Skyrim - What would you add?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

If you could add anything to Skyrim to improve the game, what would it be?
I've been playing an awful lot of Skyrim this week and have lost hours each night, wandering dank Dragr ruins, searching for Dragon Priest Masks and visiting towns, purchasing all the available corundum and iron (for nails and locks you see), and as much as I love the game, I'm no fool.

Skyrim would benefit from a few areas being improved, rough edges sanded out etc

The one thing that would improve the game immensely for me would be the Characters.
They have improved an awful lot since Oblivion but if the NPCs had more (way more) ambient dialog, didn't stop every time I walk by just to tell me "working at the fishery is hard, but it puts coin in my pocket" and had some more behaviours, I think the game world would feel so much more alive.

Plus I want more diseases - Oblivion had 30, Skyrim only has 8 - More diseases for Skyrim please!

I'd probably make the combat system more Dark Souls like. Not as hard, but with the same system, because run up and just swing your sword until the guys fall down isn't the best. Heck, when I think about it, fighting in Minecraft was more tense than Skyrim.

Quest variety for a start.
In Oblivion there was a lot more variety in the quests as to what you were doing. You could be silently killing everyone in a household one by one without being detected, driving the slowly dwindling survivors into attacking eachother. You could be sneaking through the prison you came from to stab the guy who called you a tosser. You could be breaking into the White-Gold tower to steal an Elder scroll from some blind monks while pretending to be a dignitary. In Skyrim however, the majority of the quests seem to have been simplified to "Go into dungeon and kill shit".

Rideable dragons, that YOU control. What is the point of riding a dragon if the AI of the dragon takes over for movement?

-More diseases.
-Marriage that doesn't such so much.
-Longer guild questlines.
-The full Civil War whose cut data still exists in the game files.
-Dragons that can use more then two shouts.
-Less followers overall, but more followers with some background quest like Erandur and his ties to Vermina's quest.

I suppose I get to be "that guy"...

The joy of having it on the PC is anything I do want to add to Skyrim, I can.

The only thing I *must* have in games like Elder Scrolls and Fallout is my own armour and weapons.

Although if we're going to look at it from a different angle without mods i'd add more to the story. It needed more meat and the faction quests needed more too.

Minecraft combat and Skyrim combat - so similar that it hurts. I love Minecraft but when it's combat is comparable to Skyrim then yeah, it needs improved. First person melee combat can be done (Riddick, Breakdown, Dark Messiah PC) but if it could make each weapon type feel unique and make our strikes feel weighty when they connect then YES

More small towns like Rorikstead, with more to do in them, doing one sidequest which passes you by the town is kind of a buzz kill

Revamped combat system to make it more dynamic, as well as more animations for combat with each weapon (possibly directional context added)

I would personally also like to see larger scale battles where you can assist/lead in battles against forces more (I am thinking like 50-100 per side kinda big

SajuukKhar:
-More diseases.
-Dragons that can use more then two shouts.
-Less followers overall, but more followers with some background quest like Erandur and his ties to Vermina's quest.

All of these and:
-More skills
-More Weapon types.(Where did short swords go, Bethesda?)
-More major cities/rebuild Winterhold/Helgen quest lines.(Come on Bethesda, first you remove Sutch and Kvatch from Oblivion and now you pull the same crap in Skyrim)
-More house types for Hearthfire.
-Spell creation
-Enchanting and Smithing service NPC's. Mostly for roleplay reasons, I don't want to level enchanting on my Warrior character and so on.
-Serana romance

Better combat and quests. Combat in Bethesda games is always terrible, Skyrim is no exception and I don't know how they've gotten away with it for so long. It's so fucking basic that I can't be bothered detailing how it can be improved because it'd take me far too long to write it all. As for quests, the actual stories suck dick (Skyrim's Mage guild plotline made me laugh at how terribly written it was) and the quest log/marker is too omnipotent for my liking, it points you in the right direction even if the NPC hasn't told you where to go, that's just fucking lazy. It's not like turning the marker off helps either because the text in the quest log doesn't tell you a god damn thing. I know there's mods to fix both these things, but no amount of retarded, poorly animated combat mods can fix the combat for me and I'm done completely with giving a shit about any story Skyrim has to offer. I've yet to even start the main quest, that whole "you're the uber dragon slayer from my wet dreams" shit can eat a dick.

I'd add it so enemies cannot do finishing animations on you.

I will be very short:
Dragons that actually act like DRAGONS!!!!
I still remember in a video on youtube, a bear kill a f*cking dragon like it was a mud crab.....

erttheking:
I'd probably make the combat system more Dark Souls like. Not as hard, but with the same system, because run up and just swing your sword until the guys fall down isn't the best. Heck, when I think about it, fighting in Minecraft was more tense than Skyrim.

I'd say go a little further, make it like Mount and Blade or the newer WOTR/Chivalry. Directional blocking, momentum on weapons, etc. Dark Souls is actually still fairly rudimentary, Skyrim is 75% of the way there already. It relies on structured battles in closed environments for a lot of its challenge, and that's not really something you could port into a game like Skyrim.

So...yeah. Mount and Blade combat. And once that's done, I don't know...maybe hire some fucking writers? Get a little plot up in there? Do some extra lines of reactive dialogue so it feels like your accomplishments are recognized?

Those two changes alone would make a world of difference.

The ability to hold a shield on each hand at the same time.

- Tougher Dragons.
- Civil War battles can be lost if certain objectives aren't completed in a timely manner.
- Opposing factions in the Civil War can attack regions controlled by your factions and conquer them if they're not stopped in a timely manner.
- The Thalmor as a joinable faction.
- Necromancy.

College of Winterhold:
This one irks me the most out of all the questlines. Why do you go to a magic college? To learn magic. In Skyrim, you start the first quest in which you attend a lesson, you learn one spell, which you may or may not already know and then in the second quest you visit a ruin to learn about, and then you discover a terrible secret which could destroy the world (sounds familiar) then you, and only you, are supposed to go and deal with it and save the world with nobody else's help. What they should have done- which seems like a no-brainer to me- is have you progress to learn different levels of magic where you can reach a certain level to learn some of the most powerful and interesting magic you can get nowhere else. Then they should have had decent storyline which doesn't involve world destroying artifacts because that just lessons the impact of the main quest... which was also boring...

I shall leave a brief list of changes that could be made as well:
-Better combat system, I want battles to be tense and tactical, its boring hitting things until they die.
-Better cities which feel like cities more like the ones in oblivion.
-Better characters.
-NO MORE WORLD DESTROYING THREATS WHICH ONLY I CAN STOP.
-Horses that don't feel slower than walking.
-Horse combat that works.
-I want my characters to look like the characters I thought I created.
-Interesting and memorable followers and NPCs, I don't think anyone in the game has much of a personality. I know Bethesda are capable of creating memorable characters, like Fawkes, Patchwork and Harold in Fallout 3, and Sheogorath in oblivion's shivering isles.

Their are lots of changes that could be made, but I don't want to add anymore because people might get the impression I hate the game. But I love it! I have spent many hours on it. It just isn't in my top 5.

Competent writing, especially for the new lore. The "Dragon War" of old really doesn't cut it.

Choice
RPG elements
Quests that break from "go here and kill everything and report back" routine.

Aerosteam:
The ability to hold a shield on each hand at the same time.

Duel wield shields! Why isn't this a mod yet?!?

I would have liked more variance in the quests instead of playing 'follow the marker'

More variety in enemies instead of every single enemy being a variation of Bandits/Dragur/Falmer

A more fleshed out civil war storyline.

I'd love to see an actual Aldmeri invasion, after the civil war and main quest are complete, but that would have to be DLC because it'd have to be frigging huge to do it right: A sort of RTS style unit/supply management system, and your troop and supply numbers depend on whether you chose Empire/Stormcloaks, you have to repel invasions from the coastal areas, and make it really hard, so you won't win all your battles and you'll have to wear down your enemies numbers gradually by destroying their supply lines as they move down through Skyrim rather than a clean sheet of a series of absolute victories.

I would add more puzzle, exploration & platforming centered dungeons, instead of having all of them be "progress 5 feet, fight, progress 5 feet, fight, rinse and repeat for 30 minutes"

Hero in a half shell:
I would have liked more variance in the quests instead of playing 'follow the marker'

You mean different content or better quest objectives?

Jynthor:
-More major cities/rebuild Winterhold/Helgen quest lines.(Come on Bethesda, first you remove Sutch and Kvatch from Oblivion and now you pull the same crap in Skyrim)

I dont know why people always suggest this. Back in medieval times, if a town got destroyed, people didn't rebuilt it, they moved on to a different town.

Only towns of super big importance, or that were owned by a really rich king, got rebuilt, and Helgan, and Winterhold, aren't such towns.

Hero in a half shell:
I'd love to see an actual Aldmeri invasion, after the civil war and main quest are complete, but that would have to be DLC because it'd have to be frigging huge to do it right: A sort of RTS style unit/supply management system, and your troop and supply numbers depend on whether you chose Empire/Stormcloaks, you have to repel invasions from the coastal areas, and make it really hard, so you won't win all your battles and you'll have to wear down your enemies numbers gradually by destroying their supply lines as they move down through Skyrim rather than a clean sheet of a series of absolute victories.

That's actually how the civil war originally was, a RTS resource style system based on what towns, villages, mills, farms, and mines, your faction controlled, and as I recall, not only could you take places, but the enemy could take them back.

You could also recruit giants, convince soldiers to defect, exorcise the ghosts of dead soldiers haunting their families, burn down mills, and you even got payed weekly, and could donate said pay to the wives of the lost soldiers, amongst other things.

Also, every city had their own "battle of whiterun" event. Markarth's event had you sneak into their wall via a sewer entrance, which still exists in the game, helms deep style, and purging the archers inside the wall.

Spears its own skill Tree. Short sword its own skill tree. More variety in the weapons in GENERAL, i felt they hardcore dumbed down how vast and majestic morrowinds weapon/item list really was. I'd also like medium armor to make a comeback. Acrobatics to make a comeback, since if you ask any morrowind/oblivion play who no undoubtedly got bored on their journey, they hopped along while traveling, and eventually hopped so high they could scale mountains. I want that benefit back. Id also like gauntlets and boots back. No, i don't mean sets. I mean left and right boots and gauntlets. I'd like full customization, not a dumbed down one please. Combat on horseback would be most appreciative. Doesn't need to be extraordinarily deep, but something to stop the retarded random encounters, then the chore of either running or getting off the horse. Lets see...did i cover almost everything?...Oh yeah, id like the actual Race-gets-these-bonuses/skills back. Not the teensy ones in skyrim, i mean the legit gets this and this for being a nord or orc.

SajuukKhar:

Basically those 3 plus a better melee combat system. I also want a whodunnit murder house like in Oblivion where you have to kill everyone without them noticing and watch how they get scared each time someone dies. Those kind of missions would be welcome.

A mysterious radio presenter, 3 Bear.
Seriously? Maybe some more of those small tales woven into the game, like those fishermen when you find their journal then look for them. Not a quest. Just for fun. Things like that are what makes this world so amazing.

I'd take away the part where you get attacked every 10 seconds when you're walking in the wilderness, I'd like to be able to just walk around and observe the landscape for a few minutes without having to kill something.

I'd probably also make it a bit bigger, or maybe let you go on excursions to the rest of Tamriel.

Branching guild quests and choices.

-The option to marry or seduce Elisif the Fair.
-Better marriage overall.
-I wish they hadn't removed stats entirely.

Zenn3k:
Choice
RPG elements
Quests that break from "go here and kill everything and report back" routine.

As well as a class system and a non-stupid and offensive main storyline, pretty much this. Also, an actual theme.

To be honest, most of the things people have mentioned here sound really awesome. Someone should list them, and send them to Bethesda or something, ask them if they could try and imploment them in the next game if they could. Some friendly suggestions probably wouldn't go amiss, and seeing as they're from actual players, it'd be like a massive free beta test for them.

What can any of us possibly say that hasn't been added in a mod already? But for my two cents: Dragon Mounts.

Attributes.
Classes.
Magic Crafting.
Acrobatics and Athletics.
A less generic level/ perk system

You know, add the stuff that was gutted out to make room for the "casuals"*...

* Those less versed in video games.

SweetShark:
I will be very short:
Dragons that actually act like DRAGONS!!!!
I still remember in a video on youtube, a bear kill a f*cking dragon like it was a mud crab.....

You mean like this one?

An economy of some sort. NPCs have to eat, buy protection etc.

Definitely a major overhaul of how Bethesda writes characters, meaning they should actually have character for once. There isnīt a single NPC in the entire continent of Tamriel that I give a shit about. Not in any of the quest lines or otherwise. That has always been my only significant complaint with Bethesda.

Improved side-questing. It was, essentially, all the exact same. My favorite quests in Skyrim were the non-combat quests. Because at least they felt different.

Also, because I'm a dweeb, I'd add more stuff to do with the lore. Maybe a line of side quests given by a museum where you can gather up artifacts and old tomes and stuff, and they'd tell you their significance or things related to it. That'd be cool.

This next one is just an addition I'd make to TES in general, but... more language. I want a book detailing the grammar rules of the Dragon language, or a thesaurus for Aldmeri. That'd be really, really nice.

I'd actually wanna see the dwemer return, or some real explanation as to where the heck they have been since the 1st era. So far it's all speculation, and the majority of the dwemer civilization set up all over skyrim back into the mountains, so perhaps an explanation should be in order for a dlc. Would also love a quest line for the rejuvenation of the snow elves or a way yo make the calmer slowly become more like them thru some ritual magics. Just my two cents.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here