Favorite "Power of Friendship" Game

Pages 1 2 NEXT

For me, it's the Mass Effect trilogy. In that trilogy, one of the major themes of the game is unity against common enemies, most notably the Reapers. In Mass Effect 1, Shepard forms a small team consisting of not only two humans, but also a krogan, a turian, a quarian, and an asari, proving to the galaxy that multitudes of different species in the galaxy can still work together toward a common cause. Meanwhile, Mass Effect 2's premise is building a team needed to survive a final mission, which means not only building its numbers, but also building strong friendships with its individual members through loyalty missions.

What about you, and why?

EternalNothingness:
Meanwhile, Mass Effect 2's premise is building a team needed to survive a final mission, which means not only building its numbers, but also building strong friendships with its individual members through loyalty missions.

And yet they lock themselves away isolated in their rooms never interacting with each other until the final mission which adds up to about a minute's worth of content.

Woo friendship!

Welcome back EN. please don't post inflation again

OT: My favourite game with a "power of friendship" message would probably be pokémon, even though I think that plot is cheesy as hell. I love the games, but the hamfisted "LOOK AT THE POKEMANZ THEY LOVE EACHOTHER SO THEY WIN" message after every major battle gets annoying.

Favourite game where I actually enjoyed the power of friends story? Uh... I'm stumped. I've yet to see a game (that I've played) pull it off properly.

Oh look it's this guy, welcome back I guess.

OT: Baldur's gate of course. :3

Minsc and Boo are the bestest friends you could ever have.

"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legends, right Boo?"

Persona 4 hands down, the fact that half the game is hanging out with your friends makes you that much more attached to them during the story. I actually like a lot of friendship stories, I find them much more tolerable than a one man killing machine.

Resident Evil 5, although it's more about the "friendship" between me and my friend than the characters. Sharing items with your buddies down to the bullets, distracting monsters from your cornered buddy, sticking close until the game forces you apart for a time, a string of laughs and bad jokes... Fun stuff.

If we're talking about the actual story mode friendship stuff, probably the Kingdom Hearts series. Cheesy? most of the time yes, but enjoyable all the same.

I came in here intending to joke about Mass Effect 2 being an answer...

... Only you opened with that, and the series as a whole. So now I'm not sure what to say. Do I drop in my comment about ME2 basically being Auntie Shepard's Daddy Issue Clinic? Where we save a fraction of the human populace with amateur, uncertified psychiatry for a small therapy group?

In fact, I think the only team mate in the entire series who has a healthy relationship with their father is Kaidan.

OT: Erm, does GTA IV count? You'd be pretty fucked if Little Jacob didn't rock up with that helicopter. Guess all that time pretending to understand what the hell he's saying paid off.

Oh, oh, I know! Jet Set Radio Future. Because only when gangs of antisocial street criminals set aside their differences and work together can we hope to defeat business tycoons in giant mechs! I believe it's a lesson all of us should take to heart.

Persona 4, it's such a happy game... About a series of bizzare murders commited by an unknown culprit. You and your awesome friends go to solve this case on your own by going inside a TV and rescuing people!

See this is why I can't explain the story of Persona 4 without saying "this makes a lot more sense in context" every two seconds.

Hanging out with your friends is an actual gameplay mechanic. You get them to max rank they grow as a character and even get their upgraded Persona which makes them do more damage in battles, they might drop weaknesses as well. I'm not sure about that one though.

If the Personas you make are the same type as the person you've ranked up they get an EXP boost on creation. This can be literally over 5 levels making it the coolest anti-grind mechanic ever!

The Wykydtron:
Persona 4, it's such a happy game... About a series of bizzare murders commited by an unknown culprit. You and your awesome friends go to solve this case on your own by going inside a TV and rescuing people!

Sounds like some wacky fucking Scooby doo game. :3

"Whoa gang, we somehow got sucked into a television"

"Jeepers"

lRookiel:

The Wykydtron:

"Jeepers"

It is, and its awesome that way.

lRookiel:

The Wykydtron:

"Jeepers"

"Zoinks Scoob, looks like we have fight some serious GOONS to solve this case!"

The Wykydtron:

See this is why I can't explain the story of Persona 4 without saying "this makes a lot more sense in context" every two seconds.

Hanging out with your friends is an actual gameplay mechanic. You get them to max rank they grow as a character and even get their upgraded Persona which makes them do more damage in battles, they might drop weaknesses as well. I'm not sure about that one though.

If the Personas you make are the same type as the person you've ranked up they get an EXP boost on creation. This can be literally over 5 levels making it the coolest anti-grind mechanic ever!

I thought that too, but after my friend played it, he said he never saw any social links (outside of the main party) to be his friends, just people to agree with and manipulate, he felt more like a sociopath than a friend, maxing their social link and never hanging out with them again...

He also felt that several other party members weren't even friends, just people who hung around each other because they were friends with you, forming an awkward social group, with your friends looking up to you as their best friend, furthering the "protagonist is a sociopath" theory.

Pretty sure that isn't how the game was meant to be interpreted, but it is funny. I love Persona 4 (Golden especially) but his interpretation is interesting.

FFIX all day. So much friendship. Your cynicism can't resist friendship of that magnitude.

And I guess some of the Mario RPGs have that going on too.

TizzytheTormentor:

The Wykydtron:

I thought that too, but after my friend played it, he said he never saw any social links (outside of the main party) to be his friends, just people to agree with and manipulate, he felt more like a sociopath than a friend, maxing their social link and never hanging out with them again...

He also felt that several other party members weren't even friends, just people who hung around each other because they were friends with you, forming an awkward social group, with your friends looking up to you as their best friend, furthering the "protagonist is a sociopath" theory.

Pretty sure that isn't how the game was meant to be interpreted, but it is funny. I love Persona 4 (Golden especially) but his interpretation is interesting.

That's how I interpret Persona 3 actually, your friend should play Persona 3: FES as well. I can see his point but that is DEFINITELY more of a problem in P3 rather than P4, simply because of the loner archetype being intact throughout the full game.

I felt like everyone was supah best friends in P4 whereas I felt like the protagonist in P3 was pulling a Vergil.

"I NEED more power!"

I'm here to cast one more vote for Persona 4 aswell.

I don't really feel that you make many friends in the Mass Effect games (as a maleShep), only Garrus (and maybe Grunt too, in a sociopathic, one ton attack dog sorta way) can be counted as friends. Vega is cool too, but he's only there for the last ride.

The Wykydtron:

TizzytheTormentor:

The Wykydtron:

That's how I interpret Persona 3 actually, your friend should play Persona 3: FES as well. I can see his point but that is DEFINITELY more of a problem in P3 rather than P4, simply because of the loner archetype being intact throughout the full game.

I felt like everyone was supah best friends in P4 whereas I felt like the protagonist in P3 was pulling a Vergil.

"I NEED more power!"

He hated the AI in FES but watched a few social links on youtube and got the same vibe from both games, he did like the Akinari Kamiki social link though.

While he was playing Persona 4, he also hated Yosuke for being an annoying loser, mainly because he never shut up about "OMG we get teh c gurlz in dere swimsuits again" something which they cranked up to eleven in Golden, I showed him Valentines day in Golden and that solidified Yosuke as a colossal loser in his eyes.

lRookiel:

While that may be impressive, consider an even more impressive case.

Fall of Cybertron for me, friendship all over that motherfucker with optimus prime and Metroplex.

Then I went and got a case of the sads when Metroplex gave his spark to save them all.

TizzytheTormentor:

The Wykydtron:

That is kind of what happens, every team mate you have is there because of Shepard, without him around, theres no reason to stick together.
Although the sociopath thing is a bit much, Shepard needs these people to save the galaxy first and foremost, becoming good friends, and maybe banging one or two of them is just a happy bonus.

Vegosiux:

lRookiel:

While that may be impressive, consider an even more impressive case.

What is your favorite party composition, just out of curiosity? I mean, Keldorn with the Holy Avenger was absolutely insane! Of course, having both Minsc and Keldorn might be overkill in the huge swords department, and it IS hard to resist Minsc (and Boo!)

Fat_Hippo:

What is your favorite party composition, just out of curiosity? I mean, Keldorn with the Holy Avenger was absolutely insane! Of course, having both Minsc and Keldorn might be overkill in the huge swords department, and it IS hard to resist Minsc (and Boo!)

The two main parties I used in my games

Me (thief), Viconia, Korgan (Crom Faeyr, ho, go solo Kangaxx!), Mazzy (pewpew!), Edwin, Minsc
Me (not-thief), Imoen, Jaheira, Viconia, Minsc, Nalia

Sometimes swapped Edwin or Nalia for Aerie. And of course, everyone else for their personal quests.

I wouldn't say Mass Effect. It kinda confused me because for the whole of each game I usually had a favourite 2 buddies and always used them. It got awkward when the other companians would talk about how much we'd been through, and I'd feel bad because their entire journey had been spent in some small room of some small spaceship, let out occasionally to complain to Sheppers.

TizzytheTormentor:

The Wykydtron:

Tom_green_day:
I wouldn't say Mass Effect. It kinda confused me because for the whole of each game I usually had a favourite 2 buddies and always used them. It got awkward when the other companians would talk about how much we'd been through, and I'd feel bad because their entire journey had been spent in some small room of some small spaceship, let out occasionally to complain to Sheppers.

I feel that way about Persona 3, Persona 4 and the Mass Effect trilogy.

No matter how hard they try, I'm not Shepard or Yu Narukami, or that social outcast with blue hair and a bad game. I really can't feel a connection with these bland protagonists. Some dialogue choices aren't enough, especially when they range from "I'm too good for this world" to "I drink blood of little children", with "I just don't care" in the middle for the most boring or bored players. Most engaging than the majority of games, I have to say, but not good enough in my book.

I think the perfect "power of friendship game" doesn't exist yet (or I haven't played). Interactivity is a thorn in the side of this kind of story.

Pokemon,

If your Pokemon are not your friends they will eat you alive/attack you. (Not really, but it would make sense)

Storywise I'd say... well I haven't played much games with a frienship theme, but JRPGs seem to be pretty big on it. I'd say most JRPGs. For example, in the Fire Emblem series you get bonuses if you get the characters to know each other by placing them continuously next to each other in battle.

Gameplay wise I'd say the Borderlands series. Getting revived by a loyal teammate always provides a nice dose of "YEAH, FIST BUMP, BRO!" and I usually chat with my team when hosting a game.

Eh, technically Suikoden 1 and 2. The Stars of Destiny does it right because you can actually see the benefits of recruiting people and bringing them together, rather than just watching some special Deus Ex Machina fly right out of the writer's ass at the most convenient moment.

Vegosiux:

Fat_Hippo:

The two main parties I used in my games

Me (thief), Viconia, Korgan (Crom Faeyr, ho, go solo Kangaxx!), Mazzy (pewpew!), Edwin, Minsc
Me (not-thief), Imoen, Jaheira, Viconia, Minsc, Nalia

Sometimes swapped Edwin or Nalia for Aerie. And of course, everyone else for their personal quests.

I've rarely tried mixing alignments in my party, to be honest. You have to balance your reputation for one thing, and I know some members will actually try to kill each other if have them both in your group, but I was never sure which ones. But maybe I should try it sometime, probably quite a few interactions I've never seen.

I liked Kingdom Hearts back in the day when it was about Sora, Donald and Goofy. They have a nice little id, ego and superego routine going on.

Oh you're back? Hoped you had a good time thinking over your last thread during your suspension (keep your fetish to yourself).

Anyway to me I guess that would go to The World Ends With You. I mean the protaganist started out as a emo (no really at that bonus game + he said to himself to not think of emo stuff) who didn't give a danm to the world and think of himself but at the end of it, he finally open out and embrace the newfound friends he made.

Also I agreed with Persona 4 despite not playing the game itself but if the anime is acurate to teh game then I can see why the whole Power of friendship is strong in that game.

Imre Csete:
I'm here to cast one more vote for Persona 4 aswell.

I don't really feel that you make many friends in the Mass Effect games (as a maleShep), only Garrus (and maybe Grunt too, in a sociopathic, one ton attack dog sorta way) can be counted as friends. Vega is cool too, but he's only there for the last ride.

So what? With regard to my FemShep, I felt that there was a strong sense of camaraderie between her and her various teammates. In ME1, I taught Garrus the importance of mercy even toward criminals (and by mercy, I mean sparing their lives, not letting them off even with a warning). I also recovered geth data from the assignment, "UNC: Geth Incursions," and gave it to Tali'Zorah to help complete her pilgrimage. And, I helped Wrex recover his family armor, not only to make sparing his life easier, but also because he was a friend to me, even with the bad attitude and everything.

Oh, and I romanced Kaidan Alenko in ME1, and stayed true to him in ME2, so that I could romance him one last time in ME3.

Same with Mass Effect 2's loyalty missions, especially when I go down the Paragon route, even if some of them didn't like it. By earning everyone's loyalty and saving all of their lives in the suicide mission, I was able to see all ten of them again in ME3, even if only two of them return to my squad, while the rest simply make cameos and become war-assets. Same with Vega and EDI; I helped the former make the decision on becoming an N7 soldier, while I helped the latter bond with Joker.

Sometimes, friendship is as much about helping your friends as much as it is the other way around. I enjoyed helping those teammates with their respective problems, and in the process, it felt nice to have them as friends (and Kaidan as my FemShep's boyfriend).

This thread must contain mention of Gothic series. In three games I got more lasting friend than I ever had in real life.

Lets see which ones I can name of the top of my head:
Lee - the cool badass.
Gorn - Samuel Jackson badass.
Lares - lesser version of Lee, but more carefree.
Diego - in first game your patron, in second he got new personality of being greedy.
Thorus - not really a friend, unless you consider it to be tsundere bromance (I had to bite my tongue after using those words), but he is always around.
Lester - only young mage.
Milten - only clearheaded cultist.

And much more if you consider only first two games.

Persona 4 and Fire Emblem come to mind.
Both reward you quite well for not being an isolated individual (or having your units be inhuman killing machines that don't have idle chit-chat before and after battle in the case of the latter), and you get some jolly good scenes full of friendship and all...well, almost all the benefits that come along with it.

For a more joke answer, I'd say Team Fortress 2.
The team containing more friendly friends seems to have a marginally higher chance of achieving victory.

There are only two games where I've ever managed to take the theme seriously: Mother 3, and The World Ends With You. So, yeah, those. I would add Dota 2 if only there were actually any friendly people playing it.

I don't know if Mass Effect counts. They're not really 'friends' as such, more like allies.

But if it counts that's the only 'power of friendship' game I've played. I try to avoid that theme, I find it ridiculously cheesy and saccharine (one of many reasons I dislike MLP).

throw me down for Persona 4 as well, for reasons other people have already said

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked