Skyrim - What would you add?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

MOAR SHEOGORATH!!!!!!!

Seriously, I love Sheogorath. He is so hilarious and awesome. Also, he is the Hero of Cyrodil, which is awesome.

make the combat actually enjoyable

make your actions actually have consequences

a story i can care about

make enemies much much much stronger. i was only like level 30 when i got bored and quit playing and my bow was killing almost every enemy in one hit, especially when combined with stealth

make guards much much much stronger. when i ca easily take out an entire city of guards there isnt much reason to obey the law

make shouts less worthless. the shouts suck. they were helpful a little bit in the very beginning but by the time i had a few levels and halfway decent gear, the only real reason i had to use them was to break up the monotony of the boring combat

erttheking:
I'd probably make the combat system more Dark Souls like. Not as hard, but with the same system, because run up and just swing your sword until the guys fall down isn't the best. Heck, when I think about it, fighting in Minecraft was more tense than Skyrim.

This except I'd make it more like Amalur or Dragon's Dogma if that were possible. I honestly can't stand Skyrim because the combat is absolute garbage - there I said it.

I played for about an hour and a half - after you are invited into someone's home when you escape in the beginning, they forget who you are and act as if they've never seen you. That was very strange to me.

Also a rumor I read on another site (that may be completely false)- the enemies level up only when you do, so you could potentially play the game on level 1.

I get that this game is about exploration and the ability to do whatever you want in a virtual world (and the mods you can see on YouTube), but the execution of it is terrible. The fact that Skyrim is so popular is perplexing and annoying simultaneously. While Dragon's Dogma and Kingdoms of Amalur have their flaws, I would rather quit gaming before trying Skyrim again (as it exists today). I've never been so annoyed by a game ever.

Hmm, I like most of Skyrim as is, but I agree with most in saying that the game needs more diversity in missions, more guilds/factions along with longer questlines in them. Also, the ability to utilize all 10 of my fingers, and also wearing multiple necklaces, I understand why I can't, but come on, what's the point of having all these really good enchantments if I can't use them all. Hmm, maybe a shout that gives the Dragonborn a brief amount of flight time, because there are just to many mountains, and my horse can't climb everything try as I might. Marriage be more interesting, like have the spouses act like spouses, have kids (That aren't adopted) and be able to use the creation system to make them look like both parents, similar to how Sims 2 does it. Speaking of the creation system, allow me to change my character's looks in game.

Some of these are major changes, and others are little, but they would all make the experience soooo much better

Better character interactions. Marriage should not be a dialogue box of "Give me some cash" "Give me some food" "We're moving."

Easily the biggest letdown for me.

Why is this phrased as a hypothetical question? If I want to add something, I add it. It took four dozen mods just for me to start actually enjoying the game, and then another dozen for me to start really liking it. The one thing that would be hard to mod in that I'd like to see improved is the main story and civil war questlines, which feel half-assed and poorly paced, probably because those crazy guys at Bethesda decided they'd rather do a crappy job at two storylines than a good job at one.

I'd bring up the Thieves Guild storyline, which is quite possibly the worst story I've seen in any videogame ever (and one of the worse ones I've seen in fiction in general), but it doesn't bother me much because playing a stealth character in Skyrim is about as fun as cleaning a toilet and only half as interesting.

I think I can sum it up in one word.

Depth.

Smeatza:
I think I can sum it up in one word.

Depth.

Amen to that. But if I want depth, I play something else. Bethesda is exceedingly skilled at creating scale but hopelessly clueless on how to create depth.

I'd love to see the combat system from Chivalry medieval warfare implemented into the TES franchise.

Besides that, consequences. Nothing has any real consequence in TES games, which is unfortunate.

BoTTeNBReKeR:
I'd love to see the combat system from Chivalry medieval warfare implemented into the TES franchise.

Besides that, consequences. Nothing has any real consequence in TES games, which is unfortunate.

There used to be more consequences, usually negative. You could break questlines in Morrowind, and several were mutually exclusive, or almost were. You could also break the main quest, which the game rather harshly penalized you for doing. But apparently some people were annoyed at not being able to do anything at anytime without affecting anything else, so they ditched that.

I've seen hints of the devs being able to include more interesting consequences in these games, but they seem to lack either the confidence or inclination to try it very often.

SajuukKhar:

Tdoodle:
OT: Pretty basic thing, but new animations for weapons as you level up/add perks. I liked what they had in Oblivion, where as you hit 25/50/75/100 you'd get new power attack animations to reflect your skills. They'd have a chance of doing something too, I think knocking someone down was one and disarming them another. Yeah, I'd bring those back.

Those already exist in the game.

In Oblivion, you got new directional power attacks as you leveled up your skill, with every weapon having the same power attacks, in Skyrim, those same power attacks, or at least variation of them, exist as perks in the one-handed, and two-handed, skill trees.

I know there's the decapitation and the sprint power attack that have their own animations, but the rest of them seem to be the same throughout the game. It's a totally superficial want, but I just liked being able to judge how skilled an enemy was by them having a quick swing at me.

BoTTeNBReKeR:

i agree, ofcourse it would be slightly modified but chivalry has fantastic combat that feels like each swing has wieght behind it.

Various designs for the same armour (Iron has a couple of designs but thats it i want maybe 2 types of leather, 2 of dwarven etc)

make guilds more like how they were in morrowind
more guilds
more interesting guild quest lines that dont involve me and only me being the only one who can solve this problem

other adventurers, while skyrim really improved on this i would still like to see other competant adventurers running around slying animals and raiding dungeons, maybe even give me some rivals

more flavour in quests, while i get most (if not all quests) will use the same gameplay machnica atleats give me more veriaty in their story then go to dungeon and kill everyone. for example the Whodunit? dark brotherhood quest in oblivion tasked you to kill people in a mansion with out people knowing it was you. machnically its just killing people but, with stalking a person til they are alone or convincing someone to get alone with you made it really stand out

An explanation as to how the Dwemer animunculi work.

And buildable ones too. Because I want to have a steam builder robo-mancer damn it!

erttheking:
I'd probably make the combat system more Dark Souls like. Not as hard, but with the same system, because run up and just swing your sword until the guys fall down isn't the best. Heck, when I think about it, fighting in Minecraft was more tense than Skyrim.

Not sure what's your opinion of the Deadly Combat (Skyrim/Oblivion Mod) is, but recently just installed it for the sake of having a different combat system in the game, add to that the Dual Wielding Block Mod, and Dodge Mod :p

Skyrim definitely could use a dark soul-ish style of combat, weapon and movement system.

Personally, I would definitely love to see a more dynamic world similar to Mount & Blade, with trading, war being fought between different factions etc ... etc ...

Good writing as well as enjoyable and/or deep combat.

I would add that when in 3rd person the movement would change so instead of back or side stepping you would face,move,and attack in the direction you push.More like a traditional 3rd person real time action game(batman,assassins creed,etc).

- Make it so that you can't join EVERY. SINGLE. GUILD.
- Not having every npc stop and say some BS sentence to you everytime you pass them. (enter arrow to the knee joke)
- Not haveing skills like smithing have any effect on what enemies i run into. seriously, just because i decide to smith for an hour or two, doesnt mean i want one of those dragon lords (or whatever their name was) come accross my path.

Ultratwinkie:

And buildable ones too. Because I want to have a steam builder robo-mancer damn it!

Go play Morrowind.

Longstreet:
- Not having every npc stop and say some BS sentence to you everytime you pass them. (enter arrow to the knee joke)
- Not haveing skills like smithing have any effect on what enemies i run into. seriously, just because i decide to smith for an hour or two, doesnt mean i want one of those dragon lords (or whatever their name was) come accross my path.

There are mods for all of those (well I don't know if there's a mod for the first one, but probably). Nobody in my Skyrim says anything about arrows in knees, ever.

ComradeJim270:

Ultratwinkie:

Go play Morrowind.

Longstreet:

There are mods for all of those (well I don't know if there's a mod for the first one, but probably). Nobody in my Skyrim says anything about arrows in knees, ever.

That's actually what inspired it, but I always seemed to go Hlaalu instead of Telvanni.

Never did see an explanation to how those thing work other than they use soul gems.

erttheking:

There was a game... I can't remember it very well, that had this fighting system where you click the Left Mouse Button and slide your mouse in a direction, where your sword/bladed weapon would swing in that direction.

To be honest, I don't see why this would cause much of an issue in an Elder Scrolls game. Also where your weapons would rebound off walls if it touches them, they would slow down, or you can use a shield and reposte enemy attacks. All while in first-person. I guess the issue would be for console players, but oh well.

Ultratwinkie:
That's actually what inspired it, but I always seemed to go Hlaalu instead of Telvanni.

Never did see an explanation to how those thing work other than they use soul gems.

They actually don't. Nobody knows how they do work, but they know that's not it.

Capitano Segnaposto:
There was a game... I can't remember it very well, that had this fighting system where you click the Left Mouse Button and slide your mouse in a direction, where your sword/bladed weapon would swing in that direction.

To be honest, I don't see why this would cause much of an issue in an Elder Scrolls game. Also where your weapons would rebound off walls if it touches them, they would slow down, or you can use a shield and reposte enemy attacks. All while in first-person. I guess the issue would be for console players, but oh well.

So give the console players something more like previous TES games, and give the PC gamers the good stuff. It'd sell.

ComradeJim270:

Ultratwinkie:

They actually don't. Nobody knows how they do work, but they know that's not it.

Capitano Segnaposto:

So give the console players something more like previous TES games, and give the PC gamers the good stuff. It'd sell.

That's what i didn't get.

Its been how many centuries since constructs were in the hands of mages? With full on schematics of them in dwemer ruins and knowledge boxes just lying around? And a damn living dwemer before he died?

So for all those centuries, mages cant understand them even with full schematics and memory boxes. And a full on Dwemer.

The Tamriel mages would have to be worse at investigation than the chasing UFO people on national geographic.

Since a back-round mage in skyrim can assemble and make a dwarven spider work, they must know something. You'd think "big ass defensive robots that don't need pay and do 2x what a human could" would be the first thing they would look into.

ComradeJim270:
There used to be more consequences, usually negative. You could break questlines in Morrowind, and several were mutually exclusive, or almost were. You could also break the main quest, which the game rather harshly penalized you for doing. But apparently some people were annoyed at not being able to do anything at anytime without affecting anything else, so they ditched that.

I've seen hints of the devs being able to include more interesting consequences in these games, but they seem to lack either the confidence or inclination to try it very often.

The only reason exclusive factions were in Morrowind was because it made sense at the time.

The three great houses, and the three vampire clans, were mutually exclusive because it just doesn't make sense t be in multiple great houses, or Vampire clans, as Vampirism came in different strains in Morrowind.

They haven't done it in any game sense because
1. There is no dual, or tri, faction group in any other province like the great houses to make exclusive.
2. There is no dual, or tri, faction group in any other province like the Vampire clans to make exclusive.

They haven't done is because it doesn't logically make sense to make the Companions/College/TG/DB exclusive.

Ultratwinkie:
That's what i didn't get.

Its been how many centuries since constructs were in the hands of mages? With full on schematics of them in dwemer ruins and knowledge boxes just lying around? And a damn living dwemer before he died?

So for all those centuries, mages cant understand them even with full schematics and memory boxes. And a full on Dwemer.

The Tamriel mages would have to be worse at investigation than the chasing UFO people on national geographic.

Since a back-round mage in skyrim can assemble and make a dwarven spider work, they must know something. You'd think "big ass defensive robots that don't need pay and do 2x what a human could" would be the first thing they would look into.

Aside from the fact most people don't know there's still a Dwemer around, and getting to him is not a pleasant experience, there's a big difference between most magic in the TES series and what the Dwemer were up to. Creating the appearance of life in a bunch of metal is a whole different ballgame. Just the fact that they could do it without a soul gem seems to break all the rules that mages are taught to even use magic in the first place. It shouldn't be possible. In fact some of what the Dwemer did really wasn't possible, as evidenced by the fact they developed technology that literally breaks time and space to the point even divine acts can only kind of fix it.

The Dwemer were an extremely secretive, obtuse and, to everyone else alien people, and it especially doesn't help that at the time of their disappearance, humans really didn't want to know about them because they really didn't like Mer of any sort, and the only other elves who had regular contact with them were comparatively primitive, so a lot of archaeological evidence that could be used to figure this stuff out was lost, and what's left doesn't help much because only a tiny part of the Dwemeris vocabulary is accessible to scholars, and a lot the technology they left behind is crazy advanced.

So... it's not that easy.

Now that I think about it, something exploring these very things would be an interesting place to take TES, but Bethesda would probably mess it up somehow. They're very good with their lore until they actually try to put it into a game.

SajuukKhar:
The only reason exclusive factions were in Morrowind was because it made sense at the time.

The three great houses, and the three vampire clans, were mutually exclusive because it just doesn't make sense t be in multiple great houses, or Vampire clans, as Vampirism came in different strains in Morrowind.

They haven't done it in any game sense because
1. There is no dual, or tri, faction group in any other province like the great houses to make exclusive.
2. There is no dual, or tri, faction group in any other province like the Vampire clans to make exclusive.

Also, the MQ in Morrowind had a backpath, so even if you broke it, you could still do it. It was pretty much impossible to not be able to beat the MQ of Morrowind.

Yes, that's exactly what I was referring to. The backpath sucked and required you to take a permanent reduction to your maximum health. The different factions being mutually exclusive was a meaningful choice, but what I was also talking about was how choosing to do the Fighter's Guild questline irreversibly broke the Thieves Guild questline if you had not already done it.

You may be right that they haven't been able to do it because it doesn't make sense, but I find it something of a failing that they haven't been able to make it make sense again. Being able to do everything in one playthrough kind of takes some of the fun out of it for me.

ComradeJim270:
Yes, that's exactly what I was referring to. The backpath sucked and required you to take a permanent reduction to your maximum health. The different factions being mutually exclusive was a meaningful choice, but what I was also talking about was how choosing to do the Fighter's Guild questline irreversibly broke the Thieves Guild questline if you had not already done it.

Well, if your character was even remotely a high level, one could just drink down a million bottles of matze, and use sunder/keening without Wrathgaurd and kill Dagoth Ur that way. You didn't need to lose HP at all.

It was a meaningful choice that existed only because the lore allowed it to, the lore does not allow it to anywhere else.

The Fighters guild/Thieves guild cross over BS in Morrowind was so retarded, the entire Comma Tong plot didn't need to Fighters Guild to be in it at all, and their presence was so shoehorned in to force artificial re-playability that it made me wonder who thought it was a good idea in the first place. If one can remove a faction from a story, and get the exact same story, then said faction was never important the story, and not needed to the plot, and thus, shoehorned in, and shoehorning in factions go to "LOL CONSEQUENCE" is a bad game move. It's why Bethesda makes factions for each guild that you can join, such as the Necromancers in Oblivion, or the Silver Hand in Skyrim.

Joinable guilds should only interact with eachother's plot lines, or the MQ's plot line, when its 100% necessary for them to. Like how you need to go to the College in order to find out stuff about the Elder Scroll for the MQ.

A main story that doesn't suck would be nice, there's loads of lore but why would I care when the parts I experience are always so dull.

NPC's with some depth and personality. Maybe spend less time padding books with lore and spend more time on the characters.

Less shitty combat.

Most of the stuff people mentioned above would be cool aswell.

Other than that the game is pretty damn good. Maybe the scale of it stops it from getting that final polish that would make it legendary. Most of the stuff people mentioned above would be cool aswell.

SajuukKhar:
Well, if your character was even remotely a high level, one could just drink down a million bottles of matze, and use sunder/keening without Wrathgaurd and kill Dagoth Ur that way. You didn't need to lose HP at all.

Many people don't think to try not using Wraithguard, and that doesn't change the fact the MQ is a lot less interesting if you do it that way.

SajuukKhar:
It was a meaningful choice that existed only because the lore allowed it to, the lore does not allow it to anywhere else.

I'm not disagreeing with that.

SajuukKhar:
Joinable guilds should only interact with eachother's plot lines, or the MQ's plot line, when its 100% necessary for them to. Like how you need to go to the College in order to find out stuff about the Elder Scroll for the MQ.

If we're talking about having consequences in these games, they absolutely should do what you just said they shouldn't. Something can hardly be said to be consequential if it has no bearing on anything else in the game outside a neatly compartmentalized storyline .

Baron von Blitztank:
Quest variety for a start.
In Oblivion there was a lot more variety in the quests as to what you were doing. You could be silently killing everyone in a household one by one without being detected, driving the slowly dwindling survivors into attacking eachother. You could be sneaking through the prison you came from to stab the guy who called you a tosser. You could be breaking into the White-Gold tower to steal an Elder scroll from some blind monks while pretending to be a dignitary. In Skyrim however, the majority of the quests seem to have been simplified to "Go into dungeon and kill shit".

It's funny that those are really the only decent quests in Oblivion, and all of them are either part of the Dark Brotherhood or at the end of the Thieves Guild.

A Smooth Criminal:

Baron von Blitztank:
Quest variety for a start.
In Oblivion there was a lot more variety in the quests as to what you were doing. You could be silently killing everyone in a household one by one without being detected, driving the slowly dwindling survivors into attacking eachother. You could be sneaking through the prison you came from to stab the guy who called you a tosser. You could be breaking into the White-Gold tower to steal an Elder scroll from some blind monks while pretending to be a dignitary. In Skyrim however, the majority of the quests seem to have been simplified to "Go into dungeon and kill shit".

It's funny that those are really the only decent quests in Oblivion, and all of them are either part of the Dark Brotherhood or at the end of the Thieves Guild.

Not really. The quests in which you travel into a man's dreams and solve a series of surreal puzzles comes to mind. Or the quest were you travel into an expressionist painting and battle trolls with jars of turpentine.

ComradeJim270:
If we're talking about having consequences in these games, they absolutely should do what you just said they shouldn't. Something can hardly be said to be consequential if it has no bearing on anything else in the game outside a neatly compartmentalized storyline .

Consequences in games should be based on necessary actions, and reactions, between various factions, that would, and only could, happen between those two factions. Anything else is arbitrary, forced, shoehorned, and all other similar terms.

Any child can make a game where every quest has members of two factions in them with the ending you take causing you to go up in reputation with one faction, and down in the other, but those faction's participation are wholly unnecessary in 90% of those quests, and exist only to enforce artificial re-playability in the game through arbitrarily denying you access to content based on illogical, and unnecessary, faction interaction.

It is the faction equivalent of making some areas of games only accessible through random encounters, and saying that those random encounter areas bring re-playability to the game, while true, the entire concept of "random encounters" is artificial, and said areas could have been included in the base game, with everyone getting to them, and thus, they should have been.

If you can take away components of a quest, and still get the same quest, then said components were never necessary. similarly, if I can remove factions from quests, and still get the same quest, then those factions have no purpose in the quest, and thus shouldn't be there at all.

An example, in Fallout New Vegas there was a quest given to your by the NCR to go out and kill three of the fiends leaders, and bring back their heads as proof of their death. This entire tie to the NCR was necessary, and should have been removed, as the fiends also attack the surrounding areas, such as Westside, and the quest could have come from a Westside NPC, thus giving you the same quest, while avoiding the NCR, who is tied to the MQ, and could be made hostile against you by doing something as simple as joining the Legion, thus denying you access to content you shouldn't have been denied to in the first place.

I already left this in the Fallout 3 features request thread, but I want some sleeping animals in caves. Hello? Bears and dragons. How were they typically depicted in pop culture? They were sleeping. In caves.

And some siege weapons other than weird looking ballistas would be nice. Trebuchet or catapult, even cannons with long load times would be nice. Mind you, I want all of these things pointed at ME. I've already spammed my armor/alchemy/enchanting.

Also, everyone here is talking about how the mechanics of fighting could be improved, but I think it's possible to use the current game and make aggressor NPCs smarter fighters. There's no point in archers being all spread out. They need to be in a line, away from the main fighting. Give me ten flaming arrows concentrated on me at once. Then send in the bruisers with clubs and shields or two-handed weapons. Give me a line of men with pikes. Why else would you give me a shield charging perk?

I'd personally strip every uppity side character of their plot armor and gleefully suck out their fucking souls.

IE:

Maven Blackbriar: Uppity Housewife with a Bowie Knife up Her Skirt. ("You'll regret crossing me!" Really? Why is that Maven? All the dead goons at your burned down estate? Your first level destruction magic? Or the Dark Brotherhood I WIPED OUT MYSELF!?)

The Greybeards. If I can kill Paarthurnax, I can kill his geriatric caregivers/lodgers.

The Blades. No, no I do NOT "have to" do anything you pushy blonde cunt *stab*.

Serana's Mother. She's a disgrace to her entire species.

There are more, but you get the idea. I have alot of pent up anger, and I *really* resent being told by a game dev that I simply cannot indulge my urge to kill in a KILLING SIMULATOR because X/Y/Z person is a super special snowflake.

Wanna know who the only 2 "plot essential" characters in Skyrim are? The Dragonborn, and Alduin. Period. Everyone else can piss off.

Quests with a point and more reactive environment. I kill a bloody dragon middle of a town and after that everyone talks to me in the same bloody emotionless tone repeating the same fucking lines about what class I look like or what fucking potionshop they got.

Or when I erase a whole fucking town in bloody rampage while women cry and lament and men flee. The aftermath is just empty town and kids running around being total fucking tossers because they don't disappear or be killed.

Also I would add child NPCs that aren't tptal fucking tossers... When I come walking around the town with armor and axe full of my foes blood, they just go around taunting me like I would be some linen wearing peasant.

SajuukKhar:
Consequences in games should be based on necessary actions, and reactions, between various factions, that would, and only could, happen between those two factions. Anything else is arbitrary, forced, shoehorned, and all other similar terms.

Any child can make a game where every quest has members of two factions in them with the ending you take causing you to go up in reputation with one faction, and down in the other, but those faction's participation are wholly unnecessary in 90% of those quests, and exist only to enforce artificial re-playability in the game through arbitrarily denying you access to content based on illogical, and unnecessary, faction interaction.

It is the faction equivalent of making some areas of games only accessible through random encounters, and saying that those random encounter areas bring re-playability to the game, while true, the entire concept of "random encounters" is artificial, and said areas could have been included in the base game, with everyone getting to them, and thus, they should have been.

If you can take away components of a quest, and still get the same quest, then said components were never necessary. similarly, if I can remove factions from quests, and still get the same quest, then those factions have no purpose in the quest, and thus shouldn't be there at all.

An example, in Fallout New Vegas there was a quest given to your by the NCR to go out and kill three of the fiends leaders, and bring back their heads as proof of their death. This entire tie to the NCR was necessary, and should have been removed, as the fiends also attack the surrounding areas, such as Westside, and the quest could have come from a Westside NPC, thus giving you the same quest, while avoiding the NCR, who is tied to the MQ, and could be made hostile against you by doing something as simple as joining the Legion, thus denying you access to content you shouldn't have been denied to in the first place.

I'm pretty sure we're actually in agreement on a lot of that. Please read that carefully. We're not on completely different pages here

That said, what I'm talking about is creating more situations "necessary actions, and reactions" actually occur, instead of every storyline being wholly divorced from all others. Also, why can these things only happen between two factions? Why not three? Or four? Or five? Or... why not? Also, what, in your opinion, constitutes replayability that is not artificial? I am perfectly fine with a game that does not let you access all content in a single playthrough, so long as the reasoning behind this does not feel arbitrary and the game itself feels like its actually worth playing more than once (and if it's not, why would I want to access all the content anyway?)

Your "random encounters" analogy doesn't hold water, since they are random, and a player's choice as to which factions they join and which quests they do is not.

On the rest, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree (on the parts we in fact disagree on) because it's really a matter of opinion and I'm too tired right now to toss those sorts of opinions back and forth.

EDIT: I also wholly disagree on your New Vegas example. It makes perfect sense for it to be tied to the NCR, because they have a vested interest in eliminating the Fiends. So what if it's possible not to get that quest if you make certain decisions? Really, so what? Don't like it? Don't make those decisions! That sounds perfectly fine and reasonable to me. I see nothing wrong with it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked