12% (145)
James Vega
26.6% (322)
26.6% (322)
other (comment)
8.7% (105)
8.7% (105)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Most reviled Mass Effect squad mate?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Which of all the mass effect squad characters did you hate the most/like the least, and why? (There weren't enough slots to have any where near all the characters, so I've picked to most often belittled ones, but if you pick other, please mention who in the comments)

Zaeed Messani.

He's the only one that I can say I didn't like without qualification. There were a couple that I am indifferent towards (Jacob, Kaiden) but didn't particularly dislike. There were others that irritated me in some way (Miranda, Thane) but they all had some redeeming attributes or good moments.

Except Zaeed.

They just tried so painfully hard to make him a badass that it came off as silly. And it's not like there was any other attributes to his character.

"Then I murdered a whole prison colony of Batarians all by myself. And then I beat a Krogan with my bare hands!

Also, his mission was corny as fuck.

PS. Also, the fans have kind of made me dislike Tali, even though from ME2 onwards she was actually a decent character.

Funny that you only put up the humans...

Jacob was boring, but I never could stand talking to Ashley or Kaidan, really. Always seemed like one-note characters, and Kaidan was really quick to jump to the assumption that Shepard wanted in his powersuit.

I didn't really hate anyone
I just chose Jacob because he was the most boring character, that and I never actually used him.

shrekfan246:
Funny that you only put up the humans...

Jacob was boring, but I never could stand talking to Ashley or Kaidan, really. Always seemed like one-note characters, and Kaidan was really quick to jump to the assumption that Shepard wanted in his powersuit.

You huma... turians? are all racist XD

Zhukov:

"Then I murdered a whole prison colony of Batarians all by myself. And then I beat a Krogan with my bare hands!

For whatever reason, I just automatically read that in Zaeed's voice XD

He was a pretty much one trick pony though. The mission was lame too especially since it accomplished nothing if you chose the paragon path. I honestly could've just "speech checked" him at the beginning and the result would've been the same. Not that I mind actually playing content mind you, It just could've been... better in every way really.

OT: I didn't really hate any of the squad mate characters. James Vega was probably the least developed character (for obvious reasons) so I choose him. I honestly don't understand all the hate Jacob or Ashley get. I understand Kaidan a little I guess, but only barely :/

Couldn't STAND Vega. His character was just incredibly bad and pointless and uninteresting and did not deserve to be a part of the Normandy crew... However I chose Ashley because she got on my nerves the most. Her stupid racist attitudes and whining about the military family frustrated me to no end, soon as ME1 came out for PS3 I let her die first chance I got.

T0ad 0f Truth:
I honestly don't understand all the hate Jacob or Ashley get. I understand Kaidan a little I guess, but only barely :/

In ME, Ashley was pretty much completely defined by her daddy issues and racism against aliens. It's not like they were little things there to flesh out her character, they were who she was. Boring as all hell, especially when the likes of Wrex, Garrus, Tali, and Liara were much more interesting.

shrekfan246:

T0ad 0f Truth:
I honestly don't understand all the hate Jacob or Ashley get. I understand Kaidan a little I guess, but only barely :/

In ME, Ashley was pretty much completely defined by her daddy issues and racism against aliens. It's not like they were little things there to flesh out her character, they were who she was. Boring as all hell, especially when the likes of Wrex, Garrus, Tali, and Liara were much more interesting.

I didn't think she was the most interesting character, just not a bad one. Meh at absolute worst...

And almost everyone in that game had daddy issues XD

Wrex= Dad betrayed and tried to kill him for thinking differently

Tali= Her dad was a distant prick and she wanted him to acknowledge her

Liara= Abandonment issues with her "father"

Garrus= Had trouble accepting his dad's "by the books" outlook on life

Miranda= Hated her father for controlling and manipulating her for his own ends and trying to do the same to her sister

Jacob= Had an entire side quest dealing with his Father's abandoning him and shit morality

Grunt= The entire being tank bred by his "father' and struggling to either accept or deny Okeer's outlook on life

It doesn't mean their bad characters. Ashely was the "family girl" character and really just had trouble breaking out of that. Probably because she wasn't in the second game all that much. None of the First game squad members were incredibly fleshed out because Bioware was focusing on world-building in the first game.

Just look at the jump in quality of how well Tali was written between the first and second game. She was easily overlooked in the first, whereas in the second she was awesome.

Jacob and Vega were soooooooooo boring, and if there's anything potentially worse than a bad character it's a boring one. I honestly don't think if you removed either of them the game would change, well, at all. I guess you'd need a different person for that tutorial bit in Mass Effect 2, but that's about it. Seriously.

They're boring characters that serve no purpose.

shrekfan246:

What made Liara interesting in Mass Effect 1? Because while I eventually started to warm to her with Shadow Broker and ME3, in the first game her exclusive purpose seems to be to fawn over Shepard. Seriously, she has like two conversations with you before she's pulling the 'in love but too shy to say it' card, and beyond that her entire character is to be a vaguely nerdy pretty chick for Shepard to bone and to cry when mommy dies. She eventually becomes more intereting, but in the first game that's pretty much her entire character in a nutshell.

At least Ashley has defining characteristic beyond fawning and crying.

The reporter from Mass effect 3, I don't recall her name. I liked the idea of a reporter on board, it had potential, however they ruined it by giving her that slutty dress and having her be voiced by an amateur.

I despise both Miranda and Kasumi, but Miranda slightly more so. Kasumi . . . Oh, Kasumi. Whose idea was it to add in a motherfucking cat burglar in an age where there are scanners capable of picking up DNA from skin flakes? I mean, shit, the archetype is cliched as all hell in normal fiction, Jesus.

"And then I stole everything in the galaxy! And then I replaced it all with exact copies and nobody noticed!"

Zhukov:
Zaeed Messani.

Bitch you'd best not be talkin' shit 'bout my waifu or I swear I will CUT you.

They just tried so painfully hard to make him a badass that it came off as silly. And it's not like there was any other attributes to his character.

[nerdrage]
Okay, one, he only murdered his way OUT of a Batarian prison, not a prison colony. Two, plenty of people have beaten Krogan like that. Garrus has. Hell, Shepard can do it by hitting them with his elbow.
[/nerdrage]

Sorry, but I'm playing back through ME2 right now, so, yeah . . .

I guess you didn't take him along with you a lot? He's not quite as cardboardy if you do.

Zaeed talking in the ship is funny; Zaeed talking about how working security removes any connection to killing people, how working for every contract really makes him think about what he's doing and why is surprisingly deep. He has depth, or hints of it, at least, but it is pretty easy to miss.

Also, his mission was corny as fuck.

It . . . it wasn't that corny . . .

T0ad 0f Truth:

shrekfan246:

T0ad 0f Truth:

I didn't think she was the most interesting character, just not a bad one. Meh at absolute worst...

And almost everyone in that game had daddy issues XD

Wrex= Dad betrayed and tried to kill him for thinking differently

Tali= Her dad was a distant prick and she wanted him to acknowledge her

Liara= Abandonment issues with her "father"

Garrus= Had trouble accepting his dad's "by the books" outlook on life

Miranda= Hated her father for controlling and manipulating her for his own ends and trying to do the same to her sister

Jacob= Had an entire side quest dealing with his Father's abandoning him and shit morality

Grunt= The entire being tank bred by his "father' and struggling to either accept or deny Okeer's outlook on life

The difference is that all of the other characters weren't defined by their daddy issues. Tali, Miranda, and Jacob all had quests directly tied to their parents, but they were other characters outside of that as well. There was more to them than "racist military girl with daddy issues".

It doesn't mean their bad characters. Ashely was the "family girl" character and really just had trouble breaking out of that. Probably because she wasn't in the second game all that much. None of the First game squad members were incredibly fleshed out because Bioware was focusing on world-building in the first game.

Just look at the jump in quality of how well Tali was written between the first and second game. She was easily overlooked in the first, whereas in the second she was awesome.

I'm not saying they're bad characters because of daddy issues, but even when compared to Wrex or Garrus from the first game, Ashley was just poorly written and not that interesting.

The Madman:

What made Liara interesting in Mass Effect 1? Because while I eventually started to warm to her with Shadow Broker and ME3, in the first game her exclusive purpose seems to be to fawn over Shepard. Seriously, she has like two conversations with you before she's pulling the 'in love but too shy to say it' card, and beyond that her entire character is to be a vaguely nerdy pretty chick for Shepard to bone and to cry when mommy dies. She eventually becomes more intereting, but in the first game that's pretty much her entire character in a nutshell.

At least Ashley has defining characteristic beyond fawning and crying.

Clearly somebody never waited until almost the very end to rescue Liara.

And this is more of a personal opinion thing, but I thought her attitude in the first game was very endearing. I like shy, awkward people, what can I say.

I won't claim her character is any better written than Ashley or Kaidan in the first game, but I thought she was more amusing and interesting to have conversations with.

Kaidan. His sole reason to exist seemed to be to be the default femshep romance option. Other than that I just draw a total blank on him. At least Ashley had that whole Space Republican thing going on.

James Vega. He was just so pointless and uninteresting. Why did they even bother to put him in the game.

shrekfan246:

I'm not saying they're bad characters because of daddy issues

No, I know, It's still funny that almost everyone in that game has daddy issues though XD

Some of them work, some of them don't. Ashley's works well... and then that's all they did with it :(

What happened to the whole "Everyone in my unit died" path they could have fleshed out more... or the personal "let's not be racist, aliens are kind of cool" growth she could of undergone. They could have even linked them together and had her "soft racism" be because of Eden Prime.

,but even when compared to Wrex or Garrus from the first game

To be fair, when compared to wrex or garrus from the first game, everyone was poorly written XD

, Ashley was just poorly written and not that interesting.

but ...but... I couldn't romance them! Not that I would with my male shepard, but I probably would've done more than two fem-shep playthroughs if I could.

vega had potential and i liked the odd comment but he was a walking stereotype and the flirting between my femshep and him freaked me out. first time ive yelled at shepard wtf are you doing...stop it !

All the choices are human squadmates...

You humans are all racist!

Wait...

I'm not sure how far into Mass Effect I am(I've completed the previous 3 missions and am now at Virmire), but so far I find Kaidan to be the most worthless of the bunch. It might be that I chose to be a Sentinel, myself, but Kaidan was just kinda...worthless all through Eden Prime at the beginning.
He was dead in seconds, in every single fight, and he didn't do piddly when he was alive. But he was also boring to me. Never said any kind of banter when paired with anyone, not even Ashley. So yeah, my least favorite in ME1 would be Kaidan.

In ME2, I didn't have any I particularly dislike. Jacob was very boring, though. He was just kinda...there. I literally had no use for him on the battlefield beyond the tutorial. Zaeed was a waste of my time, too. I did Zaeed's mission literally for the XP you gain and that's it. After that I never bothered with him. He's an asshole and I don't care to take assholes with me. But I think the cast for ME2 was far too bloated, personally. If I had my way, they'd cut out Zaeed, Kasumi, Thane, Samara and Jacob(replacing him with someone interesting) and focus on everyone else. Although to be perfectly honest, I think it was a bad move to cut out every single crewmate except for Garrus. I like Ashley and definitely like Liara more than Samara.

As for ME3, I've only had a few hours experience with it. I didn't get very far, but so far I could do without James Vega. I haven't had any inclination to interact with him whatsoever and it seems like he's there just to be there. Why he's there? I have no idea. Don't care to find out.

T0ad 0f Truth:

shrekfan246:

I'm not saying they're bad characters because of daddy issues

No, I know, It's still funny that almost everyone in that game has daddy issues though XD

Some of them work, some of them don't. Ashley's works well... and then that's all they did with it :(

What happened to the whole "Everyone in my unit died" path they could have fleshed out more... or the personal "let's not be racist, aliens are kind of cool" growth she could of undergone. They could have even linked them together and had her "soft racism" be because of Eden Prime.

See, and that's where my issues stem from. They set the seeds of a more fleshed-out personality, but never took it anywhere. And when we see her again, assuming she survives, she's like a completely different character (she even looks like a different character in 3).

,but even when compared to Wrex or Garrus from the first game

To be fair, when compared to wrex or garrus from the first game, everyone was poorly written XD

Indeed.

Liara fucking T'Soni. Ooh look at me I'm a wilting flower nerd sexual fantasy come save me with your penis but I'm also a lesbian too!

She contributes nothing to the plot, bitches at you if you do her mission last in ME1 and complete the whole game without her, does nothing in ME2 until she stumbles into being the Shadow Broker, then goes back to doing nothing but being proto girlfriend "I made a time capsule! Aren't I perfect?" in ME3 again.

Nothing she does has any impact on ANYTHING, apart from her being Marina Sirtis (Benezia) daughter. And you can do that mission without her, so she's totally irrelevant there as well. Pretty much all she does is read your mind and translate texts for you. That's it. Anything else, she's just sort of "there" while being forced as this super duper important character you totally need to care about.

Fuck that, I'm brofisting it with Garrus and Wrex.

I don't think there was any character I outright hated, but I could find Miranda a bit tiresome when a lot of her initial conversations revolved around how perfect she was made to be. She develops a bit during her story mission, but a bit late for me to really warm up to her.
Would have liked to see more development of Jack outside of the abrasive convict motif as well. Thought it was a shame that she wouldn't open up more about her past unless she was romanced.

To be honest I didn't care for anyone in the first game spare Wrex. They're all are kind of boring. Wrex was awesome. Took him everywhere.

shrekfan246:

See, and that's where my issues stem from. They set the seeds of a more fleshed-out personality, but never took it anywhere. And when we see her again, assuming she survives, she's like a completely different character (she even looks like a different character in 3).

Then we mostly agree! Hooray! :)

I just think that what was there was well done in the sense that its the farthest I've seen one relatively minor thing take a character... As for ME3, she was basically what she was in her short time in ME2 throughout the whole game. It sucked :/

In short Ashely= somewhere between okay and good for me :)

Certainly not worthy of some of the hate I've seen the character get.

Of all three games?

Probably Miranda. And not because of obvious reasons.

The reason I hate her is because he character had so much potential, and ended up being one of the blandest characters in the series.

I can forgive Kaiden, Ash, or Jacob for being bland, they were just bland from the ground up. But Miranda could have been so much more.

ShinyCharizard:
James Vega. He was just so pointless and uninteresting. Why did they even bother to put him in the game.

It was Bioware's way of adding a new character that would share the same perspective as new players to the franchise. I can understand where they were coming from, too bad he's just a lame character. I would have preferred a young and relatively inexperienced soldier (like a Jenkins) who develops throughout ME3. Instead, we get the meathead from Jersey Shore whose gimmick is coming up with nicknames for everyone.

Ashely who?
Oh you mean the one humie I met after the first mission and never EVER talked to again.
Yeah I really didn't like her, she was just... not interesting, she could have been something really cool, a reasoned resentment of aliens, an inner artist, etc etc etc, but she never really amounts to anything.
Then again I killed her in a second on Virmire, so maybe she is great in ME3?

I feel like James gets too much crap just because of his appearance. I found him to be one the most genuinely likeable characters in all three games. There's a lot more to his character than his muscles and his mohawk

I will have to go with Kaiden. Couldn't stand all of his sob stories and never took him on any of the missions/ planet explorations. I'd like to imagine that he had permanent latrine duty. That way, when he nobly sacrificed himself, blah blah blah, I couldn't really say I cared all that much about it. granted, Ashley wasn't exactly a winner either, but at least with her I could throw into a middle of a firefight and there would be a slight margin of chance she would be helpful.

Honestly, I have to go with Jacob on this one. Ashley isn't all that bad, just kinda pigeonholed into being "the racist" which she kinda grows out of. And I actually warmed to Kaidan, finally, over Ashley--he's actually pretty endearing if you romance him in the first game (even though he's useless as all fuck in combat.) Even Vega's got a bit of a sensitive side if you talk to him enough (and I imagine that I'm more inclined to do so than most, having several friends and family members in the military.)

But Jacob? Jesus. Blandy McBlandyfuckingstereotypepants from start to finish. I think it's just the fact that his voice actor did an asstastic job, though--Jacob's story is pretty interesting actually, if just another squadmate with daddy issues--but seriously, I half expected him to start unironically singing this because that's how his voice actor went about characterization. Ugh.

Vega. He's about the only squadmate I've never bothered to talk to. I tried once, he was doing pull ups and saying something like "look at me! Look how strong I am", I was already cringing, then he asks Shepard to a hokey fistfight. I quit there and then and never ever talked to him again.

Thane and Jacob are pretty terrible too. I didn't like Zaeed at first, but on subsequent playthroughs I found I had actually grown to like him.

I'm torn between Kaidan and Vega. Kaidan was just kind of a bitch, whereas Vega struck me as basically a Jersey Shore reject without any useful abilities. Ashley at least had a personality, as did Zaeed (not my favourite character, but he had style). Jacob was mediocre at best, and Miranda was just...eh.

Zaeed. Zaeed is the worst.

Followed closely by Jack.

Followed closely by EVERY ASARI EVER. Because fuck the Asari. Stupid blue space-elves.

Then, get a little bit if distance and start hating on the Biotics one by one, starting with Miranda, and slowly moving down on the "Full of themselves" list, with Wrex being last, because dammed if he didn't earn the right.

I don't hate any of the characters. Some, like Jacob, are boring to the extreme degree. But I don't see how that justifies hate.

Vega. It would be Jacob, but at least he's fun to take the piss out of. Vega is just...bleh. Nothing there.

shrekfan246:

The difference is that all of the other characters weren't defined by their daddy issues. Tali, Miranda, and Jacob all had quests directly tied to their parents, but they were other characters outside of that as well. There was more to them than "racist military girl with daddy issues".

What daddy issues were those? From what I remember, Ashley had the least Daddy issues of all the crew members. Besides speaking about her dad the least of any squadmember, the few times she did it was either in fondness over how he taught his daughters to fight or in bitterness at the military for how it treated him because of the last name he possessed. She's one of the few characters who had a healthy relationship with her father.

That's not to say she was a thrilling character, though. In fact, it might be one of the reasons she didn't really go anywhere. No daddy issues and her racism was pretty much solved by the beginning of act 3 of the first game.

I just plain didn't like Ashely and ignored Tali in the first games. I really, really didn't like Ashley in the second game and came to really dislike Tali as well. Both improved in my opinion in the third game. James Vega was one I didn't care for at first, but as I talked to him more, he grew on him. EDI I liked better as the ship-only AI than as a squad mate. But in the end, my most disliked I guess have to be Ashley and Tali.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked