Recommend an MMORPG or JRPG.

Pages PREV 1 2

Sign up for a Free to Play World of Warcraft account, and decide if you like it or not. I'm surprised no one has pointed out that the first 20 levels of WoW is free.

WoW is the most polished MMO out there, and is probably your best chance. It's expensive for the WHOLE thing, but you don't need every expansion right away. The first 20 level are free, and it's only $20 for the base game, and first 2 expansion which will last you to level 80, that will give you majority of the game, and you won't need the other two expansions for awhile. If you reach level 80, and still enjoying the trip, at that point it's probably a good idea to upgrade to the next expansion since you already invested enough time to get that far. But if you can't get past level 20 without getting disinterested, might as well move on.

I've never played Guild Wars 2, so I can't say much on it. But it doesn't have free trail. I wouldn't buy a game, without being able to try it first. Since this will be your first foray into MMOs, I'd go for the safer option above.

As for JRPG, despite all the examples above, you're rather on your own. What qualifies as a good story is mostly up to you. Just look for a JRPG that looks like it have characters you think look cool. They tend to focus heavily on the main characters, and if you can't connect to the protagonists, the story isn't going to be interesting.

The Kingdom Hearts series. Feel free to skip out on 358/2 Days and Re:coded, and Chain of Memories if you hate the gameplay in that one. Days is very much a side-story, and as-of-yet has no real bearing on the main plot. It's basically backstory for a few of the characters from II. The other two are bridge games and you won't miss out on too much if you just read the synopsis on Wikipedia.

But the absolutely essential titles (Kingdom Hearts, II, Birth by Sleep, Dream Drop Distance) are all amazing games, and each one improves upon the one before it. The story is brilliant.

And while the inclusion of Disney characters does put some people off, it actually works very, very well. Mickey Mouse winds up being kind of a badass.

Bara_no_Hime:

Scarim Coral:
JRPG- Xenoblade Chronicles

Yeah, but try finding a copy of that game anywhere. For less than 100 bucks, I mean. And if you do... point me in that direction.

I got my copies of Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story on Cyber Monday at Gamestop. 30 bucks a pop. You might want to check there, and see if they still have some in stock.

And play Mother 3, OP. I'm not going to tell you again.

Earthbound and Mother 3 are great places to start for JRPGs. The only problem being that they don't handle like every other JRPG so you may get a bit disappointed when you find yourself liking those two games and can't find something else like it. Also, any Mario RPG actually tends to be really good.

Can't help you much with the MMORPGs, but as far as JRPGs go, I can recommend The World Ends With You, it has an interesting combat system, and a great story. If you don't mind going significantly older though, I would recommend any "tales" game(Symphonia, Abyss, etc) they have a fun active combat system that is almost like a fighting game crossed with your typical jrpg. If you want to go even farther back, you can't beat either Chrono Trigger, if for nothing else other than historical value, and my personal favorite JRPG, Final Fantasy V, the combat is your typical JRPG fair for the most part, but it has a fun job system, great characters (including one of my favorite JRPG characters Gilgamesh), and is overall a great time.

Rex Dark:
Well, if you're looking for a JRPG, I can recommend pretty much every pokemon game.

I loved 'em up to Gold, I do admit, but I can't play them on the PC (except for Blue and Red with the aid of an emulator, I think. I think I got that working correctly once. Possibly).

CoffeeJack:

Rex Dark:
Well, if you're looking for a JRPG, I can recommend pretty much every pokemon game.

I loved 'em up to Gold, I do admit, but I can't play them on the PC (except for Blue and Red with the aid of an emulator, I think. I think I got that working correctly once. Possibly).

There's an emulator for Gameboy Advanced games too, isn't there?

Rex Dark:

CoffeeJack:

Rex Dark:

There's an emulator for Gameboy Advanced games too, isn't there?

Hey, you're right. Sweet! I'm going to look for Pokemon Gold on the PC. If I don't come back in 5 minutes then consider me lost to addiction, baby!

If you're 18+, Sengoku Rance is a good one. ^_~

I hear Skies or Arcadia is good, that is if you can find a reasonably priced copy.
Star Wars The Old Republic, it has hands down the best story I've ever seen in an MMORPG, most of the complaints aimed at it were due to unreasonably high expectations.

Hazy:
I got my copies of Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story on Cyber Monday at Gamestop. 30 bucks a pop. You might want to check there, and see if they still have some in stock.

They did! Success! Thank you so much for that idea.

Now I just need to borrow a Wii from someone....

There is one and only one true "JRPG" to be released on PC in recent years and that's the Last Remnant, which is alright.

MMORPG wise though I would say NOT The Old Republic because it's version of f2p is disgusting, and just shell out the money for Guild Wars 2. Oh and the Secret World is absolutely amazing. The combat is clunky and kind of boring, but it oozes atmosphere and you will actually feel genuinely creeped out and even scared at some points. You'll also have to pay for that it, but both TSW and GW2, with their upfront one time purchase, provide a better experience than TOR, which won't even let you run without paying $5 (at least until your character is a certain level anyway).

Try DarkBlood its a MMO hack&slash game with heavy anime style.

It's free to play and an ok game if you can get use to the profanity filter.

CoffeeJack:

I have to admit, I enjoyed myself more than I expected with LOTR Online. It seemed relatively refined and exciting to explore. I'm downloading The Old Republic at the moment, because it's also free-to-play and BioWare still presumably have a good writing team, unless the departures clipped that particular wing too. I think the first MMORPG I buy might be The Elder Scrolls Online, but I have my doubts and shall have to play the waiting game as far as that one goes. If it's not as well-designed as I thought, it might still be a lot of fun to explore the continent of Tamriel.

Yeah, I was about to advise LotRO. It's a good game with a decent story, nice customization, and a decent freemium model. It's even more fun if you've read the books, because the amount of easter eggs in that game is down right amazing.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here