This Obsession With Difficulty is a Little Absurd

Pages PREV 1 2 3

DSK-:
Singleplayer wise I always play on the easiest difficulty level possible in a game, simply because I really am not bothered about the challenge. However, in regards to multiplayer modes my opinion goes in the opposite direction.

To be fair, multiplayer these days in the likes of FPS games has gone down in difficulty and complexity due to the control scheme(s) of the biggest user base, consoles. I'm not bashing consoles here, I'm simply saying that in order to make up for the lack of precision in movement, aiming and available binds the mechanics need to be streamlined to make up for it.
Having said that, the way the likes of COD and Halo handle those issues and make up for them in the game mechanics is very well done.

Anyone who can play FPS games on console is a hero in my book, because I can't stand using the controllers :(

I will have to disagree on the point you made about multiplayer shooters and the relation of complexity and difficulty with the number of buttons.
You see Quake 3 arena except from the shortcuts for each weapon,used the WASD for movement,a jump button,a crouch button,a zoom button and a fire button. It used quite less buttons than lets say Crysis 2 or Call of Duty.
But to master that game and not suck at it,you had to learn how to wall jump,strafe jump,and rocket jump,and to master these tactics could take months of tries,perhaps even years,or perhaps some people would never master these technics.

If someone joins a FFA match of Quake Live right now without ever having tried it before,he will be dying in a second or fragments of a second without even realizing where he is been hit from or by who. But the game's controls are way simple and simpler than most modern FPSs.

Take a look at this video:

This is a demonstration of the skills I mentioned above. I've been playing Quake Live for 3 years daily,and I still can't move as fast and get so high as this guy does.

I love a challenge, but I hate frustration. The game has to show me it was my fault that I lost, if I think it was the game's fault, the devs screwed up. For example in ace combat 5 the missions were hard, but satisfactory until you got to the fortress level. You had to protect 12 tanks during an assault. The problem was I would run out of my 99 missiles because there were too many targets. I stopped playing because I thought the game was just being unfair.

Stavros Dimou:

DSK-:
Singleplayer wise I always play on the easiest difficulty level possible in a game, simply because I really am not bothered about the challenge. However, in regards to multiplayer modes my opinion goes in the opposite direction.

To be fair, multiplayer these days in the likes of FPS games has gone down in difficulty and complexity due to the control scheme(s) of the biggest user base, consoles. I'm not bashing consoles here, I'm simply saying that in order to make up for the lack of precision in movement, aiming and available binds the mechanics need to be streamlined to make up for it.
Having said that, the way the likes of COD and Halo handle those issues and make up for them in the game mechanics is very well done.

Anyone who can play FPS games on console is a hero in my book, because I can't stand using the controllers :(

I will have to disagree on the point you made about multiplayer shooters and the relation of complexity and difficulty with the number of buttons.
You see Quake 3 arena except from the shortcuts for each weapon,used the WASD for movement,a jump button,a crouch button,a zoom button and a fire button. It used quite less buttons than lets say Crysis 2 or Call of Duty.
But to master that game and not suck at it,you had to learn how to wall jump,strafe jump,and rocket jump,and to master these tactics could take months of tries,perhaps even years,or perhaps some people would never master these technics.

If someone joins a FFA match of Quake Live right now without ever having tried it before,he will be dying in a second or fragments of a second without even realizing where he is been hit from or by who. But the game's controls are way simple and simpler than most modern FPSs.

Take a look at this video:

This is a demonstration of the skills I mentioned above. I've been playing Quake Live for 3 years daily,and I still can't move as fast and get so high as this guy does.

I didn't necessarily mean buttons alone, but also sensitivity in regards to the mouse, individual weapon binds, aliased binds and so on.

Also, you mention Quake 3, whose overall mechanics and controls haven't changed a great deal since Quake 1, although you do indeed make a good point.

Admittedly, I was probably thinking of this game when I was writing my original post, but in that video I can make out: Primary fire, alternate fire, jump, dodge (double tap directional key) dodge jump (double tap directional key and then jump), shock rifle bind, lighting gun bind, rocket launcher bind, translocator bind, forward, left, right, back, weapon throw bind.

You don't need those individual binds, but they certain help you out instead scroll-wheeling and then dying because you were too slow doing so :(

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked