Scribblenauts Unlimited: Murder Simulator?

Not too long ago, I was playing Scribblenauts Unlimited on my friends computer. I was thoroughly entertained and amused by the sheer amount of options one has when playing this game. But then something came to my attention. In one particular level of Scribblenauts, there is a school. You can enter this school and complete all the missions, or should you wish, you can go inside and massacre every single person with any weapon you dare dream up. Guns, swords, even God. Nothing is out of the extreme. I am completely appalled by this insensitivity. These developers should be ashamed of themselves. How could they even allow such a possibility such as this? This game should be labeled as an atrocity and taken off the shelves.

Aaaaaaaand, end sarcasm. But on a serious, it makes me wonder. I don't agree at all with the idea that violent games breed violence. At least that they do anymore than movies, books, or other forms of art. But as anyone may notice, it seems that politicians and extremists always look to the M-rated games, often never looking at others. I feel that the very least they could do, is if they are going to investigate video games as a cause for violence, at least do a through job. Go through all of the games. It just seems a bit biased that, for example, in Mass Effect you're going through the universe killing people to SAVE it. Your group has a justified reason for killing. As opposed to Scribblenauts, where you can mow down a SCHOOL, just on a whim. Because you WANT to.

Honestly, I'm kinda surprised that there wasn't a shitstorm when somebody found out you could. Granted, normally I would be glad that there wasn't, but this just seems...odd. Maybe it's just me? Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks.

cjspyres:
is if they are going to investigate video games as a cause for violence, at least do a through job. Go through all of the games.

Ah well you see they aren't going to do that for 2 main reasons
1. There's too god damn many
2. They want people to believe what they're saying is right, looking at other games would make them seem wrong.

I wouldn't call scribblenauts a murder simulator either, the purpose after all is to get those darn stars! not to mention you're not forced to murder all the students, the very idea wouldn't cross your mind unless you could actually wanted to murder them in which case you should rename the title to

Scribblebauts Unlimited: Murderer Tester

Cause again just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD, but since you want to anyway it's not the game to blame it's your own psyche.

If Scribblenauts had a realistic graphical style and killing someone involves them bleeding on the ground rather than disappearing in a puff of smoke then someone would probably be warming up the controversy engine.

Keoul:

cjspyres:
is if they are going to investigate video games as a cause for violence, at least do a through job. Go through all of the games.

Ah well you see they aren't going to do that for 2 main reasons
1. There's too god damn many
2. They want people to believe what they're saying is right, looking at other games would make them seem wrong.

I wouldn't call scribblenauts a murder simulator either, the purpose after all is to get those darn stars! not to mention you're not forced to murder all the students, the very idea wouldn't cross your mind unless you could actually wanted to murder them in which case you should rename the title to

Scribblebauts Unlimited: Murderer Tester

Well, I'd never use "murder simulator" to describe Scribblenauts. That was more or less just a good ol' jab at old Jack (even though he is no longer relevant). I suppose they could narrow down the bar. Maybe to games that allow more control over WHO you are able to kill (Turn to puffs of smoke)? I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed more. Not for the sake of having a popular thread, but just that this seems to be a somewhat interesting, if not serious topic. I mean, think about it: You're most impressionable when you are growing up. Wouldn't it make more sense for the games chosen to be studied to be games a child or young teen is most likely to play? Say.....E and T rated games?

I thought it was a pregnancy simulator *runs around making everything pregnant*... Wait, that came along the wrong way.

TheKasp:
I thought it was a pregnancy simulator *runs around making everything pregnant*... Wait, that came along the wrong way.

Scribblenauts Unlimited: Rape Simualtor?

I've played the game at my sister's house with my nephews. And I must say, it's pretty interesting the amount of stuff you can create.

Seeing as I don't have a Wii U, I might get this game for my PC, as it doesn't look too graphically powerful. I'll have to check the specs first.

I tend to think that if there's a real problem with long-term exposure "violent" games, it has less to do with desensitizing people to real-world violence to the point that it becomes conceivable and more with causing people to start to see violence or aggression as the key means of solving problems. That isn't necessarily going to manifest itself in shootings, but it might less visibly cause your workplace of schoolyard to start looking like a place that divides into strict "friend-or-foe" lines and cause someone to be less willing to seek answers that involve diplomacy and compromise. Of course, virtually no one tests for that, nor do I even know an easy way that they could; what testing goes on about video games is more along the lines of "five minutes after playing Call of Duty, do you feel empathy for this picture of a kitten or disturbed by this picture of dead bodies.

And, reflecting that, politicians are almost never going to seek to censure a game like Scribblenauts becuase it would involve actual explanations and thought and would be hard to codify. It's way easier to say you're banning a game because it has blood and guts, and it makes you look heroic in some people's eyes.

Hmmm, ITS A GAME! as in NOT real, i mean you torture little turtles in mario bros, you kill tens of thousands of realistically rendered people in COD games,(yesterday i got a badge for my 10k kill), and dont even get me started whit those evil accursed things called "Books" or worse "Movies"

Well these people are only looking for the real zingers that shock the public to the extent everyone flips out and throws all common sense out the window, and once you got a lynch mob going the wave of stupid really can't be stopped.

Mr.K.:
Well these people are only looking for the real zingers that shock the public to the extent everyone flips out and throws all common sense out the window, and once you got a lynch mob going the wave of stupid really can't be stopped.

This is true. Very true. I don't know, maybe it's just me that found the ability to do this a bit surprising. I mean, it doesn't bother me. Not a bit. I'm not angry, I'm not disgusted. I just found it surprising. When I saw that, I thought, "well, as soon as somebody finds this, there will be a shitstorm." But there wasn't. I mean, if anyone actually gave a damn about "games breeding violence", this would be an issue. No doubt about it. Because this is a game that is easily accessible by every age group, and looks cutesy enough to be innocent. There might not be blood or screams. But on a basic level, it's still pretty violent. These are the games that should be studied.

Let me go ahead and state again, and clearly, that I don't think games breed violence any more than movies, books, or other art forms. In the end, I think it's up to the parents/guardians to restrict what they think is appropriate for their children. I DO support the studies into finding evidence to prove or disprove that games breed violence. I don't believe that ignorance of anything is a good philosophy. Even if we don't like the results.

cjspyres:

TheKasp:

No no, I don't touch them. I just make everything pregnant. Like a pregnant chair. It gives birth shortly after I make it pregnant. Or a dancing pregnant burning Cthulhu. It gives birth to a smaller dancing burning Cthulhu!

TheKasp:

cjspyres:

TheKasp:

No no, I don't touch them. I just make everything pregnant. Like a pregnant chair. It gives birth shortly after I make it pregnant. Or a dancing pregnant burning Cthulhu. It gives birth to a smaller dancing burning Cthulhu!

This is somehow.....not better. Not saying it's worse...but definitely not better. You know, I think we should all stop and thank our lucky stars that such a notebook doesn't exist in this world.

cjspyres:

TheKasp:

cjspyres:

This is somehow.....not better. Not saying it's worse...but definitely not better. You know, I think we should all stop and thank our lucky stars that such a notebook doesn't exist in this world.

But... but... imagine if you could make your PC preggers and suddenly BAM, you have a second, smaller PC with the same hardware! You want a netbook but only have a laptop? Make your laptop pregnant! Or you want a small table for the living room: Make your table in the kitchen preggers!

See all the advatages! *all for pregnant-only solutions in Scribblenauts!*

Because of retarded UK release systems I don't have it yet even though I got it in the sale.

Smooth move Valve ya dicks.

TheKasp:

cjspyres:

TheKasp:

But... but... imagine if you could make your PC preggers and suddenly BAM, you have a second, smaller PC with the same hardware! You want a netbook but only have a laptop? Make your laptop pregnant! Or you want a small table for the living room: Make your table in the kitchen preggers!

See all the advatages! *all for pregnant-only solutions in Scribblenauts!*

Wouldn't this also make everything you own...living? I find that a bit disturbing. I don't think I could use a laptop knowing that it's a newborn sentient creature.

cjspyres:

Wouldn't this also make everything you own...living? I find that a bit disturbing. I don't think I could use a laptop knowing that it's a newborn sentient creature.

Then just make it 'nonsentient', the pad solves every problem in the most direct, brutal and efficiant way (though making everything pregnant is not efficiant at all)...

This game is just sick.

TheKasp:

cjspyres:

Then just make it 'nonsentient', the pad solves every problem in the most direct, brutal and efficiant way (though making everything pregnant is not efficiant at all)...

This game is just sick.

Scribblenauts Unlimited: The most grotesquely inhuman game ever conceived?

TheKasp:

I decided to go into the game and make a herd of pregnant Cthulu's. They popped out, all cute, pregnant, and Cthulhu-like, I turned all of them friendly, and I released them from the giant indestructible cages I put them in. They were to all roam the city street, as one happy family adventuring the world.

To my dismay, I was forced to watch the "mother" attack her babies, all in order, from oldest to youngest. She just, destroyed, every single one. All of her children. All dead by her hand. She continued to rampage the city streets, killing off every last organic being in the area.

After all that child bearing, she must have turned rampant, as that was apparently one of her adjectives.

Needless to say I am now traumatized. Thank you all for listening.

cjspyres:

Scribblenauts Unlimited: The most grotesquely inhuman game ever conceived?

Well... Yes.

Full:

I decided to go into the game and make a herd of pregnant Cthulu's. They popped out, all cute, pregnant, and Cthulhu-like, I turned all of them friendly, and I released them from the giant indestructible cages I put them in. They were to all roam the city street, as one happy family adventuring the world.

To my dismay, I was forced to watch the "mother" attack her babies, all in order, from oldest to youngest. She just, destroyed, every single one. All of her children. All dead by her hand. She continued to rampage the city streets, killing off every last organic being in the area.

After all that child bearing, she must have turned rampant, as that was apparently one of her adjectives.

Needless to say I am now traumatized. Thank you all for listening.

Welcome to the world of Scribblenauts!

*can't wait for the game to actually release here*

TheKasp:

One of my game of the years, for sure. Made me pick up the first two on DS, and it turned into one of my favorite franchises. Just my brand of fun.

Full:

TheKasp:

One of my game of the years, for sure. Made me pick up the first two on DS, and it turned into one of my favorite franchises. Just my brand of fun.

Oh no doubt. It's one of my favorite games of all time, and that's saying something. I just love all the originality and crazy stupid things you can do. Like....oh I don't know...making and angry, flaming, pregnant God?

cjspyres:

Full:

TheKasp:

Oh no doubt. It's one of my favorite games of all time, and that's saying something. I just love all the originality and crazy stupid things you can do. Like....oh I don't know...making and angry, flaming, pregnant God?

Agreed. The Steam version is best IMO, due to the Steam Workshop.

Giant Crystallized Mecha Christ vs A walking Bazooka that shoots bears.

Full:

cjspyres:

Full:

Agreed. The Steam version is best IMO, due to the Steam Workshop.

Giant Crystallized Mecha Christ vs A walking Bazooka that shoots bears.

This. Just....all of this. Every single last bit of THIS.

cjspyres:
But as anyone may notice, it seems that politicians and extremists always look to the M-rated games, often never looking at others. I feel that the very least they could do, is if they are going to investigate video games as a cause for violence, at least do a through job. Go through all of the games.

You wouldn't ask this of any other investigation, would you? Would you expect the police to investigate everyone in a town of 30,000 on the off chance they found the murderer 20 miles away with no witnesses or probable cause?

How dare people go after the most probable suspects and rely on user-supported reporting to determine the most viable content!

Aaaaaand...End sarcasm.

Seriously. If you're concerned about the hypocrisy, report it. I know you don't really want games policed, but you're the stumbling block in the system being fair right now. Hell, maybe I'll start raising awareness about this school massacre software, see what happens.

Maybe the rating of Scribblenauts should be raised if you can do this. Attention might lead to just such a re-evluation. On the one hand, I don't think that needs to happen. On the other, we wouldn't want a double standard, would we?

Yeah, Scribblenauts can get pretty crazy at times. I think the reason they pick on M rated games though is because those make easier targets. The easily accessible violent images that those games provide makes it a bit easier for someone who hasn't played the games in question to use them to lay blame on them while Scribblenauts' cartoony exterior provides it a layer of protection from moral crusaders.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked