Worst game(s) of 2012?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Iwata:

Bvenged:

kman123:
Ghost Recon FS: it was ok...but it really wasn't what I was expecting. Like...I wanted Ghost Recon. I got if Ghost Recon went through the CoD syndrome.

Pretty much this. Ghost Recon: Future Soldier is my worst game of 2012 for Kman123's reason.

It's not Ghost Recon so much as it's "Ghost of Duty". I know it's cool to say a game's shit because it's like CoD, but this really is the one instance where the game literally feels like it was dragged through the CoD hedge. Stupidly linear story that practically plays itself out with gung-ho fights, where you can take a gazillion bullets and not get penalised for being a shit at the game, with a learning curve of a ruled-straight line and the excitement of not getting the present you wanted at Xmas. coolest features it has is invisibility, but that was in games for up to a decade beforehand.

Real-time rendered, b-class action movie... basically. Not what Ghost Recon was about at all. Their prized gunsmith was crap too. I had no incentive to customise my guns, and on my attempted second playthrough on the hardest difficulty (about 7 hours total gametime, it really is that short) I stopped using the gunsmith and hardly noticed a difference in gameplay, for better or worse.

Crap game. I gave up after only my 3rd or so death halfway though the hardest difficulty because the game was so damn repetitively boring. Ubisoft, you suck ass for ruining what were gems of game series'.

So, basically it went the way of Rainbow Six. I know most people gush over the R6: Vegas games, but they're a far cry from Rogue Spear or Raven Shield, and I was afraid Ghost Recon would follow suit.

Glad I didn't pick this one up, then.

What we need is a new SWAT game.

Bingo - Everything you said there hit a note with me. I like the way you think Sir.

SWAT 4 was the shit in 2004. Raven Shield and rogue Spear put Ghost Recon to shame at the time as well. While I enjoyed RSVegas, it was no Raven Shield. Splinter Cell went southwards with Double Agent, too, by introducing the "Guns Blazing" approach as a viable way to win the game.

Bvenged:

Iwata:

Bvenged:

Pretty much this. Ghost Recon: Future Soldier is my worst game of 2012 for Kman123's reason.

It's not Ghost Recon so much as it's "Ghost of Duty". I know it's cool to say a game's shit because it's like CoD, but this really is the one instance where the game literally feels like it was dragged through the CoD hedge. Stupidly linear story that practically plays itself out with gung-ho fights, where you can take a gazillion bullets and not get penalised for being a shit at the game, with a learning curve of a ruled-straight line and the excitement of not getting the present you wanted at Xmas. coolest features it has is invisibility, but that was in games for up to a decade beforehand.

Real-time rendered, b-class action movie... basically. Not what Ghost Recon was about at all. Their prized gunsmith was crap too. I had no incentive to customise my guns, and on my attempted second playthrough on the hardest difficulty (about 7 hours total gametime, it really is that short) I stopped using the gunsmith and hardly noticed a difference in gameplay, for better or worse.

Crap game. I gave up after only my 3rd or so death halfway though the hardest difficulty because the game was so damn repetitively boring. Ubisoft, you suck ass for ruining what were gems of game series'.

So, basically it went the way of Rainbow Six. I know most people gush over the R6: Vegas games, but they're a far cry from Rogue Spear or Raven Shield, and I was afraid Ghost Recon would follow suit.

Bingo - Everything you said there hit a note with me. I like the way you think Sir.

SWAT 4 was the shit in 2004. Raven Shield and rogue Spear put Ghost Recon to shame at the time as well. While I enjoyed RSVegas, it was no Raven Shield. Splinter Cell went southwards with Double Agent, too, by introducing the "Guns Blazing" approach as a viable way to win the game.

Ghost recon Fs, I had so much hope for this game. Specificaly that early E3 gameplay that was never even featured in the game, wtf happened to the shoulder rocket pods, or the the mini combat rover

Yabba:

Bvenged:

Iwata:

Ghost recon Fs, I had so much hope for this game. Specificaly that early E3 gameplay that was never even featured in the game, wtf happened to the shoulder rocket pods, or the the mini combat rover

I know, right? That actually looked good. That and being able to order your squad around. WTF happened to it? Ubisoft's crusade to water down their strongest franchises is what. Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell... Only Rayman Origins, Assassins creed and Far Cry remain true to their core untarnished. Give it time...

MiracleOfSound:
Medal Of Honor gets my vote. Kinda the only bad game I played this year actually.

Thought you might've said Resident Evil 6 as well, you didn't seem too enamoured with it, to put it lightly =P

Anyway, out of all the games I've played, probably Ghost Recon: Future Soldier. It wasn't terrible, but it was just so overwhelmingly mediocre which is a huge disappointment for me considering the enjoyment I'd previously had with the series.

For me it's either:

Fez- a rather boring and poorly executed platformer with very few redeeming features. Doesn't sound so bad, but it's made infinitley worse by the fact it was hyped up as if it was gods gift to gaming, the developer is an arsehole, oh and it contains memes.

Diablo III- inferior in almost everyway to D2, its Pay 2 win, the graphic style is terrible and lazy and the gameplay is just pure garbage.

Atmos Duality:
Of what I played or saw first hand...

Cuacuani:

kman123:

Ghost Recon FS: it was ok...but it really wasn't what I was expecting. Like...I wanted Ghost Recon. I got if Ghost Recon went through the CoD syndrome.

Certainly my Most Disappointing game this year, if only because it looked like it was going to be good and I got really excited. Should have paid attention to Yahtzee's Gamer Matrix.

Should of paid attention to every GR game since GR 1. (the only good one)AND UBI's butchering of the R6 series.

Medal of Honor: Warfighter
Resident Evil 6
Halo 4
Call of Duty: Blacks Ops 2
Mass Effect 3
Borderlands 2

You know, I am one of those people who can forgive a game for many of its faults. I loved many of the games alot of people said were dissapointing to them, such as Borderlands 2, Mass Effect 3 (except for the ending for obvious reasons), and even Assassin's Creed 3. It's not like I ignore their faults, its just that there not that big of a deal to me..the faults don't get into the way of me having fun...yet there is one game to an exception to all of this....

I paid 40 bucks for Mists of Pandaria, and another 15 to get my subscription activated, and I regretted spending that money. I what is considered a Cata-baby and towards the end of Cataclysm's life cycle, I decided to go on hiatus. Coming back I was hoping for some differences...hoping that maybe Blizzard took a few ques from Guild Wars 2 and other MMO's, but coming back to WoW I realized none of that had happened. Granted the new areas were nice, but I was bored within the hour...and boredom is the cardinal sin all video games should avoid, even MMO's.

Honestly, I don't know. I don't really have a "worst game," but almost every game that came out this year was disappointing to me. Maybe they were all cases of over-hype, but something about this year was just kind of... bland.

Guild Wars 2 was very disappointing. I ended up quitting at level 16. It was far too grindy, and far too pushy with dynamic events. I wanted to be able to play straight through my story, but I got sick of having to stop every other mission because I was underleveled by 2 or 3 levels.

Borderlands 2 was mildly disappointing as well, but not to the same extent. Its fun when I play it, but I get bored after an hour or two. Another thing is, for some reason, I never get a craving for it. The only time I play is when one of my friends says, "Hey lets play Borderlands."

DIII was really fun, but I haven't played it since I beat it, not even on my other characters.

And, while I'm on the complain-train, Halo 4 has some great things going for it, but the killstreaks and allowing the flag carrier to have a gun are absolutely idiotic. This is Halo, not Call of Duty. Freakin A.

The old Republic... Yet another MMO idea messed up by EA. They make their studios change a shitload of stuff to make the game more appealing and end up with a bad game, reminds me of Warhammer online really, pretty sad as there was potential. And now it has a free to play option where you have to pay to hide your helmet, pvp more than twice a week or have more than 2 hotkey bars, if this isn't fucked up I don't know what is.

Funny how people seem to be hating on some releases I actually liked a lot this year.

My least favorite game this year was Dragon's Dogma. It just felt completely soulless to me, which is the worst thing a game can do.

I don't think I can answer this...I actuallly don't think I've bought a bad game all year. I've got Journey, Kingdoms of Amalur, Spec Ops, Dragon's Dogma, and PS All-Stars all vying for the top spot in my Game of the Year category, but I honestly don't have a worst game this year, which is great :)

...this thread made me realize that I bought a grand total of one game that was released this year. So I guess the best and worst is Torchlight 2. I thought it was okay. More fun than Diablo 2, but clickfest action RPGs just aren't my thing anymore.

I did buy a whole bunch of older games this year, though. Thanks to my jobs for the past 10 years or so, I have a gigantic backlog... I don't think I'll ever get another game in its launch year, much less on launch day.

Andy Shandy:

MiracleOfSound:
Medal Of Honor gets my vote. Kinda the only bad game I played this year actually.

Thought you might've said Resident Evil 6 as well, you didn't seem too enamoured with it, to put it lightly =P

Anyway, out of all the games I've played, probably Ghost Recon: Future Soldier. It wasn't terrible, but it was just so overwhelmingly mediocre which is a huge disappointment for me considering the enjoyment I'd previously had with the series.

Oh yeah, forgot about that one. That game blew chunks.

Frostbite3789:

BroJing:
Battlefield 3 all the way, not only a fairly bland game overall but it had the call to take up Gig after Gig of storage for updates that you needed to pay to use! My friends still play this weekly but I've long since abandoned it and freed my harddrive.

Not sure why two people have mentioned this now. I feel a lot of "Hate EA because it's cool" syndrome. This game came out in 2011 by the way, thereby making it a null point in the discussion at hand.

To be honest I really don't mind EA (I buy Madden every two years or so, I didn't care that much about ME3s ending etc) but I really can't afford to have my storage space clogged with content I literally can't afford to play. It's like someone using two rooms of my house to store gold and saying I can have as much as I want if I can pay the value.

huh? no one mentioned 007 legends for pc...

well, people have a pretty high standard for "worse game" this year.

at least most of them are playable.

Andy Shandy:

MiracleOfSound:

and lets ignore the shittrain that is Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

and my feeling that people are bitching about games that werent a disastrous pile of shit goes on...

So much bile in this thread...
I'd go for Amy and Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City for how utterly broken they are, and also Resident Evil 6, although not broken in any sense and actually being playable, it's still a mishmash of all the things that are wrong in this generation.

Honorable mention goes to: Medal of Honor - Door Fighter (seriously, I'll never get sick of that joke).

Broke both legs short of the finish line Award: Mass Effect 3

The amount of bile generated by the ending of what was supposed to be a dramatic finale to a galaxy spanning story was amazing. The 'locked' perfect ending behind the tacked on mulitplayer when we were 'assured' that such an event wouldn't happen was the salt rubbed into the wound.

Hamstrung and beaten by DRM to death Award: Diablo 3

It isn't really DRM but the Real World Auction House is more like some form of malignant tumour, engineering EVERY aspect of the game, from loot drops to the ability to even play the bloody thing sends it into the realm of Starforce and SecureROM. The fact that Blizzard gets a cut from all trades doesn't help its case.

Generic Award of Mediocrity: Medal of Honor: Warfighter

Really who else could it go to but the epitome of generic Modern FPS.

What were they thinking with this sequel Award: Assassin's Creed 3

Of all the places they had to go to, why Colonial Era America? Why not the French Revolution? Where the ideals of Liberté, égalité, fraternité gave way to the Reign of Terror, in a setting that's full of cities to climb, free-run, mis-judge a gap and splatter onto the pavement.

I don't have a worst game of 2012 for the same reason I don't have a best game: Everything I have bought and played this year has been approximately the same level of mediocre and bland. Sure, I haven't bought everything, but of what I have played its all been meh.

If I had to pick something I would give the Most Disappointing Game of 2012 award to Mass Effect 3, but it still didn't stand out that much compared to the rest of the mediocrity that was this year.

The games released this year that I have played in order (as context is important:

Katawa Shoujo
Mass Effect 3
Transformers: Fall of Cybertron
Borderlands 2
Dishonored
The Walking Dead
XCom: Enemy Unknown
Assassins Creed 3
Halo 4

Out of all of those my least favourite is easily Mass Effect 3. It tried too hard to become a decent shooter while sacrificing decent writing and plot. Not just in the ending, but in many places in the game I felt that my choices did not matter, that my character was not really my character at all. The previously established characters are all suddenly changed and the interactions feel forced on many levels.

Waaghpowa:
Judging by some of the posts and game choices, it sounds more like people who are upset that something didn't live up to their expectations than being an actual "Worst game" of the year. Many of the games people have listed are far from being worst. Worst game would be something that simply doesn't work, either as broken mechanics or awful story.

Infact, let's change the title of the thread to "Games that disappointed me or I didn't like but I'll call the worst game of the year" thread.

So if I played three games that all work, don't have any broken mechanics and are all lacking any severe bugs, I cannot pick one to be the "worst"?

How on earth does that work?

I am sure that there are many games that are worse than the one I listed, but I haven't played any that are, so I cannot choose them. Not everybody buys every game that comes out you know.

If this was a "worst game ever made" thread then yes, picking a triple A game with a lot of effort put in would be somewhat missing the point, but this is asking for opinions on our worst games, not the worst games.

You know those games EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD LIKES? Yeah im gonna say those are the worst games of the year. IM DOING THE INTERNETS RIGHT

/facepalm

For me, i'll go with 'Medal of Honor: Warfighter'

Honestly, 2012 was such a disappointment for me. I'd only pre-ordered two games this year, and they were ones I watched trailers of and they seemed pretty awesome. Let's go through them.

Resident Evil 6 - It DID look good. Retaining the over-the-shoulder view of 4 and 5, multiple protagonists in the same style as 1 and 2, a plethora of extras and what seemed like an interesting story. I even said numerous times "this game seems like an apology for Resi 5." How could they go wrong? I was so hyped.

Then it came. And it went wrong. What it was was a generic cover-based shooting with a horrible, disjointed story. A needlessly over-complicated health system and a lack of ammo only helped enforce how bad it was. And a special mention to Trot Baker. I like Troy Baker, he's a good voice actor, but what the fuck was he thinking making Jake the not-so-much-of-a-cunt version of Snow from Final Fantasy XIII. He does the exact same voice.

Assassins Creed III- Another one that somehow went wrong and I don't know how. The prologue went on for too long (did we really have to gather everyone separately?) and the core mechanic was...there wasn't one. Naval warfare was fun, I guess, but I still don't know why it was there. There was one story mission on it and no others. It was simply there as a gimmick. As for hunting and the economy system, the UI for that was awful and the system itself was unnecessary. As far as I know you couldn't buy weapons and armour anymore. Why remove that feature and put in CoD-style regen-o-health?

Most other games I've played this year have been pretty "meh" to me really. I don't know if that's down to my lack of giving a shit anymore or if the games generally have been shit[1]. Granted not all of them were shit, I did have some fun in places, but not as much as I did last year, so that's pretty disappointing.

[1] Games I bought this year: Final Fantasy XIII-2, Mass Effect 3, Dragon's Dogma, Borderlands 2, Sleeping Dogs, Dishonored and the rest are HD collections (Metal Gear and DMC.)

aguspal:

Assassin Xaero:
Orcs Must Die 2. It wasn't exactly bad, the huge focus on coop really ruined the single player though, which is why I quit somewhere from 2/3 - 3/4 of the way through after being sick of having to look up the exactly way you had to place everything and get the planets to align to make it through a level by yourself. Besides that, I can't think of any bad games I've played that came out this year since I generally like most games and avoid the ones I know will suck (for example, anything made by BioWare).

Yeah the start of soloing OMD2 is a little bad.

But trust me, it gets better. So long as you are in for some challenge, and do both the combat and strategy parts WELL.

I remember I almost quit the game at the very beggining because of what you said. By now I can beat any level in nightmare without much trouble solo (Well except one little fucker named CRUNCH. Fuck that level).

By the end I ended up loving it more than OMD1. Althougt OMD1 is better in some aspects (No horrible and broken longbow, the MAIN WEAPON of the first game got nerfed badly and replaced it with a shitty shotgun thing. After so much practice with if from OMD 1 I feel disapointed).

Well anways yeah, if you can get past the first few levels the game gets better by then.

I made it to the second act, think to a level where it were two doors, stairs going up on outside paths and one gate at the bottom between the doors and the other at the top. That level and one or two before it, I had to go to youtube and figure out how to set things up to beat it, and even then it was a headache. I'll admit, I'm decent at the very best when it comes to strategy, tower defense, etc. type games (I mostly play shooters), so when they get that complicated to where I have to look up the solution, it just isn't fun anymore.

Ok, I'll try keep my inner reviewer/journalist out of this...
Too late. :/

Ok from the top!

Mass Effect 3.
"My biggest disappointment for the year...which made me sad for weeks. XD" (I found it funny)
- Lower quality DLC.
- Cheap punches to play multiplayer. (I think they fixed this one.)
- Gameplay didn't really improve, it felt the same. (The quote "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" may come in here...WHICH I DISAGREE WITH...for games at least.)
- They actually made an ending which made the internet bleed over it for months...hell it's probably a historic event which crippled EA and Bioware. (And the companies would not budge, which I understand why...and for some bloody reason it wouldn't give me the "Best" ending even though I did everything right!)
- Dumbing it down? (This is a personal opinion...but doesn't it feel like it was being dumbed down?) *Shrugs*

Assassins Creed 3.
"Oh geez...I liked this game. I really did!"
- Hyped to the "BAJESUS THIS LOOKS AWESUM!" title. Honestly...it was nothing like the trailers hyped it up to me. (Fail for me for giving in to the hype...Bad Shaun...BAD!)
- Story/ending...well...no comment?

That's it really. Those are the games I found that were MY biggest disappointments for this year. Some I played were average but I expected that. :D

The worst game I played was probably some cheap indy game I played for 30 minutes and then forgot about.

But the worst game I remember was "Warlock: Master of the Arcane". The graphics are nice, the units have cute one-liners, but the gameplay isn't anywhere to be found.

The game uses some mechanics from the 4x genre, cities can be founded, improvements and units can be built, other factions can be parlayed with and conquered, but none of it works. Terrain has no effect on the cities, city improvements are all linear upgrade paths and the diplomacy so annoying and broken that the player feels forced to just declare war on everyone.

As a pure strategy game it doesn't work either due to the bad game balance and bad AI. It seems like they just copied random elements from other games with no clear vision.

rekabdarb:

Murmillos:
Oh look, very popular high scoring games that people didn't like?.. I did not expect to see that....

you know what, since everyone seems to think naming big names is cool and it did officially come out this year. Minecraft.
blamo!

That actually came out last year. On the 18th of November, I believe.

OT: The ratchet and clank collection. It was very buggy, and it could have been something more than a texture upscale.

KissmahArceus:

Ninja Gaiden 3: Wow. How Team Ninja fucked this up so bad I cannot understand, the removal of Obliteration Techniques, the magic system, removing the upgrading of weapons and magic, taking away money, removing the health/magic/money orb system that tied into Ultimate Techniques and removing all weapons other than the Dragon Sword but selling us the Scythe and Claws as DLC....

Fuck this game

As a huge fan of the first two games in the series (and a long time fan of the franchise in general), I have to agree with this. Sure it worked mechanically so it probably doesn't actually qualify as a true "worst game" contender, it was just.. bad. Anyone who played the previous NG games would be shocked by just how many negative changes NG3 brought to the table. The frequent cries are that it was easier than the previous games and that's why it was bad.. but I didn't find that to be the case at all. I do think it was probably easier, though there seemed to be more plainly cheap garbage that some of the enemies could do (as opposed to the generally very balanaced difficulty in the other games) but, as KissmahArceus points out, there were so many other changes that totally killed the experience.

Stay far far away from this one, even if you find it in the bargain bin. Just buy NG2 instead.

Badge of Glory: Facewar.
That game sure turned out to be great, just like the previous one.

Blops II, because if I have to explain this to you, you are already dead inside.

Mark of the Ninja, because it is the best thing mankind has created during its existence and yet didn't get the kind of attention I wanted it to. My heart is now broken.

Mass Effect 3, because the whole shebang surrounding that game made me decide not to play it, and I used to be a fan of the series before.

fix-the-spade:

As a second mention,Mass Effect 3. Not the ending, but the fact that in three games Mass Effect has gone from a massive RPG with unique shooting mechanics and a bloody great tank for exploring, to a by-the-numbers corridor shooter where vehicles are banned, abilities are worthless and hour long expansions are sold at inflated prices to... somebody who must really love deus ex machina?

I see a pattern emerging...

Don't necessarily bring back the Mako (I quite liked it, but the majority hated it with a passion and the Hammerhead is better anyway) but I would like them to bring back the planetary exploration. Even if the planets end up being mostly large expanses of wilderness, driving up to a colony after exploring a planet would have been better than just landing at it.

I haven't played any games this year than I can direct enough loathing at to call them my worst game of 2012. So, if anyone can "recommend" me a truly abysmal game to play, maybe I will go and check that out and then get back to you.

Yeah, i messed up. ignore this.

dudagato:

Edit: Know what I'd like on 3DS? An old school Final Fantasy, not a remake, a brand new game with a brand new story, but done in the style of 3 through 6. ATB system + gorgeous sprites + gripping 40 hour plus non-angst-ridden tale = A day one buy.

Ever heard of Bravely Default?

Im realy looking forward to it, if it ever gets localised.

Same here. It's made by Silicon Studio, the people who made 3D Dot Game Heroes, my favourite game of 2010.

As for MY worst game, allow me to introduce what I figured would be the obvious choice...

... Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2.

Oh good God, I don't understand how this managed to slip past. Let's get the small bits outta the way: it has a ridiculously stupid story that it takes seriously, the new characters make me want to tear my hair out and, in order to get each of the eight endings, you have to grind for an unfathomable amount of time. The combat system isn't unforgivable but it's needlessly obtuse and only ever amounts to surrounding your enemy and wailing on them until they die.

The worst part? Take a look at the cover. Notice the two 12 year-olds who are half-naked. That's where the fanservice goes here.

I'm gonna go with Counter Strike: GO. I find it funny that Valve is postponing HL3 and expecting dog shit like this to hold me over in the meantime.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Halo 4
Assassin's Creed III
Guild Wars 2
Resident Evil 6
Dishonored
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Borderlands 2
Mass Effect 3

LOOK AT ME! I'M EXPRESSING DISDAIN FOR POPULAR THINGS BECAUSE THEY'RE POPULAR! PLEASE COMPLIMENT ME, I'M SUCH AN EDGY NONCONFORMIST!!! LOOK AT ME!!!

Raika:
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Halo 4
Assassin's Creed III
Guild Wars 2
Resident Evil 6
Dishonored
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Borderlands 2
Mass Effect 3

LOOK AT ME! I'M EXPRESSING DISDAIN FOR POPULAR THINGS BECAUSE THEY'RE POPULAR! PLEASE COMPLIMENT ME, I'M SUCH AN EDGY NONCONFORMIST!!! LOOK AT ME!!!

It's seems to me like your projecting, not everyone picks there tastes based on peer pressure like you, sometimes they just don't like things because they're shit (E.g all the games you listed)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked