DmC: Devil May Cry - Honest Opinions

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

King Billi:

The_Scrivener:
I'm not a fan of the games so if my reaction is the same as the 'fan' reaction then it is merely coincidental shared viewpoint.

I don't know the rules on posting links, but in this instance, it is the fastest way to prove my point.

http://www.gamewallpapers.com/previews_480x300/wallpaper_dmc_devil_may_cry_02.jpg

That horse shit is everything wrong with gaming "culture" today and dumb rebooted Dante is right there in the middle of it. I don't want any part of this hypermasculinized crap trash. Regardless of the arc old Dante had, he wasn't conceived as a foul-mouthed high school hard-on jughead. We need characters like Jade from Beyond Good and Evil. We need characters like Lee and Clementine. We need characters that don't set gaming back a year every time they open their mouths for a line of dimwitted dialogue.

Actually that "horse shit" has nothing to do with what is wrong with gaming culture today at all and it also isn't setting gaming back one step by its existence in the same way that the Transformers aren't setting film back or Twilight isn't setting literature back. All forms of creative media are allowed to appeal to whatever audience may exist for them regardless of whether you personally find it "distasteful" or not.

Hollywood isn't fighting a war right now to prove it isn't sexist. Video games are. Hollywood has enough art films and quality inspired titles every year that it can spend the summer releasing bells and whistles pictures. Video gaming doesn't have the luxury of thousands of games like Journey or Portal to help safety net the perception of the culture as a whole. For every Beyond Good and Evil there are 10 Devil May Cry Dante's about to spread a load on 5 submissive angels. That isn't progress.

And to the other post asking what I think about Dante's character arc, I doubt those who view the above promotional picture are thinking the game is going to be the charming hero's journey described.

King Billi:
I'm really glad I'm not a fan of Devil May Cry... Cause I really wouldn't want to be associated in any way with the people out there bitching about this new game and all its supposed sins... The behavior of some of the "fans" really has been far FAR worse than anything I've seen from Ninja Theory.

Seriously people, amend your attitude.

Couldn't have said it better myself, I know exactly what you mean.
I like the look of the game, I might well invest in it.

But jesus, some of you are making embarrassments of yourself. Bloody hell.

King Billi:
I'm really glad I'm not a fan of Devil May Cry... Cause I really wouldn't want to be associated in any way with the people out there bitching about this new game and all its supposed sins... The behavior of some of the "fans" really has been far FAR worse than anything I've seen from Ninja Theory.

Seriously people, amend your attitude.

100% agree, no wonder Capcom has a reputation of f**king with their fanbase, I would as well if I had a fanbase full of ungrateful, immature pricks, just read some of the comments of the DmC review on Destructoid

http://www.destructoid.com/review-dmc-devil-may-cry-242002.phtml

OP: I actually like the game after playing the demo and I'm impressed that Ninja Theory pulled it off, granted I didn't like it at first, but you know what I did next , I got over it and gave it the benefit of the doubt (what some fans should have done). I get why some fans didn't like it, but come on, can they at least admit DmC isn't the worst Devil May Cry, I'm looking at you DMC2

PS: on the subject of DMC2, I noticed some fans calling the new Dante an emo, making me question if they even know the meaning of the word, yeah newsflash, Dante from DMC2, yeah that is an emo

StarStruckStrumpets:
4 was all over the place, I think by then Capcom had actually started to use him as a parody of himself.

I think that was happening by the time they made the second one to be honest they just couldnt replicate the same Dante as the first in 2 and 3 he just seemed a caricature of his original self albeit in different ways as for the fourth I never got very far in that I gave up very early on with Nero I had just had enough 2 and 3 failed to appeal to me in the same way the original did and then ofc Bayonetta came along and made the series redundant with its superb gameplay.

I think they lost their way basically while I am not a fan of the new Dante look I wasnt particularly attached to the old one either I just liked him for his cool moves and ridiculous nonsensical one liners in the first DMC as well as his terrible drama scenes, in the sequels I feel he lost this likebality. When it came to the rest of the cast I always found it a bit hit and miss I quite liked Trish and Lucia but couldnt stand Vergil (Except when he was the black knight then he was awesome) and Nero while I have no real opinions on Lady.

As for the new game I have only played the demo and I was fairly impressed more so than I have been by DMC in a long time the combat seems smoother but quite finicky sometimes without a lock on and on occasion it just dosent flow right but it certainly seems playable and less stop start than prievious DMC games. Still its not on the same level as Bayonetta or even Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 which raised the bar again after the original DMC had raised it the first time.

The environments look amazing and I was very impressed with those parts, storywise I have no idea what its like but I imagine it involves some demonic world ending threat in some way that Dante has to overcome. I liked Heavenly sword and Enslaved stories though so maybe there is hope well actually it was the characters I liked in Heavenly Sword the story itself was just ok.

This isnt a full price purchase for me however but then very very few games are now usually they just sit on the shelf for a few months before I get to play anyway so may as well leave it on the shops shelf and buy it cheap later instead, I may get it later I will have to see if it wasnt a reboot and just a DMC5 odds are it would be a definite non purchase for me though seeing the way my feelings on the series were going.

I am not, in any way, shape or form, a fan of the previous Devil May Cry games. I thought that they were nice from what little I played of them, but I could never really get into them.

I am, however, a fan of Ninja Theory's previous games. Loved Heavenly Sword, still defend Enslaved in spite of it's faults, all primarily because they had solidly told and interesting, if at times inconsistent, storytelling. Ninja Theory were supposed to take this game series that had previously been known for it's combat and take it in a new, story-oriented direction.

And they failed, spectacularly. The story they came up with is the kind of juvenile power fantasy that you would expect out of a middle-school student, with boring and trite dialogue and some of the worst one-liners you're ever going to hear in a game. Worse still is the cast of characters, one of whom is effectively a cardboard cutout, another who is cartoonishly inconsistent in his actions throughout the run of the game, and a protagonist who seems to go out of his way to Poochy is up, only to result in the most unintentionally loathsome player character in recent gaming history.

If you take it all as a farce then you may be able to get some enjoyment out of the story in this game, but that's a defense mechanism. This is, far and away, Ninja Theory's worst game from a storytelling prospective, and I continue to be shocked and appalled that such a formerly outstanding studio would release a product of such low quality.

StarStruckStrumpets:

This is what confuses me about fan reaction to the game. The only game where Dante has had any kind of character arc was the first. We learned more about him and he showed some kind of emotion. In 2, he was a miserable and silent "badass" all the way through. In 3 all Dante needed to get was his Devil Trigger. Apart from that, he remained the same cocky yet entertaining person throughout. 4 was all over the place, I think by then Capcom had actually started to use him as a parody of himself.

At least in this iteration he has grounded reasons for living the way he lives and changes gradually as he finds himself to be accepted by his brother and human friend.

I haven't played the game yet (as I'm waiting to get a lag-free gaming TV/monitor to play it on) to form my own opinions on it, but what's important to me about the game for now is that people are intellectually honest and fair about it.

Yours definately seems that way. Although I did also think detractors were out of hand ahead of Ninja Gaiden 3, and when I tried out the demo, I realised they had been right the whole time and the devs really had badly misjudged and watered down the defining strengths of their series.

Your post seems very fair and balanced, for now. If nothing else, it's very refreshing to read when so many other perspectives on the game come across as historically compounded rationalization. I've avoided spoilers and extended footage of the game ahead of release; but based on what I've seen, I'm convinced I'll enjoy it quite a lot. But then, like Ninja Gaiden, I haven't really 'felt' the gameplay yet.

It's a shame this topic, like any other about the game appears to have degraded away from a well-balanced start so quickly.

I like the game. I think it's better than the originals and i'm having a blast playing as the new Dante. The only complaint I can muster is it's not as difficult as the other games but I mean there are 6 different difficulty modes so that shouldn't really effect anyone.

I think the issue people have with anything like this is the fact no one likes change; yet we complain and complain about things that don't. The fact Capcom was willing to give change a chance already sold me on the purchase.To many developers follow the COD and Halo way of thinking: To much change will scare away the customers.

Everyone who has played the Demo and doesn't like the game thats fine that is your opinion. There is a lot more to this new Dante than what the demo portrays though... The demo consists of early parts of the game where we don't really learn to much about the characters revolving around the world.

My final thoughts so far (I haven't beaten it) is that this game is Ninjas theory take on a established franchise that was lacking innovation and creativity. They choose to do something different with it instead of just cashing in and trying to make something that followed the originals (ex. Halo 3 to Halo 4). Capcom as a publisher took a risk on the project and it worked in my opinion. Everyone who is complaining about the storytelling, the gameplay, or the mechanics are just unwilling to accept change and are the reasons we will always have COD, Halo, and constant sequels that never evolve over the period of there existence.

Can't really say much past my experience with the demo, which is not too positive considering both levels broke on me.

V1rax:
I think the issue people have with anything like this is the fact no one likes change; yet we complain and complain about things that don't. The fact Capcom was willing to give change a chance already sold me on the purchase.To many developers follow the COD and Halo way of thinking: To much change will scare away the customers.

^This

After seeing several reviews of this game on various sites, one thing strikes me. Critics like this game because it is different, established fans of the franchise hate it for the exact same reason. Now change can either be a positive or a negative thing, but here's a question, "Does this game negate the enjoyment you had in the previous installments?" All of those games people have played don't cease to exist because one they didn't like was released. Just because one is a fan of something does not mean it somehow belongs to them. So, the simple solution here is to just not buy the game. If the sales figures suck for it, Capcom will take notice.

Sorry in advance for the wall of text

Honestly, I don't know how you can all be so upset. DMC1 was a looooong time ago. Go back and play it again, then tell me with a straight face that the story was great, the characters were endearing and the dialogue was believable.

From what I've played so far, DMC5 has a better story all-around(more believable characters, far fewer plot-holes, better premise)and has fixed multiple problems with the antiquated control scheme. The combat is as tight and responsive as ever once you adapt to the new button layout. I found myself smiling at all the little inside jokes and references to the older games of the series while keeping a coherent story that actually makes sense within the context of the world.

Let's look at this in a long-view for a moment, we'll break it down one game at a time.

DMC 1:Dante is introduced as a mysterious badass who accepts a job without question from a woman who stabs him in the chest, then throws a motorcycle at him before explaining anything. The dialogue started the trend of laying on the cheese thicker than a drunk roommate making nachos.

The combat was great, laying in the groundwork for the awesomeness that would come after.

The environments were precisely what was "cool" at the time, a decrepit Gothic-inspired castle where the antagonist thwarts you indirectly at every turn like a D&D Dungeon Master with a grudge.

DMC 2:Just... crap... The story was nonsense, the gameplay was lazy and the environments were a muddled brown smear.

DMC 3:A great return-to-form for Dante, and as they couldn't risk reminding anyone of DMC2, they had to go back in the story line to find something worthwhile, and decided to make a prequel about Dante discovering his Devil Trigger ability. The secondary characters were either flat or irritating, but the dialogue struck just the right balance between gravitas and cheese.

The gameplay tightened the bolts on the combat, while adding the style system to allow for many more moves and better replay value.

The environments were pretty unremarkable for the most part. It did a decent job of transitioning between the modern world and the Tower of Infinitely Contrived MacGuffins. I won't even get into the lazy design behind the chess piece enemies.

DMC 4:Now suddenly we're in a weird hybrid between modern and feudal times. The survival-horror influence of the original Resident Evil team that worked on the first one is pretty much gone, but they've done a beautiful job with the (now bright and happy) environments.

Story-wise, Dante has finished his character arc, and is pushed to the back for the sake of introducing Nero. Nero is a whining pubescent little bitch despite his ridiculous power and skill. He pines after his adopted sister, who has even less of a personality than Nero.

The combat was improved in two simultaneous directions, forcing the split and forcing the writers whip up a new protagonist who is equal to Dante in power. Dante kept an improved version of the style system from DMC3, now able to switch styles on the fly. Nero got the arm thing on the other side of the coin, and demonstrated just how much more fluid the combat could be if you could grab enemies and pull them into your combo, rather than chasing them all over the room as you bat them about.

DMC 5: The combat is a natural evolution of fusing both characters from DMC4. Dante kept the most useful moves of both characters, and added a few of his own. It's fast, fluid, and skillful, allowing for both pursuit and pull tactics when dealing with enemies.

The story attempts an update on the theme by allowing the world to exist in parallel with Dante's antics. Instead of forcing the story to take place in some far away island or tower, it's right here in our world, just on the other side of the veil. I couldn't help but smile at the thick parody of American consumerist culture, and our horribly broken banking system.

The reboot was necessary because DMC4 wrote itself into a corner with Dante passing the torch to Nero, who nobody likes.

Anyway, that's my rant/rundown. I played every Devil May Cry to date, and beat each one (yes, even 2) more times than I could possibly count or prove, and I feel that this is the best possible direction in the series. You are all, of course, encouraged to form your own opinions, I only ask that you make them as educated opinions as possible. You don't have to agree with my views, but please take the time to consider what other roads were open to the dev/writing teams before you scream about them taking a wrong turn. We might have ended up with a new trilogy about Sparda's grandchildren, or an entire series surrounding Nero. In the end, the writers painted themselves into a corner, and laying down new floors left the fewest footprints.

I didn't like the idea of the rerelease and every trailer I saw made me hate the game more, but it's actually looking pretty good to me now. I still don't like what they did with Dante, but everything else looks solid. I'd still rather the Gothic setting and industrial music than all this neon and EDM that the series has turned into, but whatever. I'm probably going to get this anyway.

Haven't played the game yet but I really enjoyed the demo so I'll be picking it up soon enough. As much as I'd like to see a legit DMC5, fact is the "story" was going nowhere fast and they screwed the pooch entirely in that regard with DMC4 so it'll be interesting to see what the future of the series is after this.

I don't know what's worse: how awful this game is, or how fans' opinions are trashed about because "derp yer a fanboy".

MailOrderClone:
The story they came up with is the kind of juvenile power fantasy that you would expect out of a middle-school student, with boring and trite dialogue and some of the worst one-liners you're ever going to hear in a game. Worse still is the cast of characters, one of whom is effectively a cardboard cutout, another who is cartoonishly inconsistent in his actions throughout the run of the game, and a protagonist who seems to go out of his way to Poochy is up, only to result in the most unintentionally loathsome player character in recent gaming history.

If you take it all as a farce then you may be able to get some enjoyment out of the story in this game, but that's a defense mechanism. This is, far and away, Ninja Theory's worst game from a storytelling prospective, and I continue to be shocked and appalled that such a formerly outstanding studio would release a product of such low quality.

From what I understand, the stories of their previous games were not entirely written by Ninja Theory staff. They brought in writers, to basically 'fix' the stories they had written.

I remember when they brought in Alex Garland, the writer for Enslaved, he claimed what NT currently had was pretty bad. Namely in regards to Monkey, who in NT's original draft, was a callous loathsome dick.

For example, I think the first serious discussion we had about narrative was on the very first day that I, Tameem and the level designers all sat down together. We got to a section where Monkey was walking down a walkway, and he sees an escaping slave trying to pull himself up to the walkway. And instead of helping the guy up, Monkey kicked him in the face and sent him to his death. They thought this projected the idea that Monkey was a badass. Whereas, to me, it projected the idea that Monkey was a bit of a cunt.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/interview-alex-garland-part-two

Here's what Rhianna Pratchett had to say about her involvement in Heavenly Sword

My job was to brainstorm the story, characters, relationship, themes, etc. with Tameem Antoniades (creative director) and Andy Serkis (dramatic director) and then write up profiles, revise story documents, and completely rewrite the script (without changing the basic spine of the story too much) with those ideas in mind. From that the cutscenes were drawn and visually scoped out.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2007/09/rhianna-pratchett-talks-heavenly-sword-sony-and-andy-serkis/

It seems like DmC is what happens when Ninja Theory is left to their own devices. As evidenced by the previous iteration of Monkey, they have a very bad impression of what a "badass" is supposed to be.

I don't really like it and before some ignorant just shouts that I don't like it because of the hair change, then shut up. It has nothing to do with the hair.

My problem is that they took the things out of a dmc game that made dmc games good in the first place. It's not a bad game but it's not a good dmc game. It took a step back from the other games in the gameplay department.

The games were always really fast paced. Quick combos, switching weapons, continue combos, switch powers, etc. All that went really fast and if you wanted a high style score in the hardest difficulty setting, that's what you had to do. That feeling of speed is gone a bit here.
Weapon changing is too sluggish for example. They also don't encourage to use different combos. Just pick one and keep using that. What makes that even worse is that some enemies can't even be hurt by certain weapons and you can't use whatever weapon and combos you want against the enemies, you're forced to use a certain weapon. That takes the creative freedom out that previews games offered.
The game is also too easy. I managed way too quickly and easily an SSS rating on the highest difficulty. It's now based on damage done. I've mentioned this above, you can just keep using the same attack and get a high rating. Switching weapons and styles isn't necessary anymore. Once you're in the air, most enemies can't do anything anymore to you and it's easy to stay in the air for a long time.

One more thing. Dante and a 1200 old worm just saying fuck you and other childish insults you to each other a couple times? I know that the dialog never was a strong point of dmc games but that's just stupid. It sounds like they hired a middle schooler to write the dialog (and the story sometimes).

I just hate how this whole debate has somehow been defined by Dante's new look.

I don't give a shit about that. Capcom can reboot the series as much as they like. All I care about is that they build and expand on the combat engine of the previous games. That's what fans love about the game, the fact that it offers a slock, fluid fighting hack-and-slash game with a combat engine only matched by Ninja Gaiden. Devil May Cries 1, 3 and 4 all managed to up the game with their combat, and make it deeper and more responsive.

For a new DMC game, I would similarly expect the gameplay to be upped. If it cannot hold up to DMC 3 or 4, then what's the point? It's useless. It's bloody useless. And what I've seen of the DMC reboot, the gameplay simply doesn't hold up as well. It looks a like an average hack-and-slasher, not the latest in arguably the defining game of the genre. I'm more of a fan of Ninja Gaiden myself, but even I can recognise that the DMC series has probably contributed more than any other in terms of gameplay, and I simply don't see that carrying on in the new game. Instead, it seems to be focusing on crass humour and pretty visuals.

I will not say anything about actual gameplay, because I have not played the game or demo.
But I am currently watching a playthrough of it, so here is what I think about other aspects:

Graphics: looks nice, but playing vidiagamez for graphic is like watching porn for a story.

Aestetics: also nice, but too many acid colours, which hurt my eyes.

Music: not really liking it. While in previous instalments music had suiting rhythm, this one does not, which hurts the flow.

Presentation: Clusterf*$k. Opening sequence did it to me. You may make main character a womanizer or an innocent sheep, gentle lover or lust hungry beast, but you do NOT start any game, movie, whatever, with shots of female reproductive organs and two females making out. Class people. Class!

Main character: I can't say that I REALLY dislike him, he may be as rebellious as devs want, it is their right (too much swearings, though). But what I DO find revolting is NT's treatment of heritage. Example: during one of the cutscenes, a white wig lands on Dantes head. He looks in the mirror and says: "Not in the million years". That is just a big Screw You aimed at fans of the series. No matter how much potential client, potential buyer annoys you, you always treat him/her with respect if you want your stuff to be bought. Also, why couldn't they simply change his name to, for example, Caesar? The whole controversy would have been avoided. Imagine, that if you like, for example Stree Fighter series, it gets rebooted and suddenly Ryu is a brash, cocky street punk, who learned his skills from his father. Now it doesn't sound to horrible, but imagine if it really happened. But change his name to, for example, Shiro, and negative reaction is soothed.

Minor: I like how guns shoot, I dislike that gaining SSS rank is a lot easier.

OK, here is something to lighten up the mood:

Vidiot:
-snip-

Great post, though I would disagree on some points.

I don't Nero is really hated for whining, it's more the fact that he's a carbon copy of Dante, who while he makes the same insane stunts, he's not really enjoying them, making the player angry, kind of Max Payne in the 3rd game. He's a serious guy in a cheesy story, which breaks immersion.

Devil May Cry 4 also has problems with how limited Nero seems to Dante, all solutions to the problems Nero has is, use your arm to become Zangief. It should've been a weapon with it's own combos and the grappling, maybe the grapples as a finishing move only.

My problem with DmC is the dialogue and the fact that most of the world doesn't care about satire about America since I don't live there. I don't care about the Glenn Beck/Bill O' Reilly/Skrillex guy since I really don't know who they are.

Also what I've seen of the game play makes me just want to play god of war, but I can't comment on it.

Still 1 and 3 had a easy and cheesy plot and awesome action choreography (OK maybe 3) using moves you can pull in the game. They should've made DMC with Dante again as the protagonist and Nero as the new Vergil, make him possessed or something.

I haven't played 2, since I've heard it's horrendous.

EDIT: I love how the defenders and haters of the game are equally fervent and childish in their insults. I'm siding with the haters since they usually have more constructive things to say than: "You don't like ti cause of the black hair."

V1rax:

I think the issue people have with anything like this is the fact no one likes change; yet we complain and complain about things that don't.

No, that's not it at all. No one likes change if it changes something well established. Most people don't want too much change in individual IP's, they want change in what new IP's are created.

My final thoughts so far (I haven't beaten it) is that this game is Ninjas theory take on a established franchise that was lacking innovation and creativity. They choose to do something different with it instead of just cashing in and trying to make something that followed the originals (ex. Halo 3 to Halo 4). Capcom as a publisher took a risk on the project and it worked in my opinion.

I could bend this another way. Perhaps they didn't take a risk by changing it. Perhaps ninja theory wanted to make something new but Capcom didn't want to take the risk so they gave them the DMC name to coast on. That's just as bad as making minimal changes to a series.

Everyone who is complaining about the storytelling, the gameplay, or the mechanics are just unwilling to accept change and are the reasons we will always have COD, Halo, and constant sequels that never evolve over the period of there existence.

Really? So people can't have legitimate criticism for the game, they're just being stubborn. That's not really something to say if you want a legitimate discussion.

ex275w:

Vidiot:
-snip-

I don't Nero is really hated for whining, it's more the fact that he's a carbon copy of Dante, who while he makes the same insane stunts, he's not really enjoying them, making the player angry, kind of Max Payne in the 3rd game. He's a serious guy in a cheesy story, which breaks immersion.

Devil May Cry 4 also has problems with how limited Nero seems to Dante, all solutions to the problems Nero has is, use your arm to become Zangief. It should've been a weapon with it's own combos and the grappling, maybe the grapples as a finishing move only.

My problem with DmC is the dialogue and the fact that most of the world doesn't care about satire about America since I don't live there. I don't care about the Glenn Beck/Bill O' Reilly/Skrillex guy since I really don't know who they are.

Still 1 and 3 had a easy and cheesy plot and awesome action choreography (OK maybe 3) using moves you can pull in the game.

First off, I completely agree with your first paragraph, (especially with the Max Payne 3 comparison)you hit the nail square on the head with that one. I also think that DMC4 could've been a much better game without Nero, and giving his Devil Arm to Dante as a... well... (I see what you did there, Capcom)Devil Arm.

I still disagree with you about the dialogue, as I think that the (admittedly spotty) dialogue in DMC5 is still an improvement.
As for the whole Fox News satire not hitting home with anyone not living in the US, I have to wonder if consumerist consumption culture isn't quit as bad/out of hand elsewhere, despite news outlets telling us that it's the same everywhere in the 1st world. (BTW, doesn't Rupert Murdoch own just as much of England, France, and Germany's media outlets as he does here?)
Also, if the thing about the banking system went right past you as an American problem, then you're probably not paying much attention to global economic trends over the past 15 years.

To me personally, I've already played this reboot. it was wonderful and nobody got pissed. Dante underwent a sex change. She was controversial, but made with enough tastefulness and empowerment that fans couldn't get upset. She, and the game, had soul. You can save a lot of frustration by looking for "team little devils" instead of the letters "DMC". Know where the heart of the series is, a name isn't enough to go on.

Vidiot:

ex275w:

Vidiot:
-snip-

Still 1 and 3 had a easy and cheesy plot and awesome action choreography (OK maybe 3) using moves you can pull in the game.

First off, I completely agree with your first paragraph, (especially with the Max Payne 3 comparison)you hit the nail square on the head with that one. I also think that DMC4 could've been a much better game without Nero, and giving his Devil Arm to Dante as a... well... (I see what you did there, Capcom)Devil Arm.

I still disagree with you about the dialogue, as I think that the (admittedly spotty) dialogue in DMC5 is still an improvement.
As for the whole Fox News satire not hitting home with anyone not living in the US, I have to wonder if consumerist consumption culture isn't quit as bad/out of hand elsewhere, despite news outlets telling us that it's the same everywhere in the 1st world. (BTW, doesn't Rupert Murdoch own just as much of England, France, and Germany's media outlets as he does here?)
Also, if the thing about the banking system went right past you as an American problem, then you're probably not paying much attention to global economic trends over the past 15 years.

Well I'm mexican, so I don't know who Rupert Murodch really is. (Gonna investigate him though)
Consumerist culture and banking problems, while still problems in other countries, aren't really focuses of countries like Mexico, since we kind of have other, you might say, important problems related to drug cartels. They are mostly looked as "stupid things gringos do", kind of like a wacky neighbor in a sitcom, that still end affecting us.

Well, not played it yet. I bought the DmC HD C late last year and I wasn't blown away by it but the new DmC demo... I freaking loved it! And I prefer new Dante, he's funnier and... Well let's just say I'm going to get it pretty damn soon...

Rupert Murdoch (spelling?) is the owner of all things related to the Fox Network in the US. I have to agree that the cartels are a much more immediate problem for Mexico. Though you may want to keep in mind that attempting to control the global economy through strategic use of debt and at-interest loans to world governments is one of those "stupid things gringos do" and should any one faction succeed in "owning everything worth owning" it will create problems that would be far harder to deal with than the Mexican cartels in the long term.

So how long do you think we'll have to wait for Ninja Theory to release a DLC pack with classic Dante outfit with the hair and everything? Because we all know it's gonna happen. And they will want us to pay for it :D

Adam Jensen:
So how long do you think we'll have to wait for Ninja Theory to release a DLC pack with classic Dante outfit with the hair and everything? Because we all know it's gonna happen. And they will want us to pay for it :D

They already have one, I posted some of the costumes on the front page and the mystery one is a DMC3 skin. Still looks terrible since Donte looks like a hobo that desperately needs a shower and a laundrymat.

MailOrderClone:
I am not, in any way, shape or form, a fan of the previous Devil May Cry games. I thought that they were nice from what little I played of them, but I could never really get into them.

I am, however, a fan of Ninja Theory's previous games. Loved Heavenly Sword, still defend Enslaved in spite of it's faults, all primarily because they had solidly told and interesting, if at times inconsistent, storytelling. Ninja Theory were supposed to take this game series that had previously been known for it's combat and take it in a new, story-oriented direction.

And they failed, spectacularly. The story they came up with is the kind of juvenile power fantasy that you would expect out of a middle-school student, with boring and trite dialogue and some of the worst one-liners you're ever going to hear in a game. Worse still is the cast of characters, one of whom is effectively a cardboard cutout, another who is cartoonishly inconsistent in his actions throughout the run of the game, and a protagonist who seems to go out of his way to Poochy is up, only to result in the most unintentionally loathsome player character in recent gaming history.

Because Ninja Theory are actually a bunch of frauds when it comes to story-telling. They had to get other people (like Rhianna Pratchett and Alex Garland) to write their games FOR THEM. THIS is NT's actual talent and it's not a lot.

I didn't like the new western aesthetic sensibilities. And when you get right down to it, outside the combat system (which I have to say really is true to the series) the only thing it has in common with Devil May Cry is the names of characters, weapons and such, beyond a name, none of the mythology is really the same, not that devil may cry was ever very complex in the story department. All in all, it's good game! Ninja Theory make good games. But while I don't hold it against them, good as their games are (and good as this game is) they still can't compare to Devil May Cry.
I think the problem is, Devil May Cry is a true hack 'n' slasher. you might think that makes ninja theory an ideal choice, but really what they make are PS2 style run aroundy platformers with a bit of hack 'n' slashing in the combat.
At the end of the day, in my head, I don't consider this a Devil May Cry game, but under a different name (let's call it, The Adventures of Captain Pixie Hair) yeah, it's worth checking out.

I'm playing it right now, I'm about to infiltrate the news anchor's prison. So far, it's been a hell of a fun game. The combat and levels feel very Devil May Cry. Using Eryx in conjunction with the scythe and whip is about as fun as it gets. I'm taking it kind of slow, as I've had work and Sir Hammerlock beckons, but so far it's been top notch( not that I expected anything else from the people who gave me Enslaved and Heavely Sword).

Is this reaction really necessary? I haven't seen much of the game nor have I played it, but the response from the fans is embarrassing to say the least, with the major complaint seeming to be, grar it's not the same as the previous games, therefore is shit. I have to ask how many of you have played the game itself, I mean seriously the amount of hate seems indirectly proportional to the amount who have actually played it and for what exactly, what are you hoping to accomplish? I'm mean lets pretend that it is as abysmal as some many of you are saying it is, what is lost? Someone took a chance on trying to add their own touch to a game and reinvigorate a series that from where I'm sitting looked dead since the release of number 4. It didn't work but at least they're trying something new and if they have to borrow the title of a series to actually try it then more power to them. The funny thing is though, it looks like a number of people have actually enjoyed it and thought it was pretty damn good. It's like those people who complain about the Hobbit not being the same as LOTR, it's a different product and should be judges on it's own merits not that of its predecessor. It is a reboot after all, shouldn't the judgement be based on what it was trying to accomplish not what you wanted it to accomplish? Also complaining about the appearance of the main character is stupid, pure and simple. If it was legitimately bad then yes I totally get it, but it's not even that poor, not the best but I've seen significantly worse.

*edit* I am very sorry, I didnt meant to post that here LOL. Someone can delete posts maybe?

I liked the old Dante. He was retarded and often obnoxious, but his voice acting was solid and he had a stupid charm. Unlike this one.
But that's not even relevant. DMC is hardly something you play for a story or characters. It's about one thing, and one thing only: combat. Gratuitous, difficult, lightning-fast, crazy combat. And they fucked that up.
I'll probably never forgive them and stuff.

Aiddon:
Because Ninja Theory are actually a bunch of frauds when it comes to story-telling. They had to get other people (like Rhianna Pratchett and Alex Garland) to write their games FOR THEM. THIS is NT's actual talent and it's not a lot.

Frauds? Seriously? Ninja Theory are just out to take credit for other peoples work is that it?

I can only speak in regards to Enslaved: Odyssey to the West but I recall Alex Garland being given massive dues for his work on the story for that game in nearly every piece of publicity I saw... His name is even listed twice on the back of the bloody cover for the game as Co-writer so I can't see how you can imply Ninja Theory being frauds..?

Are you just trying to say f**k it to any form of creative collaboration? Or just when it applys to Ninja Theory?

Vidiot:

The reboot was necessary because DMC4 wrote itself into a corner with Dante passing the torch to Nero, who nobody likes.

Anyway, that's my rant/rundown. I played every Devil May Cry to date, and beat each one (yes, even 2) more times than I could possibly count or prove, and I feel that this is the best possible direction in the series. You are all, of course, encouraged to form your own opinions, I only ask that you make them as educated opinions as possible. You don't have to agree with my views, but please take the time to consider what other roads were open to the dev/writing teams before you scream about them taking a wrong turn. We might have ended up with a new trilogy about Sparda's grandchildren, or an entire series surrounding Nero. In the end, the writers painted themselves into a corner, and laying down new floors left the fewest footprints.

I prefer Nero by a lot over the new Dante whose "humor" is reduced to profanity. The dialog of DmC brings us such hilarious oneliners as "I have a bigger dick" (Vergil) or Dante smiling while talking about how fun it was to kill Mundos unborn baby, not to mention that abomination of a bossfight that is "the secret ingredient".

The controls of the game are also pretty bad with the whips and weaponswitching on the same button. More than once i found myself using them when i didn't want to in the demo. It also seems a ton easier to pull of high style-points.

There is also tons of plattforming sequences which don't fit the action feel of the game and during which you can't die anyways, rendering them mostly pointless.

From playing the demo, I think its okay. It seems kinda easy and has a questionable choice of enemies(YOU CAN ONLY HURT THIS ONE WITH ANGEL POWERS! AND THIS ONE ONLY WITH DEMON POWERS) but its not bad. Just a shame that the gameplay is so slow compared to the other DMCs. The grittiness is nice and the Limbo parts look amazing. The look of this game is perfect, I'll give NT that. It's no DMC 3 or 4 though.

Also, the game's misuse of "Nephilim" is kind of annoying. Nephilim were born of "The sons of God" and "The daughters of man", not between demons and angels. As far as I know there is no name for a child born of angel and demon parents.

I'll probably buy this game after it comes out on the PC and the price drops a little bit. And after I 100% Revengeance.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here