12% (145)
James Vega
26.6% (322)
26.6% (322)
other (comment)
8.7% (105)
8.7% (105)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Most reviled Mass Effect squad mate?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Miranda. She's arrogant, works for Cerberus, her character arc is really rushed, she's the one that forces you to work for Cerberus, and there's no real way to tell her off. Jacob is less annoying but less interesting. Kaiden was boring, but at least he wasn't annoying.

I actually liked Ashley and James. I like the blue-collar soldier archetype, so I thought James was pretty cool once you get past his godawful character design. And I actually really liked Ashley- I thought her religious belief was a subtle little jab at the stereotypical "beyond such petty superstitions" in sci-fi.

Different plays and different concepts I liked different characters more - but I never liked Jacob. Simple reason really: I play Female Shep exclusively and every single time I talk to Jacob after the initial "hi who are you" he acts like I am trying to hump his leg. Granted, without any input from me, Shep acts like she wants to - but that's not my choice and a casual "hey how are things in the armory" should not translate into "please give me the business" just because he's the only human male around in ME2. Total failure on the execution of the whole character to player relationship with the assumption that he will be the romantic default.

I liked James all around. Only gripe was inability to romance him, but I get that there are some legitimate reasons to keep that door closed. (It's the final mission, who has time to kindle new flames? He's a subordinate, he's not looking for a friend for the end of the world, etc. etc. whatever). Fem shep could have used some more male romance partners (we have a disproportionate amount of lady options) but it wasn't something that ruined the character for me or anything.

Runner up for most annoying for me would be Miranda - especially her execution in ME3 where she's shoehorned into something major that she could have and should have told me about much earlier on if we were actually friends from ME2. She's a little one-dimensional for me as well, but I've never had the opportunity to romance her so I'm not sure what deviation that provides possibly for the better.

Oh, and I am not accounting for the lesser characters like the reporter or Kasumi and Z etc. They are meant to be minor and background more than they are meant to be full on squad mates or real characters. If I thought of them included I'd have to think about the Council and Udina and all the other random folk we meet and then it's too many options to really pick from.

Miranda. Maybe it was because Jack reminded me of the people I hung out with in High School.
But Miranda and her genetically scolpted smug ass just get annoying.

Fuckin' Ashley.

Couldn't stand the racist bitch in ME1, still couldn't stand her in ME2, and by ME3 I had to ask myself, "Wait, why did I save her again? Oh yeah, because she was the only other sexable squadmate for me besides Liara." She's so blinded by her idiotic patriotism that she cannot see the necessity of Shepard's joining Cerberus to stop the Collectors. And then, when you're literally fighting Cerberus, she's still wondering if you know what they're planning, almost as if she was fucking accusing y-OH WAIT, SHE WAS!

No, screw her. If I'd had the choice again, I'd have let her rot. I had meant to go back and save Kaiden in a new playthrough before ME2 came out, but I put it off and ended up going with my Ashley save.

Miranda's bitchy attitude almost landed her in second. I'm not sure why everyone found her so hot, I thought she had a man-face.

The best is hands-down Garrus. Like no question. Garrus and Wrex.

I'm not sure where the hate for James comes from. I mean yeah, he's a stereotype of a soldier, but I found his asking you about what he should do about being asked to join the N7 program kind of endearing. He looked up to Shep as both a mentor and a leader.

James Vega. His voice, attitude and being forced to take him with me just grated on me. On Palaven's moon when he responds with "the reapers are bigger on Earth". The universe is being destroyed mate, it's not a fucking competition. I tried to like him by talking to him but no, should of had the option on the Citadel to send him back to Earth like you can piss off Ashley and Kaiden after the coup.

Ashley I really disliked with the religious space racist attitude. Though she brought out an emoitional response from me so that made her somewhat interesting. At least in the third game she didn't blame me for pointing a gun at my head, unlike Kaiden.

Kaiden and Jacob were just boring not really their fault. They made sure there was allways someone on the Normandy for the crew to talk to.

Jack, I love a bald chick with tattoos but her "nobody could be hurt as much as me because I am hurt" logic kind of put me off. And the only way you can help her get over stuff is to romance her, and there is no female romance. So sorry Jack, drinks at my place and a friendly hug?

I ended up liking Miranda her skill set was really usefull, but I mostly liked her because she was Aussie. I thought yay! There is at least one Australian in the future. Though my Shepard is Aussie but being a colonist she grew up with the North American space accent.

I love pretty much everyone else, especialy Mordin, Liara, Garrus Tali, Thane and Wrex.

Also Joker. Bitch gets me killed in the start of ME2 and we're now BFF's? I don't think so.

Miranda, Jack, Ashley, and Liara were among my favorite characters.

My least favorite squad mate is technically Morinth, but since I always had Samara pop her like the zit that she was, I guess my vote goes to Garrus by default, since he has... pretty much zero depth as a character. Even then, I still liked him. He was cute.

soren7550:

Ziame:
I dislike Ashley as a person with a passion (bores me to tears), but wtf is with you guys declaring her racist and bigoted and shit?

I think it largely come from one line in ME1 on her thoughts on the aliens that goes along the lines of "If you and your dog are cornered by a bear, and the only way to make it out alive was to sick you dog onto it, you'd do it because it's not human."
In other words, she's saying that the alien species in her eyes are no better than animals.

Um, you do realise that in her allegory, the human=Council, and the dog=Alliance? That's what bothers me, people misinterpret what she's saying. The line preceding this allegory is "As noble as the Council is now, if their backs are against the wall, they'll abandon us". Furthermore, she clearly states that we shouldn't mistreat aliens (same dialogue), just be prepared to live without them.
We have to remember that Council did ditch the weaker races: Batarians got their asses handed to them by Alliance, Alliance invaded by Batarians - Council didn't really react to that now, did they.

soren7550:
There's also another line of hers where she complains about 'those aliens' being allowed on the ship, citing that they would probably send information on the ship to their enemies/their people (clearly forgetting that the Normandy was a joint human/turian project) because they were aliens.

That's what I was saying - distrust, not hate. Besides, let's imagine it's a non-sci-fi situation.

We are on American ship, co-developed with Japanese engineers. You are one of the marines on that ship, and the commander just let a Russian, an Iraqi and a Chinese aboard saying "Do as you please". Wouldn't you be a bit distrustful? US and Russia/Iraq/China isn't biggest friends, is it. Same in Mass Effect: Humans and Turians aren't buddy-buddy, Krogans are widely known as warmonging savages, Quarians as thieves with a knack for tech and Asari as manipulative weirdos.
Best thing is, Ashley didn't have any experience with Aliens up until ME, but tbh neither did Shepard.
Now, who's the idiot here? Ever-trusting Shepard, or cautious Ashley?

I'll have to go with the flow here and pick Vega. He didn't add a thing to the game for me, he was bland and uninteresting, and came into the story way too late to build any kind of connection with. Jacob is a close second; sure he's nagging and bugging me all the way through ME2, but at least he had a sort-of interesting sindequest.

James Vega is a snore. and I certainly did not appreciate the nickname he tried to give to my Shephard.

Why is James on this list at all? More to the point, why is he being voted the highest? James was awesome, he was one of my favourite squad-mates! Particularly his squadmate banter, which was some of the funniest stuff in the game.

Jacob's probably the least liked overall, but I never had a problem with him myself. I tried to like Miranda and Ashley but they didn't make it easy with their respective smugness and casual xenophobia. Samara's probably the least compelling overall. Either that or Grunt but at least he gets to kick a little ass now and again.

Jack: Tunadre character- I felt the emo-ness was somehow intended to inspire something other then a "good intent cerberus, but we're gonna space this one" Not to mention a point a friend brought up, Massively powerful characters make terrible minions as the scaling back makes them pathetic. In short- the rage got so very old.

Miranda: "Perfect" then why was her face fuck ugly? plus the self pity and confidence issues got severly old after a while. If she really mellowed out after a bit and stuck around in 3 I'd dig that.

Tali: In 1 she was odd, a little quirky and fun. A person I genuinely wanted to help with her technical know-how a pleasant bonus. By the start of two I imagine my Shep was running on fumes and nerve- the very worst time to be doubted and picked apart by somebody I had devoted a good deal of time and energy helping and getting to know. Even the crazy man, Tali -should- of understood Shep's intentions where for the greater good, -should- of trusted me but one look at the Cerb sticker and all prior experience goes out the window

(A running theme, I loathed even the mention of Cerberus coming from most given I could never properly explain that they gave me a new Fucking life and so I kinda owe standing and you all owe each breath to those bastards)

"Garrus" More a case of ignorance and apathy here, I didnt find him thrilling as a character in one with Wrex right there so he never got the face time to matter. By two he was "that guy" people seemed to like but whom I still knew little about. A cascade effect that took a good while to fix. In the end his not bad- the most stable and rational character. Just not amazing for me.

Jacob: His black, your fostered with him off the bat- his boring, his kaiden 2.0 minus any remotly good storys to tell

Ashley: Where to start? lets just say everything from the moment I met her down to the point in ME3 where her miracle makeover and unending doubts forced me to restart and load up my kaiden file made me loathe that annoying cunt. The doubt was the worst part. If I met her in two she bitches out and I can't give her the answer I want, in three its line after line after line of idiot questioning. At least Kaiden kinda-sorta got the point after a while. To the point where I felt annoyed-bad for shooting him but no, Ashley never lets up.

Meat-bro: "No james, I've been in prison for a year, my ship has been gutted, the last few years of blood and toil I put forth to save you all has amounted to exactly nothing. My sand addiction is acting up and the pressure of being The Last Hope is already making me crack. So no- you may fucking now call me "lola" not unless you want me to turn you inside out" My shep being a rather fragile bundle of issues be ME3 and this tool only made me want kaiden back.

I've mentioned kaiden a lot here..I did not exactly like him, but he was the sort of person I could see keeping around. His got experience even if his crushingly bland most of the time. I enjoyed learning about his experiences, he was the kind of character I'd go out of my way to help. But only while in a good mood and mostly he'd be avoided the rest of the time.

I wanted to push Vega out the airlock after he started using a nickname (especially when there was no "Stop doing that. I mean it." option. The annoying meathead made me forget what I disliked about the other squad mates because they all seemed like deep interesting characters with rich (back)stories

Ziame:

soren7550:

Ziame:
I dislike Ashley as a person with a passion (bores me to tears), but wtf is with you guys declaring her racist and bigoted and shit?

I think it largely come from one line in ME1 on her thoughts on the aliens that goes along the lines of "If you and your dog are cornered by a bear, and the only way to make it out alive was to sick you dog onto it, you'd do it because it's not human."
In other words, she's saying that the alien species in her eyes are no better than animals.

Um, you do realise that in her allegory, the human=Council, and the dog=Alliance? That's what bothers me, people misinterpret what she's saying. The line preceding this allegory is "As noble as the Council is now, if their backs are against the wall, they'll abandon us". Furthermore, she clearly states that we shouldn't mistreat aliens (same dialogue), just be prepared to live without them.
We have to remember that Council did ditch the weaker races: Batarians got their asses handed to them by Alliance, Alliance invaded by Batarians - Council didn't really react to that now, did they.

soren7550:
There's also another line of hers where she complains about 'those aliens' being allowed on the ship, citing that they would probably send information on the ship to their enemies/their people (clearly forgetting that the Normandy was a joint human/turian project) because they were aliens.

That's what I was saying - distrust, not hate. Besides, let's imagine it's a non-sci-fi situation.

We are on American ship, co-developed with Japanese engineers. You are one of the marines on that ship, and the commander just let a Russian, an Iraqi and a Chinese aboard saying "Do as you please". Wouldn't you be a bit distrustful? US and Russia/Iraq/China isn't biggest friends, is it. Same in Mass Effect: Humans and Turians aren't buddy-buddy, Krogans are widely known as warmonging savages, Quarians as thieves with a knack for tech and Asari as manipulative weirdos.
Best thing is, Ashley didn't have any experience with Aliens up until ME, but tbh neither did Shepard.
Now, who's the idiot here? Ever-trusting Shepard, or cautious Ashley?

Keep in mind, it's been a few years since I last played ME1, so my memory is a bit rusty.
Re-watching the scene

yeah, it seems that the dog analogy thing she is referring to the Council, but the Council doesn't drop weaker races. The only times the Council dropped races was with the quarians (for violating Council law by creating the geth), and the krogans (for the Krogan Rebellions). The batarians left because they didn't like the preferential treatment the Council was giving humanity.
Humanity is hardly weak. On the contrary, humanity was put on the fast track to have a seat on the Council because of their military might, technological advancements, and their sheer willpower.

But I still stand by the second line. As she said when asked about if she trusts the Alliance's allies "I'm not sure if I'd call the Council races allies."
Which would be like if I said if I didn't trust America's allies because they're not me and mine. Which is racist. "What's that? You're German? Nope, don't trust you on account of the fact you're not American, even though you want to achieve a common goal with me and our governments are allies."

I'm putting my vote down for Vega, not because he was a bad character, but because he so {i]boring.[/i] Why they included him as a squadmate in ME3 is beyond me when they were plenty of other, more interesting characters to choose.

EDI too, I liked her better as the ship AI rather than seeing her struggle with a pretty-uncomfortable-to-watch romance with the pilot of the ship.

Kaiden, because fuck you, Carth Onasi. Seriously, that's the reason I kill him every time I play ME1. Renegade, Paragon, whatever. Doesn't matter. Death to Carth Onasi.

Was no big fan of Ashley, either. But she gets a pass for two reasons. 1) Ash Williams = Bruce Campbell. I only wish I could take away all of her other guns and make her only use the shotgun. 2) Not. Carth. Onasi.

For me it was Jacob....a close second was Vega, unless i had to i did'nt take them on missions...because when they were both on the ship there were more interesting characters to take, in the first game probably Kaiden...because fuck you Carth!

But then pretty much Garrus was the only guy in my team all of the time, on a side point i watched an episode of Criminal Minds which he was in, was weird to put a face to the name.

Professor Lupin Madblood:
I despise both Miranda and Kasumi, but Miranda slightly more so. Kasumi . . . Oh, Kasumi. Whose idea was it to add in a motherfucking cat burglar in an age where there are scanners capable of picking up DNA from skin flakes? I mean, shit, the archetype is cliched as all hell in normal fiction, Jesus.

"And then I stole everything in the galaxy! And then I replaced it all with exact copies and nobody noticed!"

Zhukov:
Zaeed Messani.

Bitch you'd best not be talkin' shit 'bout my waifu or I swear I will CUT you.

They just tried so painfully hard to make him a badass that it came off as silly. And it's not like there was any other attributes to his character.

"Then I murdered a whole prison colony of Batarians all by myself. And then I beat a Krogan with my bare hands!

[nerdrage]
Okay, one, he only murdered his way OUT of a Batarian prison, not a prison colony. Two, plenty of people have beaten Krogan like that. Garrus has. Hell, Shepard can do it by hitting them with his elbow.
[/nerdrage]

Sorry, but I'm playing back through ME2 right now, so, yeah . . .

I guess you didn't take him along with you a lot? He's not quite as cardboardy if you do.

Zaeed talking in the ship is funny; Zaeed talking about how working security removes any connection to killing people, how working for every contract really makes him think about what he's doing and why is surprisingly deep. He has depth, or hints of it, at least, but it is pretty easy to miss. Not to mention his cherished rifle,Jesse. We even learn he helped found the Blue Suns. That is cool.

Also, his mission was corny as fuck.

It . . . it wasn't that corny . . .

I know,right? It was him wanting revenge,and getting to see him kill the guy "Fry,you son of a b!+@h." was just SOOOOOO cool.

Honestly, I can't pick from the poll list. They were all annoying twats that got on my nerves. :/

Wrex, Mordin, Legion, Saeed and (of course) Garrus are the best. <3

Smeggs:
Fuckin' Ashley.

Couldn't stand the racist bitch in ME1, still couldn't stand her in ME2, and by ME3 I had to ask myself, "Wait, why did I save her again? Oh yeah, because she was the only other sexable squadmate for me besides Liara." She's so blinded by her idiotic patriotism that she cannot see the necessity of Shepard's joining Cerberus to stop the Collectors. And then, when you're literally fighting Cerberus, she's still wondering if you know what they're planning, almost as if she was fucking accusing y-OH WAIT, SHE WAS!

No, screw her. If I'd had the choice again, I'd have let her rot. I had meant to go back and save Kaiden in a new playthrough before ME2 came out, but I put it off and ended up going with my Ashley save.

Miranda's bitchy attitude almost landed her in second. I'm not sure why everyone found her so hot, I thought she had a man-face.

The best is hands-down Garrus. Like no question. Garrus and Wrex.

I'm not sure where the hate for James comes from. I mean yeah, he's a stereotype of a soldier, but I found his asking you about what he should do about being asked to join the N7 program kind of endearing. He looked up to Shep as both a mentor and a leader.

Get out of my head! :O
I was going to post my thoughts, but I'm just giving everything you said a +1.

Miranda Lawson. God that chipmunk-toothed, Michael-Jackson-faced bimbo. Here's the thing, from what I understand Jack has had a ton more sex than Miranda, but I'd still sooner call Miranda a slut. And let's not get into her superior-than-thou complex. I could write tomes on that shit. Dear god, I was so glad to see her die at the end.

I went with Ashley but i never really cared for jack either. I think that's probably because i missed out on the 'no one left behind' achievement because of her.

Well, my thoughts on the subjects are mixed. I picked Kaiden because really he struck me as being kind of pointless his "sentinel" skill set wasn't that great especially seeing as the AI couldn't use it's abillities too terribly well. Mostly he existed to act as a femshep romance option and fill out some of the information about biotics, how they functioned, and how they were treated in the military/society.

To be honest I like Ashley. You have to understand that given the way the game is set up "The Council" has been heavily mistreating humanity and constantly gets in your way. In the big picture Alien species are either getting in your way politically and messing things up, or whining about how despite this humanity is getting so much special treatment. It doesn't make sense for the crew of an Earth vessel to be all peachy on aliens, and to me Ashley had one of the more realistic attitudes given the backstory of the game, and oftentimes voiced a lot of my own thoughts, even when I was playing Paragon and trying to do things the right way. Understand the game hardly puts you into a position where the desician on whether or not to save the council has liking them or their point of view as a factor, on a personal level they kind of set it up where even if it's wrong letting them die kind of feels good for being such a group of putzes. Also in her overall storyline she DOES chill out a lot as she works with aliens, but it wouldn't be realistic for her entire point of view to change over the relatively short span of the game. Given the socio-political climate in the next games and that she's working for earth military still, and the way the council is treating earth (leaving human colonies to fend for themselves) her PoV is incredibly realistic. One thing you'll notice is that she's apalled by Cerberus despite her pro-earth leanings, which shows that she's changed considerably due to her experiences by the time of ME2 though still very much an earth loyalist. At one time she would have been a perfect recruit for them.

When it comes to Zaeed, who is under a lot of discussion, I will say that he's a DLC character intended to be a perk for buying the game. His general lack of depth seems to come from the fact that he's an "also ran" intended to not be an integral part of the story. What's more he's intentionally a stereotype of the hard, jaded, mercenary, meant to balance out the crew conceptually. In general the idea of ME2 was supposed to be collecting galactic hardcases and vagabonds in a sort of "Seven Samurai meets The Dirty Dozen" quest. Almost nobody on the crew fits the role of the stereotypical space merc you'd expect... just about everyone is fairly clean cut from one military organization or another (even if a former member), Jack starts out as a stereotypical hardcase (like a female Riddick with psionics) but goes into the whole "reform" arc when you learn her tragic past. Zaeed is pretty much a vicious piece of work that stays a vicious piece of work through the entire thing... probably the character that best fit the atmosphere they were going for initially. Being a stereotype is not a bad thing in a story, you need your baselines so those that deviate from it can stick out.

Vega was just kind of there, but I thought that was sort of the point. When your on what amounts to an Earth military ship, having marines to do missions with makes a degree of sense. To be honest he struck me as exactly the kind of character that would get set along from earth to help Shepard. Being fairly stereotypical was kind of the point, a lot like Zaeed. I'll also say that Vega and Ashley are two of the characters the computer does the best job of playing effectively because their abillities are a huge pile of stats and it all comes down to shooting. While the AI did get better at handling companion powers and biotics since the first game (where it was terrible) it could still be fairly awkward, I actually found the straight fighters (Grunt, Ashley, Vega) throughout the entire series to be the best AI companions since they were hard to kill and the computer couldn't really mess them up too badly when they were doing such nasty things with their basic attacks.

Jacob was okay, his mission on the planet to find his father was a nice change of pace, and he filled the role of a "basic cerberus soldier" pretty well, acting as a decent counterpart to Miranda's "administrative dynamo" command persona. Between the two of them they gave a decent Cerberus prescence and the aspects of the organization. To be honest I thought Jacob's barrier power was a decent one to learn, but there were better fighter/biotic hybrids. The problem with Jacob and Miranda, and to a lesser extent Jack (despite criticisms I think the AI played her fairly well) was of course the AI using their diverse skill sets. I wound up using the Justiciar during ME2 for a lot of it for my "biotic support" because really having an Assault Rifle is one of the things the computer has a hard time screwing up.

soren7550:
Mighty Snip of Justice

Well to be honest, Wrex is a Krogan, so he's in no way an Alliance's Ally (that sounds redundant), not being a council race and all, same goes with Tali, the Quarian. Furthermore Wrex is a mercenary and Tali is a kiddo from a species known as thieves :]

As for Turian, Garrus - first thing Turians did when they encountered Humans was to attack them, and basically whole family of Ashley's fought them, so that's justified, now isn't it. A bit like asking a Russian in 1947 if he would trust a German.

Liara, the Asari is the last to join, so we can opt her out of the equation - the dialogue may be obtained whether or not she's in the crew :]

Council is just a form of government. Even in EU all the countries belonging to the community will foremost care for their own nations.

Ashley is more of a cynic than a racist. She doesn't trust anyone, bar the Alliance.

Batarians were given the finger by the council, same with Quarians. Not that they didn't deserve it, but humanity founding colonies in Terminus may count as deserving it :]

While I had one moment where I found Ashley annoying (I WAS LITERALLY DEAD! OF COURSE I COULDN'T TALK TO YOU!), the only person on this list who really bothered me was Miranda. And ho-boy did she make up for it. There was nothing I liked about her. Her looks (something felt very...off about her appearance), her attitude, her attempts to seize more authority that was given to her and try and rub it in people's faces ("Shepard's second in command? Did I miss a memo? And you think a psychotic serial killer with a particular hatred of your specific organization is going to respond well to "we follow orders"? EDI, prep the air lock. We're moving Miranda's office in there. For efficiency's sake.").

Ugg. The hypocrisy was also annoying, what with wanting to brain wash you when she was trying to get out from daddy's control. At least she copped to that in ME3 though. Still, GRR.

Vega. Instead of having a krogan character, we were given this fuckin' idiot for no reason. Grunt should have been in his place. Or Wrex!

Jacob, followed closely by Ashley.

Of the ME1 human party members Kaiden actually seems to have some depth to him. Ashley is just angry untrusting, and generally a pain in the ass.

Vega gets way too much flack in my opinion. Sure he looks like a musclehead, and comes off as such, but the more you dig the deeper his character becomes, a lot like a real person would be as you get to know them. Honestly I think that people are just sore about Vega because ME3 had a much smaller cast of party members than ME2 and Vega became the poster boy for all the great characters people missed from the previous games.

Jacob, there's no excuse for Jacob... When I came across him in ME3 I just glared at my TV. "If you put this loser back in my party I swear I will find some way to permanently end his life"

For the worst squadmate...hmm...I guess I'd have to say Vega. Everyone else I took with me at some point (though default squad was always Garrus and Tali/Liara), but never got on with him. Didn't have a problem with the character, just never found him useful I guess.

There's only one companion that I actually hate in all the games: Morinth. She may garner a small amount of sympathy, but to date I have never chosen her over Samara. Every other squadmate I actually like, or at worst feel amiably ambivalent about. I like Ash because of the character development she goes through in the first and third games, and Kaidan never gives me a reason to dislike him. Jacob is 'meh' at worst, but he does have some interesting story and development in him. Miranda, much like Ash, gets some hardcore character development to her as well, until she's almost a completely different person by the start of the third game. And I didn't really find James all that bland to begin with.

Let's just say that despite some heavy risk from other characters, Jacob got the prize of being my least loved character because unlike those others who are just badly executed, he's not even a coherent concept. His actions and motivations veer from "nice guy" to "badass" without any explanation as to why or how either is a part of his character. Plus his romance was somewhere between cheesy and creepy on my radar.

That said.. I really respect the fact that they had him go off and fuck someone else in ME3 even if you romanced him, because it at least showed some fucking balls on the part of the writers.

I actually like Vega.. I bought that he had this whole macho tough guy thing going but deep down he's a big harmless kid who is still excited he gets to go into space and drive hovertanks, and I found that believable and thus endearing. Even if that's quite simple, it's still a multifaceted character who actually works. The two halves of his persona aren't competing for space in the script, one kind of flows into the other quite organically.

Jacob I suppose. He was alright I suppose but he was probably the character that I was least interested in for the whole trilogy.

My party almost always consisted of Garrus and Wrex. Bros 4lyfe.

Vega would be my least favorite, until I saw this scene.
Now he has earned a place; so my vote goes to Kaidan.

I think i googled to find which person died on the suicide mission in me1 just so i could make sure i sent ashley to her death.

i do not care for racisim, so she won out in me1.

kaiden is whiney emo and spend most of 2 raging at you for picking the only option in town. but he does get some redemption in 3 at lest and we end the whole cereberus/you thing. just wish shep had a option to tell kaiden to go fuck himself bout that in game 2, if you did the side missions in ME, you could have told him tons about cereberus and i liked working for them less than he liked me working for them.

vega is a solid enough character if you bother to get to know the guy at all.

jacob i liked decently in 2 not my fav but he had moments, but me3 when you say come back give us a hand, and hes like skrew it, really? if we fail out here you are all dead, every last man woman and child in the galaxy you all. i think its a pretty cheesy thing to say naw i will sit this out if you ask him.

Vega would've been my top worst for being so bland alone, but I would say Jacob is worse still. I felt his back story was really boring in comparison to the other companions and didn't really develop much as a character.

OpticalJunction:
The reporter from Mass effect 3, I don't recall her name. I liked the idea of a reporter on board, it had potential, however they ruined it by giving her that slutty dress and having her be voiced by an amateur.

This. So much this.

All the other characters had something, they might not have compared to the most interesting ones but they had something. Even Jacob or Vega would've been a pretty decent companion in most any other game, he's interesting enough for that, but just falls short of the other companions.

Miss boobs, or whatever she was called, was horrible and would've been horrible even in another game where she was the only companion.

Though I guess she's not technically a squad mate, but still... She's the only one I actually think made the game worse instead of simply not improving it.

Ziame:
Well to be honest, Wrex is a Krogan, so he's in no way an Alliance's Ally (that sounds redundant), not being a council race and all, same goes with Tali, the Quarian. Furthermore Wrex is a mercenary and Tali is a kiddo from a species known as thieves :]

While not a council race, the krogan still abide by their laws, as do the quarians. Also, saying that Tali is untrustworthy because she's from a race known as thieves is pandering to a false stereotype.
Plus, they devoted themselves to your cause, putting aside their own lives to help. Multiple times. Yeah, ain't they untrustworthy.

As for Turian, Garrus - first thing Turians did when they encountered Humans was to attack them, and basically whole family of Ashley's fought them, so that's justified, now isn't it. A bit like asking a Russian in 1947 if he would trust a German.

The reason why the turians attacked because humanity was using dormant relays, which is a big no-no in the Council's laws. Humanity fought back good and hard, and both races were evenly matched. After the end of the First Contact War (which in reality, wasn't much of a war and not many casualties were had), there weren't any more conflicts between the turians and human, although animosity did exist between some that were still bitter about the war. The only members of Williams' family that was involved in the war was her grandfather, and he surrendered during Shanxi, which is why her family name was blacklisted. The war ended over thirty years before the start of Mass Effect. Most everyone you deal with are over it, save for Saren (who blames the Alliance for his brother's death) and Ashley (whose family is given crappy postings due to the actions of her grandfather). So this is nothing like asking a Russian to trust a German two years after yet another World War that combined claimed over 100 million lives total.

Council is just a form of government. Even in EU all the countries belonging to the community will foremost care for their own nations.

The Council dose care about all the races that are apart of them, it's just that for a relatively small incident such as Eden Prime, they can't really devote so many resources to because they have trillions of others they have to worry about. So what do they do? They send in a small group (Shep & co.) in to deal with the problem. In ME2, they couldn't do anything about the disappearing human colonies because the colonies were outside of their jurisdiction.

Ashley is more of a cynic than a racist. She doesn't trust anyone, bar the Alliance.

Hardly. She's made clear that she doesn't trust the Council & non-Council races because she's still bitter about what happened with her grandfather and Shanxi.

Batarians were given the finger by the council, same with Quarians. Not that they didn't deserve it, but humanity founding colonies in Terminus may count as deserving it :]

*A-hem*

Mass Effect Wika - Batarian:

"In the early 2160s, humans began to colonize the Skyllian Verge, a region the batarians were already actively settling. The batarians asked the Citadel Council to intervene and declare the Verge an area of "batarian interest". When the Council refused, the batarians closed their Citadel embassy and severed diplomatic and economic relations, becoming an inward-looking rogue state."

Mass Effect Wiki - Quarian:

"Shortly thereafter [the Morning War], the Council stripped the quarians of their embassy as punishment for their carelessness, though a treaty was agreed upon forbidding an attack on the geth in order to avoid provoking them."

So, one left because they wanted a huge chunk of space roped off as theirs, and the other was kicked out because they broke a huge ass law. How were they given the finger again?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked