DmC: Devil May Cry - Honest Opinions

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Kitsune Hunter:

danon:
Thanks ninja theory for making me save money by destroying good franchises. It wasn't enough by just destroying metroid was it?

Actually it was Team Ninja that made Other M, not Ninja Theory, Fail. Seriously if you're going to criticize Ninja Theory, at least get your facts right first

Oops sry about that they have only destroyed 1 franchise each so far.

bartholen:

The_Scrivener:
The thing is, it doesn't matter what the rest of the game is like because they've turned Dante from an interesting, confident, unique badass into the persona of the worst kind of gamers. It pains me to think this is what gaming companies think players relate to. It scares me more that they're partially right.

Yeah, right, because his previous handsome, athlete, unstoppable badass super warrior persona was SO MUCH MORE relatable.

The thing is they didnt try to make Dante A relateable, they just tried to make him cool, badass and cocky, with Dante B they tried to make him relateable and you can see the result

llew:

bartholen:

The_Scrivener:
The thing is, it doesn't matter what the rest of the game is like because they've turned Dante from an interesting, confident, unique badass into the persona of the worst kind of gamers. It pains me to think this is what gaming companies think players relate to. It scares me more that they're partially right.

Yeah, right, because his previous handsome, athlete, unstoppable badass super warrior persona was SO MUCH MORE relatable.

The thing is they didnt try to make Dante A relateable, they just tried to make him cool, badass and cocky, with Dante B they tried to make him relateable and you can see the result

Dante wasn't exactly relatable, but he was still fun and cool. A LOT of characters in fiction aren't relatable such as James Bond, Superman, Conan the Barbarian, John Carter, Alucard (from Hellsing AND Castlevania), Deadpool, etc but that doesn't mean I can't sympathize with or like him. Dante was just FUN and a great antidote for the DOZENS of milquetoast Marcus Phoenix knockoffs clogging up modern gaming

llew:

it was a long time ago i saw it so i cant be arsed to go find it but he has done several comments like that along the development of DmC

If you can't be arsed to provide sources for your statement then why do you write those?

Adam Jensen:

TheKasp:
So you made my point: Entry number 3 and number 4 are ported to the PC... So I don't give a rats ass about the main series.

DMC 4 isn't a bad game. You should get it on PC. It's probably very cheap now since it was released in 2008. You'll have a lot of fun with it. And the graphics are still sweet. It's a very colorful game. Seriously, go for it. Even if you don't care about the story it's still a good amount of fun for a small amount of money.

Who knows, maybe I'll pick it up someday. By my actual standing Devil may Cry is a series of games I neither have investment in nor any kind of interest outside of the new entry. And this interest was basically created through all this fan backlash and exposure to the game I went through to get the idea what it was all about. The results are: I don't get it.

It is a reboot, reimagination. From the moment people saw the picture one thing they should've forgotten is that there would be any resemblence to the first series of games. Besides names it would be lead by another team, another writers and thus result in another product. And like with all those things: No one is 'forced' to get it.

I really hate to use the words but: It is just a game. People should get over it...

TehCookie:

But DmC isn't avaliable for the Wii either...

You said it wasn't on your platform of choice, when the important games are on PS3, 360 and PC. The only point you proved is you are willing waste money to attempt to make someone angry on the internet. Which is completely silly, but you even did a poor job at that. Anyone can say they preordered it, if you really want to make someone mad post a picture to prove it or claim you're 12 and Donte is mature because he says fuck you and the writing is Shakespearean. Also it's The Escapist, I know people having terrible taste on here.

Well, if Wii was my platform of choice then I would not have any interest in it...

The 'important' games? What is with the first two entries? Are they so shitty that people tend to ignore them? I would argue that in any series the first entry is important and even if the follow up is shit (hi Highlander 2) it does not hold less importance than the third game. Afterall, it was the second games sales that made the third one possible.

And for the part about taste: Right back at you, Mr. Fan(atic).

TheKasp:

TehCookie:

But DmC isn't avaliable for the Wii either...

You said it wasn't on your platform of choice, when the important games are on PS3, 360 and PC. The only point you proved is you are willing waste money to attempt to make someone angry on the internet. Which is completely silly, but you even did a poor job at that. Anyone can say they preordered it, if you really want to make someone mad post a picture to prove it or claim you're 12 and Donte is mature because he says fuck you and the writing is Shakespearean. Also it's The Escapist, I know people having terrible taste on here.

Well, if Wii was my platform of choice then I would not have any interest in it...

The 'important' games? What is with the first two entries? Are they so shitty that people tend to ignore them? I would argue that in any series the first entry is important and even if the follow up is shit (hi Highlander 2) it does not hold less importance than the third game. Afterall, it was the second games sales that made the third one possible.

And for the part about taste: Right back at you, Mr. Fan(atic).

The first one is old, it was good for it's time but it's aged. It's important for creating the series, but it's extremely bare bones and unrefined compared to the later ones. 2 was terrible at release and hasn't gotten any better, it sold because it was riding on the success of the first one.

TheKasp:
Snip

So because you have no investment in the series people should get over it?

bartholen:

The_Scrivener:

Adam Jensen:
Bottom line is, this game isn't worth $60, and Ninja Theory should have known that. When you're developing a new game in a well known series, your primary concern should be "will this satisfy our existing fanbase".

What the fuck were these guys thinking?

Dev #1: "Hey guys, let's make a new Devil May Cry game, just like the previous ones!"
Dev #2: "Umm, if we do that, the fans will just accuse us of rehashing the same game. We don't want to be Call of Duty, do we?"
Dev #1: "Alright, how about we redesign the character a bit and try to shake things up a little?"
Dev# 2: "Fair enough"

After the fan reaction to the new character design:

Dev #1: "Goddammit, why didn't you warn me about the raving fans? Now we've got to redesign the game and characters!"
Dev #2: "How could I have known? Plus, if we redesign it now, the fans will just complain about how we don't stand by our decisions and call us cowards"
Dev #1: "Okay... so we're fucked either way. Let's just try to roll with this one"
Dev #2: "Fair enough"

I think I've come up with a solution. Supply the game with two different audio tracks, where one has the characters called by their original names and on the other something else. Supply the game with a flippable cover which says something else on the front. Then have the player pick a choice before the game opening screen:
1. Choose to play DMC, a reboot which everyone hates, with a redesigned main character called Dante
2. Choose to play Crazy Pizza Pie adventure, a new hack'n'slash IP from Capcom where a new character called Captain Oregano must fight the armies of heaven and hell with his brother, Lieutenant Olivebranch.

Whichever you pick, the title screen will either say DMC or Crazy Pizza Pie adventure and have the according audio track.

Every poster that quotes me has acted like I'm a fan of the series. I'm not. I'm a softcore fan at best. I enjoyed the first few, but not more than a handful of hours. It's a decent hack and slash. It didn't invent the wheel.

Nobody has addressed the point I've made that Dante (and the game) was marketed as a sexist, douchey piece of shit. When someone wants to address THAT, I'll be happy to discuss it. Stop acting like I'm another in a plague of "it isn't the old one so it sucks" jackasses. I'm not.

Should we be irked that freaking Forbes once again has some of the most balanced pieces involving controversy surrounding a game? http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/01/22/dmc-devil-may-cry-review-part-one-such-a-beautiful-ugly-game/

Edit fixed grammar a bit.

shadow skill:
Should we be irked that freaking Forbes once again has some of the most balance pieces involving controversy surrounding a game? http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/01/22/dmc-devil-may-cry-review-part-one-such-a-beautiful-ugly-game/

It just makes me think that most gaming journalists need to rethink their places in the universe

Aiddon:

shadow skill:
Should we be irked that freaking Forbes once again has some of the most balance pieces involving controversy surrounding a game? http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/01/22/dmc-devil-may-cry-review-part-one-such-a-beautiful-ugly-game/

It just makes me think that most gaming journalists need to rethink their places in the universe

The thing is most of them whether they realize it or not, are really just another part of the advertising campaigns for these companies. It seems to be very common that these people really are not playing the same thing that we are (Mass Effect 3 being the most egregious example of this.) they don't have any credibility left. Just look at how so many went on about hair, desperately trying to push that meme even after the fans had moved on to gameplay related concerns.

I've ranted everywhere else, so I'm out of words to spare on this terrible, idea-sharing, boring, delaying, annoying, crappy game. The only remark I have left is: it's interesting how most people seem to be defending the game by saying DMC 4 sucked, but the only problem I had with it was the two dice game moments (those were worst than DMC 2) and the Devil Bringer being broken. I wasn't even mad about having half the game as Dante and half as Nero, I was planning on playing both sides either way. It's a terrible decision mind, but it wasn't a major issue.

captcha: burning oil...sounds like most of this thread and the others on this game.

DmC is a really bland game for me, given it's pedigree. Other than 2, I enjoyed the series, even though a lot of the stupidity grated (I waited till DMC4 was like 27 bucks before I got it, and the chainsaw-sword surfboard thing almost made me return that shit on the spot).

I just don't find DmC to be a good action game, though. No target lock, anemic movelist that is further restricted by progressing through the game (you know, the place where your repertoire should expand/that expansion should be put to use), atrocious story and dialogue (and this is by Devil May Cry standards, where we had a guy with a chainsaw-sword surf on enemies to death), and uninsightful-at-best-and-insipid-at-worst social commentary just isn't gonna float my boat. The first DMC did take itself fairly seriously, sure, but the combat was so good at the time that it could get away with that. Then the latter games had a seriousness with a humorous and fun edge (Nero's quest to save what's-her-name set against Dante's completely ridiculous little song and dance routine in DMC4). This reboot just takes itself too seriously, even when kidding ("My dick's bigger than yours,").

I do like the whole "city is trying to kill you thing" and found that seriously enjoyable, although I hate the whips.

I'm not trying to just shit on the game or anything, and I'm not really a big DMC fan, as I said. DmC's protagonist made me feel exhausted at best, the bombastic soundtrack sounded like a mess to me, and the gameplay lacked something as simple as a target lock. I found the story to be uninspired at the best of times. I'm not saying other people need to dislike it because I do, but this game feels like a black mark to me. And it couldn't even carry Bayonetta's purse.

At the very least, the inevitable sequel might be a little better. I hope Ninja Theory learned from their mistakes and improve on them, who knows, I might even be interested in it.

TehCookie:

Rawne1980:

TehCookie:

Well I think I spent more time on this than I needed too, but if I missed anything feel free to say so.

Don't hold back Cookie, tell us how you really feel?

All I feel is rage.

Oh and since some people here never heard of Operation Crazy here's the layout:
Row row, fight da powa! #THE DEMONS ARE COMING

isn't this, like, the exact damn thing that the sonic fans did?
and that everybody laughed their asses off at them for it?

teh_Canape:

TehCookie:

Rawne1980:

Don't hold back Cookie, tell us how you really feel?

All I feel is rage.

I haven't paid attention to sonic since the sega days. Either that or they failed, while the PS3 DMCHD is above DmC on amazon last time I checked. Besides DMC fans are still being laughed at for giving money to a company that screwed them over, but as the image says even if it fails you still get to enjoy a great game. Though being laughed at is a lot better than being insulted.

TehCookie:

teh_Canape:

TehCookie:

All I feel is rage.

I haven't paid attention to sonic since the sega days. Either that or they failed, while the PS3 DMCHD is above DmC on amazon last time I checked. Besides DMC fans are still being laughed at for giving money to a company that screwed them over, but as the image says even if it fails you still get to enjoy a great game. Though being laughed at is a lot better than being insulted.

maybe you didn't, but the movement is indeed the same
when the sonic fans decided to "teach Sega a lesson" by not purchasing Sonic 4 and instead purchasing Sonic 1 off the store (XBLA and PSN)
boy where they mocked and laughed at XD

teh_Canape:

TehCookie:

when the sonic fans decided to "teach Sega a lesson" by not purchasing Sonic 4 and instead purchasing Sonic 1 off the store (XBLA and PSN)

Like I said I haven't paid attention to Sonic since the Sega days, so was this before or after Sonic Generations? Though I think you miss the point, it's not to teach the publisher a lesson, it's to try to tell them what you want. If they were actually trying to teach them a lesson by throwing money at them I'd laugh at them too.

A functional hack and slash game with more problems than good parts. Doesn't need to be wearing the Devil May Cry brand would be fine as its own game.

TehCookie:
snip

from what I gather, it's exactly the same thing
and I typed "teach them a lesson" because I couldn't find the proper words, but the point was to show them what they really want (Sonic like the genesis days rather than modern 2D sonic)
and it was when Sonic 4 was coming out, like... right after Unleashed I think?

but it was just a little something I wanted to point out
haven't played the DMC series in a while (last I played was a bit of 4, then before that 3 almost all the way on PC and keyboard only (yes I was a masochist)) and I've yet to play the new one, so I don't really have a say on this =P

quick question
how does dmc stack up against bayonetta?

teh_Canape:

TehCookie:
snip

from what I gather, it's exactly the same thing
and I typed "teach them a lesson" because I couldn't find the proper words, but the point was to show them what they really want (Sonic like the genesis days rather than modern 2D sonic)
and it was when Sonic 4 was coming out, like... right after Unleashed I think?

but it was just a little something I wanted to point out
haven't played the DMC series in a while (last I played was a bit of 4, then before that 3 almost all the way on PC and keyboard only (yes I was a masochist)) and I've yet to play the new one, so I don't really have a say on this =P

I didn't bring any consoles with me to my college apartment so I'm stuck with the PC port. It isn't bad though. Makes jump canceling easier. Everything else, not so much~

lechat:
quick question

DmC wins the story aspect.
Tie in environment(kind of? there were moments in bayonetta that were FAR more epic but dmc's environments were beautiful all the way through)
Everything else goes to bayonetta.

lechat:
quick question

After playing a lot of DmC, I can't think of any way DmC would be better than Bayonetta.

The story in DmC may be more interesting. But weighed down immensely by the horrendous writing, pretentious real-world commentaries, and it also does not go very far in terms of satire. The game takes itself far more seriously than it thinks it does.

The environments in DmC are rich in color, and funky in visual design. But every level is the same static trod forward with occasional pulling and yanking and flying onto platforms for fights. Every now and then, the levels crunch inward and you move forward a bit faster. The levels start dropping sharply in quality towards the end of the game, abandoning for the most part the visual coolness of Limbo and the level shifting.

Bayonetta's levels don't contain nearly as much platforming. But in my opinion were a lot more fun to go through due to the frequent grand epic moments of all crazy sorts.

The combat in terms of challenge, depth, and pace goes to Bayonetta with no question. It easily surpasses DmC in all 3 aspects.

Sure, DmC is still fun and maybe worth playing depending on who you are. But if you were to ask me which of these two games is better, the answer is Bayonetta.

Tohuvabohu:

lechat:
quick question

Sure, DmC is still fun and maybe worth playing depending on who you are. But if you were to ask me which of these two games is better, the answer is Bayonetta.

argh
just finished playing bayonetta yesterday and thought it could have been better obviously dmc wont be the one to beat it :(

lechat:

Tohuvabohu:

lechat:
quick question

argh
just finished playing bayonetta yesterday and thought it could have been better obviously dmc wont be the one to beat it :(

That's how I felt about DmC. And I really wanted it to be good too. After playing it for awhile, it just hasn't gotten any better. (Playing DmD mode - which is as easy as taking a piss.)

But hey, you might want to consider giving it a try anyway. I don't think it's bad, you might enjoy it more than I did.

For those who said the original DMC games had crap writing.

Sounds like some pretty Shakespearean dialogue to me...

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
For those who said the original DMC games had crap writing.

Sounds like some pretty Shakespearean dialogue to me...

See this is another thing I miss from the original series. It didn't take itself too seriously. This newer dmc reeks of developers that have that hipster mindset of "my game is perfect and you can't convince me other wise". Mostly reminds me of yahtzee's reviews of the fable franchise.

teh_Canape:

TehCookie:

teh_Canape:

That's because they didn't get sonic 3 or sonic CD.
They chose 1.

Tohuvabohu:

lechat:
quick question

After playing a lot of DmC, I can't think of any way DmC would be better than Bayonetta.

The story in DmC may be more interesting. But weighed down immensely by the horrendous writing, pretentious real-world commentaries, and it also does not go very far in terms of satire. The game takes itself far more seriously than it thinks it does.

The environments in DmC are rich in color, and funky in visual design. But every level is the same static trod forward with occasional pulling and yanking and flying onto platforms for fights. Every now and then, the levels crunch inward and you move forward a bit faster. The levels start dropping sharply in quality towards the end of the game, abandoning for the most part the visual coolness of Limbo and the level shifting.

Bayonetta's levels don't contain nearly as much platforming. But in my opinion were a lot more fun to go through due to the frequent grand epic moments of all crazy sorts.

The combat in terms of challenge, depth, and pace goes to Bayonetta with no question. It easily surpasses DmC in all 3 aspects.

To be fair Bayonetta had better Lore and more details.
And what was there as a story was really easy to see despite it not being used that often.
Bayonetta as a character comes out more solid than donte.

Watched a friend of mine play the game yesterday. He managed to reduce Vergils HP to zero, but they instantly refilled to full since he didn't beat him like the game wanted to.

lapan:
Watched a friend of mine play the game yesterday. He managed to reduce Vergils HP to zero, but they instantly refilled to full since he didn't beat him like the game wanted to.

YOU WILL PLAY OUR GAME THE WAY WE DICTATE. Yahtzee talks a lot about the structure of shooters in his reviews, taking you from set piece to set piece and dictating how you go between each of them. I felt the same way playing DmC, like ninja theory had me by the ear and was pulling me along their game.

lapan:

What?? I didn't know that. That's bullshit!!

I never really did have a problem with the game. I didn't figure one was better than the other when comparing the old series with this one. But that? That is crap. This is worse than those quick time bosses where the game just sorta remains there frozen until you press the button.

Guess it's for the particular cut scene. And here I thought the walkthrough vid someone put up, they just felt like doing that move. I should have figured after the ending.

game-lover:

lapan:

I never really did have a problem with the game. I didn't figure one was better than the other when comparing the old series with this one. But that? That is crap. This is worse than those quick time bosses where the game just sorta remains there frozen until you press the button.

Guess it's for the particular cut scene. And here I thought the walkthrough vid someone put up, they just felt like doing that move. I should have figured after the ending.

He actually recorded it. Enjoy.
This is not even the only bug that can happen in this fight, see one of my earlier posts.

OBVIOUS BOSSFIGHT SPOILER WARNING

lapan:

game-lover:

lapan:

He actually recorded it. Enjoy.
This is not even the only bug that can happen in this fight, see one of my earlier posts.

OBVIOUS BOSSFIGHT SPOILER WARNING

It BAFFLES me at how NT could let obvious bugs slide. The incompetence is astounding

Wow, what a fantastic game.

I waited for the PC port because I heard it was the better version, and I wanted to flex my new CPU's muscles a bit. Damn was this game pretty. I wasn't sure what to expect from this when I got it. The high reviews made me optimistic, but I've never been really big on Hack n' Slashes. The last two I played, Bayonetta and Darksiders, I thought were dull and pretty stupid story-and-art-wise, but DmC completely blew me away. The combat was exciting and intense, and it was always a blast pulling off combos. The story is pretty straightforward, stop the Big Bad, but the character interaction is what really sells it (Plus I always like the "World between worlds" concept). I honestly cannot think of a single thing that I would have done differently, and I haven't left a game feeling this positive in a long time.

Ninja Theory nails it again. Way to make Devil May Cry matter again. I'm really looking forward to the next entry in the series, as well as anything else these guys make. Damn good job.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked