Assassin's Creed III - "Press E to skip cutscene"

I wasn't sure whether to ask this here or in the advice forum, but I figured it's a gaming-specific question so would be more at home here.

I recently acquired enough funds to get Assassin's Creed III on PC. I've been looking forward to this game all year and was pretty hyped for it. I've now played it for about an hour or so and it's ... ehhh, no, this is not the review section.

One of the problems I've found with the cutscenes (aside from rave hair and scary faces) is that throughout the entire cutscene there's a bright blue prompt in the bottom right corner which says, "Press E to skip cutscene" or sometimes just "E = Skip" (switches between the two). When I first saw it I thought, "Well, that's nice and easy, glad to know that, thank you Assassin's Creed III."

I assumed they would just show it in the first cutscene, as part of the tutorial. Nope. It stays there throughout all of the cutscenes and presumably throughout the entire game, almost as if it's trying to say, "Hey, you know you don't have to watch this, right?"

It seems ... somewhat ridiculous. It's like having "Press W A S D to move!" plastered over the screen for the entire game. I think I'm capable of remembering that I have to press E to skip a cutscene without having the instruction constantly in my face, damaging the immersion. Has anyone found a way to get rid of this?

EDIT: I will just say that the fact that the game forces you to play as the protagonist's father, meet the protagonist's mother, court the protagonist's mother and then knock up the protagonist's mother before you're actually allowed to play as the protagonist, and that you can't even play as the protagonist's father until you've played as his descendant and walked very slowly through a cave and then passed out and then played a tutorial level...

That's real dedication to the idea of a prologue. Boy am I ready ... or I will be, once I actually get to America.

I ended up skipping all the cutscenes about halfway through the game anyway.
Boring protagonist does boring things to help boring people in a boring game.

Keep in mind that I don't think I've ever skipped all of a games cutscenes unless I'm replaying it since I was like... 7.

TopazFusion:

boots:
"Press W A S D to move!"

Funnily enough, Bioshock comes up with that message every so often. Usually when I'm standing still listening to audio diaries.

That's not Bioshock, that's a very lost Skyrim guard going, "No lollygaggin'."

boots:

TopazFusion:

boots:
"Press W A S D to move!"

Funnily enough, Bioshock comes up with that message every so often. Usually when I'm standing still listening to audio diaries.

That's not Bioshock, that's a very lost Skyrim guard going, "No lollygaggin'."

What if I told you

THE GUARD IS THE GUY WHO STOLE YOUR SWEETROLL!

*ahem* anyway, Yes, that prompt got a little bit annoying, one of the things that prompted me to take a long break whilst playing AC3. I was like "yeah game, maybe I'll completely skip you for a long time".

ARGH I just went to speak to Benjamin Franklin and he started going on about how much he loves granny vaginas. SKIP SKIP SKIP SKIP SKIP.

boots:
ARGH I just went to speak to Benjamin Franklin and he started going on about how much he loves granny vaginas. SKIP SKIP SKIP SKIP SKIP.

WHAAAAT that's the best part! Ben Franklin...such a perv, and yet one of our greatest founding fathers :)

Be happy that you can skip the cutscenes.

The end credits... oh dear Lord. @~@

Wow, just what I needed. In fact, it would seem to me, that these give me just what I need, at that moment in time! Oh, I see what he means, context sensitive. Clever! And I feel loads better! Right, let's get outta here! Oh, and by the way, if for whatever reason you wanna skip all these wonderful cutscenes, then just press the "L" button. But you will have to have watched them at least once.

considering how many of those cutscenes i skipped i would rather a "press E not to skip cutscene" option
seriously america i don't think you guys quite understand how little the rest of the world cares about your history

lechat:
considering how many of those cutscenes i skipped i would rather a "press E not to skip cutscene" option
seriously america i don't think you guys quite understand how little the rest of the world cares about your history

You do know that Ubisoft is primarily French and Canadian right? Americans didn't make this game... Although as an American I can tell you I don't really give a rat's ass about our overblown history either. There's a reason the rest of the world consider America a dickish country.

mParadox:
Be happy that you can skip the cutscenes.

The end credits... oh dear Lord. @~@

OMG YES

The worst part is that I accidentally turned off my Xbox when the credits were almost done (DARN YOU TOUCH-SENSITIVE BUTTONS), so I had to go through the entire ending sequence again.

On topic, it didn't bother me that much. It would have been a lot better if the prompt only popped up once, though.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked