12.1% (146)
James Vega
26.6% (322)
26.6% (322)
other (comment)
8.7% (105)
8.7% (105)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Most reviled Mass Effect squad mate?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ShinyCharizard:
James Vega. He was just so pointless and uninteresting. Why did they even bother to put him in the game.

He was meant to be who you played as if Shepherd died at the end of ME2, but who could possibly have managed to play the game through and not do enough to ensure Shepherd lives? yet another example of a good game being stretched thin by devs running ragged to please everyone. On that note, did anyone play ME3 on the Shooter option where all of your choices are made for you? I'm curious how that works.

Sacman:
Miranda, certainly her... at first I thought Ashley, being, you know, kind of racist, and pretentious... but nope Miranda takes the cake, with her bitchy mean girl, better than you attitude, she's like a fucking high school girl, complete with the vast amounts of vanity and self obsession...

I mean it even reflects in her back story and character mission... I mean we're given absoluetly no reason to sympathize with her... sure, by the end of the third game we're shown that her dad is pure evil, but up until that point we only had to take her vague word for it... He, "Manipulated" her... What kind of excuse is that? I mean her entire motivation is, for all intent and purposes in ME2, just a spoiled teenage girl throwing a bitch fit, for some unspecified reason... and than she kidnaps her sister, because baby snatcher is totally a likeable character trait...<.>

By the end of her mission I sympathized more with her dad than Miranda... I mean ust think about it, not only does your spoiled teenage daughter reject you as a parent, when you do your best to give them the best life possible they also steal your new born child in a fit of self righteous bitching... he has every right to want his daughter back and want Miranda dead as far as I'm concerned... but oh no, it's okay that she kidnapped her sister, because he just wanted to "Manipulate her"...<.>

Shut the fuck up Miranda!

When I read the title of this thread Miranda was the name that came to my mind first. I could not even say why I disliked her that much.
I've argued with myself, desperately trying to find traits in other characters making me hate them more then I dislike her but I failed.

Then I read this post and found myself nodding in agreement on every paragraph.

And also I really dislike her looks. Something about her just makes her... appalling (for lack of a better word)... to look at.
Maybe it is because the camera always pans in on her squishy parts like she's a damn fanservice scene come to life.

First thing that came to my mind when I read the thread title was that I really don't "revile" any of them.

Then I remembered that Morinth is technically a squadmate for half of the second game if you make that choice... so her. They succeeded in making a superbly evil character there.

Aside from that though, the worst I can really say about any of them is that they're boring or silly. Jacob is boring. James is silly. Ashley and Kaidan are fairly boring as characters... though I'll admit, I still haven't done an ME3 playthrough with Kaidan alive yet so that might change my opinion some.

Sixcess:
Kaidan. His sole reason to exist seemed to be to be the default femshep romance option. Other than that I just draw a total blank on him. At least Ashley had that whole Space Republican thing going on.

To be fair he was a little more than that - as was Ashley, at least on a meta level. All of the squadmates in ME1 had very defined roles to play in terms of helping the player get to know the in-game universe. So aside from her daddy and family issues, Ashley's character had the job of informing the player about human military organisation and history. Likewise Kaidan's job was informing the player on biotics and humanity's history with the concept. Garrus, Wrex, Liara and Tali all had the job of informing the player about their respective species. Some of them just managed to get characterised better than others around all that.

FWIW I think they did a really awesome job of avoiding that issue with Mordin in ME2 and, to a lesser extent, Javik in ME3. Casting Mordin and (again, to a lesser extent) Javik as the comic relief really helped in that respect though.

Liara.
She is such obvious Author-Darling-oh-I'm-innocent-mystical-alien-girl insert, I couldn't stand her. If it was a way to abandon her in ME1 to a nuke instead of any other squadmate, I'd do it any day.

I didn't care much about Kaidan, Ashlee, Kasumi or Vega (and I liked Miranda and all others, Zaeed included) but Liara is the only one I can't actually stand. ME3 mission with her mandatory in team was a torment, so I took Javik with me to torment her, bwa-haha.

mrdude2010:
Really? Jacob Taylor and Ashley Williams over Kaiden? I always felt like Kaiden was the Carth of the ME series; always being a whiny little bitch without adding anything to combat (Never played with Vega so can't say).

They were also voiced by the same guy too.

I never really used Kaidan for combat all that much. I did like him as a character though. I suppose the one squad mate that I never really cared for was Kasumi. She was ok as a character but I didn't really care for her in combat. No matter what orders I gave her she would always be the first one down and it would just be Garrus and Shepard cleaning up the rest of the enemies.

Disliked Jacob because he was boring. James Vega to be felt like how they should of introduced a new human squadmate in ME2, with the whole you being a mentor and what not thing.

I liked Ash and Kaiden in the first game but they became the same character pretty much in the third game so stopped caring about them as much, which is a shame really.

If I wanted a huge muscle man* on the ship I'd have gotten a krogan

Actually I DID want a krogan, fuck off Vega and give me my damn Krogan Bioware!

*Or woman, a female krogan squaddie would have been more than appreciated

It's a toss up between Tali and Ashley Williams.

Why isn't Tali on this list? I seriously never understood why she's one of the more popular characters. Let's look at some facts:

Every single conversation with her in the first game is her whining. Oh we're the victims despite us attacking the geth first. Oh Shepard, I can't sleep because the ship is too quiet. Oh Shepard, I'm feeling sick. Oh Shepard, could you give me data you got so that I don't have to complete my own pilgrimage. She starts off the same in the second game as well. Oh Shepard, I've gotten my whole squad killed. Oh Shepard, I've gotten my whole squad killed... again! Bleh

She literally can't do anything on her own. First game: is stupid enough to think she can meet the shadow broker and gets attacked by two bit thugs and needs to be rescued. Second game, loses control of the squad she's supposedly in charge of and as a result, they all die. Later, during another mission she's in charge of she not only fails in her objective to figure out what is wrong with the sun, but once again gets her entire squad killed (unless Shepard manages to save Reegar). I won't hold her responsible for getting charged with treason, because that was her father's fault, but once again she needs to be rescued because she can't handle the situation on her own. Third game, she either dicks around doing nothing if Shepard didn't save her from getting exiled, or she fails to prevent a war because she's not assertive enough.

My favorite love interests (Liara or Miranda for male, Garrus for female) all ask for Shepard's help on occasion, but they are all capable of doing things on their own as well. Liara runs the Shadow Broker's empire, and saves Shepard's body from being given to the collectors. Miranda uncovers the secret behind Sanctuary, and of course brought Shepard back to life. Garrus wipes out whole gangs on Omega and organizes the Turian Military for war. What the hell has Tali ever done on her own?

My assumption is that she appeals to players with white Knight syndrome, because she constantly needs to be rescued, and because of her immune system is all delicate, manly male players can feel like they have to take care of her or some shit like that. Also, because you can't see her face, it can be whatever you want it to be, which to imaginative nerds like us I guess would be appealing.

Seriously, she annoys me more than the virmire survivors seem to annoy everyone else, because she has a personality, but it is just so god damn useless and annoying. Also, on a personal note, she sounds like my grouchy polish grandmother.

itchcrotch:
Which of all the mass effect squad characters did you hate the most/like the least, and why? (There weren't enough slots to have any where near all the characters, so I've picked to most often belittled ones, but if you pick other, please mention who in the comments)

I really, really hated Ashley Williams.

I'd only talked to her a couple of times and I was wishing her character was gone.

Then lo and behold - I got my opportunity to get rid of her.

My Shepard was so noble about the sacrifice - I was jumping up and down in glee, face locked in a rictus of schadenfreude-related delight.

Ahh, memories...

I really hated Kaidan. I'm not even entirely sure why, but I did. I ended up playing through ME1 twice, saving Ashley the first time, so I thought I might as well save Kaidan the second time, resulting in him showing up in my ME3 game. I literally told him he wasn't allowed back on the ship (further reducing the already small selection of squadmates you get). Still, worth it.

Jacob was boring and James didn't seem to have any role to play at all. I quite liked Miranda though. Can't say I wasn't disappointed that I didn't get my old crew members back.

Didn't really hate anyone, but i didn't find some as interesting as others. Jacob and James, mostly. Tho i didn't really enjoy having Ashley in the squad after the first game. Something about her face (in the second and third game).... looked to me like someone had poured a ton of makeup on her. Didn't play any of the DLC, so can't say anything about those characters and teammates that were added by that.

My order of hatred is as follows:

1. Jacob
2. Ashley
3. Jack
4. Vega
4. Kaiden

The human squaddies are just baaaad imo.

gibbles545:
Disliked Jacob because he was boring. James Vega to be felt like how they should of introduced a new human squadmate in ME2, with the whole you being a mentor and what not thing.

I liked Ash and Kaiden in the first game but they became the same character pretty much in the third game so stopped caring about them as much, which is a shame really.

Jacob may be boring, but he was in ME2 the closest thing you had to a sane military guy aboard the ship. He was sort of the proto-Vega, he is the only one aside from Kelly to salute you and he is kind of like what you are if you never had stumbled upon the beacon

Jacob Taylor. Boring character with a story mission that could have been interesting if Jacob's voice actor put any actual emotion into his lines, and he is the only character that goes and cheats on you if you romanced him in ME2.

As for my favorite, definitely Tali. She's one of the most well-written females in gaming for me. Not only does she have the balance of being attracted to Male Shepard without making her entire character based around it, ala ME1 Liara, but her character arc throughout the 3 games is subtle, but noticeable, while being very believable, and her romance with Shepard is the best romance storyline for a Male Shepard, in my opinion.

I accidentally voted for Miranda but I meant to vote for other. I really can't stand Liara though. She gets my vote.

Favorite character is Garrus hands down. Better than Wrex, better than Tali, better than my own Shepard. Bioware... give us a goddamn Garrus spinoff.

I voted for Vega because he didn't feel very useful to me, but I don't actually hate any of them.

All of the squadmates in ME1 had very defined roles to play in terms of helping the player get to know the in-game universe. So aside from her daddy and family issues, Ashley's character had the job of informing the player about human military organisation and history. Likewise Kaidan's job was informing the player on biotics and humanity's history with the concept. Garrus, Wrex, Liara and Tali all had the job of informing the player about their respective species. Some of them just managed to get characterised better than others around all that.

FWIW I think they did a really awesome job of avoiding that issue with Mordin in ME2 and, to a lesser extent, Javik in ME3. Casting Mordin and (again, to a lesser extent) Javik as the comic relief really helped in that respect though.

Exactly. Every character in ME1 is a mouthpiece for the world-building. I actually liked most of them, but I don't think any of them were significantly better or worse written than the others - maybe Wrex, but I think that's because of the second point - he had more of a sense of humour than the rest.

Huh, I actually felt that they were very different in ME3. I actually had an equal number of games with each of them originally but ended up editing all but one of my saves to swap Ash for Kaidan - I liked them both originally, but she really grated on me in ME3 (and I found her promotion to be a little to unbelievable as well).

Jacob may be boring, but he was in ME2 the closest thing you had to a sane military guy aboard the ship. He was sort of the proto-Vega, he is the only one aside from Kelly to salute you and he is kind of like what you are if you never had stumbled upon the beacon

I actually find that a little problematic about Jacob - if he's such a sane military guy, why did he go and join a terrorist organization? I know that he explains it in his intro, but it doesn't really flow together given what we know from the first game.

While I didn't hate any of the sqaudmates, I really didn't warm to Javik at all. OK so I like how BioWare really threw us a curve with the Protheans but Javik was such an arrogant knob at times!

I have to go with Jacob. He has the biggest case of "BioWare Face" more than any character ever.

And Zaeed is the shit. So funny.

I went for Vega, because he just seems unnecessary. Every other squadmate (apart from Javik, but he doesn't count because he was cut out of the game in favour of being paid DLC and thus I shall shun him) in 3 has some kind of history with you, and you get a sense of them being invested in the conflict with the Reapers because they've been there with you before. Vega just shows up out of nowhere and everyone seems to know him, but he's somehow completely clueless about everything because apparently Bioware needed someone to spout exposition to players who started with the third entry in a heavily story-based series.

Tricky tricky tricky. Cue wall of text response!

I hated that Miranda was all "heeey I'm so perrrfect and sexy, look at my T&A yessss" although it was part of her personality, and fleshed out beyond just "I so sezzy". But still, bugged the hell out of me.

I really liked Ashley in ME1. Come ME3, and I was so disgusted by her re-design, and the fact that I'm apparently supposed to like her MORE because she's been given "sex appeal". And why the hell isn't she in uniform? And how the hell doesn't her hair get caught in the moving parts of her rifle and ripped out of her head?! I don't hate her as a character, but I'm really repulsed by the fact that I'm supposed to react to T&A- and the fact that it was out of character for this bad-ass, doesn't-care-about-her-appearance-when-she's-working marine to then be all sexy-girly-fied and out of uniform and have this stupidly impractical hair. I have a knee-jerk hatred towards her not because of her character, but because of how they altered her design in a way that didn't make sense for her character. I never imported my ME2 save file with her alive.

I don't like Tali. I kind of liked her in ME1, but I didn't like that she was all "I've been so into you since I met you and I would totally risk death to rush into a physical relationship with you" with my male Shepard. She felt a lot less independent and a lot more over her head, which wasn't a turn I appreciated. By ME3 I was just, "meh" about her.

Jacob was really, REALLY bad. He was just... Ehhhn. He was flat, two-dimensional, and his voice sounded "stereotypically black". Maybe it's a cultural thing (I'm not American), but pretty much everyone I know in person reacted the same way to his voice- which was, cringing slightly at how stereotypical it sounded. Given that he had virtually no personality beyond "emotionally stable", it makes him come across (to me, at least) as a "token black guy"- which is freakin' weird since my Shepard is... a black guy.
I also loathed that when I played a FemShep, it was all auto-flirt. You had to really experiment to find her none-flirtatious dialogue, and there was NOTHING to indicate that flirting was going to happen. I was like "WHOAWHAT. That said nothing about flirting, WHY IS SHE FLIRTING WITH HIM." But I guess at least it didn't automatically put her in a romance with him just for being nice, which ME1 did with both marines, even though he was clearly designed to be the "automatic" romance option for her. He has more dialogue than any other male romance option; he's the only romance option you can initiate a relationship with pre-loyalty mission; he's the only one (that I noticed) to ask how Shepard is doing and how she's handling the mission in ME2, and there's just so much unexpected flirtation... It's just too bad that he is the most bland, un-fleshed-out character in the series. But it's not so much hate for the character- there's so little to like OR hate- and more hate for how he was handled.

I actually thought James was okay, but again. Being nice = flirting with a FemShep, which had me foaming at the mouth. Who thought that was a good idea. Seriously, if I'm playing a game with romance options, and I get to choose who my character romances, I also want to choose who they flirt with. How is that not obvious?!

So... That's really hard for me to answer. The characters I like, I REALLY like. But the characters I don't like REALLY bug me. For most of them, however, it's less the characters themselves and more how they, or some part of their experiences, are handled. If I had to pick just one though, it would be... Miranda.
(Favourites are Garrus and Kaidan. If anyone cares or even managed to read my wall of text. I am so sorry for writing so much!)

TheCommanders:
Why isn't Tali on this list? I seriously never understood why she's one of the more popular characters. Let's look at some facts:

I don't hate her a fraction as much as you- I reached apathy, combined with mild irritation that she followed the rest of the admirals to war despite disagreeing with it (but, hey, at least that puts her in the right place to correct things)- but I agree with you completely on your assessment of her. I liked her a little in ME1- she was trying to pull things together despite being over her head- and I liked that she was doing work down in engineering, pulling her weight in what she does best while the warriors go off shooting stuff and Liara provides you with the clues you need about the Protheans. I never took her or Liara, it felt like having team members who had valuable work to do that wasn't "shooting stuff". (Unlike Wrex who literally did NOTHING on the ship other than oozing awesome everywhere.)
But yeah, it went from being a little sister type character to being a burden who tried to be all "hey look Shepard I can totally be like you!" and instead got in way, waaayyy over her head over and over. And being all "hey I've totally wanted you because you saved my life and I'm willing to risk my life by rushing into a physical relationship instead of taking it sloooow" if you're male. That's the only romance option which genuinely creeped me out.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked