Far Cry 3 is good but...

I have been playing Far Cry 3 on the PC for the past few days and while I think the game is lots of fun there are some problems that I have with it. This guy from gamespot's user reviews actually summed it up pretty well:

"Massive lack of rewards. Do a side mission for what? money and nothing else. Finding relics,lost letters,loot chests, all mean almost nothing and don't reward you other than maybe an achievement, and the loot chests only give u money/ammo or junk to sell(literally junk, with no other use)

Everything to do on the side other than crafting a better carrying case is pointless.

Even money feels useless in the game since weapons, very very quickly, become free to grab at any safe house. Only thing thing actually good to buy with money is ammo, and that's hardly a reward for anything. The game has no drive to do anything on the side for how big the map areas are."

http://www.gamespot.com/far-cry-3/user-reviews/804542/platform/pc/

I have to say that I agree.

At first glance it appears like there is a lot to do in Far Cry 3. You have a huge open island. Lots of side missions, and can earn money. So there is lots to do, right?

No...

Like the above guy mentions, there is actually no real point. You don't really need the money because you will just get the guns for free anyways the moment you fix some radio towers so using money to buy guns is stupid and a waste of time. And since there is nothing to do with money besides buying guns and ammo there is zero practical reason to do any of the side missions. Defeating outposts to take over the island is fun at first, but after a while it starts to feel like a real grind since taking over each outpost feels almost exactly the same as taking over the last one. And having to constantly re-activate the radio towers all over the island to unlock the map just becomes extremely annoying after the initial novelty wears off.

The only variety in the entire game appears to come from the actual story missions.

Don't get me wrong, Far Cry 3 is a good game and I am enjoying it a good deal. But I can't help but feel that it is really overrated, with so many sites giving it fantastic scores. The game may appear to be full of options and re-playability at first glance, but it really doesn't. It have only beaten roughly half of the game and taken over about half of the map, and yet I already feel a bit bored.

Thoughts? Agree or disagree?

Everything I've read and watched regarding Far Cry 3 makes it sound agonizingly close to a perfect game. One that fell down and broke it's dick 3 feet from the finish line. Too easy, RPG elements that don't really go anywhere, and repetition being the major bugbears. The first two could be modded, which makes the fact the game isn't mod friendly even more frustrating.

Well, I do agree that money becomes a little useless after a while (although the signature weapons are never free and cost a lot, so there's that). However a feature I did like was that doing things like collecting relics, taking over outposts, completing trials, finding the letters, etc, do unlock recipes and signature weapons. The handbook actually tells you after how many collectibles you unlock things, so I thought that was a nice touch. The thing is... any reward in a game is going to be artificial. Talking about incentives is all well and good, but you're not playing a game to build up a fucking 401k, you're playing it to have fun, and fighting, stealthing, and exploring are all fun in Far Cry 3, so I really don't see the problem.

The only problem I have is that it crashes pretty often. Should have gotten it for 360. Good game though.

kiri2tsubasa:
The only problem I have is that it crashes pretty often. Should have gotten it for 360. Good game though.

I've heard the console versions have some pretty terrible issues such as rampant screen tearing and huge fps drops.

Oh, and there is a reward for finding relics, letters, and such...you unlock specialty weapons.

I can agree that unlocking weapons for free by disrupting radio towers was a bad move. Money quickly becomes pointless after that. I'd have liked to really work for my gear.

But as The Commanders said, it's not really about the reward is it? It's about having fun doing it. Which some of the sidemissions arguably weren't.
This is the same problem people seemed to have with Far Cry 2, they complained about the long drives to the objective, when the journey is pretty much the meat of the game. The random encounters. They didn't feel that was reward enough.
It bugs me the same way achievements do.

It's hardly a perfect game. I got many nitpicks that overall pulled it from being what I hoped it to be. Such as the intrusive HUD, the terrible menus, and some bad port decisions.

Hardcore_gamer:

I don't see how anyone could disagree.

What amazes me is this isn't a concern of people logging 100 hours on Skyrim. And many, many other games.

BloatedGuppy:
Everything I've read and watched regarding Far Cry 3 makes it sound agonizingly close to a perfect game. One that fell down and broke it's dick 3 feet from the finish line. Too easy, RPG elements that don't really go anywhere, and repetition being the major bugbears. The first two could be modded, which makes the fact the game isn't mod friendly even more frustrating.

Its not mod friendly? Shit... though question, were there any good mods for Far Cry 2?

I just finished the game today. The games good and I frickin love it and i have to agree with you for some things like not needing the money for anything else but I've gone out and have done everything. Found the letters, memory cards, 61 relics, and liberated all outposts, activated all radio towers, and did all the trials and I still find myself going back though there isn't too much left after all that and I find myself just buying pointless skins with all my extra cash that I become burdened with. Around where you are the halfway point, you start getting access to better signature guns which actually cost money so thats one thing but after there isn't a whole lot. But goddamn I've done everything in it and I keep coming back so thats a sign that a games doing something right. And if you get bored doing all the side missions, just do what you want. thats a good thing about it being pretty open world.

Love it so far. The few issues i have with it are nothing new, thing's i've actually gotten use to with 170+ hours in Skyrim and other games.

Of course i'm going to become OP after revealing a few towers and clearing some outposts. The game needs to be finishable (that's a word now) without doing that, so it makes sense i'll become OP if i do it.

EDIT - sorry, captcha

I'm disappointed with the coop. I mean it's okay. Sort of wannabe left 4 dead.

But had we got the chance to split screen with Jason Brody and maybe another Rakyat warrior and do the whole campaign, that would be amazing. Someone covering the other with a sniper rifle as he stabs his way through a compound. Someone manning the mounted gun on a boat or jeep while the other drives.

Yeah they really had something there. It's still my GOTY but...it has flaws.

Money is so useless. I use money for ammo, and signature weapons, and maps. You can actually blow through them all really quickly.

Only problem I had with the game was its repetitiveness. Had a lot of fun but towards the end I just wanted it to be over.

Didn't have the same problem with money though. I ignored the radio towers for the most part because I found I was spending more time looking at the mini map than I was at the scenery when the map was revealed.

Yeah, I ended up doing the sidemissions just because they were there and it did become an excercise in busywork once I'd maxed the skills.

I think the reason they were there was to balance out the disproportionate xp rewards for stealth gameplay. As in, if you chose to just bowl into an outpost and mow everyone down in a storm of lead then you'd only get 10 or 20xp per kill & 500xp for the camp whereas if you stealthed it you'd get 1500xp and 30 to 60xp per kill.

Also I think it would have been good if outposts had a respawning ammo pile so that whenever you went in you could reload your weapons for free. Paying for the ammo didn't make any difference; it just presented neurotic cheapskates like me with an issue which further pushed me towards stealth gameplay.

There's a good amount of attachments and camos to spend your money on in the game. Then again, I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff. I've never really found that I had too much money at any point in the game.

Honestly, it's really a non-issue, because you and this reviewer seem to be trying to assume the minor RPG elements they put in the game should have given it more depth. There's not really that advanced of a loot system, because most of the tasks are really just there for fun. The game really shines because of it's gameplay design.

Far Cry 3 is good but where the fuck did all the wild boars go!?! I need your skin for ammo pouches you useless swine! And where the hell are the Japanese letters!?! I'm tripping over relics here but I want to read some WW2 documents damnit!

I only just started the game today and while I am very much taken with it, I must say that already money feels quite pointless: I seem to be getting huge piles of it that just won't go away no matter how many of the most expensive guns and attachments I buy and it all feels rather surplus to requirements.

Captcha: "Mouth watering". Why yes Escapist, my EXTREME hunting technique of flying a hang-glider 50ft over a bull shark and then dropping right onto its back like a human bomb is mouth wateringly awesome.

It needs some more side-missions to show off what it can do. The base liberation is tons and tons of fun, but I wouldn't mind seeing infiltration missions where you have to work your way into an interior base.

And if you wander off exploring, it's rather jarring to stumble across the location of future encounters. I stumbled across an airport while exploring the southern island and at first I was being careful as not to set off alarms... then realized it was a mission location and just ran across without a care. Same deal with the lack of wildlife in caves, unless you're on a mission.

But mostly it's just needs to figure out what kind of side missions and activities really fit in and ditch the ones that are just there because it's a sandbox game and every sandbox game legally obligated to have a Texas Hold-em Mini-Game.

WanderingFool:

BloatedGuppy:

Its not mod friendly? Shit... though question, were there any good mods for Far Cry 2?

Well... there was one mod that fixed the whole thing into a playable game but other then that not really.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/dylans-far-cry-2-realism-mod

josemlopes:

WanderingFool:

BloatedGuppy:

Well... there was one mod that fixed the whole thing into a playable game but other then that not really.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/dylans-far-cry-2-realism-mod

Far Cry 2 was just a terrible game in my opinion. It was super boring and having to deal with that decease you got all the time was painful.

I haven't played it yet, so there's not much I can say. I think it looks like a good game, and I've been anticipating it for awhile. Still getting it.

Well you do eventually run out of incentive to do the side stuff, but as has been said before, you unlock signature weapons thru collecting relics, letters, and maybe doing other stuff, which inspired me to romp around the island looking for that stuff for a number of hours.

Hunting becomes sort of pointless after you've crafted everything. I wish the game would recognize when animal skins are no longer useful for crafting so you could at least quick sell them.

Then there's the fact that you gain XP for practically everything you do. I'm still exploring and taking over outposts for that reason, to gain access to all the skills, and for the fact that I'm still having fun.

I think the biggest problem with the game is the downright stupid AI. It doesn't ruin the game, I'm still having a hoot with it, but I wish there was some difficulty setting that made AI characters able to see more than 30 feet in front of them.

I've got no real complaints tho. I've already sunk a massive amount of time into the game and had a great time doing so.

On an unrelated note, I hope someone comes up with a Jurassic Park sorta mod for it. That could be awesome.

I've been killed more times by the WILDLIFE then the supposed, 'real', enemy humans.

This is the first in a LONG time, not sure if Skyrim counts, so I do like that aspect.

However, I can't wait till the modding community gets going.
I hope to see a 'play as animal x'.

Yeah, when it said Skyrim with guns I instantly knew it wasn't. Because Skyrim had caves to explore, and while repetitive in visuals and layout, had a small story to go with almost every one, and some of them were really good. Still, I'm going to get it and have fun sniping the animals. It's a better hunting game than Cabelas.

The game is leaps and bonds better than Farcry 2 is, it has a better FPS stealth mechanic (my opinion) than Dishonored(a game primarily built for stealth) or Deus Ex:HR did, best open ended shooter ever played (1st Crysis lost that title), and the main story is engrossing and awesome.

So, all in all, pretty damn good game.

The only problem I've had with the game was the whole "Skyrim with guns" bit everyone is selling. And it wasn't that at all. This game has a more action focus invested in gameplay while Skyrim was all about the side questing and side story telling which this game is not.

Hardcore_gamer:
I have been playing Far Cry 3 on the PC for the past few days and while I think the game is lots of fun there are some problems that I have with it. This guy from gamespot's user reviews actually summed it up pretty well:

"Massive lack of rewards. Do a side mission for what? money and nothing else. Finding relics,lost letters,loot chests, all mean almost nothing and don't reward you other than maybe an achievement, and the loot chests only give u money/ammo or junk to sell(literally junk, with no other use)

Everything to do on the side other than crafting a better carrying case is pointless.

Even money feels useless in the game since weapons, very very quickly, become free to grab at any safe house. Only thing thing actually good to buy with money is ammo, and that's hardly a reward for anything. The game has no drive to do anything on the side for how big the map areas are."

http://www.gamespot.com/far-cry-3/user-reviews/804542/platform/pc/

I have to say that I agree.

At first glance it appears like there is a lot to do in Far Cry 3. You have a huge open island. Lots of side missions, and can earn money. So there is lots to do, right?

No...

Like the above guy mentions, there is actually no real point. You don't really need the money because you will just get the guns for free anyways the moment you fix some radio towers so using money to buy guns is stupid and a waste of time. And since there is nothing to do with money besides buying guns and ammo there is zero practical reason to do any of the side missions. Defeating outposts to take over the island is fun at first, but after a while it starts to feel like a real grind since taking over each outpost feels almost exactly the same as taking over the last one. And having to constantly re-activate the radio towers all over the island to unlock the map just becomes extremely annoying after the initial novelty wears off.

The only variety in the entire game appears to come from the actual story missions.

Don't get me wrong, Far Cry 3 is a good game and I am enjoying it a good deal. But I can't help but feel that it is really overrated, with so many sites giving it fantastic scores. The game may appear to be full of options and re-playability at first glance, but it really doesn't. It have only beaten roughly half of the game and taken over about half of the map, and yet I already feel a bit bored.

You shouldn't need a reward to do side quests. The point of a good game is that the things on the side are intriguing, not that they give you some reward, hence the term "side quests." They're things to be done on the side in your spare time. I'm sorry, but unless the side quests are a chore (which I don't know, I haven't played the game), the idea that the side quests don't give you enough of a reward is kind of retarded. The point of side quests is that they're a reward in themselves. From what I've read, the various letters/other historical shit you get paint a fascinating picture of the island if you take the time to read them. Quests like Dia's bounty in KotOR actually lost you money if you played them a certain way. You could completely ignore the arena without any consequence to your final score. You could ignore the bits of the diary and still come up with the Rakghoul serum. That game featured literally no achievements, but the chances were you played it anyway. Are you really so desperate for validation that you need achievements to complete side quests?

I don't know about you, but I was never really "making it rain" while I was playing the game. I actually had a little bit of trouble with money up until the end where I didn't have much use for it. I always bought gun attachments, paint jobs, and armor. Maybe because I didn't loot the bodies much, or did too many sidequests, but still. Only reason i went for lost letters and relics and whatnot was because of Signature weapons because those are badass. Plus, even if I had money, who cares? I was barely paying attention to it. Those trials of rakyat or whatever are insanely fun, the story missions are cool, and base and radio tower liberating, along with hunting, are really cool too. It's one of the few times where a game has a lot to do and still manages to make all those things flow without breaking pace. You're just having fun with what you're doing, not doing it because of the reward, and that's what makes the game so good.

Geth Reich:
Far Cry 3 is good but where the fuck did all the wild boars go!?! I need your skin for ammo pouches you useless swine! And where the hell are the Japanese letters!?! I'm tripping over relics here but I want to read some WW2 documents damnit!

I only just started the game today and while I am very much taken with it, I must say that already money feels quite pointless: I seem to be getting huge piles of it that just won't go away no matter how many of the most expensive guns and attachments I buy and it all feels rather surplus to requirements.

Captcha: "Mouth watering". Why yes Escapist, my EXTREME hunting technique of flying a hang-glider 50ft over a bull shark and then dropping right onto its back like a human bomb is mouth wateringly awesome.

You have money, and you want letters, so why not just go to a store and buy Item Maps. They're $500 a piece, less then all those treasure maps which are $1500 and are pretty much useless since you stumble across treasure boxes every 10 feet.

Geth Reich:

You have money, and you want letters, so why not just go to a store and buy Item Maps. They're $500 a piece, less then all those treasure maps which are $1500 and are pretty much useless since you stumble across treasure boxes every 10 feet.[/quote]

You know, that's a damn good idea and I will definitely get right on it as soon as I finish running over sharks with a jetski!

Ive never found money to be useless

90% of the guns arent carried by enemies, only the AK, PKM, Dragnuv, The merc assault rifle (forgot the name), and the Russian shotty (forgot agian lol).

Most of those are from the first act, There's definatly some very expensive guns in the second Act, Theres not too many ammo dumps out in the jungle and the signature weapons cost a small fortune to acquire.

(That being said, im not rushing to get every radio tower, and most of the time ive just o\bought the gun before it becomes free, so that may be where Im getting my perspective from)

Yeah I found the sidequests to be really pointless after I finished the main story, so I just uninstalled. I wish it really lived up to the whole "Like Skyrim with guns" thing, because I was looking forward to quite a few good storylines.

I kind of felt the same, until I started using my grenade launcher, LMG, special arrows, and grenades/moltovs more often. Now I often spent a decent amount of money on ammo, since I don't get much of that in drops. When I have spare cash I try out new attachments and get paint jobs. Also, I feel motivated to get the collectibles because they unlock signature weapons, which are pretty damn powerful as well as a money sink. So while I can feel the creeping repetition where I am at in the game (am about to go cave diving for Buck), I am still enjoying myself.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked