When your favorite series derails

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Does CoD count?
I'm not some stupid fanboy, but Black Ops and WaW were actually quite good. I didn't play them, but I hear Modern Warfare 1 and 2 were also good. However, MW3 and BO2 were terrible. Like, really really bad with no redeeming features in my opinion.
Other than that, there are no series I play that I've given up on.
WAAAAIT WAAAAIT. Nearly forgot. MONSTER HUNTER.
I used to love those games on the PS2 and PSP, I played every single one. I also forced/convinced my family to buy a Wii just to play Tri, but seriously capcom? Now they're saying it'll be a 3DS exclusive (the new game) and probably 4 as well. I now own a PS3 and nothing else, but I really want to play Monster Hunter :(

Not necessarily a series of games (didn't play early RE:s) derailing, but it was pretty damn dissapointing to see capcom royally fuck RE up the arse when they had perfected a formula with number four, never managing to repeat it.

Dragon Age. Dragon Age 2 was just a mess. From enemies to plot and everything in between.

Knight of the Old Republic. KOTOR was fantastic, KOTOR 2 was average but that's it and SW:TOR was the biggest steaming pile of shit i've ever had the misfortune to play.

Mass Effect. I enjoyed the first, tolerated the second but the third ... it had far more problems than just the ending.

Assassins Creed. I really liked the first one and the second one was okay. After that I gave up. Played Brotherhood at a friends but never bought it (20 minutes was enough to see it wasn't very good) and haven't played any of the others.

Halo.

CE, 2, and 3 featured multiplayer where two teams started off on even footing, the difference to be made by skill level and map control. Power weapons and pick-ups spawned on the map and it was up to a team to control those in order to accomplish their objective.

Then Reach came along with Armour Abilities and Loadouts, among other things, which fucked it all up. Armour Lock negated everything: Vehicles, grenades, rockets, etc. You could shed plasma grenades with the fucking thing, which means that a successful stick, which was once a point of skill, could be negated with the touch of a button. Jetpack threw a wrench in map movement, Active Camo gave campers newfound invisibility and even radar jamming (don't say it wasn't for camping, the camo didn't even work if you were moving). They removed melee bleedthrough on shields so it became more effective in CQC to just double-melee (what was considered a noob tactic in previous titles) than it was to attempt to outmaneuver your opponent. Bloom added unnecessary randomness to the mid-range combat that dominates Halo's gameplay (Pistol->BR->DMR). Sprint being added as an ability, meaning that A: The gameplay was slowed down in order to make sprinting a commodity, and B: One had to sacrifice their advantageous AAs in order to have any semblance of speed. Sniping became almost too easy, for Halo veterans, as the slower run speeds and lower jump heights made it seem like playing a Custom Game where everyone had to walk.

Halo 4 has most of the same flaws, only now Sprint is a function independent of AAs: Better, because you no longer have to sacrifice an ability in order to actually move, right? Actually no, because the fact remains that everything is slower when not sprinting and you can't fire your gun while doing so, meaning that by default the combat is slower that it should be.

Johnny Novgorod:
Silent Hill is particularly tragic for me because the devs keep finding new ways of jumping bigger sharks with each new release, and make past horrible games good games by comparison. The series has been derailing for about ten years, six games and two movie adaptations now.

Silent Hill 4: The Room, 2004 - Boo, the controls are awkward! Too much backtracking! Worst SH evah!

Silen Hill: Origins, 2007 - Boo, this is such a shameless movie time in! Pyramid Head rip-off! Worst SH evah!

Silent Hill: Homecoming, 2008 - Boo, this is too action-packed! Pyramid Head is a sell-out! Worst SH evah!

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, 2009 - Boo, there's no combat, no health, no items, just running! Worst SH evah!

Silent Hill: Downpour, 2012 - Boo, the games aren't scary any more! The combat is awkward again! Wah! Worst SH evah!

Silent Hill: Book of Memories, 2012 - Boo, what's with the isometric Diablo-ish perspective and the teen cast? Worst SH evah!

And so on.

Awwww dammit, you ninja'd me. :(

Yeah, I was gonna say SIlent Hill, but I personally wouldn't say Silent Hill 4: The Room though. That game did have quite a few moments of brilliance and once the named ghosts came out shit did get real, even if they were slightly annoying. My few issues with it was Eileen fighting with you, the first person angle was awkward, and the final fight was BS.

The rest of the series took a nose dive for me, and for other reasons.

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Johnny Novgorod:
Snip.

Yeah, I was gonna say SIlent Hill, but I personally wouldn't say Silent Hill 4: The Room though. That game did have quite a few moments of brilliance and once the named ghosts came out shit did get real, even if they were slightly annoying. My few issues with it was Eileen fighting with you, the first person angle was awkward, and the final fight was BS.

The list was more of an attempt to summarize common fan criticism against the games rather than my own personal take on them (as well as a way of acknowledging the fact that nobody ever disses with the first three games, SH1's cheesiness aside). I actually hold SH4 as one of my favorites. After SH2 I find it to be the most bizarre and mystifying of the the lot, and I've always been amused by how many people hate it so fervently. I also think Downpour is a decent game on its own, "SH cred" regardless. But yeah, the series has jumped the proverbial shark one too many times.

This happened only temporary when Ratchet: Deadlocked (or Gladiator) came out, which took away most of the puzzle platform and exploration aspects of the previous game and made it into a mostly generic thrid-person shooter. Thankfully Tools of Destruction remedied those problems, but I found it at times to be too easy and "kiddy" even for a Ratchet and Clank game.

Johnny Novgorod:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Johnny Novgorod:
Snip.

The list was more of an attempt to summarize common fan criticism against the games rather than my own personal take on them (as well as a way of acknowledging the fact that nobody ever disses with the first three games, SH1's cheesiness aside). I actually hold SH4 as one of my favorites. After SH2 I find it to be the most bizarre and mystifying of the the lot, and I've always been amused by how many people hate it so fervently. I also think Downpour is a decent game on its own, "SH cred" regardless. But yeah, the series has jumped the proverbial shark one too many times.

It was foretold by Gyromancy!

I was hoping that's what you were doing. :P

SH4 really was a mixed bag and I think they should've just left it as a different game rather than trying to tie it into the game, but I still liked it and the story was pretty good. And I will give them credit for doing something different with the series which is more than I can say for the ones after it.

I haven't played Downpour yet, and I don't think I want to even try Book of Memories. It might be a rental for me, but I don't know. I do agree with you though, the series has jumped the shark quite a bit, and I'm wondering if they will eventually head into Resident Evil territory with how action oriented it can get.

Mycroftian:
Anyone remember the Jak and Daxter series? First two games were really awesome. Third game was pretty good in my opinion. Then Jak X, which was a racing game... What? It wasn't terrible by any stretch of the mind, but it felt like the series had literally jumped the rails. Apparently they made a new game in the series recently and it was terrible, but I didnt play it.

Basically this. Jak X was awful. The first 3 Jak games are the only good ones that exist, and I blame Naughty Dog for this. Those sell out fucks. Speaking of which:

Crash Bandicoot. All up until Twinsanity was good. The only game after Twinsanity that was BARELY good was Tag Team Racing. The rest is just abominable. Crash Bandicoot 3 was my Childhood, I remember sitting down with a PS1 Controller in hand, having the most fun playing the levels over and over (Knowing quite a few back to front by now). But then Naughty Dog Sold it. And it started to decline. The last 'true' Crash Bandicoot game was Wrath of Cortex. But at least, up until Twinsanity, they stayed good games. CNK was fun and very reminiscent of CTR (The Last ND Crash Game). CTTR was fun and unique. But... Damn the company to hell for the atrocities that are Crash of the Titans and Mind Over Mutant.

Let's see where to start?.

Resident Evil
Sonic
Final Fantasy
DMC
Command & Conquer
Sims
Fable
Silent Hill
and now DBZ thanks to their ultimate shit stain for a kinect game.

That's all I can round off the top of my head for now pretty much.

Currently playing through Hitman Absolution so I'm going to say that. It's fun, it's still a good stealth 'em up but it's not a good Hitman game, it really isn't. I hope they remove the linearity next time around, they still have my faith as I can see a good Hitman game in it but if they pull this crap again, I'm done.

Baldur's Gate: Throne of Bhaal. The first two in the legendary RPG series provided open worlds, with tons of areas to explore and all sorts of secrets to find. Then they decide to close out the story with a linear jaunt across a tiny map, hacking and slashing through faceless enemies up until the end. It wasn't terrible, but the quality was nowhere near that of the first two games.

Looks like I'm the first one to say Rainbow Six. I came in at the beginning with the original Rainbow Six and loved the idea of planning your missions and taking a tactical approach to missions rather than run-and-gun your way through the levels like pretty much every other shooter up until that point (1998). Rogue Spear was a great sequel and Raven Shield is one of my top 5 games ever. Then everything went to hell. Rainbow Six: Lockdown is an arcadey piece of crap and the Vegas games were pretty decent games, but they weren't Rainbow Six at all. No missions, three man team, teammate revival, regenerating health...ugh.

Ghost Recon's nothing like it once was either.

Andy Shandy:
Oh when my favourite series derailed, boy, it did in style, in the form of Sonic '06.

On a good day, I'd consider it worse than pretty much ever other Sonic game. On a bad day I have cursed it to hell and back for just it's sheer existence alone.

We got a good game grumps playthrough of it though... I hope that's some small consolation XD

Ninja'd; That's what I get for skimming over the thread. XD

OT: Honestly I'd have to say Halo. Everything after ODST killed it for me, not because they were bad, but because there was really nothing left to say with the series. You could see a lot of this with the retconning in Halo 4 (and technically a bit earlier in the extended universe). They had to change previous things just to keep going.

Mass effect 3,as soon as none of my choices amounted to anymore than numbers on a game board.

Not my favorite series, but I loved the first Jak and Daxter game. Could be challenging, but mostly it reminded me of my young days playing Crash Bandicoot. Second game was extremely different and really put me off. Could never get very far when I was a kid. Got a bit further in the HD release for PS3, but a turrent shooting section made it impossible due to the look sticks being fucked up.
Third game... Race after race after race, all being near impossible to finish. Got to some part where I gotta use Daxter to steer in some animals into a cage(iirc) and just couldn't be arsed anymore.

Really wish they would've stuck with the concept of the first game.

Call of duty.

Granted, I picked it up at #4, but it wa a different sort of first person shooter, focussing on military trappings and realistic settings, with a morally grey story, and hard questions about heroism, interventionism, and nuclear weapons.

MW2: Oh look, that series that focussed on the British SAS? Well now America's invaded by the Russians who have all signed up with the Ultranationalists now. And I'm just going, really? It was still fun, but the only meaning you could take away is that you can't trust the military to regulate itself.

MW3: And then it got shorter and more linear, and the conclusion to the story is... A heroic sacrifice by a squad of US Special Forces operatives? I mean, really? The first game had a protracted sequence decrying movie heroics in warfare, and we end on that?

The story in 2 and 3 was a convoluted mess, with terrible exposition, and pacing, characters whose interactions and motivations seem to be invented fully formed depending on what serves the story at that instant.

Oh, and the Multiplayer:

MW: Mostly sprawling maps, with diametrically opposed spawn zones. Good for any number of play styles. Gameplay is medium to slow paced, lean is still a thing, and killstreaks are a relatively subdued affair.

MW2: Still plenty of sprawling maps, but now with some better designed close areas. Dedicated snipers can still have their fun with this. Gameplay is much faster, to the extent that "knifing" becomes a thing. Autoaim on snipers makes "Quickscoping" easy. Poorly designed perks lead to constant tubing. No Deds. Killstreaks are constant and bombastic. Things are going downhill.

MW3: Entirely close quarters zones for the most part, and using weapons apart from close in gear is futile. Game is fast, quarters are close, and akimbo machine pistols dominate all engagements. The maps now have ambient gunfire and floating ash effects, a nightmare for competitive players. No ranked Deds, and the unranked ones were buggy for the first month or so.

Probably only Dragon Age II. It's the only time in recent memory that I've bought a sequel to a game and gone "This is nothing like the first game, and in a bad way."

I heard the sequel to Supreme Commander was the same kind of genre shift, but I never bought it.

All of the other series I've subscribed to have maintained their core gameplay, or if they've changed it (Total War and Mass Effect come to mind) they've done it in a way that makes sense and that I agree with and which is, ultimately, better for the franchise. The changes in DAII were kind of shoehorned and removed everything I liked about the first game and added a bunch of stuff I didn't like, like flashy attack animations and enemy waves.

Ratchet & Clank is that series for me. As long as Insomniac will keep doing that multiplayer spinoff bullshit, I will not be able to enjoy an R&C game. All4One and Full Frontal Assault are traversties. Plain and simple.

Silent Hill too, but to a much lesser extent. I can still play the games, I just don't find them as brilliant as the first three. I quite enjoyed Origins and thought Shattered Memories was a nice litle thing. I was also able to enjoy Book of Memories for what it was (i.e. a fun little spinoff). I couldn't get into Homecoming, but I didn't find anything particularly bad about it. I got Downpour last week, but haven't played it yet. I'll get to it once my DmC binge is done.

95% of the time it starts derailing with the sequel. This applies to everything.

It's not my favourite but I hate what happened with Jak and Daxter with the third game. The first one is one of my favourite platformers ever and the second, whilst being wildly different, was still a very enjoyable game.

The third one was just full of really, really shit checkpoint races for the first half. It's a shame because the platforming and action missions were still really fun but it felt like there were so few of them compared with the races. I've always hated checkpoint races in open world games, they're my least favourite type of mission. Ever.

The main series Sonic games (because the spin-offs always had their fair share of shit) took a real nosedive with Sonic '06 but I felt Unleashed was a decent recovery, even if it wasn't perfect. [I]Sonic Heroes[/i] wasn't great, but I don't think it was bad enough to say the series derailed there.

I love the old Silent Hill games, but I can only say they derailed through hearsay. I thought Silent Hill 4 was really good and I quite enjoyed Shattered Memories too, even if it wasn't up to the old standard.

I loved the first couple of Rainbow Six games but I didn't play another one until the Vegas sub-series. While I thought they were terrific games, they weren't what I wanted from Rainbow Six.

I thought Splinter Cell: Conviction was OK, but, again, it wasn't what I wanted from Splinter Cell. It felt like you could just play it as a cover-based shooter and be fine; I didn't feel like as much of a ghost as I did in the old games.

Almost all favourites and non favourites a like, especially the RTS series. It all started with Super Smash Brothers Brawl, and then almost every thing I looked forward to went up shit creek. Can't believe I have research every title just to make sure I don't have to deal with stupid design, shitty game play, painful story's or DRM.

First post, Huzzah.
Anyways, OT:
Let's see, I think I've only had two incidents of this myself,
Resident Evil, I was fine, and in fact loved both the early ones, and 4, EH about 5, but 6... the demo made me lose any faith i had.
My other one, Legacy of Kain, Now the story was great, as always but the final game just... bleg, might have just been my copy but it was too buggy to get far into.

Banjo-Kazooie. I loved the first two, but Nuts and Bolts was terrible.

Paper Mario as well. First two were amazing. I thought the 3rd was alright, because it was trying something different. Sticker Star was supposed to be a return to formula but it really failed.

The Wykydtron:
Wow nobody has said the new Devil May Cry. I am impressed, well done Escapist.

I guess ME3? Because the ending was just THAT horrible. Then again the amount of needless fanservice in that game was a bit weird...

"This was in our last game remember! Haha the throwbacks! Also this! And this! More of that! LOL BIOTIC GODS! LOLOLOLOL"

Christ after a while it was like my brain was getting wanked off by Bioware...

The new Devil May Cry is actually good... :)

Johnny Novgorod:

Leoofmoon:

Johnny Novgorod:
Silent Hill is particularly tragic for me because the devs keep finding new ways of jumping bigger sharks with each new release, and make past horrible games good games by comparison. The series has been derailing for about ten years, six games and two movie adaptations now.

Silent Hill 4: The Room, 2004 - Boo, the controls are awkward! Too much backtracking! Worst SH evah!

Silen Hill: Origins, 2007 - Boo, this is such a shameless movie time in! Pyramid Head rip-off! Worst SH evah!

Silent Hill: Homecoming, 2008 - Boo, this is too action-packed! Pyramid Head is a sell-out! Worst SH evah!

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, 2009 - Boo, there's no combat, no health, no items, just running! Worst SH evah!

Silent Hill: Downpour, 2012 - Boo, the games aren't scary any more! The combat is awkward again! Wah! Worst SH evah!

Silent Hill: Book of Memories, 2012 - Boo, what's with the isometric Diablo-ish perspective and the teen cast? Worst SH evah!

And so on.

I liked downpour, it did have some vary scary moments in them to me.

Downpour is, admittedly, one of the better SHs following the first few games. My main complaint are the "monsters" being not particularly monstruous or abominable. I wasn't disgusted or frightened by their appearance, nor did I find them their design to be very inspired. As Yahtzee more or less put it, they're "little dudes with their dude wives attacking you with their dude fists" or something along those lines.

I agree the town was more the scary thing and so was the characters but the monsters mostly were flat. Though I do have to say the first and second encounter of the shadows did make me freak out!

For me Farcry's multiplayer was a hidden gem when i picked it up for the xbox360. The community made it into a plethora of great game modes and user created maps completely independent of the developers original intent. Farcry 2 had some stupid decisions made for it: restrictions made to the basic building blocks of maps, predator mode thrown out and not replaced with anything interesting, and a weird class system. Hell they even tried to make some dlc that couldn't be used on custom maps. A lot of people thought Farcry 3 would finally improve on Farcry 1 but it looks like they went the opposite direction and just turned it into some COD clone.

Silent Hill and Resident Evil stand out to me.

I got into Resident Evil with 2. 1,2,3, and 4 were good. Code Veronica was okay, I can't put my finger one why I dislike it though. 5 tried to be a second 4, and was a mess, mainly due to the AI partner. Also, I couldn't play Co-Op because 99% of players picked Chris, and the fact that the camera is fixed made Sheva awkward to play. Played the demo for 6, and decided to skip it.

Silent Hill 1,2, and 3 were great. I didn't play 4, Shattered Memories or Origins. Homecoming added enemies with guns. Something that seems odd and just wrong in a survival horror game. Downpour was alright, but the monster design was pretty uninspired.

The way I see most things it ends up like this:

The original is what everything is compared to.
The sequel improves on the original.
The third one either jumps the shark, or fails at mimicking the sequel, or mimics it too well

Skoldpadda:

So, while we're gonna hear a lot of Mass Effects and Diablos here, you can't really count them, since they (in my opinion) went to shit after numero uno.

Wow. Someone else thinks Mass Effect 2 was a decline.

So let's see....

Saints Row 2 was the pinnacle of the series. Saints Row wasn't bad, Saints Row 2 was awesome, and Saints Row 3 was....Stripped for DLC (and other problems like that).

Final Fantasy stopped mattering to me after 9.

WWE games. They've been up and down, though. And they're a license, so maybe they shouldn't count.

Burnout. Burnout was a good idea, but kinda meh. Burnout 2 improved it in every way. Takedown was amazing. 4, whatever it was called, was...Meh. And Paradise was just a step back in so many respects (though still a fun game). I haven't grown to hate the series, but my expectations are lower than a Johnny Gatt comeback.

It seems like every gaming franchise i get myself invested in seems to derail...

-I used to be a massive CoD fan (as in before CoD4 made it super popular) MW2 killed the franchise for me.
-Mass effect, well that's explanatory.
-I feel that Battlefield is starting to follow CoD's path.
-As much as people love it TES has really gone downhill since Morrowind, everything is oversimplified so that Bethesda can rake in more cash.
-AC3 was a massive disappointment and the ending left me laughing at how bad it was, it felt like they'd trapped themselves into a corner and didn't know how to end the story.

I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting but it seems like i can never catch a break when it comes to good franchises.

Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts, as an obvious candidate.
Hitman: Absolution
and Team Fortress 2, in the updates, not the game itself. (hatsss)

The sick thing about abso and bolts is that there is SO MUCH POTENTIAL but they just completely trashed the core series theory for some completely new play style, and yet stamped the same title on it. It's not a B&K game, and it's not a Hitman game, no matter how good they are.

Splinter cell :( I'm still waiting on my sequel to chaos theory. Won't hold my breath though

Resident Evil - i enjoyed Resi 4 even though i missed the zombies, 5 felt souless and 6 has ruined the series in my eyes for good. I only played through the whole of it because a friend bought it me and i didn't want to be a dick and not play it and my god is it horrible. the stupid amount of stupidly hard or unneeded QTE (like have to spin the stick every time you need to open a bulkhead door), so many controls that they clash with each other ("no game i wanted to roll not duck and still get my head cut off), the overuse of the same bosses and environments (even for Capcom), the worst story in existence (its all done because simmons <3 Ada wong), the utterly useless skill perk system.

its inability to decide whether to be a TPS or a survival horror, it gives you limited ammo and healing items so i found myself either depleted of ammo, one health blip or both when fighting a boss or a area where i'm unable to move. one example being when Leon and Helena have to defend the bus they're in but the fat zombie from five minutes ago had just eaten all my ammo so all i had was a knife against enemies that were out of my reach. ammo also takes up an inventory space even when its loaded into a gun and with like ten slots and at least 4 weapons (some coming with ammo variants)i found i had a best two slots in my inventory for health items to pick up.

And some of the QTE are outright impossible; one that pissed me off to no end was when this one enemy that can only be described as a eel man sits on you and pulls a one hit kill unless you spin the left stick faster then humanly possible.

Seriously, i have no idea how Devil May Cry warranted a reboot when this piece of shit crawled out of development

Sonic - Sonic died with sonic Adventure until generations finally got it back on track. 3D for sonic was a very bad move for Sega from the start and they should have stuck with 2D until they could figure out a good way of doing it. running straight lines and then crashing into barriers to turn is not a good sonic game.

Command & Conquer - died for me after Generals, i didn't realise until i played battle for middle earth 2 first that EA's RTS games were just re-skins of each other so Tiberium Wars played like middle earth 2.

Fable - has been falling apart since the first game, never heard any of molyneux's promises with fable 1 so i find little fault in it. but fable 2 and 3 just got simpler and simpler in gameplay and reducing choices in equipment and making death little more then a speed bump.

"oh dear you got killed, well now you have a scar on your face. bet you feel pretty bad now don't you?"

no. I don't give a flying fuck about my appearance when I wasn't able to any clothing or hairstyles I liked so that scar is completely meaningless. the removal of bosses was an outright dumb dumb move as well as making the evil play through the wrong choice. burn down a competing relgion's temple so yours is the only one in albion, sorry your temple did nothing in the 15 years you've been away but if you chose to defend the temple you burned down it would have flourished and you'd have a whole new place to buy.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
Ninja Gaiden, the original games were some of the most influential games on the SNES. The first two of the rebooted series were some of the very best entries in the modern Hack And Slash genre.

Then Ninja Gaiden 3 came out and... bleh. Apparently Razor's Edge has made up for it somewhat, but still... Team Ninja need to pull their finger out if they want the series to continue. Other developers like Platinum are still managing to make incredible action games, there's no reason why Ninja Gaiden 4 couldn't be the same.

THIS - Ninja Gaiden 3 REALLY upset me, NGB and NG2 were the most popular games in my house aside from Halo for a good few years, I used to spend hours a night either battling through the Mission Mode or trying in vain tom survive Master Ninja difficulty (seriously, the first few levels are SOO hard in Master Ninja NG2)

But NG3 just missed the point completely:
1. It replaced the excellent NG2 weapon set with swords only, swords that probably share the same move set, dunno never finished NG3 but they did add more weapons... as PAID DLC

2. Removed obliteration techniques, the limb removal system was integral to NG2s combat, enemies missing arms and legs behaved differently, which changed combat. This was replaced with "mash x to kill dude" or Steel on Bone (yawn)

3. Removed the upgrades, money and majority of projectiles - Streamlining what didn't need streamlining, NG had a decent and simple upgrade system and shops where you could replenish spent health items, projectile ammo and even upgrade weapons at your leisure, choosing when and what to upgrade

4. Quality bar of enemies and bosses, design and combat and the removal of bosses health bars - enemies in NG 3 are dull and/or stupid, the boss fights are dull, NG1 had a boss battle against an attack helicopter, it was a cool fight. In NG3 you fight several but it feels like fighting toy choppers tbh! And how do you make fighting a robo T-Rex suck? Ask Team Ninja.. without Itagaki, Team Ninja has suffered..

5. Multiplayer..... I'm not one of those guys that gets all weepy on Oprah's couch when a game I love has shoehorned multiplayer but NG3s multiplayer was crap, folk give Dead Space 2s multiplayer a hard time, it is AAA compared to this garbage.

I have lost all faith in Team Ninja and the Ninja Gaiden series, Ninja Gaiden Z looks like generic crap (zombies anyone?), Razor's Edge might fix some stuff (i didn't even get in to the dumb ninpo or the soldiers begging for their lives and the awful smart bomb like Ultimate Techniques) but it is too little, too late :(

BlackSite: Area 51

I know it's not directly related but it still destroyed our chances of ever seeing a proper sequel to the 2005 remake of Area 51.

Reason it was so bad?

The Aliens/Mutants weren't inspired, they were essentially re-skinned soldiers that were perhaps a bit more agile, a stark contrast to Area 51 which had Aliens that were far more bestial in nature.

Buggy as all hell and clearly unfinished, there were huge enemies that upon death would remain in place yet you could walk through as if they weren't there, large barren sections that looked more like a dev testing area rather than a finished location, and weapons that just didn't feel right when fired, it felt like I'd paid for an Alpha of a game.

Features promised and showcased mere months before release inexplicably absent in the 'finished' game.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked