DmC: Devil May Cry - Honest Opinions

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Since two days ago my roomie finally caved in and decided to grab it for the 360 and to his surprise he felt fooled and is currently thinking of turning it in for store credit to go buy something else.

I can't blame him since he's an old Devil May Cry fan himself like me and while I warned him the new version wouldn't be anything like what we had enjoyed back then he still went and bought it.

So in the end I got to watch him play it for around 10 hrs before he finally decided to call it quits (He offered me a go to which I flat out declined in a heartbeat).

To the both of us this is not the DMC we loved and remembered but something "totally different and not original".

I'd also like to point something out since a lot of "pro DMC" fans seem to jump on the vets regardless of their opinions I will ask you this:

How would you like it if everything you ever loved or even liked at all were to suddenly change into something you hate to the point where you are backed into a corner with nothing to like at all but a constant change to something you will dislike?.

That and if we are going to reboot DMC let's reboot every single game imaginable and see the massive collective reaction because not every game needs an entire change seeing as how nw IP's can be used for total creative change that many of us have beckoned for.

Oh and seeing as how we're giving this new DMC a jolly good supportive shot let's also do the same for the next Homefront and WOW expansion etc since praise means absolutely nothing any more along with negative criticism

Burst6:

V1rax:

I think the issue people have with anything like this is the fact no one likes change; yet we complain and complain about things that don't.

No, that's not it at all. No one likes change if it changes something well established. Most people don't want too much change in individual IP's, they want change in what new IP's are created.

My final thoughts so far (I haven't beaten it) is that this game is Ninjas theory take on a established franchise that was lacking innovation and creativity. They choose to do something different with it instead of just cashing in and trying to make something that followed the originals (ex. Halo 3 to Halo 4). Capcom as a publisher took a risk on the project and it worked in my opinion.

I could bend this another way. Perhaps they didn't take a risk by changing it. Perhaps ninja theory wanted to make something new but Capcom didn't want to take the risk so they gave them the DMC name to coast on. That's just as bad as making minimal changes to a series.

Everyone who is complaining about the storytelling, the gameplay, or the mechanics are just unwilling to accept change and are the reasons we will always have COD, Halo, and constant sequels that never evolve over the period of there existence.

Really? So people can't have legitimate criticism for the game, they're just being stubborn. That's not really something to say if you want a legitimate discussion.

To your points:
1: I stand by what I said. As human being we are lazy, irritable, habitual creatures who are scared of change.

2: See that doesn't make any sense to me. Ninja Theory didn't do well with Enslaved... as a developer they wouldn't of been given many options to continue production on a brand new IP. I think Capcom came to them to create a new DMC game and thats what they did. Capcom wouldn't of let Ninja Theory do what they did if it wasn't what they wanted. Capcom has shown it does what it wants with its series (RE6, Lost Planet etc).

3: I'm not looking for legitimate discussion about anything. People on this board tend to complain and complain about something they should NOT have control over. I don't think gamers have the right to tell developers how to make games (Mass effect 3, Resident Evil 6). If you don't like it don't buy it. Don't buy it and complain about something, your not special. Just because we have the internet doesn't give you some magic ability to control how games are developed.

Shadow-Phoenix:

How would you like it if everything you ever loved or even liked at all were to suddenly change into something you hate to the point where you are backed into a corner with nothing to like at all but a constant change to something you will dislike?.

Happened to COD. I liked it
Happened to Resident Evil. I liked it
Happened to DMC. I love it

If I want to revisit my childhood I go back and play those games. Thats why I still own them.
I buy new games for new experiences. Once a series is done (3 games imo) it should be changed and redone. if the new Mass Effect is anything like the other 3 I won't play it. I'm not buying the new Gears of War because it's to much like the other 3. Any developer who is scared to change their products will not get any money for me.

V1rax:

To your points:
1: I stand by what I said. As human being we are lazy, irritable, habitual creatures who are scared of change.

2: See that doesn't make any sense to me. Ninja Theory didn't do well with Enslaved... as a developer they wouldn't of been given many options to continue production on a brand new IP. I think Capcom came to them to create a new DMC game and thats what they did. Capcom wouldn't of let Ninja Theory do what they did if it wasn't what they wanted. Capcom has shown it does what it wants with its series (RE6, Lost Planet etc).

3: I'm not looking for legitimate discussion about anything. People on this board tend to complain and complain about something they should NOT have control over. I don't think gamers have the right to tell developers how to make games (Mass effect 3, Resident Evil 6). If you don't like it don't buy it. Don't buy it and complain about something, your not special. Just because we have the internet doesn't give you some magic ability to control how games are developed.

1) Yes, we are. That doesn't really change anything about what i said though. You said people ask for change and then complain when it comes and used this as an example. I said this is not what those people want. The people actually complaining that COD is stale (who are probably in the minority) are the ones who would go out to buy a fresh new IP.

2) I'm just saying. It's not all that uncommon for Publishers to use that strategy.

3) Yes gamers should have the right to tell developers how to make games. That's called criticism, and it's important if you want good games. Purely voting with your wallet is a horrible idea because it doesn't tell the developers anything. How are they supposed to know what problems their games have if no one tells them. How are they even supposed to know that the game didn't sell well because the game was bad. Maybe the advertising team didn't work well. What are the publishers supposed to think if they have no info. Of course they don't have to listen, but a lot of them do and it works. Just because you don't like to have your favorite games insulted doesn't mean people should stop pointing out problems they have.

Happened to Resident Evil. I liked it

People complained about RE because it took a genre that was already very rare genre (survival horror) and turned it into a generic Michael bay style action game. Yes that's change, but then again turning legend of zelda into a modern warfare clone would be change too. It doesn't mean it's good.

King Billi:
I'm really glad I'm not a fan of Devil May Cry... Cause I really wouldn't want to be associated in any way with the people out there bitching about this new game and all its supposed sins... The behavior of some of the "fans" really has been far FAR worse than anything I've seen from Ninja Theory.

Seriously people, amend your attitude.

That's a clever little trick you just did there, demonizing the opposition and their valid complaints by saying they're "bitching." People do the same thing by calling others "haters."

If I order a steak and the chef takes a big, floppy shit on my plate instead, and I complain about it, am I "bitching" too? Because that's what Ninja Theory did with this reboot.

Hazy:
That's a clever little trick you just did there, demonizing the opposition and their valid complaints by saying they're "bitching." People do the same thing by calling others "haters."

If I order a steak and the chef takes a big, floppy shit on my plate instead, and I complain about it, am I "bitching" too? Because that's what Ninja Theory did with this reboot.

And this is seriosuly the best example of a "valid complaint" you can offer? Calling the game a "big, floppy shit"?

Disregarding for the moment the overall positive reception this game has recieved from critics thus far I will only state right now that any sympathy I ever had for the fans of Devil May Cry before this game was released were destroyed soley from reading these kinds responses...any valid points they may have had are overshadowed by childish whining and insults.

King Billi:

Hazy:

And this is seriosuly the best example of a "valid complaint" you can offer? Calling the game a "big, floppy shit"?

Disregarding for the moment the overall positive reception this game has recieved from critics thus far I will only state right now that any sympathy I ever had for the fans of Devil May Cry before this game was released were destroyed soley from reading these kinds responses...any valid points they may have had are overshadowed by childish whining and insults.

Valid complaints were destroyed by comments you don't like? So what you are really saying here is that you chose to be willfully ignorant and then have the gall to tell other people to amend their attitude when you can't even pay attention to what people are saying in the first place.

shadow skill:
Valid complaints were destroyed by comments you don't like? So what you are really saying here is that you chose to be willfully ignorant and then have the gall to tell other people to amend their attitude when you can't even pay attention to what people are saying in the first place.

Allow me to rephrase... I haven't heard anything approaching a "valid" or "reasonable" complaint aimed at this game from alot of this series supposed fans and what I meant to say was that IF they have any valid arguments then I don't know what they are because all I'm hearing is things along the same line as the aforemnetioned "big, floppy shit"

It may very well not be a "True" Devil May Cry game but having seen what Ninja Theory have made here and played it for myself I don't see that it deserves any criticism at all just on the basis of being too different.

King Billi:

shadow skill:

Allow me to rephrase... I haven't heard anything approaching a "valid" or "reasonable" complaint aimed at this game from alot of this series supposed fans and what I meant to say was that IF they have any valid arguments then I don't know what they are because all I'm hearing is things along the same line as the aforemnetioned "big, floppy shit"

It may very well not be a "True" Devil May Cry game but having seen what Ninja Theory have made here and played it for myself I don't see that it deserves any criticism at all just on the basis of being too different.

Do you want me to post it?
No I won't bother. You wouldn't read it.
It goes beyond 20,000 words that are all perfectly valid.

Archer666:
From playing the demo, I think its okay. It seems kinda easy and has a questionable choice of enemies(YOU CAN ONLY HURT THIS ONE WITH ANGEL POWERS! AND THIS ONE ONLY WITH DEMON POWERS) but its not bad. Just a shame that the gameplay is so slow compared to the other DMCs. The grittiness is nice and the Limbo parts look amazing. The look of this game is perfect, I'll give NT that. It's no DMC 3 or 4 though.

Also, the game's misuse of "Nephilim" is kind of annoying. Nephilim were born of "The sons of God" and "The daughters of man", not between demons and angels. As far as I know there is no name for a child born of angel and demon parents.

I'll probably buy this game after it comes out on the PC and the price drops a little bit. And after I 100% Revengeance.

Don't forget that "succubus"

Kitsune Hunter:

King Billi:
I'm really glad I'm not a fan of Devil May Cry... Cause I really wouldn't want to be associated in any way with the people out there bitching about this new game and all its supposed sins... The behavior of some of the "fans" really has been far FAR worse than anything I've seen from Ninja Theory.

Seriously people, amend your attitude.

100% agree, no wonder Capcom has a reputation of f**king with their fanbase, I would as well if I had a fanbase full of ungrateful, immature pricks, just read some of the comments of the DmC review on Destructoid

http://www.destructoid.com/review-dmc-devil-may-cry-242002.phtml

OP: I actually like the game after playing the demo and I'm impressed that Ninja Theory pulled it off, granted I didn't like it at first, but you know what I did next , I got over it and gave it the benefit of the doubt (what some fans should have done). I get why some fans didn't like it, but come on, can they at least admit DmC isn't the worst Devil May Cry, I'm looking at you DMC2

PS: on the subject of DMC2, I noticed some fans calling the new Dante an emo, making me question if they even know the meaning of the word, yeah newsflash, Dante from DMC2, yeah that is an emo

Because this is a video game that deserves a 8-10/10
DMC2 isn't an argument becuase 1 it's terrible 2 it's very low budget 3 the series was still finding it's own identity
4 two games actually came after it. You support of abuse isn't helping things.
It's a 6/10 game. These are the same people that rate games of spunkgargleweewee 10/10
Mediocrity shouldn't be rewarded by being treated like it isn't mediocre

This DMC is as bad as DMC 2 it was made by a man who wanted to shove his face into the game. Tried to make himself the hero and effectively repeated all of the mistakes of DMC2 with regard to Dante's personality. They didn't improve on two, they just have better production values than two did. Partially because of advances in the technology available. It actually is as bad as two, the only reason it doesn't feel like it is because we are coming off of DMC 4 and not DMC 1. it was the greatness of the first game which magnified the failure that was and is DMC2.

King Billi:

shadow skill:

The combat simply isn't up to snuff. How's that?

The Devil May Cry series is renowned for how it revolutionised melee combat in Hack And Slash games. It pretty much single-handedly invented the modern Hack&Slash as we know it. Other games like Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden are working from the template Devil May Cry built.

Now, excepting 2, every DMC game has built on the combat from the one before it. The first game set the tone with its revolutionary combat engine. Devil May Cry 3 took that foundation, and added the ability to change between weapons and styles on the fly, as well as deepening the degree to which players could string moves together. There's a reason why it's still regarded by many as the best H&S game to this day. DMC4, for all its other flaws, managed to take the combat and deepen it further by adding the Devil Trigger, amongst other changes.

The Devil May Cry series is pretty much the ultimate pedigree when it comes to fast-paced melee combat. Therefore, any new entry in the series should seek to build on that. That simply is not the case with the new game. The combat doesn't build on the legacy of 3 or 4 in any meaningful way. For the most part, it actually takes backwards steps. The best thing you can say about the combat is that it's better than Ninja Theory's other games, and that it's not bad for a Hack And Slash. The problem is, Not Bad simply isn't good enough for a Devil May Cry game. Not when other games like Bayonetta have come out to raise the bar again for the genre.

Capcom should have taken one look at Bayonetta, and been inspired to try and one-up Platinum games with the next DMC game. Instead, they farmed it out to a developer which simply has no experience with fast, responsive combat. Any other series, I'd applaud how far Ninja Theory has progresses with their combat mechanics, but with the DMC moniker comes a certain high standard, and the new game simply doesn't live up to that. When the previous games managed to make combat that was nigh on perfect in its buttery smooth fluidity and response, anything less than that is a complete failure to live up to the series high standards.

Bayonetta is a fast, responsive H&S that manages to combine beautiful graphics, deep combat and 60fps display together into one package. If the guys at Platinum could do it with their new IP, there's no reason Capcom and Ninja Theory couldn't have with Devil May Cry.

A true Devil May Cry game isn't defined by setting or story, but by how smooth, fast and responsive the combat is. By that definition, Bayonetta is this generation's true Devil May Cry (it was even made by the series' creator), and DmC is simply an imposter wearing Dante's face.

Call me fanboy but I just can't force myself to play new DmC. It's just not Devil May Cry. It's not. I loved previous games. Loved the characters ( yup, even Nero). I loved the level design, I loved pretty much everything (even liiiiight). But this... I'm not saying that it' s a bad game. On the contrary. I think it's rather good, despite it's flaws. It's just not THE DMC it's just DmC. I looked at the demo and...just like that, the magic was gone.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
The combat simply isn't up to snuff. How's that?

The Devil May Cry series is renowned for how it revolutionised melee combat in Hack And Slash games. It pretty much single-handedly invented the modern Hack&Slash as we know it. Other games like Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden are working from the template Devil May Cry built.

Now, excepting 2, every DMC game has built on the combat from the one before it. The first game set the tone with its revolutionary combat engine. Devil May Cry 3 took that foundation, and added the ability to change between weapons and styles on the fly, as well as deepening the degree to which players could string moves together. There's a reason why it's still regarded by many as the best H&S game to this day. DMC4, for all its other flaws, managed to take the combat and deepen it further by adding the Devil Trigger, amongst other changes.

The Devil May Cry series is pretty much the ultimate pedigree when it comes to fast-paced melee combat. Therefore, any new entry in the series should seek to build on that. That simply is not the case with the new game. The combat doesn't build on the legacy of 3 or 4 in any meaningful way. For the most part, it actually takes backwards steps. The best thing you can say about the combat is that it's better than Ninja Theory's other games, and that it's not bad for a Hack And Slash. The problem is, Not Bad simply isn't good enough for a Devil May Cry game. Not when other games like Bayonetta have come out to raise the bar again for the genre.

Capcom should have taken one look at Bayonetta, and been inspired to try and one-up Platinum games with the next DMC game. Instead, they farmed it out to a developer which simply has no experience with fast, responsive combat. Any other series, I'd applaud how far Ninja Theory has progresses with their combat mechanics, but with the DMC moniker comes a certain high standard, and the new game simply doesn't live up to that. When the previous games managed to make combat that was nigh on perfect in its buttery smooth fluidity and response, anything less than that is a complete failure to live up to the series high standards.

Bayonetta is a fast, responsive H&S that manages to combine beautiful graphics, deep combat and 60fps display together into one package. If the guys at Platinum could do it with their new IP, there's no reason Capcom and Ninja Theory couldn't have with Devil May Cry.

A true Devil May Cry game isn't defined by setting or story, but by how smooth, fast and responsive the combat is. By that definition, Bayonetta is this generation's true Devil May Cry (it was even made by the series' creator), and DmC is simply an imposter wearing Dante's face.

This is more than reasonable.

I can completely understand your argument in this case and above all else respect your opinion as you were able to offer your point of view calmly and constructively without resorting to over the top ranting and insults.

In my opinion the fact that DmC was made by a completely different developer to those that made the previous games coupled with the fact that they opted for a reboot gives them more reason than most to make something different and uniquely their... at the very least it should make it somewhat more understandable.

All I can really offer is the old saying of "what's in a name"? I mean as long as the "true" Devil May Cry style is still alive somewhere even if it's being taken up by different hands then at least there's something worthwhile to look forward to elsewhere, there's really no need to focus to much on DmC or to be unecessarily harsh to it.

King Billi:

This is more than reasonable.

I can completely understand your argument in this case and above all else respect your opinion as you were able to offer your point of view calmly and constructively without resorting to over the top ranting and insults.

In my opinion the fact that DmC was made by a completely different developer to those that made the previous games coupled with the fact that they opted for a reboot gives them more reason than most to make something different and uniquely their... at the very least it should make it somewhat more understandable.

All I can really offer is the old saying of "what's in a name"? I mean as long as the "true" Devil May Cry style is still alive somewhere even if it's being taken up by different hands then at least there's something worthwhile to look forward to elsewhere, there's really no need to focus to much on DmC or to be unecessarily harsh to it.

I don't buy this. Sorry, but I don't.

Sequels are never a necessary thing. If a developer or publisher is choosing to make a sequel to a game, then they need to validate that somehow. Barring 2 once again, DMC3 and 4 justified their existence by taking the combat of the original, its most notable and innovative feature, and ramping it up to frankly incredible levels.

This new game has seemingly failed to do so. And I'm not going to go easy on it just because there are better games out there. The fact that there are better games like Bayonetta is all the reason to get critical on this reboot. By giving this game the title DmC, Capcom invited us to actively compare it to the previous games in the series, games that stood as some of the absolute best the genre had to offer. If Platinum could make a 60fps, visually beautiful, ridiculously deep fighter with Bayonetta, then there simply isn't any reason Capcom couldn't do the same. The new game fails to live up to that standard, as well as the standard set by previous games, and therefore I'm going to criticise it as such.

This isn't just some DMC-specific thing. Any sequel which fails to add or improve anything from its previous iterations, I'll criticise the same. I think Halo 4 is by far the weakest in the series, given that it has next to no new gameplay additions, and several mechanic removals compared to previous games. I think the COD series has been getting stale for years, and there was no reason for MW2 or anything beyond to be made, except to make Activision extra money. Team Ninja utterly shit the bed with Ninja Gaiden 3, and how in comparison it pales to Black and 2.

DMC3 and 4 set the bar when it came to combat. If Capcom want to continue the series, then they need to keep meeting and raising that bar. Ninja Theory simply weren't able to with this instalment. Again, combat that's 'not bad' has no place in the DMC series, as combat is the one thing it has over practically every other game that isn't Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden. If Ninja Theory weren't prepared to meet and exceed those standards, then they shouldn't have agreed to meet the game.

Sounds harsh, but there you go. When you're dealing with something like combat in a Devil May Cry game, you need to put on your big boy pants and bring your absolute A game, otherwise you're only going to be causing a downward trend for the series.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
I don't buy this. Sorry, but I don't.

Sequels are never a necessary thing. If a developer or publisher is choosing to make a sequel to a game, then they need to validate that somehow. Barring 2 once again, DMC3 and 4 justified their existence by taking the combat of the original, its most notable and innovative feature, and ramping it up to frankly incredible levels.

This new game has seemingly failed to do so. And I'm not going to go easy on it just because there are better games out there. The fact that there are better games like Bayonetta is all the reason to get critical on this reboot. By giving this game the title DmC, Capcom invited us to actively compare it to the previous games in the series, games that stood as some of the absolute best the genre had to offer. If Platinum could make a 60fps, visually beautiful, ridiculously deep fighter with Bayonetta, then there simply isn't any reason Capcom couldn't do the same. The new game fails to live up to that standard, as well as the standard set by previous games, and therefore I'm going to criticise it as such.

This isn't just some DMC-specific thing. Any sequel which fails to add or improve anything from its previous iterations, I'll criticise the same. I think Halo 4 is by far the weakest in the series, given that it has next to no new gameplay additions, and several mechanic removals compared to previous games. I think the COD series has been getting stale for years, and there was no reason for MW2 or anything beyond to be made, except to make Activision extra money. Team Ninja utterly shit the bed with Ninja Gaiden 3, and how in comparison it pales to Black and 2.

DMC3 and 4 set the bar when it came to combat. If Capcom want to continue the series, then they need to keep meeting and raising that bar. Ninja Theory simply weren't able to with this instalment. Again, combat that's 'not bad' has no place in the DMC series, as combat is the one thing it has over practically every other game that isn't Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden. If Ninja Theory weren't prepared to meet and exceed those standards, then they shouldn't have agreed to meet the game.

Sounds harsh, but there you go. When you're dealing with something like combat in a Devil May Cry game, you need to put on your big boy pants and bring your absolute A game, otherwise you're only going to be causing a downward trend for the series.

Well I suppose that's that.

I honestly can't see the justification in taking a games name or it's legacy and using that to belittle the efforts of a group of people who possibly don't even know or care about the standard they're being judged by... in the end they're just a bunch of hard working people trying to make their game the way they want it... A game I personally thought was a damn lot of fun and one which seems to have been pretty well recieved by critics thus far... Soley on it's OWN merits and not those of the games that came before it.

King Billi:

Hazy:

Oh, I have many. Allow me to count the ways:

1) The dialogue is atrocious. It is the absolute worst I have seen in generations. One boss fight is started by tossing "Fuck You" back and forth like the two share Tourettes syndrome. And let's not forget these juicy bits:
"YOU DISGUSTING FUCKCHILD
"Me, a god. Versus you! A piece of shit!"
"You are dead, just like your whore mother"

2) Difficulty is effectively gone. The game used to push you to your limits, and it would excel at that. It was extremely tough, but rewarding at the same time. Getting an SSS rating was difficult to not only achieve, but to maintain. Higher levels do not change this in the new title, it's still easy. It merely changes the spawn setup of enemies and their damage output. Nothing gets faster or harder, nothing pushes you to ever play this game again for a challenge. You're never convinced to master the controls or ever get better past beating the last boss.

3) The game runs at 30 FPS (as opposed to the 60 fps standard of most action games, including previous installments). At times, it even struggles with this, despite the limited amount of actual enemies on-screen.

4) The "style" system itself has been changed. It's now based on damage done, which means you can use the exact same attack to bump yourself up to SSS rating - something that isn't even remotely difficult given that enemies rarely fight back.

5) Combat now focuses on two things:
The first, is grappling: there are demon and angel pulls, one pulling them to you, the other pulling you to them.

This leads me to the second point: aerial combat. It's easy to do, easy to uphold, and nearly every enemies is helpless once you're in the air as they cannot actually hit you.

Let's recap: it's slower that it's ever been. It's clunky, and shallow, and the rest of the game insists it's Mario Galaxy.

Oh, but we're not done yet:

6) Bosses are ridiculously easy. Where bosses were meant to force the player to think of their feet, the ones in this game force you to repeat the same monotonous movements time and time again to kill them. This isn't Devil May Cry material... it's The Legend of Zelda. They are also constantly interrupted by cutscenes, which serve to break the flow of combat.

7) The game forces you to use specific weapons for specific enemies. You're no longer allowed to overcome challenges as you saw fit. Blue-tinted enemies require the angel arsenal, and red-tinted enemies require the demon.

8) It is absolutely crass and tasteless. This is the material concocted by a thirteen year old adolescent who is trying to prove how rebellious and uncompromising he is. I think this speaks for itself.

9) The change in Dante. Dante is an absolutely abhorrent bastardization of what once was a fun, zany, and very likeable character. And no amount of hair dye will fix that.

Hopefully you can understand why fans are upset. Everything we used to love about the game has now been ripped out. Worse, if this game takes off it's unlikely we'll see the character we've loved again. Likewise, if this game flops, that's probably it for the DMC series. That sounds dramatic, but consider that the new Dante has usurped the old one in the Playstation All Stars Battle Royale title, an amalgamation of the biggest Sony mascots, and he replaced the one that defined an entire genre.

"How DARE you complain that we're destroying your franchise!" - You

Critical response, huh? Those the same critics that herald the new Call of Dutys with 9s across the board, despite the fact that everyone knows it's the same old shit?

You want to talk about critical response? Let's talk about commercial response. Take a look at any of those videos I just posted to witness the outpour of fans as frustrated as I am that their franchise has been turned to shit.

Hazy:
Oh, I have many. Allow me to count the ways:

1) The dialogue is atrocious. It is the absolute worst I have seen in generations. One boss fight is started by tossing "Fuck You" back and forth like the two share Tourettes syndrome. And let's not forget these juicy bits:

2) Difficulty is effectively gone. The game used to push you to your limits, and it would excel at that. It was extremely tough, but rewarding at the same time. Getting an SSS rating was difficult to not only achieve, but to maintain. Higher levels do not change this in the new title, it's still easy. It merely changes the spawn setup of enemies and their damage output. Nothing gets faster or harder, nothing pushes you to ever play this game again for a challenge. You're never convinced to master the controls or ever get better past beating the last boss.

3) The game runs at 30 FPS (as opposed to the 60 fps standard of most action games, including previous installments). At times, it even struggles with this, despite the limited amount of actual enemies on-screen.

4) The "style" system itself has been changed. It's now based on damage done, which means you can use the exact same attack to bump yourself up to SSS rating - something that isn't even remotely difficult given that enemies rarely fight back.

5) Combat now focuses on two things:
The first, is grappling: there are demon and angel pulls, one pulling them to you, the other pulling you to them.

This leads me to the second point: aerial combat. It's easy to do, easy to uphold, and nearly every enemies is helpless once you're in the air as they cannot actually hit you.

Let's recap: it's slower that it's ever been. It's clunky, and shallow, and the rest of the game insists it's Mario Galaxy.

Oh, but we're not done yet:

6) Bosses are ridiculously easy. Where bosses were meant to force the player to think of their feet, the ones in this game force you to repeat the same monotonous movements time and time again to kill them. This isn't Devil May Cry material... it's The Legend of Zelda. They are also constantly interrupted by cutscenes, which serve to break the flow of combat.

7) The game forces you to use specific weapons for specific enemies. You're no longer allowed to overcome challenges as you saw fit.

8) It is absolutely crass and tasteless. This is the material concocted by a thirteen year old adolescent who is trying to prove how rebellious and uncompromising he is. I think this speaks for itself.

9) The change in Dante. Dante is an absolutely abhorrent bastardization of what once was a fun, zany, and very likeable character. And no amount of hair dye will fix that.

Hopefully you can understand why fans are upset. Everything we used to love about the game has now been ripped out. Worse, if this game takes off it's unlikely we'll see the character we've loved again. Likewise, if this game flops, that's probably it for the DMC series. That sounds dramatic, but consider that the new Dante has usurped the old one in the Playstation All Stars Battle Royale title, an amalgamation of the biggest Sony mascots, and he replaced the one that defined an entire genre.

"How DARE you complain that we're destroying your franchise!" - You

Critical response, huh? Those the same critics that herald the new Call of Dutys with 9s across the board, despite the fact that everyone knows it's the same old shit?

You want to talk about critical response? Let's talk about commercial response. Take a look at any of those videos I just posted to witness the out pour of fans as frustrated as I am that their franchise has gone to shit. This is a slap in the face to everyone who experienced and loved the originals.

These are legitimate criticisms from someone who so clearly loves this series and I can certainly respect your postion now that I know the specifics of your complaints, you obviously care for this whole series more than I do.

The main issue I take with alot of the other criticisms I've heard is that they have take it personally and make out that Ninja Theory hates them and is trying to destory their beloved franchise.
Now all the changes made by Ninja Theory in DmC seem to me to be trying to distance this game as far as possible from the style and setting of its previous titles and I don't think this is intended to be insulting or dismissive of the older games as alot of people seem to make out. It seems more to me that Ninja Theory want this game to be uniquely their own and not have to be judged soley upon the reputation of it's precursers, if you get what I mean?

I actually like this game, I think it's alot of fun and it looks cool. I really can't argue with any of your issues with the story because I'd be lying if I said it wasn't horrid and tasteless in parts, is just that to me the whole thing was far too over the top and ridiculous for me to ever take it seriously or be offended by it... The same goes for new Dante.

I'll finish by saying that while I still like DmC I can certainly understand now why alot of the fans are upset by it(You've probably noticed I've gotten alot of other responses to my initial comment besides yours)

For what it's worth I actually do hope for you and other classic fans that "true" Dante may yet return in some form in the future..? Perhaps if Play Station All Stars Battle Royale ever gets a sequel it will include "Classic Dante" and New Dante will finally be able to have the crap kicked out of him by vengeful fans all over the world?

King Billi:

Well I suppose that's that.

I honestly can't see the justification in taking a games name or it's legacy and using that to belittle the efforts of a group of people who possibly don't even know or care about the standard they're being judged by...

Why the hell not? Any developer who's taking on the Devil May Cry mantle should know damn well what standard they're being judged by. If Ninja Theory honestly didn't know or understand that they'd be getting compared to the likes of DMC3, then who the hell can you expect them to understand how to make a game that matches it?

in the end they're just a bunch of hard working people trying to make their game the way they want it...

How hard they did or didn't work is irrelevant. People aren't criticising the effort they put into development, only the end result itself. By all accounts, Uwe Boll puts a lot of effort into his films, but they're still turds down to the last one.

A game I personally thought was a damn lot of fun and one which seems to have been pretty well recieved by critics thus far... Soley on it's OWN merits and not those of the games that came before it.

On it's own merits, it's a decent hack-and-slash, but far from anything special this generation. It's utterly outclassed by the likes of Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden 2.

When your game is a sequel, however, you don't get to judge it purely on its own merits. Invisible War, on its own merits was a pretty good game, but it was a damn terrible sequel to Deus Ex. If Capcom wanted this game to stand on its own and not be judged to others in a series, they should have made it an original game. By making it an entry in the DMC series, they invited comparison to the earlier games. Because, as I already stated, it is only by comparing to what came before that you know if a sequel is worth something on its own or not. On its own, Halo 4 is a pretty decent shooter, but compared to what came before, it's utterly lacklustre. On its own Modern Warfare 3 is a functionally fine shooter, but compared to the original Modern Warfare, it has nothing new or innovative to offer the genre. On its own, the Godfather 3 is a pretty good Gangster film, but compared to the preceding two, it's something of a let-down.

That's how these things go. If a sequel can't maintain the high standard of its predecessors, then it has no business being made at the expense of more original game ideas.

And the majority of critics seem to have missed the point, praising the new DMC as they are for its easy to get into combat. Devil May Cry was never meant to be easy to get into. It was always supposed to be a 'hardcore' experience, akin to something like Dark Souls for the previous gen. You get your ass handed to you, you learn how to use the ins and outs of the combat engine, you slowly start to legitimately kick ass. Giving a sequel plus points for dumbing down that factor is just another aspect of everything that's going wrong this generation.

Honest Opinion? I've played the game through twice on Nephelim and SoS, currently on Dante must Die. Here are my thoughts on the game. And man do I have a lot to say about it, so incoming wall o' text.

Anyway. As a huge fan of the entire series, I'm not one that wanted to bury this game before it even came out. I was genuinely looking forward to see what Ninja Theory could do with it, and I wanted it to be good.
My closing thoughts on this game are: It's not bad. In some ways, it's pretty good. But falls incredibly short of the usual gameplay standards of a real DMC game. And gameplay is paramount to any DMC game. Due to the undoubtedly lower quality of combat, I deem this to be an undoubtedly lower-quality DMC game.

A fairly stimulating action game. Incredibly underwhelming Devil May Cry game. I am quite confused over the praise the game has been getting. Because even taken on it's own, it has A LOT of problems. The action struggles to go beyond tepid, and frequently approaches tedious and unfun.

King Billi:
These are legitimate criticisms from someone who so clearly loves this series and I can certainly respect your postion now that I know the specifics of your complaints, you obviously care for this whole series more than I do.

The main issue I take with alot of the other criticisms I've heard is that they have take it personally and make out that Ninja Theory hates them and is trying to destory their beloved franchise.
Now all the changes made by Ninja Theory in DmC seem to me to be trying to distance this game as far as possible from the style and setting of its previous titles and I don't think this is intended to be insulting or dismissive of the older games as alot of people seem to make out. It seems more to me that Ninja Theory want this game to be uniquely their own and not have to be judged soley upon the reputation of it's precursers, if you get what I mean?

I actually like this game, I think it's alot of fun and it looks cool. I really can't argue with any of your issues with the story because I'd be lying if I said it wasn't horrid and tasteless in parts, is just that to me the whole thing was far too over the top and ridiculous for me to ever take it seriously or be offended by it... The same goes for new Dante.

I'll finish by saying that while I still like DmC I can certainly understand now why alot of the fans are upset by it(You've probably noticed I've gotten alot of other responses to my initial comment besides yours)

For what it's worth I actually do hope for you and other classic fans that "true" Dante may yet return in some form in the future..? Perhaps if Play Station All Stars Battle Royale ever gets a sequel it will include "Classic Dante" and New Dante will finally be able to have the crap kicked out of him by vengeful fans all over the world?

I completely feel you. Some people like apples, some like oranges. I wish we could live in a world where everyone got what they wanted.

Hazy:

King Billi:

I completely feel you. Some people like apples, some like oranges. I wish we could live in a world where everyone got what they wanted.

That would be a boring world. But, I'll just go ahead and post this.
These are things that are said in opposition to the "haters" for the most part.

I played the demo by now and watched a playthrough of the game and from what i've seen the game seems generally unpolished and has many glitches that should have been caught.

See also this post of mine:

lapan:

This guy put it best. Sadly little other reviewers seem to take a look at the story at all.

Some of the cons:

GrimHeaper:
That would be a boring world. But, I'll just go ahead and post this.
These are things that are said in opposition to the "haters" for the most part.

So what exactly is this little comparison supposed to prove? Total Recall was a very decent film in my opinion and I couldn't care less that it was a reboot of another supposedly "classic" film I can enjoy both of them for completely different reasons, much the same way I can enjoy DmC.

I will be very short:
I don't really care. I don't like the new look of Dante and the inside joke the developers put for the white long hair Dante had in the previews games is stupid.....because in reality he look more good with this type of hairs!

Did they really made this joke even we can see clearly, the old look is SUPERIOR even here?

Also, I didn't play it, but I watched all the cutscenes.The story was a......."eee". Just a blant ok.

Only person that likes the new Dante checking in.

DmC now actually also looks like it has a story [whether it is good or not is another matter] the previous ones, from what i remember had a story in the background, but it was nothing anybody gave a shit about and existed just for the sake of driving the game on.

plus, im not a fan of anime cliche characters. So the old dante was meh to me.

kazann:

Only? I doubt that - I can't really dislike a look that I myself have (oh gosh, he has a decent haircut!!! what an emo!).

On Topic: I watched the Angry Joe review and to be honest: I look forward to this game (it releases in 2 days). Playing a decent and fluid fighter with 60-100 fps and really good graphics is something I don't do that regular (due to the shitty nature of those games not being released on my platform of choice).

Edit: I also watched cutscenes. I prefer those in contrast to what I've seen from the DMC series so far.

TheKasp:

kazann:

Only? I doubt that - I can't really dislike a look that I myself have (oh gosh, he has a decent haircut!!! what an emo!).

It's not the look that i dislike, it's his unlikeable personality. It's as if they mistook "badass" for "asshole" while coming up with him. It's not a good sign if the atagonist of the game is more relateable and likeable than the protagonist (apart from the heart eating maybe).

Hazy:

You.

With that little piece of your post, you singelhandly convinced me that I *NEED* to whatch some videos of this game NOW.

I LOVE that kind of stuff!!! :)

Great game. I can understand that not everyone likes it and why old school fans may not, although saying that I've bought every DMC game on release since the first one so I guess I am a old school fan. But seriously, it's not new, we've known about it since 2010 now, all the hate is just pathetic, move on. This game isn't evil and it's not the cause of all the worlds ills, but the way some people are acting it's as if NT and DmC came round to their house and stamped on all their toys.

Bitter Hobbit:
Great game. I can understand that not everyone likes it and why old school fans may not, although saying that I've bought every DMC game on release since the first one so I guess I am a old school fan. But seriously, it's not new, we've known about it since 2010 now, all the hate is just pathetic, move on. This game isn't evil and it's not the cause of all the worlds ills, but the way some people are acting it's as if NT and DmC came round to their house and stamped on all their toys.

Anddddd I finally looked thougt a few videos of this epic game with equally epic gameplay such as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuj05upk73I

As someone who has never/barely played (I did play the first three levels or so of DMC3) the DMC series, this is just WOW. Epic battle, I had no clue who was going to win until the end.

Oh god. I need MORE VIDEOS ABOUT THIS GAME

Dark wolverine:

The story is laughable at best. That's just what the world wanted, an angsty stupid emo tween version of the beloved classic.

BurnedOutMyEyes:
But I want the old super flamboyant Dante back! He was stupid and different and kinda weirdly endearing!
This guy's just a boring emo fuck.

OK, genuine ire at this, how exactly is new Dante emo? Because whenever I hear that bullshit attempt to knock the new design, dialogue, hairstyle all I hear is "I should have been the one to fill your dark soul with LIIIIIIIIGGGHHHHHHTT"

Its a game about how a white haired man in a redcoat can cry, fucking get over yourselves!

OT: I actually played it, combat is good (but too easy), platforming is no longer 20 foot vertical leap you figure out the rest and there is an actual plot rather than 'Dante turns up somewhere and fights things' so, y'know... it isn't DMC 2.

Geezus, I actually liked the old Dante but whenever someone calls the new one emo I retroactively want to punch the original in every game for starting this...

aguspal:

Bitter Hobbit:

Anddddd I finally looked thougt a few videos of this epic game with equally epic gameplay such as this:

Oh golly, he found a glitch!

Though the music has to become ingame music...

TheKasp:

aguspal:

Bitter Hobbit:

Oh golly, he found a glitch!

Though the music has to become ingame music...

A rather terrible semi game-breaking one at that. Especially since, for what I heard about the series anyways, the bosses are one of the best parts of those kind of games.

Still I rather prefer to be somewhat neutral. But even then I can see the faults this game has... but I dont care, its HILARIOUS.

aguspal:

As someone who has never/barely played (I did play the first three levels or so of DMC3) the DMC series, this is just WOW. Epic battle, I had no clue who was going to win until the end.

Oh god. I need MORE VIDEOS ABOUT THIS GAME

That reminds me. During my time playing the game, I encounter all kinds of occasional bugs with enemies.

Some get stuck in the environment.
Some freeze altogether, this seems to happen to the fat-baby enemies the most. But it's happened at least once with every enemy I encounter.
Teleporting enemies who get caught in teleporting loops (happens a lot when I knock them off the level)
Some seem to forget they're in the middle of a fight and stand around doing nothing.
And a rare glitch I've had involves knocking enemies off the levels, who vanish into the void without dying and leaving me unable to exit the area I'm in.

I wish I was recording a video in one instance when I activated Devil Trigger (which sends every enemy up into the air) and launched one of those big saw golems upwards, and then got stuck inside an awning. His weakpoint was facing towards the wall and merged into it, making him impossible to kill.

Every time I play, something glitches at least once. Most of the time it's harmless, but it still makes me facepalm. It's embarrassing.

Is "the game looks great" a big selling point still? Games look better and better with each year. You might bring up graphics in a review if they're inordinately bad but if they're good that's more or less to be expected, technological advances considered. There's a steady trend towards realism in both lightning and overall design in this kind of games. So, graphics/visuals I could care less for. They never made a bad game good.

Johnny Novgorod:
Is "the game looks great" a big selling point still? Games look better and better with each year. You might bring up graphics in a review if they're inordinately bad but if they're good that's more or less to be expected, technological advances considered. There's a steady trend towards realism in both lightning and overall design in this kind of games. So, graphics/visuals I could care less for. They never made a bad game good.

I wouldn't say it should be a selling point but I do personally appreciate a certain level of care and imagination when it comes to a games graphics and overall design. If a game has a keen attention to detail and goes beyond merely using aesthetics that are functional in order to create something wholly unique and interesting then I feel some degree of acknowledgement is deserved.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked