Biggest plot holes in games

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

there are a lot of huge plot holes in games some of which im sure a lot of people haven't picked up on yet. Id love to hear what people think are the biggest plot holes in games and by gosh there's a lot of them.

Dragon Age 2.

All the way through it you get drummed with "Mages are good .... Templars are bad".

Yet all the way through it the Templars are helpful and polite and the Mages are trying to eat my face.....

Kind of hard to follow a plot and take it seriously when it doesn't know what the fuck it's doing itself. In fact, the Templars don't turn "bad" until the very end and even then it's only 1 person .... who turns bad because of a corrupt sword .... made from metal Hawke found.

WHO WRITES THIS SHIT.

Rawne1980:
Dragon Age 2.

All the way through it you get drummed with "Mages are good .... Templars are bad".

Yet all the way through it the Templars are helpful and polite and the Mages are trying to eat my face.....

Kind of hard to follow a plot and take it seriously when it doesn't know what the fuck it's doing itself. In fact, the Templars don't turn "bad" until the very end and even then it's only 1 person .... who turns bad because of a corrupt sword .... made from metal Hawke found.

WHO WRITES THIS SHIT.

Seconded. Also the fact that they were more blood mages, raiders, Templar Grunts, thieves and bandits in Kirkwall than actual citizens made hardly any sense.

endtherapture:

snippety snip

Seconded. Also the fact that they were more blood mages, raiders, Templar Grunts, thieves and bandits in Kirkwall than actual citizens made hardly any sense.

Skyrim has the same problem. There are only about 200 NPCs in the towns, and you'll kill more bandits than that in a few hours dungeon-crawling.

wakeup:
there are a lot of huge plot holes in games some of which im sure a lot of people haven't picked up on yet. Id love to hear what people think are the biggest plot holes in games and by gosh there's a lot of them.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlotHole (under the "Video Games" section)

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VoodooShark

Indeed, there are a lot of plot holes in just about every medium.

Not so much a plot hole, but in FarCry3

what the hell happened to all the guards?

It just irked me a little. Not enough to be an "oh my god this game sucks because it missed a few details" moment (not like I have those, anyway), but still, what the hell?

The Super Mutants were the wrong color.
/Being a dick. (EDIT: I should elaberate: I'm being a dick by making fun of the Fallout purists.)

Well, Black Ops 2 is basically one big one.

Rawne1980:
Dragon Age 2.

WHO WRITES THIS SHIT.

That is inaccurate. The game attempts to say "Some mages are good, some are bad and the same goes with templars". Not every mage in the game tries to kill you or someone else or just genreally be a jerk. For example Feynriel is an unfortunate apostate who will only do something bad if you indulged in some really horrible Video Game Cruelty Potential. For the templars there are a quite a few templars who are unabigiously evil. Take Ser Alrik, the templar who wanted to make all mages tranquil, which is considered by many of them a fate worse than death.

Protocol95:

Rawne1980:
Dragon Age 2.

WHO WRITES THIS SHIT.

That is inaccurate. The game attempts to say "Some mages are good, some are bad and the same goes with templars". Not every mage in the game tries to kill you or someone else or just genreally be a jerk. For example Feynriel is an unfortunate apostate who will only do something bad if you indulged in some really horrible Video Game Cruelty Potential. For the templars there are a quite a few templars who are unabigiously evil. Take Ser Alrik, the templar who wanted to make all mages tranquil, which is considered by many of them a fate worse than death.

I agree to a certain extent, but I still believe that in light of DA:O, the templars vs mages plot felt very contrived. Think about it. In the tower mage origin story of DA:O, a mage uses blood magic and everyone freaks out! It was a big deal that didn't happen often! Even the fiance of the mage that uses blood magic abandons her trust of him and willingly submits to punishment for even associating with him. When you come back to the tower after it has fallen in DA:O, you run into mages that say they want nothing to do with blood magic or the rebellion that is taking place. DA:O did a good job of making you feel sympathetic to both the templars and mages while successfully making the delineation that negative actions were performed by a few bad apples on both sides.

Hop on over to Dragon Age II, and in the game's final act, every templar is order to kill every mage, which prompts every mage to turn into a blood mage. It felt so damn contrived and didn't match the tone of the original game at all. Not only that, blood magic was used at a far greater frequency in Dragon Age II. And for what reason? Didn't people fear it just as much? The writing in DA II was an absolute mess.

alphamalet:

Protocol95:

Rawne1980:
Snip

Snip

Snip

In order to prevent to derailing this thread I will make this post as short as I can and not limit how many times I respond. For the increaing tension I feel that this is more of an argument of perspetives and opinions and as such do not want to discuss it any further. I also wish to point out that not every mage becomes a blood mage and that not every templar want to kill every mage, of note during the templar endgame three mages believing Orsino has gone to far surrender to the templars, and as such the templar Cullen wants to merely arrest them. I apologise if my post here has not been very concrete and I would have liked to have a civilised discussion but this is an innappropriate place to do so.

In order counter this slight derailment I will post a plot hole which I believe to be of particualr notice. In Black ops 2

Protocol95:

alphamalet:

Protocol95:

Snip

Snip

In order to prevent to derailing this thread I will make this post as short as I can and not limit how many times I respond. For the increaing tension I feel that this is more of an argument of perspetives and opinions and as such do not want to discuss it any further. I also wish to point out that not every mage becomes a blood mage and that not every templar want to kill every mage, of note during the templar endgame three mages believing Orsino has gone to far surrender to the templars, and as such the templar Cullen wants to merely arrest them. I apologise if my post here has not been very concrete and I would have liked to have a civilised discussion but this is an innappropriate place to do so.

In order counter this slight derailment I will post a plot hole which I believe to be of particualr notice. In Black ops 2

I'd definitely like to keep it civil, so no worries there. I'll make a couple clarifications about what I said, like you did, and then drop it.

The reason I said every templar starts killing every mage is because Meredith invoked a certain power once she declared herself head of the chantry after it was destroyed. It called for the murder of every mage in Kirkwall. Every single templar that was obedient did start slaughtering every mage. Once the mages saw this, most of them resort to blood magic, including the Head Mage. The game has you running through Kirkwall killing all of the abominations immediately after the Orsino versus Meredith confrontation. "Every mage and every templar" might have been a bit facetious, but it definitely seemed like it happened to most of them.

Like you said though, we can have the discussion in another thread.

I'll also try to counter the derailment with another plot hole.

In Persona 3

Rawne1980:
Dragon Age 2.

WHO WRITES THIS SHIT.

I disagree. I felt the game did a good job of showing that Mages are people who want basic freedoms that everyone else is allowed to have and showed them as people, while at the same time is showed that the Templars are needed because the Mages simply can't be normal people. Knight-Captain Cullen said it best: "There was a time when a Templar at the door was a welcomed sight among the people. Now though, people are just as likely to slam that door in our face than help us. The image of the chained apprentice is one the mages are all too willing to use." Still, I think it could have been done a LOT better in the game and I agree that, at times, it felt like the game was telling you one thing but showing you another. I think a lot of the things that happened in that game could have been avoided if people just sat down and listened to each other.

Anyway, my biggest plot hole at the moment is the best ending in Black Ops II. The game even calls attention to it: "Where the hell have you been for the past thirty years?" A very good question...that the writers totally forgot to answer.

The original ending to Mass Effect 3 still bugs me, but I feel that has been talked about to death. Extended cut bugs me too, though slightly less. Only slightly.

Ezio's failure to act at the end of Assassin's Creed II. He just got through killing dozens of innocent guards minutes before, and NOW he decides he's done killing? Everyone who died in Brotherhood is dead because of that.
Speaking of which, in Assassin's Creed III, why doesn't Desmond pull out the Apple in the beginning? It's not like he didn't have it all the time.

Why is the Didact in Halo 4 doing what he's doing? The Flood has been destroyed. He has no reason to declare war on humanity.

Those are all that I can think of at the moment, though I know there are more that have bothered me over the years. I'm not even sure some of those are plot holes, or just bad writing.

Borderlands 2. Why don't they just turn off the new you station? You die once, you're gone for good. Better yet, why wouldn't Jack put his DNA into it so he couldn't die (after all, he has a massive amount of money)?

This never really bothered me because I don't think you're supposed to take the story that seriously (even though I actually thought the story was very good) but it's still a pretty big plot hole. I guess you could just say it's simply a gameplay mechanic and isn't part of the actual story at all.

one that really annoyed me that no one seemed to pick up on when it was released was gears of war 3. you spend the first half or more of the game looking for fuel for a submarine but when you get to the submarine dusty is like "don't worry there's some fuel over there". i mean what the hell the first half of the game is just meaningless. i guess it didn't matter to much as the campaign was god awful in the 3rd game.

Now this is a bit out but the fact that no one ever seemed to call attention to it pissed me off. In Modern Warfare 2, why is it that the Russian terrorists, perpetrating an act of terror in Russia (a region that really has supplied enough illegal weapons to maintain several wars since the fall of communism and immediately after a civil war which would have left even more arms floating around) buy their guns from a guy in Brazil? Seriously, why the fuck would you need to buy your guns from Brazil? I know it's just a deus ex machina so we'd have a level in the favellas, but it grated me nonetheless.

As I said, what really pissed me off was the fact no one else seemed to give it the same thought. Everyone else was too busy griping about nukes in space, or were unable to comprehend why that general bloke betrays you.

BioShock: Just why did Fontaine pull of his elaborate scheme with the protagonist instead of bunkering him somewhere close? It just adds a crapton of unnecessary complications not only in theory, but also practically as it turns out his creation really does backfire on him.
I'd usually just handwave it, but add to that Fontaine's already laughable Saturday Morning Mustache-Twirling Doctor Evilstein Villain Out For World Domination spiel and the fact the whole farce was really just written to allow for the character freedom plot twist, I can't help but be disgusted at the terrible writing beneath and think of the plot hole as an irredeemably deep one.

Sniper Team 4:

Rawne1980:
Dragon Age 2.

WHO WRITES THIS SHIT.

I disagree. I felt the game did a good job of showing that Mages are people who want basic freedoms that everyone else is allowed to have and showed them as people, while at the same time is showed that the Templars are needed because the Mages simply can't be normal people. Knight-Captain Cullen said it best: "There was a time when a Templar at the door was a welcomed sight among the people. Now though, people are just as likely to slam that door in our face than help us. The image of the chained apprentice is one the mages are all too willing to use." Still, I think it could have been done a LOT better in the game and I agree that, at times, it felt like the game was telling you one thing but showing you another. I think a lot of the things that happened in that game could have been avoided if people just sat down and listened to each other.

Anyway, my biggest plot hole at the moment is the best ending in Black Ops II. The game even calls attention to it: "Where the hell have you been for the past thirty years?" A very good question...that the writers totally forgot to answer.

The original ending to Mass Effect 3 still bugs me, but I feel that has been talked about to death. Extended cut bugs me too, though slightly less. Only slightly.

Ezio's failure to act at the end of Assassin's Creed II. He just got through killing dozens of innocent guards minutes before, and NOW he decides he's done killing? Everyone who died in Brotherhood is dead because of that.
Speaking of which, in Assassin's Creed III, why doesn't Desmond pull out the Apple in the beginning? It's not like he didn't have it all the time.

Why is the Didact in Halo 4 doing what he's doing? The Flood has been destroyed. He has no reason to declare war on humanity.

Those are all that I can think of at the moment, though I know there are more that have bothered me over the years. I'm not even sure some of those are plot holes, or just bad writing.

With the Ezio thing its understandable though, Ezio's lived most of his life up until this point seeking revenge on the man who killed his family, and when he finally gets there, he realizes what a broken man Rodrigo is, and leaves him to his fate, suffering forever knowing that Ezio was the prophet, and not him. That his lifelong dream of controlling a power greater than god is moot.

Brotherhood would have happened regardless of whether Rodrigo was killed or not as Cesare largely acted on his own, essentially ignoring all advice from his father.

Its not explained very well, but there is a reason

A certain games ending... yea you know the one...

Fallout 3 original ending is the worst one that I have ever encountered.

Sniper Team 4:

Yes he does, because humanity were at war with the Forerunners for a millennia before the Forerunners had even heard of the flood. They were at war because the Forerunners hold the 'Mantle', but humanity are the ones who are naturally supposed to be in charge of it. He is unwilling to relinquish control over to the humans and plans to destroy them rather than let them have it.

His hatred of them has nothing to do with the flood whatsoever.

Marik Bentusi:
BioShock: Just why did Fontaine pull of his elaborate scheme with the protagonist instead of bunkering him somewhere close? It just adds a crapton of unnecessary complications not only in theory, but also practically as it turns out his creation really does backfire on him.
I'd usually just handwave it, but add to that Fontaine's already laughable Saturday Morning Mustache-Twirling Doctor Evilstein Villain Out For World Domination spiel and the fact the whole farce was really just written to allow for the character freedom plot twist, I can't help but be disgusted at the terrible writing beneath and think of the plot hole as an irredeemably deep one.

Because Jack was a back-up plan, not his main one. He used him in case everything went wrong, which it just so happened to do. He couldn't keep him alive and in Rapture because Ryan could have easily discovered him, which would ruin the point of him being an ace up his sleeve.

Fontaine also did not want world domination, he wanted to control the city. He wasn't supposed to be evil, he was supposed to be greedy and ruthless.

Guys? Guys, look up what a plot hole is, then post.

It's not "characters made a decision that seems dumb or weird" and it's not "something that could have been explained but was left vague". Things that are not plot holes include:

In The Walking Dead

Or in Arkham City

Sheesh.

Real plot holes in games off the top of my head? Hm. Let's see... I'm coming up empty. I guess games tend to have simple plots, so it's relatively easy to keep them straight. There must be some, though...

I recently got mad at not been able to get the Good Ending on Cave Story and then

Still a fantastic game, but screw that Good Ending.

Mass Effect 3.

The entire series is really good, but at the end it turns into a piece of shit. Makes no sense!

halo 4, how did chief and cortana know who the didact was? this with the bad plot and writting in the game is what made its story total shite, it makes no sense, chief was in crystaisis for years and we had never met a forerunner before and it doesnt help that no one in the story asks any question of anykind about the forerunners. just a terrible story.

Mass effect 3..from the start.. after all the advantaged we have amassed & learnt from ME1 about the reapers, we still need a contrived macguffin/deus ex machina (depending on how you look at it)
advantages include:
2000 year delay allowing everyone to advance
reverse engineered sovereign weapons
control of relays
control of citadel
no surprise attack (they somehow managed to make ME3 a kind of surprise attack anyway)
More diverse aliens thanks to prothean intervention (protheans downfall was lack of diversity)

Dishonoured..not a plot hole but limited mechanic

how is me killing people increasing rats significantly?i'm just one man and the city is full of crime and authorities killing casually. Does my killing make that much of a difference?
Increased guards and rats (if we must keep the rats) should be 2 different mechanics..especially since i can kill someone and make them explode into dust. or kill weepers that rats don't feed on and authorities wouldn't care about.
Weird mechanic

Sniper Team 4:

It's because he is a little biased against humanity achieving anything after ancient humans killed his children in a war and then destroyed all data on the flood to spite the forerunners. In short, he is racist and holds a grudge.

In Heavy Rain, they never explain Ethan's blackouts, which is a pretty big deal because they are the reason he is the main suspect. What is more, they contain information about victims Ethan wouldn't have even met...

I guess I should talk about that ending...

So thermal clips....

You guys see Tali's face?

Nothing's wrong with my game series, shut up.

Starcraft 2. Jim Raynor receives a prophesy from a protoss friend of his that Kerrigan, Queen of Blades and ruler of the Zerg, is vital to defeating the Xel'naga who will return to destroy everything.

Now you might think that her current form, in command of a million billion zerg, had a good chance of defending against the Xel'naga. But no, Jim decides to invade her homeworld and use a magic artifact on her, transforming her into her original form, a twenty something girl in command of roughly nothing. She's prettier, but looks aren't everything when there's a galactic apocalypse coming.

hermes200:
In Heavy Rain, they never explain Ethan's blackouts, which is a pretty big deal because they are the reason he is the main suspect. What is more, they contain information about victims Ethan wouldn't have even met...

they came out in a video and explained that one but it had a supernatural like explanation so the scenes that explained that were cut out of the game. shame really

wakeup:

hermes200:

they came out in a video and explained that one but it had a supernatural like explanation so the scenes that explained that were cut out of the game. shame really

Ohh, yes. The old "character with psychic abilities has a link with the killer" trope. I found that one out later, but it doesn't fix the plot hole they left dangling in the game.
Then again, that trope is so cheap that is probably better they cut it, shame they didn't fix the script to remove the weird blackouts, though.

Renegade Shepard:
I guess I should talk about that ending...

So thermal clips....

You guys see Tali's face?

Nothing's wrong with my game series, shut up.

On the mars mission, why did Cerberus bring land based vehicles? And if they brought them, where was the ship they brought them on? Wouldn't it have shown up on the SR2's scanners like every other Cerberus vessel does?

Who is Vega and how does he know Shepard?

So reapers attack earth and Shepard and Anderson start climbing around on the rooftops. Why? Why didn't they just take the stairs, how is this in any way faster or safer than the sensible thing?

So Legion and all his buddies have been on Rhannoc for 290 years. Why during that amount of time didn't they just pack up their shit and leave when the Quarians came? what is so valuable about a planet to a bunch of machines that they would be willing to risk everything just to keep it?

I can do this all day!

Sniper Team 4:

I wouldn't be too sure about the Flood being completely destroyed. Think about it, there was flood on two of the rings found so far as well as in several other Forerunner installations. Who's to say that there isn't more just waiting to be released? As for why the Didact is trying to kill humanity, I think it's him still being pissed about the war between the humans and Forerunners.

I know I've spotted a few plot holes in a few games, but I can't think of any of them at the moment.

Legion:

Pretty much that. That ending seriously was just bad. "It's your destiny" Fawkes says, but you when I'm thinking with my head that the day can be saved and I'd be able to live sounds like a good prospect. But no the developers decided to make so that you couldn't until Broken Steel.

Neronium:

Legion:

Pretty much that. That ending seriously was just bad. "It's your destiny" Fawkes says, but you when I'm thinking with my head that the day can be saved and I'd be able to live sounds like a good prospect. But no the developers decided to make so that you couldn't until Broken Steel.

Indeed, the "whoever goes in there dies due to radiation poisoning" line made everyone who had Cheron/RL-something/Fawkes to do it, yet they didn't for asinine reasons and even when they agree in Broken Steel, they act pissed about it, why are they pissed?

Rawne1980:
Dragon Age 2.

WHO WRITES THIS SHIT.

You haven't lived until you've played Dragon Age 2 as a mage. Doesn't know what to fucking do with itself.

bloodrayne626:

Who is Vega and how does he know Shepard?

--------

I can do this all day!

Well, that isn't a plot hole, so perhaps not. They've worked together in between the space of ME2 and 3. That's it.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here