12% (145)
James Vega
26.7% (322)
26.7% (322)
other (comment)
8.8% (106)
8.8% (106)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Most reviled Mass Effect squad mate?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Jack. Complete one-dimensional tool while she was a squadmate, and one of the most useless in combat despite being billed as an "uber biotic" (Samara and Liara are both better biotics, and Miranda/Kaidan are far superior skillset wise because of their tech abilities).

I was very pleased that in ME3 she was shown to have actually grown as a character as a result of Shepard's guidance, which made me hate her a lot less.

Zhukov:
Zaeed Messani.

You don't even know how much I agree with you. Terrible, soulless, boring character. The most interesting thing about him is the "personal note" in the Lair of the Shadow Broker, but that's too late and not enough.

I'm also indifferent about Kaidan and Jacob. Miranda is a good character with some bad moments. Samara and her black and white code is disappointing, especially because the game has much more interesting asaris (Aethyta, Aria, Liara etc).

I don't share this hatred for James Vega. He's likable, funny and has good banters with Cortez and Garrus. Just a simple guy who knew how to deal with his "dark and troubled past" without falling into the arms of Shepard.

And, finally, Ashley is very well written and one of the best squadmates. Yes, I'm serious. She reminds me of Anomen Delryn from Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn. Like him, she's irritating, naive, with a bad habit of making offensive comments, full of good intentions and complex emotions, but hard to like as a person. I think it's very human.

I'd have to go with Zaeed as well... though I'd hardly call him "reviled" he just really needed to be fleshed out better... I guess second would be Kaiden... not because I "revile" him but I just never found his arc in ME1 interesting (and seeing how he didn't survive in my prime playthrough and I have yet to do a second full playthrough of all 3 games I have a limited understanding of what he's like in 3).

I did dislike Miranda until I heard her final speech to the Illusive Man in ME2 when he's offering you your "choice", made me look at Miranda in a whole new light.

Who could possibly dislike Kaiden?
He's such a cool easy going guy, mechanically useless in the first game I get it, but he was the only character that was better written in the third game. And the only male romance option that wasn't a complete fucking waste of time.

Anyway mine is Miranda. She's a complete and utter bitch. And she's selfish and narcissistic and many other adjectives.

James "I know we literally just met, but we've been friends forever" Vega.

OR:

James "Remember all those good times we had that didn't exist?" Vega.

Probably Jacob. Every other character was either likable, or useful, or both. He was neither.

I'm a bit surprised so many people disliked James Vega. I thought out of all the Human Squadmates, he was pretty high up on the list in terms of good. And while throughout this series my opinions of Squadmates have changed, I've never really hated a character to a point. There are some that I just like better than others.

I bounce back and forth a bit with Ashley. I don't have too much of a problem with her racism or beliefs, and the way whe acted in ME3 about Cerberus was actually fine. For some reason the way her actress did some of her lines in regards to not trusting me (while it got a tad annoying), just hit a nice spot for me. On the flip side her romance, especially in 3, felt a little...blah to my tastes. Also since I was a Vanguard, I didn't particularly need her for anything. Felt some of the banter in ME3 with her was a bit bland as well when compared to others. So...I like talking to her as a person, but sometimes romance wise and combat wise I don't.

Kaiden I found completely boring. I mean, he was alright but I didn't particularly care for his past. Combat wise I didn't find him particularly useful. However, I find his romance with Shepard of either gender to be pretty nice actually, and he's definitely one of the nicest people you have around. Feel indifferent towards him now.

Jacob to me is the worst one. At least with Ashley and Kaiden I can see potential in them in alternate playthroughs. What does Jacob have combat wise? Nothing too spectacular really. He's only really good for his bonus power, but you would probably rather get someone else's like Grunt's or Legion's or something. And while he was nice and friendly to me...I never got a good grasp as to what kind of person he was. I guess I felt that he varied too much in what he said? I don't know. It might be that he comes off as a "nice guy whose really a jerk" type you know? Oh, and that romance of his? Whew. At least with other characters you knew what you were getting into. Him? Possibly the worst one in the series (and even his abs don't save it). Oh, and I don't know why, but I didn't really care for his Loyalty mission. Like, I know what happened was pretty bad, but I didn't connect with it at all like I did the others.

I hated Zaeed at first, mostly because of not having a dialogue wheel. But I found his stories entertaining, and it was nice to put him in his place during his Loyalty mission (Paragon FTW). Didn't use him too much in battle though.

Jack was a fine character, and it was nice to see her pop up in ME3. Slowly getting to know her past and some of her stories (both horrific and sometimes funny) was great. Romance isn't too bad either. Didn't bring her into battle too much, but when I did, she had a habit of going down like a sack of bricks. Her overall character arc is pretty good I think.

Miranda isn't too bad of a person either. While I found she tended to get a bit whiny in ME3 regarding her father, I felt it was understandable. She's not exactly a nice person, but she can be if she really tried. Her powers are also really good as well, especially if you want to do a higher difficulty. Her perfection issues are her occasionally snobbishness (aka bitchiness sometimes) as well as her "Cerberus isn't like that Shepard" attitude got annoying, but never to any extreme case. Felt she came full circle in ME3. Her romance is alright, but it could have certainly been better, especially in ME3.

Kasumi is hilarious. Didn't use her too much (although something tells me she might drop as fast as Jack would), but she has this really good Shadow Strike power or whatever. Also, the comments she makes about you and the crew are really good. Shame there wasn't more of her. Only bad part about her is that she is into...Jacob of all people. Eye candy wise I can totally see why but...Jacob? Really?

Finally, James. I like him a lot. He hits hard, his powers are pretty good, and he is all buddy buddy with me. Never found him annoying, and his banter on missions was pretty decent for the most part, especially when paired with someone like Garrus. Honestly, I was actually surprised when it turned out he wasn't a romance option. I find the little flirting between him and FemShep to be pretty funny too.

So...yeah. Worst squad mate for me has got to be Jacob, and among the Human ones he's definitely the worst. Not saying the Human Squadmates are bad (although I certainly don't think they are the best), but at least with the others there are some redeemable qualities to them.

Zhukov:
Zaeed Messani.

He's the only one that I can say I didn't like without qualification. There were a couple that I am indifferent towards (Jacob, Kaiden) but didn't particularly dislike. There were others that irritated me in some way (Miranda, Thane) but they all had some redeeming attributes or good moments.

Except Zaeed.

They just tried so painfully hard to make him a badass that it came off as silly. And it's not like there was any other attributes to his character.

"Then I murdered a whole prison colony of Batarians all by myself. And then I beat a Krogan with my bare hands!

Also, his mission was corny as fuck.

PS. Also, the fans have kind of made me dislike Tali, even though from ME2 onwards she was actually a decent character.

Meh, I'd say Tali gets more credit as a character than she should (She's basically space Kahlen.)

Personally, i'd say Miranda. A lot of the problems I have with her are actually prevalent throughout ME, side characters/antagonists having glaring flaws, gaps in logic or hypocrisies that we're not allowed to call them on is always a surefire way to irritate me, and this is most consistent with Miranda above all else.

BarbaricGoose:

OR:

Well that's basically Kaiden in a nutshell (More or less), though i'd argue that it is at least implied that Kaiden and Shepard know each other because they work on the same ship. It's never told to the player how James knows Shepard until a bit later in the game, by which time you've stopped caring.

I don't understand why they got rid of both Krogan squadmates and replaced them with James Vega, who is such a fucking boring character I wanted figure out a way to kill him in the game. I figured out ways to get Jacob and Tali out of my hair, but that damn Vega, he's always there. UGHH!

Devoneaux:

BarbaricGoose:

OR:

Well that's basically Kaiden in a nutshell (More or less), though i'd argue that it is at least implied that Kaiden and Shepard know each other because they work on the same ship. It's never told to the player how James knows Shepard until a bit later in the game, by which time you've stopped caring.

Well, I guess we'll see how Vega develops in 4. Oh wait, 4 isn't about Shepard, is it? I honestly don't remember, but I don't think it is. If it turns out to be about Vega, I'm gonna laugh--hard. And then I'm gonna deal with that erection. (Sorry, that was a stupid joke.)

Kaiden had 3 games to develop his character. So it kinda worked saying the he & Shepard were good buds; they had time to flesh that out. Frankly, I never loved Kaiden either, but I found Vega to be much more annoying. I didn't feel like I was being forced to enjoy Kaiden's company & take him along on missions, but I very much felt that way with Vega. I guess they wanted to get their money's worth with the famous actor behind him. Or, you know... kinda famous.

And Kaiden was just less of a stereotype, too. This sensitive, soft spoken guy, compared to Vega's super-macho "Made out of bricks & lightning, BRO!" marine type. Ugh.

Garrus god dammit I know I'm going to be the only one but he just annoys me for some reason that i can't put my finger on, maybe it because I can't find anything to dislike about him therefore making me dislike him due to sheer character perfectness >_<

Jacob omg he was so freaking boring at least Kaidan had his moments but Jacob...out the airlock!

My personal least favorite squad-mate in the trilogy is Garrus....said no one ever... These are my thoughts on the poll people.

>Kaidan Alenko: Just didn't really have any development and by the time the choice between Ashley and him came up, I flipped a coin to decide. They both meant nothing to me.

>Ashley Williams: Wish that coin would have landed differently! What an annoying be-otch. Looking forward to a certain point in the 3rd game when I can remedy my mistake of not letting her hold onto the bomb. -_- By far my LEAST FAVORITE CHARACTER!

>Jacob Taylor: Like Kaiden, he was just B.O.R.I.N.G. Also, him crying about his dad was just annoying.

>Miranda Lawson: Wanted to like her, but like someone else stated, she is First World Problems personified. And she is a bitch which doesn't really help things. Plus, I like Jack (really develops if you romance her in the ME2 plus all of her stuff in the 3rd I thought was awesome!) and whenever they fight, I always side with the bald biotic.

>James Vega: Once again like Kaiden and Jacob, he is just boring. Nothing really to his character and I never felt compelled to learn anything more about him.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But beyond those characters, I also didn't very much care for Zaeed, Jessica Chobot, or Tali.

>Zaeed: I love the entire idea behind Bounty Hunters (not sure why exactly, but it is probably due to Star Wars and my love of Westerns). But Zaeed just rubs me the wrong way. Don't like his character model, don't like his attitude, don't like his back story, and I don't find him very useful in combat.

>Jessica Chobot: I don't even need to explain this one.

>Tali: Can not stand this character and (once again) I am not really sure why. I think a large part of it is because of the fans that drool all over her for some reason. She can be ok at times but I guess I just never understood the appeal. I do not care for any of her backstory and she just always struck me as a boring character. Also, her race is probably my least favorite in the entire series (now I sound like Ash -_-). Not sure why, just don't like them. They all seem like jerks. At least with a race like the Krogan, you expect them to be dicks.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Favs = Garrus, Liara, Thane, Legion, and Jack.

Garrus. Daddy issues, inferiority complex, constantly fanboying it up, whining, complaining... ugh. I didn't even hug him at the end of 3.

His entire friendship with Shepard always came off as completely forced to me. "And then we'll meet up at the bar in heaven!" Oh fuck off, Garrus, you barely know me.

Personally, Kaiden makes my list simply because he seemed to be the least useful. He also complained a great deal. Jacob was similar in many respects but he doesn't make the list because he served a purpose beyond cannon fodder.

On the other hand, the struggle with racism is a part of what made Ashley an interesting character; moreover, her fundamental reason for being a racist is actually fairly reasonable and indeed proven largely correct at every turn. Hell, the only reason the other races didn't leave humanity to the wolves was because Shepherd personally corrected their thinking with countless examples of seat of the pants heroics.

Vega is, simply put, what every Marine infantryman I've ever met think they are - the model to which they aspire.

Miranda is perfectly fine with a useful power set and a character back story worth hearing. That she also features a notable character arc (Unlike Jacob/Kaiden) is a huge plus.

While I probably hate others class/character wise, Jacob was just horrible on both fronts. Not to mention how badly burned the few people who romanced him got ("Come on Shepard, did you really expect me to wait?" IT WAS SIX MONTHS DICKHEAD!! Kaidan waited two years for Shepard, and for all intents and purposes, Shep was dead!).

But yeah, it's a bit disheartening how many people are saying Kaidan (not to mention how pretty much everyone keeps spelling his name wrong). I mean damn, he's sexy! And dat voice! Liquid hot chocolate sex! ... that may say more about me than I'd like.

Zaeed.
He's just really unlike-able.
You do have some characters like Jack who are a bit of a twat but you like to hate them. Though I didn't care when she died in my ME2 walkthrough.

Zaeed is just a character I wish never existed.

I probably only 'liked' Jacob because he was the only human male companion in ME2 (pretending Zaeed doesn't exist) and I hope'd I'd see him topless.
Thingy bob in 3 I didn't mind. Though I didn't like how he had a relationship with Shepard before ME3 and I was expected to approve of it. Was forced-likingness.

Vega. He wasn't a bad character or annoying, but he felt shoved in and wasn't really necessary. Plus he seems ridiculously overdone with the muscles.

For me, it was definitely Miranda.

If she wasn't bragging about how completely badass and awesome she is, then she was moaning about how much it sucks to be completely badass and awesome. Regardless of which she was doing, chances are she'd also be simultaneously trying to promote her idiotic organization while the game's camera attempts to give her a colonoscopy.

And of course, then you'd actually get into combat with her, and suddenly *POOF* - all of her badassness and awesomeness that she'd just spent the last hour or so bragplaining about suddenly vanishes and she's the first one downed in every encounter after putting up practically no fight.

It bothers me to see that people hate on Jamese Vega. IMO it was the only human squadmate in the whole trilogy that was _really_ likable. I mean, he's a bit queer, but at least he's an OK guy. Kaidan is fine, but Jacob's character is nonexistent, while Kasumi has a few cool lines and all of a sudden everyone loves her. And don't get me started on I'm-so-edgey-Jack or I-am-perfect-boo-hoo-hoo-Miranda. Zaeed isn't really a character tbh, just a boast-speaker. They could've made him a black-knight version of Shepard, but let's be honest that both Kasumi and Zaeed are really underdeveloped.

I dislike Ashley as a person with a passion (bores me to tears), but wtf is with you guys declaring her racist and bigoted and shit? Man, she's cautious and distrusts the aliens, fine, but that's pretty well justified, what with father and grandfather partaking in wars against them? Besides, she's pretty rational about it, and point to me to _one_ racial slur from her in the entire trilogy... hard to find, aint they? She doesn't diss on aliens, she just distrusts them, finito.

If she were, as you say, racist, she would be all in Shepard's pants about him being in Cerberus. Yay, die Aliens.

And wtf with bigotry... I mean she makes one comment about believing in God, and saying that she hopes that ain't a problem with Shepard.

if "I believe in God" == Bigot, then "Die, heretics!"==? chill a bit guys.

Jacob despite (because of?) the priiize:

James, Ashley, Kaiden and Liara by the end of ME3... Honestly, I think I was reviled by every squad mate I got in ME3 that could have easily been one of the fun ones from ME2. I liked ME3 but no Jack, no Miranda, no Kasumi and no. Fucking. Mordin. Seriously, replace Kaiden/Ashley, James and Liara with ME2 squad mates... Hell, just give me them on top of the ME2 squadmates if you must force me to talk to Ashley...

While I was going to say Zaeed, I chose Vega after thinking about it for a few minutes.

Zaeed was randomly thrown into the series, and everyone in the game acknowledged this, acting as if they really just met this person.

Vega was randomly thrown into the series, and Shepard acted as if he had known him for his entire life and that they were best buds.

I dont get all the hate Ashley gets, i loved her, even romanced her in my first play, i know she's racist but that gives her a character, plus they really toned down on that by the third game, i like to think shepard changed her.
Also i thought miranda was great, and i actually thought vega was a great character, i think people only dislike him because he's the only character that was new to the companion list.
My most disliked is Jacob, the most bland boring character in a bioware game ever.
At least Kaiden had his being Bi to add to his personality, Jacob had nothing.
PLUS HE CHEATS ON FEMSHEP.
WHO DOES THAT SHIT?!

For me Personally, Its James Vega. Hes just kind of, there. He dosent contribute a damn thing to the team other then bieng just another Jarhead with muscles. Hell, I know Jacob gets a lot of flak, but at least he had an extremely interesting loyalty quest to flesh him out. Vega has nothing

Miranda

I know everyone says "Oh you just don't get her character"
Bollocks, shes a boring 2D cliched Sci Fi woman, who the men love for...

I've never used her in ME2 (apart from the missions when you don't have a choice) and her overlong mission in ME3 annoys the hell out of me!

Mr.Squishy:
Jack.
"BOOOHOOO I HAVE ISSUES CERBERUS WAS MEAN TO ME AND I CAN'T PUT MY EMO ON HOLD TO HELP SAVE THE FUCKING GALAXY"
Goddamnit I wanted to kick her out the nearest airlock.
I mean, James Vega was a million times better than her.

See. Now I never understood comments like this. People love to throw the "EMO" word around, but Jack's life really did kind of suck. Taken from her parents practically at birth, the only thing she knew for years before she escaped was torture. She was isolated from the other children, and when she was around them she was forced to duel them to the death. She was no doubt sexually abused in that facility as well.

And when she finally manages to escape, after killing a whole bunch of guards, the people on the outside she thinks she can trust, end up using her as well. I'd be a little bitter too after all that crap. Sure she was a foul mouthed bitch, but can't really blame her. My run through as Shepard, I never romanced her. Didn't think it would be best for her, but I did try and help her out and toward the end she wasn't so bad anymore.

Anyway, of all the people listed in the poll, I never hated any of them. I either liked them, or just found them uninteresting. EXCEPT JACOB. That bastard. In ME2 he just wasn't as interesting as the other characters, so he got overshadowed a bit, but I didn't hate him. Then in ME3 I find out that if you romanced him, doesn't matter what you do, after not seeing you for a few months he goes and knocks up some other chick. The irony being that in ME2, he's the ONLY love interest that actually comes out and says "I love you". (I didn't romance Jacob, but I saw the videos on youtube and found it horrible and hilarious all at the same time :P)

Jacob: "Did you expect me to wait forever Shepard?"
Shepard: "No but it would have been great if you waited at least 6 MONTHS!"

Because there's no Tali I'm going to have to go with Jacob for taking himself waaaay too seriously.

Aarowbeatsdragon:
I dont get all the hate Ashley gets, i loved her, even romanced her in my first play, i know she's racist but that gives her a character, plus they really toned down on that by the third game, i like to think shepard changed her.
Also i thought miranda was great, and i actually thought vega was a great character, i think people only dislike him because he's the only character that was new to the companion list.
My most disliked is Jacob, the most bland boring character in a bioware game ever.
At least Kaiden had his being Bi to add to his personality, Jacob had nothing.
PLUS HE CHEATS ON FEMSHEP.
WHO DOES THAT SHIT?!

I find myself in complete agreement with all of your points.

During the game I dumped Jacob before the whole cheating thing happened so I never knew about that. He packs a real sad when you dump him and goes all mopey. I just can't stand him.

soren7550:
While I probably hate others class/character wise, Jacob was just horrible on both fronts. Not to mention how badly burned the few people who romanced him got ("Come on Shepard, did you really expect me to wait?" IT WAS SIX MONTHS DICKHEAD!! Kaidan waited two years for Shepard, and for all intents and purposes, Shep was dead!).

But yeah, it's a bit disheartening how many people are saying Kaidan (not to mention how pretty much everyone keeps spelling his name wrong). I mean damn, he's sexy! And dat voice! Liquid hot chocolate sex! ... that may say more about me than I'd like.

EXACTLY! Jacob can't even wait SIX MONTHS (in fact it was less that six months because by the time you see him he already knows he's about to be a father), meanwhile EVERY other love interest in the game waits for you. Kaiden and Ashley (guess you can count Garrus and Tali too) all wait over 2 years, even thought you were "dead". Hell, even JACK, "I'll sleep with anything that moves!" JACK, even SHE waits for you! Thane is about to die and he still waits for you. He's a military man, used to being away from home and friends for months at a time, but when Shepard is "deployed", oh well, it's just not gonna work out. What the hell Jacob!?

I just love how Bioware took the stereotypical black guy route with Jacob in the end. Even if that wasn't their intention, that's how it looks.

I'd go with Jack. First off, I just can't understand the reasoning of the Illusive Man wanting her to be on board. Let's see, she's a psychotic criminal, doesn't handle authority very well. Is a really powerful biotic. Oh, and she hates Cerberus and wants to kill them. Let's put her on the Cerberus mission that might decide the fate of humanity. Brilliant! To say nothing of her abrasive personality and every time she would say something just reinforced the idea I had that she was just some dumb thug who didn't have anything interesting to say.

Vega just seemed like a one note "bro dude" with the hides deep problems under thick skin personality. Ya... shocker.

Also, why is Kaidan on the list? Sure he was a bitch in ME2 but he actually seems like a really decent guy in ME3.

I can't say that I hated/"reviled" any of the characters. There were a couple that I found to just be uninteresting slot-fillers and I never used them, but I didn't dislike any of them.

ME1: Ash. Sorry Ash, I liked how you stood out from the pack as being very openly Christian. I think that doing so showed a bit of courage on the part of Bioware to stick someone openly religous like that in a game. However in ME 1 I just really had no use for a Soldier. If I, myself, wasn't playing as a Soldier, I'd much rather have Wrex as my "tank".

ME2: That guy who hung out in the gun locker room....
Oh yeah, Jacob was his name. Completely and totally forgettable character. He never made waves, seemed like he never really wanted to talk to you, never had any impact on the story whatsoever. Hell, at least Zaaed was connected to one of the merc bands you're fighting throughout ME2, Jacob could have been cut from the game out-right and you would have never noticed. Can't really think of any other characters that you could outright cut from the game and not lose at least some parts of the story (be it in ME2 or ME3). This excludes the DLC characters Zaaed and Kasumi since they weren't technically part of the story to begin with.

ME3: Dirty ol' Jimmy Vega. Like Ash, I never had a specific problem against him. Sure he was a complete and total meat-head, but in the game where I forced myself to bring him along on every mission just so I could hear what his dialogue were (it literally took me 10 playthroughs before I used him anywhere before the first 10 minutes of the Mars mission), I came to find out that he actually has some decent lines. But like with Ash: I just never had a use for a soldier squadmate in any of the games. If I was using an Adept or Vanguard, I'd have 2 biotics with me to help set up the explosions. For all the other classes, Garrus was my wingman (give him a Javelin and he becomes a Hand of God, blasting down foes in a single shot) and Liara just cause she's mah sexy asari wife. :3

But like I said, I didn't hate any of the characters, just those were my three that I never, ever used.

I suppose you could lump Kaiden in there too for ME1 and 3. Kaiden's problem was that I already had my fill with his character in Knights of the Old Republic.

Oh wait, that was Carth Onasi, coulda fooled me. :P

While there's nothing wrong with re-using voice actors for your different game series, but at least make him play a slightly different character. In KotOR and ME, that guy plays the role of the goody-two-shoes moral barometer for your character. To be fair, though, with a voice like his I really can't picture him trying to play a hardass.

I choose Ashley. I didn't like her after the conversations I've had with her in the first game. Although, I don't know whether she gets better in the second or at least third game because, well, she never gets back from Virmire when I play.

Ziame:
I dislike Ashley as a person with a passion (bores me to tears), but wtf is with you guys declaring her racist and bigoted and shit?

I think it largely come from one line in ME1 on her thoughts on the aliens that goes along the lines of "If you and your dog are cornered by a bear, and the only way to make it out alive was to sick you dog onto it, you'd do it because it's not human."
In other words, she's saying that the alien species in her eyes are no better than animals.

There's also another line of hers where she complains about 'those aliens' being allowed on the ship, citing that they would probably send information on the ship to their enemies/their people (clearly forgetting that the Normandy was a joint human/turian project) because they were aliens.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here