaps the first couple of hours of the game but then the whole thing started to feel like it was beginning to lose momentum. I think it was a lot of wasted potential, and if anything, I think everything towards the ending was rushed to meet a deadline - thus giving us the choice of 3 fatalistic endings each slightly worse than the others in a different way - and telling every ME player "F--- YOU AND ALL THE EFFORT YOU WENT TO MAKING YOUR SHEPARD STORY ABOUT MAKING EVERYONE IN THE UNIVERSE GET ALONG, THIS IS NOT A CHOICE, NO YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO HAVE ANYTHING DIFFERENT, BECAUSE SHEPARD'S GOING TO BE A REAPER'S BITCH IN THE END NO MATTER WHAT YOU CHOOSE".

Worstest game evar in 2012: Diablo III. Please don't even bother defending the game. I agree with a comment I saw above - "It's like a complicated slot machine" I can't agree more. If anything, I feel like this game was entirely designed around the marketplace, and the game and story itself took a backseat on a carriage where the actual engine of the train had taken off without it. I swear - not allowed to choose a class specialisation and build your character stats your own way? do you know how BLAND that makes the gameplay? Blizzard ended up making a totally pedestrian game made for pedestrians where grinding > gameplay and dynamics.
And I think this game is so bad, that I'm going to spoil it for anyone else still yet to decide to get it or not - because the story was so poorly thought out, paced, and once again - becomes a bitch to the marketplace and grinding, that the story should be its own warning to people away from this game: DECKARD CAIN DIES IN ACT 1 - ALL HE WILL AMOUNT TO IS SIMPLY THAT HE IS AN OLD MAN WHO DIES LIKE A COCKROACH UNDER MY FOOT, NO MYSTERY, NO STORY ARC ABOUT HOW HE IS PART OF THE HORADRIM, NO SECRETS OR EVEN ANY EMOTIONAL CONNECTION WHEN HE DIES. HE JUST GETS BITCHSLAPPED BY A BOSS THAT DIES WHEN YOU SNEEZE ON IT. GOODBYE STORY. STAY A WHILE AND F--- YOU.

Seriously Blizzard, this behavior is so EA it's not funny. Go ahead and design more of your games for farming our cash instead of designing a game for the sake of enjoyment, emotion, and inspiration - and of course, for the sake of gaming itself - you can make yourself the biggest joke for a game developer right up there next to EA.

SkarKrow:

I use my DSi XL to play DS games because the 3DS does some weird reactive contrast thing that makes rpg's suddenly dip and rise in brightness if it's a DS game. Or mine is defective, but it doesn;t do it for anything else. Weird.

I haven't encountered that particular problem. Actually, the best thing I can say about my 3DS is that its manufacturing quality is superb. No dead pixels, speakers work exactly as advertised, battery life isn't that bad if you leave the wireless off...

Does it happen only in specific games?

BUt yeah, I think there's a pokemon rumble or something on it but unless it's a main-series pokemon game idc.

I had flashbacks to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance after seeing it in action.
Of course, non-competitive (only vs AI) Pokemon is mind numbingly easy already, so I suppose that fits.

Waaghpowa:

Mass Effect had a shit ending, but it was hardly worst.

Eh, fair enough, but I still put it on my list because it brought out the worst in the gaming community.
Seriously, there's regular fanboy bitching, and then there's what amounts to a mass-riot in the gaming community; I've never seen bitching at this scale and magnitude before over a goddamn video game.

And since I had to put up with a solid month of people stumbling over the word "entitled" for no good reason, I'm keeping it on my list, just out of spite. (oh and the ME3 multiplayer rewards kill stealing and passive-griefing. Great design work there Bioware.)

Torhlight 2 at least delivers what it promises, which is what a lot of Diablo players wanted that Diablo 3 didn't deliver.

Agreed, and lest anyone forget at least Torchlight 2 was playable on launch, rather than 2 weeks later.

Atmos Duality:

SkarKrow:

I haven't encountered that particular problem. Actually, the best thing I can say about my 3DS is that its manufacturing quality is superb. No dead pixels, speakers work exactly as advertised, battery life isn't that bad if you leave the wireless off...

Does it happen only in specific games?

I had flashbacks to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance after seeing it in action.
Of course, non-competitive (only vs AI) Pokemon is mind numbingly easy already, so I suppose that fits.

Um yeah mostly just with pokemon games it's odd, it's as if the backlight is adjusting to the screen or something dumb like that. Haven't noticed it with any other games or any 3DS games. It's not a deal breaker because I have my DSi but it is kinda annoying. Lighting is one of those things I get pissed off about really easily, it's 95% of the reasons I dislike Battlefield 3 and it's dumb engine _.

Want destructo -phsyics? Yeah? Well sorry, we made those shitty in exchange for obnoxious flashlight mechanics and bloom!

Yeah see, I like FFTA, it's enjoyable enough and can be challenging at times even though it doesn't scratch the strategy itch the same way as something like Disgaea does. I got bored of Disgaea after the second, for the record. Too much fucking grinding and healers are worthless mostly.
BUt Pokemon Conquest is pretty enjoyable, although it is abysmally easy and quite a bit of it is just busy work.

Been playing company of heroes, that's scratching my strategy itch nicely. Tis not an itch I get often mind.

Edit: Know what I'd like on 3DS? An old school Final Fantasy, not a remake, a brand new game with a brand new story, but done in the style of 3 through 6. ATB system + gorgeous sprites + gripping 40 hour plus non-angst-ridden tale = A day one buy.

Out of the games I have played, AC3 is probably the worst one. I guess I just don't play enough bad games, luckily...

l3o2828:
That's insane guys.

Because most people never played Amy.
It might be an bad game, and that is more reason for me to avoid it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here