DmC: Devil May Cry - Honest Opinions

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

CaptainMarvelous:

Dark wolverine:

The story is laughable at best. That's just what the world wanted, an angsty stupid emo tween version of the beloved classic.

BurnedOutMyEyes:
But I want the old super flamboyant Dante back! He was stupid and different and kinda weirdly endearing!
This guy's just a boring emo fuck.

OK, genuine ire at this, how exactly is new Dante emo? Because whenever I hear that bullshit attempt to knock the new design, dialogue, hairstyle all I hear is "I should have been the one to fill your dark soul with LIIIIIIIIGGGHHHHHHTT"

Its a game about how a white haired man in a redcoat can cry, fucking get over yourselves!

OT: I actually played it, combat is good (but too easy), platforming is no longer 20 foot vertical leap you figure out the rest and there is an actual plot rather than 'Dante turns up somewhere and fights things' so, y'know... it isn't DMC 2.

Geezus, I actually liked the old Dante but whenever someone calls the new one emo I retroactively want to punch the original in every game for starting this...

He may not be emo but he's still a self-involved, mean-spirited, witless douchebag. Seriously, when your hero is completely insufferable you've failed as a writer

Personally, when it comes to a hack and slash:

I don't care about the story
I don't care about character "arcs"
I don't mind what the character looks like, especially the colour of their hair
All that matters is the gameplay...

Ninja gaiden 3 bombed big time, be thankful it's nowhere near that bad.
DMC looks passable fun
Bayonetta 2 is going on the wiiU......
MGS rising still look promising

I'll wait and see what MGS is like, if not I'll get it off ebay.

Aiddon:
He may not be emo but he's still a self-involved, mean-spirited, witless douchebag. Seriously, when your hero is completely insufferable you've failed as a writer

He is a douchebag. Immature douchebag. Old Dante is a fun guy. Someone you could hang out with and have a beer. He may not be very mature either, but he is charismatic. Charisma is important. This Dante is a fuckin' 4chan douchebag with 0 charisma.

aguspal:
A rather terrible semi game-breaking one at that. Especially since, for what I heard about the series anyways, the bosses are one of the best parts of those kind of games.

Still I rather prefer to be somewhat neutral. But even then I can see the faults this game has... but I dont care, its HILARIOUS.

There are plenty more bugs than that.

King Billi:

These are legitimate criticisms from someone who so clearly loves this series and I can certainly respect your postion now that I know the specifics of your complaints, you obviously care for this whole series more than I do.

The main issue I take with alot of the other criticisms I've heard is that they have take it personally and make out that Ninja Theory hates them and is trying to destroy their beloved franchise.

Do you hear that form DMC fans or from the media saying that's what the DMC fans think? All the DMC fans I know are trying to say why they don't like it but are blown off as haters who don't like his hair even when they give reasons. If you did encounter one of the people who hate them for his hair, every fanbase has their bad apples and please do not think the rest of the fans are like that.

Part of the hate towards Ninja theory is the fact Tameem is acting like a dick to them and insulting the old Dante and is completely full of himself. This is how he response to a tiny bit or criticism https://twitter.com/superninjatam/status/270958085982523396 I want to clarify I'm not justifying the DMC fans hate towards them, I'm just saying why it exists.

As a fan of Devil May Cry I can tell you all that hatred towards this abomination has nothing to do with Dante's hair color. If this was a true prequel and they wanted to make Dante still have some type of Devil Trigger before actually awakening his demonic powers, then making him have a default black hair at some point in his life is not a bad idea. However, breaking the lore and characters as much as they did is worthy of hatred. I don't want to see a sequel to this piece of shit. I want to see a sequel to DMC 4.
This game should be treated as an isolated incident.

lapan:

TheKasp:

kazann:
Only person that likes the new Dante checking in.

Only? I doubt that - I can't really dislike a look that I myself have (oh gosh, he has a decent haircut!!! what an emo!).

It's not the look that i dislike, it's his unlikeable personality. It's as if they mistook "badass" for "asshole" while coming up with him. It's not a good sign if the atagonist of the game is more relateable and likeable than the protagonist (apart from the heart eating maybe).

Asshole sounds like fun, really. I like his "unlikeable" personality for some reason... Maybe because im not a huge dmc fan and can see that the series is actually rather a shallow hack and slash game...

TehCookie:

King Billi:

These are legitimate criticisms from someone who so clearly loves this series and I can certainly respect your postion now that I know the specifics of your complaints, you obviously care for this whole series more than I do.

The main issue I take with alot of the other criticisms I've heard is that they have take it personally and make out that Ninja Theory hates them and is trying to destroy their beloved franchise.

Do you hear that form DMC fans or from the media saying that's what the DMC fans think? All the DMC fans I know are trying to say why they don't like it but are blown off as haters who don't like his hair even when they give reasons. If you did encounter one of the people who hate them for his hair, every fanbase has their bad apples and please do not think the rest of the fans are like that.

Part of the hate towards Ninja theory is the fact Tameem is acting like a dick to them and insulting the old Dante and is completely full of himself. This is how he response to a tiny bit or criticism https://twitter.com/superninjatam/status/270958085982523396 I want to clarify I'm not justifying the DMC fans hate towards them, I'm just saying why it exists.

I've read alot of criticisms recently on this very thread from very intelligent, reasonable people and I can certainly respect their opinion and understand their issues with this game, but it doesn't change the fact that the loudest voices out there right now appear to be coming from the "bad apples" who have nothing constructive to offer besides pure contempt and derision.

To me DmC is a perfectly decent game and alot of fun to play and I don't feel that the original games are in any way degraded by this games existence, I mean come on... "New Dante" and "True Dante" couldn't ever be mistaken for being the same person could they? In fact the whole design and tone of DmC has been so far removed from what the original series was that the only thing they have in common now is the name... And in my opinion there's nothing in a name... even one as revered as Devil May Cry.

TehCookie:

aguspal:
A rather terrible semi game-breaking one at that. Especially since, for what I heard about the series anyways, the bosses are one of the best parts of those kind of games.

Still I rather prefer to be somewhat neutral. But even then I can see the faults this game has... but I dont care, its HILARIOUS.

There are plenty more bugs than that.

OMFG.

Thank you :D I will watch them tomorrow thougt because bed is calling me :(

King Billi:

I've read alot of criticisms recently on this very thread from very intelligent, reasonable people and I can certainly respect their opinion and understand their issues with this game, but it doesn't change the fact that the loudest voices out there right now appear to be coming from the "bad apples" who have nothing constructive to offer besides pure contempt and derision.

Hating the game doesn't make one a bad apple as long as they have reasons. The thing is legitimate complaints are being written off by DmC fans as a "You don't like the hair!" Next time pay attention to some of the haters and see if it's blind hate or educated hate. There are a lot of stupid people in the world and I don't know where you go so it very well could be blind hate, but don't write it off all hate like that.

Since I don't go to other news sites much did any of the DMC fans there mention Operation Crazy? Where the old fans are trying to boost the sales of the HD collection to let Capcom know that is what they want instead of the reboot (Look at the top 100 games on Amazon, DMCHD is above DmC. Actually when I just checked DmC is no longer on the list but DMCHD still it.)

I picked up the new DmC on release day. I managed to beat the game in a couple of sittings. I really enjoyed it and found the combat really fun and I would like to see where Ninja Theory takes the story next. That is assuming a sequel happens.

kazann:

lapan:

TheKasp:

Only? I doubt that - I can't really dislike a look that I myself have (oh gosh, he has a decent haircut!!! what an emo!).

It's not the look that i dislike, it's his unlikeable personality. It's as if they mistook "badass" for "asshole" while coming up with him. It's not a good sign if the atagonist of the game is more relateable and likeable than the protagonist (apart from the heart eating maybe).

Asshole sounds like fun, really. I like his "unlikeable" personality for some reason... Maybe because im not a huge dmc fan and can see that the series is actually rather a shallow hack and slash game...

For me personally he crosses several lines, but I guess different people have different tastes.

Meanwhile Mundus is keeping world peace and is overall less of an asshole.

Adam Jensen:

Aiddon:

He is a douchebag. Immature douchebag. Old Dante is a fun guy. Someone you could hang out with and have a beer. He may not be very mature either, but he is charismatic. Charisma is important. This Dante is a fuckin' 4chan douchebag with 0 charisma.

Right, so fun story, I have a number of friends who use the exact words you just did to describe the old Dante, mostly going off the Devil May Cry 3/4 openings. Commanding two sentient swords not to talk for the rest of their existence(assuming he doesn't chuck them?) Mean-spirited Douchebag. Refusing to explain WHY he just stabbed a guy in the chest and instead fighting a guy trying to do the right thing? Self involved douchebag. You can dislike new dante for that reason but it's disingenuous when the old one wasn't miles better

From how the game plays out (because you've not played it, I imagine), it has the pleasent bonus of a love interest who ISN'T a genetic clone of his mother and who he priorities over killing Mundus, he actually has a minor dilemma about straight up killing his own brother and appears to have a motivation to fight the demons other than cos it's awesome. And he doesn't cry or get impaled on his sword. Always a plus.

lapan:

For me personally he crosses several lines, but I guess different people have different tastes.

Meanwhile Mundus is keeping world peace and is overall less of an asshole.

Yeah, but given most of the f*ck up is because Vergil isn't really doing the right thing, I wouldn't call it Dante being an asshole.

TehCookie:
Since I don't go to other news sites much did any of the DMC fans there mention Operation Crazy? Where the old fans are trying to boost the sales of the HD collection to let Capcom know that is what they want instead of the reboot (Look at the top 100 games on Amazon, DMCHD is above DmC. Actually when I just checked DmC is no longer on the list but DMCHD still it.)

I've never heard of this before now but it sounds great! I honestly hope this can get the fans point across to Capcom or whoever... It's always better to show support and admiration for the things you love then obsess over what you hate.

I just remember when I could do awesome stuff like these commonly. The old ones had such a seamless style to them.

This game just feels like it's trying way too hard to be cool. It kind of reminds me of that 14 year old who draws swastikas on his desk, purposely tries to laugh as loud as he can when someone dies in a movie or something, and makes sure to say the opposite opinion of whoever is in earshot.

You knew those kinds of kids. We all did.

The_Scrivener:

StarStruckStrumpets:

The_Scrivener:
The thing is, it doesn't matter what the rest of the game is like because they've turned Dante from an interesting, confident, unique badass into the persona of the worst kind of gamers. It pains me to think this is what gaming companies think players relate to. It scares me more that they're partially right.

Dante looks and acts like a self-entitled homeroom cut-up. I'm surprised his special attacks don't involve him fondling cheerleaders at parties against their will and trying to sneak into movies without being caught.

I'd rather actually play a game where the protagonist is a literal log of feces than endure the sexist, masochistic garbage that is this reboot.

This is what confuses me about fan reaction to the game. The only game where Dante has had any kind of character arc was the first. We learned more about him and he showed some kind of emotion. In 2, he was a miserable and silent "badass" all the way through. In 3 all Dante needed to get was his Devil Trigger. Apart from that, he remained the same cocky yet entertaining person throughout. 4 was all over the place, I think by then Capcom had actually started to use him as a parody of himself.

At least in this iteration he has grounded reasons for living the way he lives and changes gradually as he finds himself to be accepted by his brother and human friend.

I'm not a fan of the games so if my reaction is the same as the 'fan' reaction then it is merely coincidental shared viewpoint.

I don't know the rules on posting links, but in this instance, it is the fastest way to prove my point.

http://www.gamewallpapers.com/previews_480x300/wallpaper_dmc_devil_may_cry_02.jpg

That horse shit is everything wrong with gaming "culture" today and dumb rebooted Dante is right there in the middle of it. I don't want any part of this hypermasculinized crap trash. Regardless of the arc old Dante had, he wasn't conceived as a foul-mouthed high school hard-on jughead. We need characters like Jade from Beyond Good and Evil. We need characters like Lee and Clementine. We need characters that don't set gaming back a year every time they open their mouths for a line of dimwitted dialogue.

So, your point is that we don't need any Devil May Cry at all, because the other ones were not much better:
http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/588/588735/devil-may-cry-3-dantes-awakening-20050217061802396-000.jpg
http://fotos.subefotos.com/1783f4ba0067a549cd5ee34546c1a26fo.jpg

Got it.

RadioactiveMicrobe:
I just remember when I could do awesome stuff like these commonly. The old ones had such a seamless style to them.

This game just feels like it's trying way too hard to be cool. It kind of reminds me of that 14 year old who draws swastikas on his desk, purposely tries to laugh as loud as he can when someone dies in a movie or something, and makes sure to say the opposite opinion of whoever is in earshot.

That is kind of funny, because that was exactly what I thought every time Dante opened his mouth in any cutscene in DMC 3: "These guys is trying too hard to make it look cool"; although not in the same way. Whether new Dante is "hipster cool", old Dante was "90s cool".

King Billi:
I'm really glad I'm not a fan of Devil May Cry... Cause I really wouldn't want to be associated in any way with the people out there bitching about this new game and all its supposed sins... The behavior of some of the "fans" really has been far FAR worse than anything I've seen from Ninja Theory.

Seriously people, amend your attitude.

Being a fan of the originals who could not give a flying fuck about the reboot, i have to say some reactions are well justified in that the director (Taneem or something, i forget) of ninja theory did quite literally call us "whiny, entitled morons who should get over it" when we said that the new dante looks more like a drug addict than a half-demon badass

TehCookie:

Well I think I spent more time on this than I needed too, but if I missed anything feel free to say so.

Don't hold back Cookie, tell us how you really feel?

Rawne1980:

TehCookie:

Well I think I spent more time on this than I needed too, but if I missed anything feel free to say so.

Don't hold back Cookie, tell us how you really feel?

All I feel is rage.

Oh and since some people here never heard of Operation Crazy here's the layout:
Row row, fight da powa! #THE DEMONS ARE COMING

TehCookie:
snip

*opens Steam - preorders DMC*

FIGHT DA POWA!!!

I really want to see this game succeed. Just so that this fanoutrage continues!

TheKasp:

TehCookie:
snip

*opens Steam - preorders DMC*

FIGHT DA POWA!!!

I really want to see this game succeed. Just so that this fanoutrage continues!

DMC? I thought it showed in the image greenmangaming was cheaper.

If you mean DmC, why am I mad you wasted $50?

llew:

King Billi:
I'm really glad I'm not a fan of Devil May Cry... Cause I really wouldn't want to be associated in any way with the people out there bitching about this new game and all its supposed sins... The behavior of some of the "fans" really has been far FAR worse than anything I've seen from Ninja Theory.

Being a fan of the originals who could not give a flying fuck about the reboot, i have to say some reactions are well justified in that the director (Taneem or something, i forget) of ninja theory did quite literally call us "whiny, entitled morons who should get over it" when we said that the new dante looks more like a drug addict than a half-demon badass

Yeah I have heard that... I was even given a link to mister Antoniade's Twitter account to see an example of it and I've got to say after looking over a fair amount of his tweets I'm even less convinced that these reactions are justified... All I saw was a man who has a great deal of pride and respect in what he has created, is generally polite to those who aren't insulting or threatening him and who dosen't take any crap from "fans" who attack him personally with excessively hateful comments and threats(of which I read several!)

All I really have left to say is that those who do legitimately hate DmC and seriously wish for it to go away should direct their attention to the aforementioned "Operation Crazy" and support that, get behind what you actually love and contribute to something positive instead of fueling the hate.

TehCookie:

I mean the new DmC, that is going to release tomorrow in my area. And I did not waste a single dollar - because I don't pay in dollars! *bwahahaha*

Nah, I find this game actually appealing unlike the previous ones - I find it hard to find fun in games where 'important' part of the series are not on my platform of choice. Now I stand before DmC that is actually best on PC (no FPS limit for example), characterdesign I find more appealing and visuals that seem to look really good... Why not get it?

llew:

I would really like to see the source of this 'literal' quote.

hermes200:

RadioactiveMicrobe:

That is kind of funny, because that was exactly what I thought every time Dante opened his mouth in any cutscene in DMC 3: "These guys is trying too hard to make it look cool"; although not in the same way. Whether new Dante is "hipster cool", old Dante was "90s cool".

No, Nu-Dante is the definition of 90s cool. Mean-spirited, sweary, grungy, "gritty", and tries to be cool but comes off as an insecure douchebag. Dante actually had more in common with a 70s rockstar; he was flamboyant, over-the-top, charismatic, and had a sense of humor.

The_Scrivener:
The thing is, it doesn't matter what the rest of the game is like because they've turned Dante from an interesting, confident, unique badass into the persona of the worst kind of gamers. It pains me to think this is what gaming companies think players relate to. It scares me more that they're partially right.

Yeah, right, because his previous handsome, athlete, unstoppable badass super warrior persona was SO MUCH MORE relatable.

Adam Jensen:
Bottom line is, this game isn't worth $60, and Ninja Theory should have known that. When you're developing a new game in a well known series, your primary concern should be "will this satisfy our existing fanbase".

What the fuck were these guys thinking?

Dev #1: "Hey guys, let's make a new Devil May Cry game, just like the previous ones!"
Dev #2: "Umm, if we do that, the fans will just accuse us of rehashing the same game. We don't want to be Call of Duty, do we?"
Dev #1: "Alright, how about we redesign the character a bit and try to shake things up a little?"
Dev# 2: "Fair enough"

After the fan reaction to the new character design:

Dev #1: "Goddammit, why didn't you warn me about the raving fans? Now we've got to redesign the game and characters!"
Dev #2: "How could I have known? Plus, if we redesign it now, the fans will just complain about how we don't stand by our decisions and call us cowards"
Dev #1: "Okay... so we're fucked either way. Let's just try to roll with this one"
Dev #2: "Fair enough"

I think I've come up with a solution. Supply the game with two different audio tracks, where one has the characters called by their original names and on the other something else. Supply the game with a flippable cover which says something else on the front. Then have the player pick a choice before the game opening screen:
1. Choose to play DMC, a reboot which everyone hates, with a redesigned main character called Dante
2. Choose to play Crazy Pizza Pie adventure, a new hack'n'slash IP from Capcom where a new character called Captain Oregano must fight the armies of heaven and hell with his brother, Lieutenant Olivebranch.

Whichever you pick, the title screen will either say DMC or Crazy Pizza Pie adventure and have the according audio track.

TheKasp:

TehCookie:

I mean the new DmC, that is going to release tomorrow in my area. And I did not waste a single dollar - because I don't pay in dollars! *bwahahaha*

Nah, I find this game actually appealing unlike the previous ones - I find it hard to find fun in games where 'important' part of the series are not on my platform of choice. Now I stand before DmC that is actually best on PC (no FPS limit for example), characterdesign I find more appealing and visuals that seem to look really good... Why not get it?

DMC3 and 4 are on PC, and while 3's port is horrible 4 is better on PC than the consoles. Depending on who you ask which one is better is a back and forth (though a lot say 3 since it's a complete game, those who play for the combat prefer 4 for it's improvements).

Also I already said this in the beginning but unlocking frames doesn't change animations or windows. However being a DmC fan you probably don't care about the gameplay.

TehCookie:

DMC3 and 4 are on PC, and while 3's port is horrible 4 is better on PC than the consoles. Depending on who you ask which one is better is a back and forth (though a lot say 3 since it's a complete game, those who play for the combat prefer 4 for it's improvements).

Also I already said this in the beginning but unlocking frames doesn't change animations or windows. However being a DmC fan you probably don't care about the gameplay.

So you made my point: Entry number 3 and number 4 are ported to the PC... So I don't give a rats ass about the main series.

And yes, I am the fanatic here... Please don't call me that, I have no strong feelings towards DmC and I'm just enjoying all those tears of rage and hate that flow through all this threads. Up until your picture I wouldn't even have picked it up outside of a sale.

TheKasp:

TehCookie:

TheKasp:

I find it hard to find fun in games where 'important' part of the series are not on my platform of choice.

So you made my point: Entry number 3 and number 4 are ported to the PC... So I don't give a rats ass about the main series.

And yes, I am the fanatic here... Please don't call me that, I have no strong feelings towards DmC and I'm just enjoying all those tears of rage and hate that flow through all this threads. Up until your picture I wouldn't even have picked it up outside of a sale.

But DmC isn't avaliable for the Wii either...

You said it wasn't on your platform of choice, when the important games are on PS3, 360 and PC. The only point you proved is you are willing waste money to attempt to make someone angry on the internet. Which is completely silly, but you even did a poor job at that. Anyone can say they preordered it, if you really want to make someone mad post a picture to prove it or claim you're 12 and Donte is mature because he says fuck you and the writing is Shakespearean. Also it's The Escapist, I know people having terrible taste on here.

TheKasp:

DMC 4 isn't a bad game. You should get it on PC. It's probably very cheap now since it was released in 2008. You'll have a lot of fun with it. And the graphics are still sweet. It's a very colorful game. Seriously, go for it. Even if you don't care about the story it's still a good amount of fun for a small amount of money.

Thanks ninja theory for making me save money by destroying good franchises. It wasn't enough by just destroying metroid was it?

danon:
Thanks ninja theory for making me save money by destroying good franchises. It wasn't enough by just destroying metroid was it?

Actually it was Team Ninja that made Other M, not Ninja Theory, Fail. Seriously if you're going to criticize Ninja Theory, at least get your facts right first

TheKasp:

llew:

I would really like to see the source of this 'literal' quote.

it was a long time ago i saw it so i cant be arsed to go find it but he has done several comments like that along the development of DmC

King Billi:

llew:

King Billi:

Yeah I have heard that... I was even given a link to mister Antoniade's Twitter account to see an example of it and I've got to say after looking over a fair amount of his tweets I'm even less convinced that these reactions are justified... All I saw was a man who has a great deal of pride and respect in what he has created, is generally polite to those who aren't insulting or threatening him and who dosen't take any crap from "fans" who attack him personally with excessively hateful comments and threats(of which I read several!)

All I really have left to say is that those who do legitimately hate DmC and seriously wish for it to go away should direct their attention to the aforementioned "Operation Crazy" and support that, get behind what you actually love and contribute to something positive instead of fueling the hate.

already have done my part for OC and am still loving it, if the guy really wanted to win over the fans who disagreed with the new design he shouldnt have been a child and responded by calling all of the fans (yes it was directed at all the fans by my memory) idiots or worse and been a massive cock about where he was taking DmC. The only issue i have with the thing is that it is using the DmC name as a selling point and changed almost everything else (much like dmc 2 did)
also i said SOME reactions were justfied, some were simply outrageous

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked