12.1% (146)
James Vega
26.6% (322)
26.6% (322)
other (comment)
8.7% (105)
8.7% (105)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Most reviled Mass Effect squad mate?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Liara because I didn't like all her hero worshiping, at times she felt like stalker. In the first game, I get they were trying to make her young and naive, but it was too much in favor of male fantasy and nerd bait, because my god would she lay it on thick how amazing she thought Shepard was. Also if you weren't careful, she'd ninjamance you.

ME2 she seemed to level out and mature, which apparently pissed off her fans because they thought she was behaving too cold and distant? I guess maybe for a romance. Then all of the sudden in LotSB she's got Shepard's dog tags and bloody death armor on display and she wanting to come over to Shepard apartment and I turned her down real quick on that.

After treating her like crap for two games, ignoring her and not taking her anywhere (didn't even take her to see her mom), she's still madly in love with Shepard in the third one. She's like one of those women who gets the crap beaten out of them but they feel like their too in love with their abuser to leave them.

I for one don't understand why everyone dislikes Vega. Sure, I had him pinned for a pointless character when he was announced (as did everyone else, because we all judge things without having experienced them), but I actually kinda liked him once I got to know him. He took the backseat as soon as I got Garrus back though, of course. Let's face it. A party without Garrus is not a party I'd want to go to.

I find Ashley to be the most annoying by far. It doesn't help that they turned her into what I could only describe as a failed post-op tranny. I liked her just fine in the first game.

Jenkins. Fucking Redshirt.

Ashley and Vega. Ashley, not because of her xenophobic nature towards aliens, but the way she tries so hard to be cool and rebellious in the first game, but ends up looking corny and immature.

And I don't think I even need to elaborate why I dislike Vega. The moment you saw him in the opening of ME3 you knew that things were gonna perpetually downhill from there on. The only thing I liked about him was the sparring match conversation, and that was really the mechanic rather than the character himself. Just try not to cringe every time he calls you "loco".

Soviet Heavy:
Liara fucking T'Soni. Ooh look at me I'm a wilting flower nerd sexual fantasy come save me with your penis but I'm also a lesbian too!

She contributes nothing to the plot, bitches at you if you do her mission last in ME1 and complete the whole game without her, does nothing in ME2 until she stumbles into being the Shadow Broker, then goes back to doing nothing but being proto girlfriend "I made a time capsule! Aren't I perfect?" in ME3 again.

Nothing she does has any impact on ANYTHING, apart from her being Marina Sirtis (Benezia) daughter. And you can do that mission without her, so she's totally irrelevant there as well. Pretty much all she does is read your mind and translate texts for you. That's it. Anything else, she's just sort of "there" while being forced as this super duper important character you totally need to care about.

Fuck that, I'm brofisting it with Garrus and Wrex.

Don't know what games you were playing.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielnyegriffiths/2012/06/28/real-hero-of-mass-effect/2/

Keoul:
I didn't really hate anyone
I just chose Jacob because he was the most boring character, that and I never actually used him.

This so much. Jacob just seemed so bland when compared to the other characters. Especially in ME2 it sorta stands out. Guy has daddy issues? That's it? His character never seemed to have any sort of depth. And a lot of his dialogue moments are just lame.

i never liked the humans. They were all defined by daddy issued. except kaiden, he was defined by boring me to death. Also i choose Miranda since she did nothing to effect the plot of me2 just like most but then got praise from journalists and fans for her ass. That annoyed me .

NightmareExpress:
All the humans in the franchise are rather bland, now that I really think about it.
I didn't particularly despise any singular individual, but there were a few that I basically forgot existed.
This was largely due to their special abilities being shared with more useful squadmates (alongside myself) and them not being able to tank hits that well.

In Mass Effect it was Kaidan, in Mass Effect 2 it was Jacob/Miranda and in Mass Effect 3 it was Ashley.

For me, they might as well just have renamed the franchise "The exciting space adventures of Shepard and Wrex (feat. Garrus) with special appearances made by Mordin, Tali, Liara and Legion".

Even Shepard is kinda bland in convrtsation. All he says is "Hey whats going on?"

For me it has to be James Vega. If only he wasn't transplanted from Gears of War, if only every conversation with him didn't make me think id suddenly started playing a different character, if only he didn't work out virtually every second. He MIGHT have been likeable if they'd stopped him looking like a fridge, either changed how he behaved with Shepard so you could actually respond as something other than aggressively flirty or military hard ass, or explained why Shepard talks to him so differently. And lastly if they'd actually done what they said they'd do with him I.E use him as the excuse to explain how much shit was really going down.

Ok that was a rant. He just felt totally pointless and screwed my immersion. But as for the runner up! that would be Jacob, I wouldn't say he was badly written just average and bland, but to be honest most people are bland and he did feel like a real person, my problem was that he really felt like a soldier boy replacement for Ashley/kaiden (which I'm sure was part of his point) but that was the only impression I ever really got from him.

As for some other peoples points on other characters my advice is talk to the people at every stage, they do change and show more than one dimensional personality.

Now id like to shout out to Bioware for making such amazing games and characters over the years and boo EA! (who I firmly if irrationally believe are responsible for everything wrong with the series!)

I didn't enjoy James Vega much myself... he just kinda 'turned up' in the third game. But after watching Paragon Lost I think he's perhaps one of my favourites.

Or atleast very much improved.

Jacob and Miranda are pretty shallow. Miranda fair enough that's just what her character is like but Jacob... just boring.

Sometimes I'll talk to him just for the hopes that he'll one day say something interesting.... still waiting :P

((Not sure what format the next mass effect game will be in. But I'm expecting some really interesting people in that game! Halo 4 had some great character moments in it (of all games!). So bring on the fourth!))

Ashley. I could not stand her and her duck face.

Ashley is my choice. All throughout ME1 I just wanted to give her a smack upside the head for being so untrusting. I only kept her alive because she was more useful in combat than Kaiden was. Once ME2 rolled around I regretted that decision.
Once ME3 rolled around I regretted buying the first game simply because she was spawned from it.

All she does in the first one is bitch about the aliens and how they're "trrkin eerrr jrrrbs" and will stab us in the back.
In the second she screams at Shepard for working with Cerberus after she called him a god and after you saved her ass and half a colony from the Collectors, who according to her wonderful logic were working for Cerberus too!1!!!
Then in 3 she bitches at you some more for being a part of Cerberus and magically contacting them after being under arrest and constant scrutiny for months and still doesn't trust you after you wipe out half of Cerberus' army and have the Illusive man personally tell you to screw off. God I wish I still had ME1 so I could let her die.

The humans, all of them iirc, they're either plain, cliches or jerks with no real character.

ShinyCharizard:
James Vega. He was just so pointless and uninteresting. Why did they even bother to put him in the game.

He was actually explained in the comics. They put a LOT of really important information that was only available in the comics. Things like: How Shepard's body got to Cerberus? Why does Aria hate Cerberus so much? What's Anderson's past with Kai Lang? and yes, Vega's relationship with Shepard and why Anderson put him on the Normandy.

OT:
I don't remember ever really hating anyone. I didn't really care for Kaiden in ME1 because Carth Onasi is boring in Star Wars AND in Mass Effect. I didn't like Jacob in ME2 because I didn't like his weapon loadouts and powers. and I didn't like Vega in ME3 because he didn't fit my playstyle.

I see a lot of hate for Ashley, saying she's racist. But she really loosens up if you actually talk to her.

I don't really hate anyone. Granted, not everybody is as complex as characters like Mordin, Thane or Samara, but even characters like Jacob are likable, who I don't even think is a bad character, he just wasn't afforded three games to develop like, say, Garrus.

A problem with Mass Effect is that it has TOO MANY interesting characters, and the break neck pace at which the plot of the third game accelerates doesn't afford them all time to develop.

With characters like Kaiden, Ashley and Jacob, who don't really have any unique conceptual traits, it takes longer to establish recognizable themes or quirks. Like real people, they don't seem very complex when you first meet them, because nothing's really happened to them to set them apart or illuminate their psychology. You don't pay that much attention to them because their...normal.

It's not like when you meet a character with a shady reputation or a tragic backstory, when you take one look at their design and you know "This guys got issues".

But Jacob, Kaiden, Ashley, etc DO have issues. We eventually see that Kaiden and Ashley have issues, they have normal, everyday person issues. Just because they're normal doesn't mean they're not worthwhile characters.

This is where I think Jacob got the short end of the stick, I think he could have been an engaging character if we met him back in Mass Effect 1, if he had more time to grow. But since he's only featured significantly in ME2, we really don't see that much of him.

I think the least engaging characters in the series are Kasumi and Zaeed, just... not much to talk about. Zaeed's backstory might have made him interesting, but he's never suggested to be anything else but a crazy merc. Kasumi has an interesting backstory detail, but what I've noticed is that we don't know much of ANYTHING about her. Think about it, most of her dialogue is in reference to other characters, and nobody else really talks about her; I guess that makes sense considering she's a thief, but it's still not much to go on.

Soods:

MasterBrief:
How is Vega the most unliked? He was funny and actually a good character, not that any of the others weren't but Kaidan and Jacob just annoyed me so much.

Gamers and machos don't tend to mix so well, I assume.

Lol I guess. Though I guess he comes off as a semi douche but still he had a good sense of humor and character.

James Vega leading the pack, no big surprise there. I hated him the first time I saw him and (or maybe when he opened his mouth first time) switched him up with someone else as soon as i got the chance. Following him would be the original love interests Kaidan and Ashley who really pissed me of with their assumptions that if I am nice to them that means I love them so very much and like they all were jealous of Liara because I talked to her or something I do not know. Guys I do not love you I am just playing paragon and I do not want any renegade points OK? I was never interested in romances in the game and so when the writers tried literally shove them down my throat I found it annoying and as a result I disliked both characters for rest of the trilogy.

They put a LOT of really important information that was only available in the comics

Yeah that was a good idea putting important info into a comic book so I will not know what is going on if I do not read and more importantly do not buy that crap. Hello customer we are EA and we would like to milk some $$$$$ from this franchise while people still like it.

Miranda has the least votes out of the answers you chose? Huh.
Yeah, I'm giving another vote for Zaeed. I liked pretty much every squad member in Mass Effect except for him. Might've been different if I was playing as a Renegade though.

Kaidan is the one I dislike the most. James Vega isn't that good either, but he's at least better than Kaidan, even if it's not saying much. Kaidan came off as a whiny bitch to me, and I can't stand that in anyone, it's the worst possible characteristic you can have XD I didn't like Ashley that much either during the first two games, but I think she got a lot better and more cute in the third.

michiehoward:

Soviet Heavy:
Liara fucking T'Soni. Ooh look at me I'm a wilting flower nerd sexual fantasy come save me with your penis but I'm also a lesbian too!

She contributes nothing to the plot, bitches at you if you do her mission last in ME1 and complete the whole game without her, does nothing in ME2 until she stumbles into being the Shadow Broker, then goes back to doing nothing but being proto girlfriend "I made a time capsule! Aren't I perfect?" in ME3 again.

Nothing she does has any impact on ANYTHING, apart from her being Marina Sirtis (Benezia) daughter. And you can do that mission without her, so she's totally irrelevant there as well. Pretty much all she does is read your mind and translate texts for you. That's it. Anything else, she's just sort of "there" while being forced as this super duper important character you totally need to care about.

Don't know what games you were playing.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielnyegriffiths/2012/06/28/real-hero-of-mass-effect/2/

Much of that article I must disagree with, it's from a point of view that Shepard and Liara are bestfriends and/or lovers and someone's own head canon. This is an RPG, your mileage is suppose to vary from others. I understand the writers point, but I don't see the character of my Shepard seeing Liara in such a light and she never felt that vital to me.

In my opinion, some of Liara's roles can easily filled by someone else. The rescuing of Shepard's body for example, could have been carried out by just Miranda and Feron, they were the ones with all the information, data, and connections around the issue, and it would have better suited the over arching story. Liara should have been busy all those years trying to figure out how to stop the Reapers, researching the death of the protheans, eventually finding evidence of that ancient weapon and trying to find the blue prints, trying to get the Alliance to let her into the Martian archives. Saving Feron could have been Miranda's loyalty mission in ME2 and her father/sister issues could have been reserved for the third game. Instead, Liara abandons everything, ignores the visions she saw from Shepard because no one knows. Of all the people on the crew to not bother figuring out the Reaper problem, it had to be Liara who had the knowledge of it all. Liara is just there in the comics, she doesn't even know why to begin with. She spends most of those comics bitch slapping Feron around and making sure her tits and ass look good for the viewers. I don't even see where Feron betrayed her, cause he really only betrayed the Shadow Broker and was always on Liara's side from the start.

I feel like most of the things she does that is vital over the series, are like a 5 minute oh here you go, random prothean knowledge I pulled out of my ass. Then the rest of the 40+ hour of ME1 and ME2 game she spends fawning over Shepard or talking about friendship and her insecurities and how someone(usually Javik) got her panties in a twist, or about how her species has sex (though, omg don't judge her species as being over sexualized cause they aren't. They're serious business.)

They had kept her untouched and alive for so long, put her in the powerful position of the Shadow Broker, that I was hoping to see her really do something paramount in the third game. To really blow my mind and make me change my feelings about her. But she does next to nothing. Traynor, the newbie, gives you more missions, information, and resources than Liara does, the Shadow Information Broker, does. I went on a second play through and I realized that I simply can't skip talking to her like I used to. At one point you aren't even allowed to speak to other characters unless you speak to her first, this is the scene with her time box that I found very uncomfortable and slightly creepy. However, it's one of the very few chances in the entirety of ME3 I get to play my Shepard how I see her, cause it has an actual middle option.

Pretty much all the humans got completely ignored in my games. you give me a colourful cast of aliens and robots and I'm sure not gonna waste my time farting around with boring human cast.

But in terms of characters I just didn't like.

Probably Jack, nothing about her character or personality interested me at all. I did her loyalty mission, talked with her to get the ship upgrade and then let her rot down in the basement.

MasterBrief:

Soods:

MasterBrief:
How is Vega the most unliked? He was funny and actually a good character, not that any of the others weren't but Kaidan and Jacob just annoyed me so much.

Gamers and machos don't tend to mix so well, I assume.

Lol I guess. Though I guess he comes off as a semi douche but still he had a good sense of humor and character.

I agree. When I first saw him I thought "Oh great, a brainless muscleball.", but for a human he turned out to be pretty ok.

Not sure. I actually didn't mind Vega and Jacob too much, though I wish they did more with their characters. I suppose I liked Miranda the least, though that's partly due to her snooty personality and not so much the writer's incompetence. Didn't hate her though.

Also, Tali and Garrus were boring as hell in Mass effect one. Which is funny, because they morphed into the best of the supporting cast in the later games.

Durzo_Blint:
Couldn't STAND Vega. His character was just incredibly bad and pointless and uninteresting and did not deserve to be a part of the Normandy crew... However I chose Ashley because she got on my nerves the most. Her stupid racist attitudes and whining about the military family frustrated me to no end, soon as ME1 came out for PS3 I let her die first chance I got.

I never could understand hatred of Ashley
I personally found Jacob much more bland and boring
In ME3 Ash were pretty decent

I came in wanting to say Ashley... then I saw Jacob's name on the list. Damn Jacob.

Why do I dislike Jacob so much? He was boring as all hell, so utterly dull. I always skipped the dialogue options for him on repeat playthroughs even though I could listen to ANY other character multiple times. His loyalty mission was just stupid and I never felt that any of his emotional reactions to what happened were genuine.

To be honest I thought most of the human characters were terrible. The only human I really connected with was Kaiden. He had a completely honest sincerity about him; it felt like we would get on well in real life. He wasn't trying to be anyone but himself and yet he was still awesome.

Ashley may have been a space racist but at least she had some personality (unlike Jacob) although she was reduced to the token female human in Mass Effect 3.

jhoroz:
Just try not to cringe every time he calls you "loco".

He calls my Shepard "Lola" which I always thought was kinda cute. But then again she is female after all.

Animyr:
Also, Tali and Garrus were boring as hell in Mass effect one. Which is funny, because they morphed into the best of the supporting cast in the later games.

That's interesting; I thought they were the two most interesting characters in every Mass Effect game, especially the first.

Legion.

lol i kid, for me it would have to be Javek. Yes i know that he brought a lot of cool backstory about the prothians but he was also a dick and a HUGE troll. Like not even the ha ha magic man funny troll, but just insensitive get on your nerves troll.Plus he is a DLC character so i pretty much have to hate him on principle.

As for the other characters, Kaiden is sort of a goody two shoes but he is alright. Ash is ok, racist but ok. Jacob is a cheating bastard so screw him. Miranda, i have mixed feelings for her, on the one had she his a Cerberus cheerleader who hated on my Jack, but at the same time DAT ASS. An then there is Vega, I have seen a lot of people hatin on him so being the contrarian i am i feel obligated to defend him. I will not lie, my first play through of ME3 i ignored him for the most part. I did the same for my second and third play thoughs but on my forth i realized somthing. Jimmy Vega is actually an ok guy. I yes he is the new kid on the block but he is sort of funny especially if you play Femshep. His constant flirting followed by his total awkwardness when you call him out on it is kind of cute and in some ways he makes me think of a young sheperd, that is if you played shep with the threshermaw backstory. plus his banter with garus is pretty funny.

Human squad mates, forever terrible

I liked all the characters? I never took Tali on any missions; does that count?

I never cared for Miranda, but I think what made me not like her was the way the scenes where you talk to her on the Normandy were directed. Having her talk about how perfect she was made to be was... Kinda annoying be bearable. Having her talk about how perfect she was made to be while the camera does everything it can to focus on her ass and pan all over her body? No... Just... No. Then I ran into the same problem as ME1 where I chose a dialog option that seemed innocent but ended up coming out flirty.

There's also Samara. She was so damn forgettable for me. When I ran into her in ME3, it took me 5 minutes to realize who she was, because I just plain forgot she even existed.

I guess I didn't really hate or "revile" anyone; at worst I just regarded them with complete apathy.

For me, it's a tie between Kasumi and Zaeed. Talking to those two pieces of living scenery was pointless because the conversations were one-sided. Sure, Jacob, Kaidan and Vega were tools, but at least they (sort of) had personality. And leave my girl Ashley alone, dammit. I would much rather have her on the Normandy than Miranda. Every damn time I talk to Miranda, she whines about her father. If it weren't for that accent, I would've sent her out the airlock.

Zaeed. I let the motherfucker die.

I didn't really HATE any of them at all but Jacob was definitely the most dull. Not sure why but he just never really clicked with me. I loved his loyalty mission though so I'm clearly insane. lol

Probably Vega. That was EA going "Look, BioWare bros, we need our brosephs in the customers to feel included. Like, there aren't enough juicers or y'know, protein shake types and I mean, what gives? They're all soldiers, right? Shouldn't there, be, like, some kind of bro-call in there?

Like, say Gears of War. Man, that shit was wack, all the dudes were totally bros!

So, yeah. We kinda want you to put a bro in... bros. That'd be rad."

Most of everyone else was tolerable, even if Zaeed was awful. Kasumi was surprisingly interesting for a DLC character.

Otherwise? Eh. Maybe Liara could have stood to be more than just a pansexual sex doll with a scientist's brains.

I hated all but Wrex, Tali, and Garrus. I tried everything I could to kill off or not recruit everyone else. I consider myself fortunate to have only watched lets plays of ME3, as I refuse to support any more brainless retarded stories, lack of plot, and badly developed characters.

In ME1, I hated Ashley so much I didn't even have to think about letting her die in ME 1 every playthrough, the xenophobic bitch. "I hate all aliens murr murr murr, look at my boobs and form fitting armour murrr!" The only point the differs is whether or not I let the Geth kill her or I make her set the nuke off at point blank range. I think the nuke is more satisfying. Now, if only I could tell Kaiden to stand next to the nuke too...the emo bastard.

As for ME 2, aside from Garrus and Tali, I couldn't stand any of them. Lets see, we have our genetically superior nazi, i mean krogan , the too emo for school psycho chick that can't say no to tattoos or figure out what shirts do with that lovely "shank me now" speech she does, Miranda's asssssshole behavior until you promise her your sperm donation to perpetuate the perfect species (omg its like I'm playing Fatal Attraction, the Game), Block of Meat who is so bland all I can remember about him was his daddy issues and his skin colour, and the emo-girl-lust-object-lizard-man with his oh so sad story (oh so tragic...swooooon). Finally, there's that weird religious nut chick. But since you got her so late in the game as to be made irrelevant, that I almost forgot about her.

ME3, I purposely ignored and refuse to play under any circumstance. But out of them, I think the same holds true from ME2.

Soviet Heavy:

Couldn't agree more. I hated her and her godam plot armour. Literally the only squad mate with the exception of the Prothean chap and James Vega that you couldn't get killed.

I'd take Zaeed over her any day

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked