Skyrim - What would you add?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

id like to see more accurate mouse recognition when clicking on things, there is no excuse to make it as vague as it is in a AAA game, actually in any game

there is no point to being leader of the guilds.. you lead the dark brotherhood and the night mother gives you quests. i would like the option to send members on quests, make the odd choice for the guild

one thing it needs is more recongition for things happening in game. if there has been a rash of burglaries in town how about some more guard patrols at night, etc

...total conversion mod to a D20 system (maybe Pathfinder, that's popular these days)... actually, that's it. It would be a huge undertaking...

I would make it more interesting. I mean everything works in Skyrim, but that just shows that they didn't push the envelope enough. The daedra quests were all boring for one, none of the craziness I wanted, just a slog of fighting.

Oh, and the Dark Brotherhood was awful.

And there wasn't enough conflict with the Thalmor.

And the stormcloaks were just stupid, especially Ulfric.

And they showed off the looking at the dragon claw thing in the early video playthrough of the first bit and that is literally the ONLY thing that it's used for over and over again.

Spellmaking, please. I find myself going back to Oblivion or Morrowind for my TES fix these days, because I get to have some control over my magery.

Thanks to the guy that explained the Loren the dwemer disappearance. Now onto some more changes....
I'd like to see something that rewards for wearing a particular holds armor, like, if you have a 5 billion septim bounty in the rift, but you are fully attired in garb of one of the holds guards, weapon, shield and weaponry and all, then you can stroll through there without every guard and its mother trying to turn you into skeever chow.

Ability to craft any type of armor, but, much like with alchemy, it's base strengths are SIGNIFIGANTLY lower due to skill level
Same for weaponry

Ditch the wards and create full blown world altering magics, like calling forth a fricken hurricane when being chased down by the entire falmer race every time ya enter a dwemer ruin.

Dunno if it's just me, but why is it every time I fast travel somewhere outside of a hold capital, there's a frost or blood dragon just above ? Needs to be fricken FIXED

Allow player actions to cause visual prosperity within the holds....for instance, buy improvements to the cities, or more guards walking around if ya paid septims to beef up hold security.
Someone mentioned glass armor being sold to merchants eventually showing up on guards, I like that one.

Being able to customize fully the homes bought within the cities.

More to follow....

KissmahArceus:
Minecraft combat and Skyrim combat - so similar that it hurts. I love Minecraft but when it's combat is comparable to Skyrim then yeah, it needs improved. First person melee combat can be done (Riddick, Breakdown, Dark Messiah PC) but if it could make each weapon type feel unique and make our strikes feel weighty when they connect then YES

Dude, if I had the Two-Handed Sweep move in Minecraft I would be a very happy man.

OT: I'm fairly happy with Skyrim, even being an XBox fanboy such as I am, but the one thing that really bugs me is the marriage/family stuff, and most of Hearthfire. The housebuilding is mostly useful, but aesthetically godawful- the additions that actually match each other have little to no synergy with each other, meaning that if you want one house to be your primary base of operations, get ready to never be truly happy with it, especially if you want your family there.

Which brings me to my primary point. Hearthfire complaints aside, having a family feels less like having a family and more like a stat boost. This is all well and good if you're a munchkin, using the wife/husband to sell unwanted things, getting a food item, and then fucking off to the next dungeon crawl, but as a roleplayer it gives me fits. Shit, it'd be bearable if the option was there to just tell your spouse you love them. It wouldn't even be that hard, just modify some of the dialogue options to actually address the person you're speaking to. The best I can do is devote 0.3 lbs in my inventory to my wedding ring at all times, just for the sake of sentiment. There's something else, I guess; Having the ring either unenchanted, so I could throw something on it I'd use and wear it all the time, or have an enchantment on it that makes the case for wearing it at all times, like a spouse would.

Strangely relevant captcha: hallowed ground

I would make enchantment less useless at low levels.
I would make alcoholic beverages actually intoxicate the player, instead of "Restore 30 Stamina".
I would make it so that the player picks up and moves items around from the top, instead of the bottom.
I would allow players to wear circlets alongside hoods and cowls.
I would allow the player to wear two rings at once.
I would make arrows actually go where you fire them.
I would do away with enemies spontaneously sliding a few feet to the right when you fire arrows at them.
I would give the inventory of containers item categories such as in the player's inventory.
I would make lycanthropy a contractible disease.
I would give the player the choice of becoming a werewolf for the Companions questline.
I would allow the player to become a werebear, as well as make werebears default instead of exclusive to the Dragonborn DLC.
I would add child characters of non-human races, such as Orc children. Do you have any idea how adorable that would be.
I would separate pants from shirts.
I would make horses instinctively run away from a fight, instead of rushing in to defend me, often to their deaths.

Lore and culture to Skyrim.

What do I mean?

The whole place whilst visually stunning always feels like such a let down in the villages and cities because nothing is ever happening, we're in the land of warriors, skalds and deities. Where men and women sing drunkenly of battles past and present and are never happier than when covered in blood of their enemies and yet for all of these "proud warriors" of Skyrim I don't think I've ever felt like it practised what it preached.

The mead halls are so boring and dull and there is never so much as a raised flagon at any time, yes you can have the bards play a song and people "dance and clap" but nothing much else.
People should be complaining about the song you chose for instance if you chose The Age of Aggression in Windhelm then the citizens would obviously take offence to this because Ulfric is the rightful king of Skyrim, right?

Skyrim needs to live and breathe, not just exist as it does.

erttheking:
I'd probably make the combat system more Dark Souls like. Not as hard, but with the same system, because run up and just swing your sword until the guys fall down isn't the best. Heck, when I think about it, fighting in Minecraft was more tense than Skyrim.

God no.

Can we please get over Dark Souls combat people? It's not the end all be all of RPG god; it had good combat but its not the jesus of games.

OT: I'd add characters like you said.

Also, FUCKING REACTIONS.

I ENDED the civil war, why are they still singing about it in bars?

Dragons are fucking everywhere, why does barely anyone react to it?

A werewolf tore through whiterun, that should be huge news.

Why is a guard telling me I should join the wizards guild (or whatever) when I'm wearing the archmage robes?

The game doesn't REACT to your accomplishments, its very immersion breaking.

Saviordd1:

erttheking:
I'd probably make the combat system more Dark Souls like. Not as hard, but with the same system, because run up and just swing your sword until the guys fall down isn't the best. Heck, when I think about it, fighting in Minecraft was more tense than Skyrim.

God no.

Can we please get over Dark Souls combat people? It's not the end all be all of RPG god; it had good combat but its not the jesus of games.

Also, FUCKING REACTIONS.

Why is a guard telling me I should join the wizards guild (or whatever) when I'm wearing the archmage robes?

I said that I would prefer it. Especially since Skyrim's combat puts me to sleep. It's what I prefer, calm the Hell down.

erttheking:

Saviordd1:

erttheking:

God no.

Also, FUCKING REACTIONS.

I said that I would prefer it. Especially since Skyrim's combat puts me to sleep. It's what I prefer, calm the Hell down.

So defend your opinion, then tell me to calm down about my opinion.

We're done here before this gets out of hand.

Saviordd1:

erttheking:

Saviordd1:

God no.

Also, FUCKING REACTIONS.

So defend your opinion, then tell me to calm down about my opinion.

We're done here before this gets out of hand.

I...fine I guess...what just happened?

A combat system that didnt suck would be nice. The main reason I have never liked the elder scrolls games and cant get more then ten hours into any of them is that the combat is always horrible.

The npcs also need a lot of work since the same one or two dialogs are shared by a couple hundred npcs and they are constantly repeated every time you go near one. Hell even just having most npcs shut up unless you talk to them would be better. The townsfolk having conversations with each other is fine but almost everything that is directed towards the player is horrible.

s69-5:

You mean like this one?

Even if the dragons were only as strong as the drakes in that game it would be much better. Of course then they wouldnt be able to throw them at you every time you walk around a corner.

Definitely would like little Orcs, my Orc is married to an Orc but our two kids are Nords (I guess, or Americans) but I would happily punt them back to the orphanage if I could have two Orc kids... maybe I would like to actually father a child instead of adopting?

Also, if they could make home life more engaging I would like that.

6_Qubed:

KissmahArceus:
Minecraft combat and Skyrim combat - so similar that it hurts. I love Minecraft but when it's combat is comparable to Skyrim then yeah, it needs improved. First person melee combat can be done (Riddick, Breakdown, Dark Messiah PC) but if it could make each weapon type feel unique and make our strikes feel weighty when they connect then YES

Dude, if I had the Two-Handed Sweep move in Minecraft I would be a very happy man.

OT: I'm fairly happy with Skyrim, even being an XBox fanboy such as I am, but the one thing that really bugs me is the marriage/family stuff, and most of Hearthfire. The housebuilding is mostly useful, but aesthetically godawful- the additions that actually match each other have little to no synergy with each other, meaning that if you want one house to be your primary base of operations, get ready to never be truly happy with it, especially if you want your family there.

Which brings me to my primary point. Hearthfire complaints aside, having a family feels less like having a family and more like a stat boost. This is all well and good if you're a munchkin, using the wife/husband to sell unwanted things, getting a food item, and then fucking off to the next dungeon crawl, but as a roleplayer it gives me fits. Shit, it'd be bearable if the option was there to just tell your spouse you love them. It wouldn't even be that hard, just modify some of the dialogue options to actually address the person you're speaking to. The best I can do is devote 0.3 lbs in my inventory to my wedding ring at all times, just for the sake of sentiment. There's something else, I guess; Having the ring either unenchanted, so I could throw something on it I'd use and wear it all the time, or have an enchantment on it that makes the case for wearing it at all times, like a spouse would.

Exactly! I carry my wedding round around, but never wear it and if only I had more things to say to my wife than: How much pocket money are you giving me today or MAKE ME PIE WOMAN

More 'things' going on or more characters.
Longer quest lines (of actual - diverse - quests).
More weapon/armour types.

bout it...and I only say those things because I've spent something like...130 hours in it, and am only starting to get bored now.

KissmahArceus:
Definitely would like little Orcs, my Orc is married to an Orc but our two kids are Nords (I guess, or Americans) but I would happily punt them back to the orphanage if I could have two Orc kids... maybe I would like to actually father a child instead of adopting?

Also, if they could make home life more engaging I would like that.

6_Qubed:

KissmahArceus:

Exactly! I carry my wedding round around, but never wear it and if only I had more things to say to my wife than: How much pocket money are you giving me today or MAKE ME PIE WOMAN

You forgot BUY MAH VENDER TRASH. ;)

My poor, long-suffering Ysolda. She puts up with so much. Jewelry smelling of the grave, all manner of unsavory meats and pelts, various containers holding more things than they ought, two recently snagged-up orphans running around, a bedmate who's horrifying nightmares prevent either from getting a full night's restful sleep, the wandering draugr from the nearby crypt, that tone-deaf bard...

Oh! I touched on Skyrim mechanics in Minecraft, let's talk about Minecraft mechanics in Skyrim. I fully expected the Hearthfire buildings to be assembled bit by bit, not as modules. Son, I was disappoint. Granted, any house I built would most likelyend up being a giant cube because that's how I roll.

Balance.
Sneaking is broken in so many ways, it's not even funny.
When it's not completely useless, it breaks the game with you becoming invisible by crouching, people right in front of you not seeing you in lit areas and you one-shotting dragons.
You can also pickpocket the money you give teachers for training back from them instantly turning this skill from entirely and utterly pointless to game breaking.
Then there is that illusion spell that basically kills entire floors of enemies by making everything in a 200 feet radius fight each other and enchantments that make you immune to everything and give you free spells.

There's so many bad and weird design choices, I could go on and on.

A Dragon transformation shout that turns you back into a dragon for epic travel + maybe some combat utility until you use the shout again to turn it off. A lot of people forget that as the dragonborn you have a dragon soul. It would be fittingly epic to become a dragon again.

All NPC's should be killable like Fallout New Vegas. It severely limits role-playing options to have all of these characters have to live simply to keep their minor side-quests around. I want the ability to kill all of the bad guys, or if I am role-playing an assassin, the ability to kill anybody who I feel the need to for my story.

The Thieves Guild especially should be an option, or maybe even have a side quest that gives you option to set them up and have them imprisoned. As it is, playing a character who wants to uphold justice it is kind of jarring to not be able to do anything about a Thieves guild when you know who is a part of it and where they meet.

Better characters would be nice. As others have said, none of them even matter. Lydia for example has about two lines of dialogue and we have no reason to give a damn about anybody. Fallout wasn't the best in terms of characters, but I can think of at least a handful from the last two that I actually liked to keep alive. Hell, ED-E dying in Fallout New Vegas was more upsetting than any death in all of Skyrim.

Decisions need consequences. It's ultimately what stops me playing it again, that nothing matters because nobody reacts to anything properly. Sure, a dialogue line or two from passing guards, but that's it.

They also need to hurry the hell up and fix the vampire bugs.

10 less days till Dragonborn's release.

Better characters (NPCs).

More guild quests (with each being more complex than what was already in-game).

More dynamic magic system (can't buy spells, only way to learn would be to either find old spell books in ruins, or learning from the Mage College)

Make the Bard College more interesting.

Pretty much everything I just listed has at least been attempted by modders already.

Acrobatics.
I will trade the Dragon Shouts, every school of magic in the game, the dragons themselves, the main story line, every thane quest group, smithing/enchanting/alchemy, and archery, speechcraft, half of the mod community, and elder scrolls online.

I will trade it all for a jump attack and the ability to jump while sprinting. That is all I EVER wanted out of Elder Scrolls.

Why did Skyrim forsake me?
=(

Yeah, in my opinion, the characters in Skyrim are incredibly bland, including the Dovahkiin. To me, they hardly seem alive at all.

Elder Scrolls characters just lack something, maybe it's the voice acting, maybe it is the animation or maybe it's both?
My example would be the peace summit in the civil war, here you are in a room with Greybeards, Jarls and representitives of both sides of the war but it never feels dramatic or tense or engaging just..... flat

Better animation and voice acting could have made that scene as engaging as a Mass Effect scene but instead it just came across as exposition and crap.

There a few moments where it worked for me though, I enjoyed Isran's introduction in Dawnguard, his conversation with the dude that joined at the same time as you was nice.
And Paarthunax had a nice speech at The Throat of The World but nothing else springs to mind... and that sucks

KissmahArceus:
If you could add anything to Skyrim to improve the game, what would it be?
I've been playing an awful lot of Skyrim this week and have lost hours each night, wandering dank Dragr ruins, searching for Dragon Priest Masks and visiting towns, purchasing all the available corundum and iron (for nails and locks you see), and as much as I love the game, I'm no fool.

Skyrim would benefit from a few areas being improved, rough edges sanded out etc

The one thing that would improve the game immensely for me would be the Characters.
They have improved an awful lot since Oblivion but if the NPCs had more (way more) ambient dialog, didn't stop every time I walk by just to tell me "working at the fishery is hard, but it puts coin in my pocket" and had some more behaviours, I think the game world would feel so much more alive.

Plus I want more diseases - Oblivion had 30, Skyrim only has 8 - More diseases for Skyrim please!

I would redesign the perk point system a bit, bassicly take the exact amount of points required to max everything in a skills perk tree, and then award those points for skilling up in that tree instead of levelling up, then make them exclusive to that tree.

So instead of gaining perks by levelling up, you fill out 100% of the perks in a skill tree just by raising that skill to 100, so if you had the patience to max all 21, you could get every perk in the game. I would probly also nerf the rate of growth for skill levels themselves, pretty substantially, so as to make it require a pretty crazy grind to raise everything all at once, preserving some of the charm of specialization without actually capping players. I would probly also need to redo how the health/magicka/stam on level up works, since they dont give you enough of those to really sustain every kind of build, you obviously gotta commit, so that would probly need a flat buff, like 75% of what we get for one added to all each level automatically or something.

I know it cuts alot of the "Spirit" out of RPGs, but I just didnt enjoy having to specialize so much in skyrim, I would have preferred my character to be the sum of my efforts in certain places, as opposed to the sum of how I chose to spend my finite allowance.

DLCs for the PS3? ;D

Alright alright. As some others have said, more varied side quests. It gets to the stage where I can picture my character just giving the quest giver a form to fill in;

Name:
Location of dungeon:
Thing to kill:
Item to retrieve:

Then at the botton, "I accept any form of payment, including random-arse equipment and items - because I am Skyrims only pushover murderer".

Juan Regular:
Definitely a major overhaul of how Bethesda writes characters, meaning they should actually have character for once. There isnīt a single NPC in the entire continent of Tamriel that I give a shit about. Not in any of the quest lines or otherwise. That has always been my only significant complaint with Bethesda.

I couldn't agree more! With some very notable exceptions (Three Dog from Fallout 3 to name but one), most Bethesda characters are so generic and boring. Sure they may have the odd hint of individuality but they are largely the same, just in different shoes. I suppose it's the price we pay for having so many NPC's.

The Mass Effect games had much better, deeper and individual characters and as a result, people got attached to them, hated them, loved them and any other number of emotional repsonses were felt, which means BioWare have got it and Bethesda hasn't.

I would also like to see the marriage element improved upon. Ysolda has already stopped making me a meal and it's pot-luck as to whether she will act as a merchant or not, depending on what mood the game is in. I'd like more options, including some "affection" animations. I'm not talking hardcore porn (I tried the sex mod but it kept locking up my PC) but some form of cutscene or animation that makes a spouse feel more like a loved one and less like a merchant who just happens to live in my house and call me "dear".

Linking the two points together, give potential spouses more background and personality and the chance to get to know them before making the choice. A seduction mechanic wouldn't have to be totally OTT but the current one (do a small favour and that's it) isn't very fulfilling. Sure the explanation for this is that people in Skyrim don't have time to fuck around and like to cut to the chase, which I can respect, but it just makes the marriage thing tacked-on, arbitary and un-fulfilling.

Someone else here also mentioned economy and I would like to touch on that as well. Apparently, towns will thrive if you spend lots of gold and go downhill if you keep robbing people of their stock / worldly goods but I don't see it, myself. Now Hearthfire has added a building mechanic, would it be so hard to adapt it so that different styles of house could be built and, if a town grows more prosperous, new houses be added and exisiting ones spruced up? If a town founders, show delapidation, more seedy types of people and a general feeling of malaise.

The only times I see a town change drastically are Whiterun and Solitude after the battles but, afterwards, why do they stay wrecked? The only attempt we see at repair is that guy who works for Belethor in Whiterun constantly naling the same decorative wall panel back into place, a task he repeats constantly until I got so fed up with the sound of his hammering that I slit his throat (Sneak at 100 and Backstab perk FTW!).

Lastly, I would re-do the female Khajiit voices. The male Khajiit voices all sound so smooth and suave; the aural equivalent of honey. The females sound like the female ghouls from Fallout 3 - a voice which is perfect for the latter but rather un-perfect for the former. I expected the female Khajiits to have a seductive purr to them, not a gutteral rasp that sounds like they have terminal hairballs!

erttheking:

Yep. Even if it meant locking melee combat to third person (they'd have to tighten up the third person movement, still feels too floaty) I'd be cool with it if it improved the combat significantly.

I'd like to see the NPCs become real people rather than glazed-eyed morons, with actual facial expressions. That kinda thing.

If they're planning on doing any very large DLCs, I think now would be a good opportunity to do Valenwood. It's small so it could reasonably go in a DLC, and there's lots going on there at the same time as Skyrim. The Thalmor are invading, cutting down the woods to build fleets, recruiting Maormer pirates and raiders... so a quest line to conjure a Wild Hunt and expel the invaders would be extremely cool. I'd like to see some savage wood elves, with bones braided into their hair and clothes made from rough skins, ie traditional elves that have never seen civilisation.

A new race. I know it would break the lore and all that, but I want a new race that looks and plays differently, like a monkey race that lessens the damage from high falls or something.

Flip the dragon born and civil war quest. Lets be honest civil war WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more interesting of a story line. Further more you could have had much more fun. Imagine lifting Sieges on friendly towns the various ways you could do it, or taking a town, do you do it by force, by stealth, or by wealth? Also having Thane actually mean something? Life with the home and hearth how about you ow the land and Tax it...have a village.

cloroxbb:
Rideable dragons, that YOU control. What is the point of riding a dragon if the AI of the dragon takes over for movement?

I SO agree. And it wouldn't have been hard to add it in, but it seems they took the whole flying part (including just hovering) out of the picture since Oblivion. It wouldn't have been hard to add flying on a dragon in, though they probably would have used it like a fast travel option with a little video clip of you traveling on it in the air. Since it seems like so much of the game's coding room was used up in making the game seem more real with graphics and wildlife variables.

Baron von Blitztank:
In Skyrim however, the majority of the quests seem to have been simplified to "Go into dungeon and kill shit".

Pretty much every quest you mentioned boils down to "Go somewhere, kill stuff/take something".

OT: Pretty basic thing, but new animations for weapons as you level up/add perks. I liked what they had in Oblivion, where as you hit 25/50/75/100 you'd get new power attack animations to reflect your skills. They'd have a chance of doing something too, I think knocking someone down was one and disarming them another. Yeah, I'd bring those back.

Not sure how bothered I am about attributes and classes people have been banging on about since pre-release, the new system fits better with the whole "get better at what you do" thing that the Elder Scrolls has always gone for.

loc978:
...total conversion mod to a D20 system (maybe Pathfinder, that's popular these days)... actually, that's it. It would be a huge undertaking...

in that case it would just be better to get a D20 based games and mod that to have Skyrim as the map

Goblins. I love goblins. Also, a more involved romance system, and more illusion spells.

Tdoodle:
OT: Pretty basic thing, but new animations for weapons as you level up/add perks. I liked what they had in Oblivion, where as you hit 25/50/75/100 you'd get new power attack animations to reflect your skills. They'd have a chance of doing something too, I think knocking someone down was one and disarming them another. Yeah, I'd bring those back.

Those already exist in the game.

In Oblivion, you got new directional power attacks as you leveled up your skill, with every weapon having the same power attacks, in Skyrim, those same power attacks, or at least variation of them, exist as perks in the one-handed, and two-handed, skill trees.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked