Skyrim - What would you add?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

ComradeJim270:
snip

The problem is that, due to the nature of the guilds specific talents, there is very little, if any, logical overlap for faction quests.

The Companions have very little, if any, reason to overlap with the TG, who steal stuff at night, and whose targets are wholly unknown until they attack, or The College, who only goes out of their building to deliver enchanted weapons, or the DB, who kills people suddenly, and unexpectedly, and all means of vice-versa. The TG, and DB, are too secretive, and the College is too isolationist, to interact with each other, or The Companions. It would be very contrived for two factions to overlap, let alone all 4.

What would constitute a non-artificial choice would be something like the Deadric quests where you often have the choice of either
A. killing someone to get some item
B. Not killing someone and losing out on some item.
Like how in Namira's Daedric quest you can take the priest to the ruin so get eaten by the cannibals, and in return you get Namira's ring, or you can kill the cannibals and save the priest, thus losing out on the ring, but getting some gold, and the thanks of the priest.

It makes sense they denying a Daedric lord his desire means you don't get his item, and how fulfilling their desires normally means someone has to die.

Considering that faction systems are forced upon the player, and the player is forced to pick a side in order to continue the game, there is no such thing as choice when it comes to faction systems, beyond which portion of content you want to be arbitrarily denied.

Westside also has a valid interest in stopping the fiends, as the fiends attack Westside often, why couldn't the quest be given by them? There was no reason to froce it upon the NCR, which could allow for players who side with the Legion to get denied said content if they side with the Legion, when said content could be provided for BOTH factions.

Change some of the cookie cutter dungeons. I can't tell you how many times I had a Déjà vu moment. So many dungeons, strongholds, caves, etc. After a few times through, you know what to expect. That makes me sad.

My only real complaint: Better marriages.

I'm alright with the combat system, with the lack of quests, and even the lack of story at times.. but the marriages. Why would I get married to a character who's going to be thumbed down into a sitting NPC that says the same line over and over again? It even makes the coolest and toughest characters (like Aela the Huntress) into a simple minded person in which she does nothing with her life.

There should of been way more thought put into this, and actions (not saying we needed sex but maybe a hug command or romance would be nice). You should just have someone as a follower, that way you won't turn them into a lesser person. Gosh I regret marrying Aela for she lost her trait as a hunter and merely repeated the same one liner over and over again.

I'd personally want to see the language system they had in Daggerfall and Battlespire
it'd make it more interesting and engaging I think

also work some more on the immersion/atmosphere
don't get me wrong, TES5 if pretty atmospheric and all, but never in all the time I played it did it feel like Daggerfall felt, like walking around in the dungeons or, god forbid, arriving in Daggerfall City at night

Marriage that actually seems to matter a bit.

Or more varied quests.

SajuukKhar:

ComradeJim270:
snip

The problem is that, due to the nature of the guilds specific talents, there is very little, if any, logical overlap for faction quests.

The Companions have very little, if any, reason to overlap with the TG, who steal stuff at night, and whose targets are wholly unknown until they attack, or The College, who only goes out of their building to deliver enchanted weapons, or the DB, who kills people suddenly, and unexpectedly, and all means of vice-versa. The TG, and DB, are too secretive, and the College is too isolationist, to interact with each other, or The Companions. It would be very contrived for two factions to overlap, let alone all 4.

What would constitute a non-artificial choice would be something like the Deadric quests where you often have the choice of either
A. killing someone to get some item
B. Not killing someone and losing out on some item.
Like how in Namira's Daedric quest you can take the priest to the ruin so get eaten by the cannibals, and in return you get Namira's ring, or you can kill the cannibals and save the priest, thus losing out on the ring, but getting some gold, and the thanks of the priest.

It makes sense they denying a Daedric lord his desire means you don't get his item, and how fulfilling their desires normally means someone has to die.

Considering that faction systems are forced upon the player, and the player is forced to pick a side in order to continue the game, there is no such thing as choice when it comes to faction systems, beyond which portion of content you want to be arbitrarily denied.

Westside also has a valid interest in stopping the fiends, as the fiends attack Westside often, why couldn't the quest be given by them? There was no reason to froce it upon the NCR, which could allow for players who side with the Legion to get denied said content if they side with the Legion, when said content could be provided for BOTH factions.

Ok, now I see what's going on. You're talking about how Skyrim is, I'm talking about how I would have liked it to be. You're stating that there's little reason for those questlines to overlap, which is true. I'm stating that I'd like the game better if they'd been written in such a way that they had an impact on each other.

As for "forced to pick a side", you really aren't. TES games generally don't "force" you to do anything. I know plenty of people who got tremendous enjoyment out of them without actually finishing the main quest, or even faction quests. Some games do force this upon the player, but this isn't one of them. The only time that happens is the requirement to join the College to finish the main quest.

I'm still not seeing an issue with the New Vegas example. I see absolutely no problem with certain side-quests becoming inaccessible based on the player's decisions, so long as it makes sense in the context of the story, and in your example it absolutely does. In fact I'd rather have that than have main and faction quests exist in a virtual vacuum, or in a simple dichotomy that's out of place in an open-world game like the ones we're discussing.

But we're going off on a bit of a tangent here, and that's probably mostly my fault because I'm not just talking about Skyrim anymore but about open-world games in general. If you want to discuss it more, please start a different thread about it (preferably tomorrow, when I'll have gotten some sleep). I don't want to go hijacking this one.

Capitano Segnaposto:

There was a game... I can't remember it very well, that had this fighting system where you click the Left Mouse Button and slide your mouse in a direction, where your sword/bladed weapon would swing in that direction.

Ironically, the game in question sounds like The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall. That game had all sorts of interesting features that were cut from subsequent games in the series. To be fair though, a number of these features were basically worthless. Magic combat sucked, too.

Here's my wishes for Skyrim:
-More complexity for cooking (more ingredients, more recipies, more dishes with stat bonuses instead of just restoring HP).
-Fewer dragon attacks, with stronger dragons when you do get to fight them.
-Bring back Alteration magicka.
-Bring back spell crafting.
-Tweak stealth so it isn't totally broken and OP (at the very least increase the time enemies will search for you).
-Remove the armor cap.
-Bring back the need to maintain and repair armor/weapons.
-Allow me to kill anyone and everyone if I feel like it, but with the appropriate consequences (breaking quests, instant death warrant if caught killing children, etc.).
-Less generous loot drops and higher shop prices. I always end up sitting on a mountain of gold early on with nothing worth spending it on.

This is coming from someone playing the Xbox 360 version of the game. I hope to get a new computer sometime and address a number of these issues with mods for the PC version (my current laptop chugs when I try to play Scribblenauts Unlimited on higher settings, much less Skyrim).

Neverhoodian:

Capitano Segnaposto:

There was a game... I can't remember it very well, that had this fighting system where you click the Left Mouse Button and slide your mouse in a direction, where your sword/bladed weapon would swing in that direction.

Ironically, the game in question sounds like The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall. That game had all sorts of interesting features that were cut from subsequent games in the series. To be fair though, a number of these features were basically worthless. Magic combat sucked, too.

Here's my wishes for Skyrim:
-More complexity for cooking (more ingredients, more recipies, more dishes with stat bonuses instead of just restoring HP).
-Fewer dragon attacks, with stronger dragons when you do get to fight them.
-Bring back Alteration magicka.
-Bring back spell crafting.
-Tweak stealth so it isn't totally broken and OP (at the very least increase the time enemies will search for you).
-Remove the armor cap.
-Bring back the need to maintain and repair armor/weapons.
-Allow me to kill anyone and everyone if I feel like it, but with the appropriate consequences (breaking quests, instant death warrant if caught killing children, etc.).
-Less generous loot drops and higher shop prices. I always end up sitting on a mountain of gold early on with nothing worth spending it on.

This is coming from someone playing the Xbox 360 version of the game. I hope to get a new computer sometime and address a number of these issues with mods for the PC version (my current laptop chugs when I try to play Scribblenauts Unlimited on higher settings, much less Skyrim).

Well, you'd like it on the PC then. I'm pretty sure there's a mod (several, probably) for all of those. With Steam Workshop, they're easy to find and install, too, if you don't feel like digging around TES Nexus for them and installing them yourself. Though Nexus has a mod manager that sometimes manages to install mods for you as well.

Really, there's no way I could play Skyrim on console. I wouldn't be able to do it for five minutes, vanilla Skyrim is just not worth a wooden nickel to me.

Multiple marriages and adoptions. If people want to accuse Bethesda of ripping off Fable 3 when they made the Hearthfire DLC, why not go all the way?
More potential marriage prospects. For anyone who hasn't noticed, there are more available men in Skyrim than women. So I say add Serana, Svana (from the Bunkhouse in Riften), Idgrod the Younger (assuming she's old enough), the single women from the Skaal Village in Solstheim, and Nilsine Shatter-Shield (assuming you didn't kill her).
The ability to marry widows. Say, for example, you really like Adrianne in Whiterun. The problem is she's already married. But if her husband were to die from a vampire/werewolf/dragon/whatever attack, you should be able to marry her.
Now, enough marriage talk. Let's talk business. Rather than become an investor in a business, why not buy the shop? Or become business partners with the owner.
Buying and renting property. Let's say your neighbors in Windhelm "accidentally" die. Why not buy their house and rent it to someone?
Why not rebuild Helgen and Winterhold? Then you could buy property in those two towns.
Customizing your houses. Breezehome, for example, is an oversized hovel. If I had my way, I would have room for three kids, an alchemy lab and an arcane enchanter.

drh1975:
Multiple marriages and adoptions. If people want to accuse Bethesda of ripping off Fable 3 when they made the Hearthfire DLC, why not go all the way?
More potential marriage prospects. For anyone who hasn't noticed, there are more available men in Skyrim than women. So I say add Serana, Svana (from the Bunkhouse in Riften), Idgrod the Younger (assuming she's old enough), the single women from the Skaal Village in Solstheim, and Nilsine Shatter-Shield (assuming you didn't kill her).
The ability to marry widows. Say, for example, you really like Adrianne in Whiterun. The problem is she's already married. But if her husband were to die from a vampire/werewolf/dragon/whatever attack, you should be able to marry her.
Now, enough marriage talk. Let's talk business. Rather than become an investor in a business, why not buy the shop? Or become business partners with the owner.
Buying and renting property. Let's say your neighbors in Windhelm "accidentally" die. Why not buy their house and rent it to someone?
Why not rebuild Helgen and Winterhold? Then you could buy property in those two towns.
Customizing your houses. Breezehome, for example, is an oversized hovel. If I had my way, I would have room for three kids, an alchemy lab and an arcane enchanter.

Pretty sure you could do all of that before Hearthfire was even on the drawing board. The mod community for TES is pretty astounding, and I feel like anyone who gets the games on console is truly missing out. Morrowind and Skyrim are diamonds in the rough, and you can't cut and polish them unless you're on PC. As for Oblivion, well, it's not a diamond, it's coprolite. Still fun to mod though.

Caramel Frappe:

I'm alright with the combat system, with the lack of quests, and even the lack of story at times.. but the marriages. Why would I get married to a character who's going to be thumbed down into a sitting NPC that says the same line over and over again? It even makes the coolest and toughest characters (like Aela the Huntress) into a simple minded person in which she does nothing with her life.

There should of been way more thought put into this, and actions (not saying we needed sex but maybe a hug command or romance would be nice). You should just have someone as a follower, that way you won't turn them into a lesser person. Gosh I regret marrying Aela for she lost her trait as a hunter and merely repeated the same one liner over and over again.

Am I the only one that was offended when the main things you got to do with your spouse was ask:

Where's my money? and
Make me a sandwich

Eh, I'm guessing it's the same if you marry a guy. So I guess it's not sexism?

Sorry, I got back into Skyrim after a year-long break so I must have missed all the threads relating to this. I tend to not play games. Had to listen to "jokes" about the cake being a lie for almost a full year until I broke down and played, eh, you know which game.

Parkour. More hoodies. Hidden knives that attach under your gauntlet-- oh wait...

I feel sorry for all the console players posting here, because a significant number of these have already been done as mods.

-Better melee combat
-A good third person mode
-NPCs that don't spout the same lines at me when I walk past them. In fact, unless it's related to a quest, I'd actually prefer it if the NPCs didn't acknowledge me at all unless I initiate conversation with them first.
-More freedom to do things in the story the way I want to do them, a la New Vegas. Maybe I don't want to be the epic hero, maybe I want to be the sidekick to the epic hero, or maybe I want to be the bad guy, or work for a bad guy.

-And, on a personal preference. I'd like it if the way the player interacts with the landscape was more dynamic. Like, if I'm climbing up a mountain, I want to actually grip onto rocks and ledges and pull myself up rather than bunny hop up it. That kinda thing really takes me out of the atmosphere and reminds me that, yes, I am playing a game.
Things like that.

Juan Regular:
Definitely a major overhaul of how Bethesda writes characters, meaning they should actually have character for once. There isn´t a single NPC in the entire continent of Tamriel that I give a shit about. Not in any of the quest lines or otherwise. That has always been my only significant complaint with Bethesda.

WHAT! How can you forget about M'aiq the liar?

Love that guy.

Baronvvoltage:
I'd actually wanna see the dwemer return, or some real explanation as to where the heck they have been since the 1st era. So far it's all speculation, and the majority of the dwemer civilization set up all over skyrim back into the mountains, so perhaps an explanation should be in order for a dlc. Would also love a quest line for the rejuvenation of the snow elves or a way yo make the calmer slowly become more like them thru some ritual magics. Just my two cents.

My feelings exactly.

OP: Improve the sword/dagger combat. Its better than in Oblivion, but it still could use some work.
I hate the magic in this game, I wish there was a larger variety of spells. Also, the quest stories for the guilds should be longer and have better stories. I would also like to see more small towns were you can just mess around, they don't have to be important places. Finally, the ability to climb like in Assassins creed would be cool.

FizzyIzze:

Caramel Frappe:

Am I the only one that was offended when the main things you got to do with your spouse was ask:

Where's my money? and
Make me a sandwich

Yea, it was very odd to me as well seeing how Aela the Huntress would open up a shop in which I never see her sell anything to anyone .. only to provide 100 gold a day instead of anything specific or meaningful like a hug or quest to prove romance ... or something. Marriage in Skyrim is by far the most dull and hollow aspect of the game, I would rather prefer if they didn't include such a feature. I see way more cons in it then pros.

Also I must warn you .. don't marry a character who's good at fighting. The system will make them less of who they are and it'll ruin what you see them as. Now everytime I look at Aela the Huntress, I just think of her as that one NPC that says the same thing 100x and wants to make me a sweetrole whenever asked. So sad really.

Helmholtz Watson:

Love that guy.

I despise him, and am glad he is set as essential so I can assault him repeatedly in a variety of ways. Most of his comments are either not funny or are basically "Don't agree with one of our design decisions? Well, fuck you!"

A shout that summons an enemy dragon. Sometimes wandering the forest gets boring and I need a giant fire breathing lizard to fight to keep me going. There's a shout that summons a friendly dragon, and I think bend will in the dragonborn DLC lets you ride a dragon, but sometimes I just want to fight one.

I know this won't happen, so I have two saves with dragon fights in them. One is a dragon lair fight, the other is a random dragon encountered in the fields. I have them backed up and ready to go in case I get bored.

captcha: Two hands. Why yes, I am skilled with two handed weaponry in the game.

Norrdicus:

Hero in a half shell:
I would have liked more variance in the quests instead of playing 'follow the marker'

You mean different content or better quest objectives?

HOLY SHIT I LOVE YOU

That mod is like my dream come true

Racecarlock:
A shout that summons an enemy dragon. Sometimes wandering the forest gets boring and I need a giant fire breathing lizard to fight to keep me going. There's a shout that summons a friendly dragon, and I think bend will in the dragonborn DLC lets you ride a dragon, but sometimes I just want to fight one.

I know this won't happen, so I have two saves with dragon fights in them. One is a dragon lair fight, the other is a random dragon encountered in the fields. I have them backed up and ready to go in case I get bored.

But... but... dragons are the most boring enemies in the entire game! They're just oversized cliff racers!

I'd add a few more options when it came to the factions. It seems a bit weird to me that they included an option to go on a crusade against Dark Brotherhood but not for the Thieves Guild, I also think it's kinda fishy that you can literally become Thane for all of Skyrim, but you can't put yourself forward as a candidate for the throne or at least become a Jarl. I mean you could literally become the God of Madness last time around, but I can't even rule a poxy little hold like Morthal here?

Speaking of which, being Thane needs to have way more perks, yeah I get a decent weapon and the guards will excuse some of my bounties, but a little more then that would be nice.

Last of my big changes would be to make the Marriages a bit more complex. It really should take more then a simple little favor like finding them a book to make someone want to marry you. And once they do marry you it'd be nice if they could have more interactions then "Give me money," and "Cook me food" which really made me kind of uncomfortable after I thought about it for a bit.
I really don't need much, just a dialog option to say "I love you?" Maybe a hug button? A slight difference in their dialog to show some differences between them? Anything at all to make this feel like a loving relationship between two living beings?
I know that beyond the huge central characters Bethesda isn't the best with characterization but these are literally the characters you're supposed to grow the most attached to but they feel barely above every single other NPC in the game.

Aside from those it would really just be changing some little nitpicks I have like separating the pants and the shirts, adding back in Short Swords, and bringing back that Armorer skill (It just feels slightly, wrong to play Elder Scrolls without that tink tink tink sound every few minutes). I'd also go backwards a bit with the weapons skills, have axes, blunt weapons and blades separate skills, with one-handed/two-handed perks for each staying within their specific skill trees.

Much of the stuff I want most of you guys here already brought up.

but if there's one thing I wish Bethesda would add to DLC, it's at least for hair colors to be as customizable as they were in Oblivion.

ComradeJim270:

Helmholtz Watson:

Love that guy.

I despise him, and am glad he is set as essential so I can assault him repeatedly in a variety of ways. Most of his comments are either not funny or are basically "Don't agree with one of our design decisions? Well, fuck you!"

Aw come on, how can you hate a guy like that?

Helmholtz Watson:

Well, I did say how in my post.

ComradeJim270:

Helmholtz Watson:

Well, I did say how in my post.

Fair enough, I guess I just find him amusing and I appreciate how they have included him in most of the games as a easter egg, but then again I'm a sucker for easter eggs.

Juan Regular:
Definitely a major overhaul of how Bethesda writes characters, meaning they should actually have character for once. There isn´t a single NPC in the entire continent of Tamriel that I give a shit about. Not in any of the quest lines or otherwise. That has always been my only significant complaint with Bethesda.

I can agree to that one. The one character I loved the most was Shadowmere, and she wasn't even human!

What I would add would be a more in-depth RPG and armor system like Morrowind had, but keep the current combat and stealth systems, more detailed magic and spellmaking systems, and PORTABLE ALCHEMY TOOLS! Yes, Alchemy tables are all well and good, but can't we have just a mortar and pestle to carry with us, at least?

Blackjack and hookers

small thing that hasnt been in the games since daggerfall but it really did add alot and thats holidays. visit the mages guild on a certain day and get spells and services half price, for instance

markets and fairs would be good

ComradeJim270:

Racecarlock:

But... but... dragons are the most boring enemies in the entire game! They're just oversized cliff racers!

Some of my most fun battles in the game have been against Dragons, last night I had an Epic battle against a Serpentine Dragon and a bunch of Dragr Deathlords and Trolls VS Me, Jenassa and Odhaviing

We slaughtered them all... except Serpentine Ladyparts.. She flew away and I haven't seen her since

I want everyone to acknowledge that my character is X exotic race. I mean, I'm an argonian walking down the streets of Windhelm and there are nords insulting dark elves nearby, but they don't care about me, because I'm the bloody dragonborn! Sure, there are a few race based combat lines, but there are so many situations that make no sense based on my race. Especially since I can go into cities as a khajiit.

Also, I want to marry a khajiit, dammit.

Installation on the PS3...too much loading time!

And no perks/level cap. Maybe I'm missing the point, but if I spent an ungodly amount of time becoming a badass mofo dragonborn, I want to be THE badass mofo dragonborn! I'm NOT talking about cheating, understand that. I want a legitmate way to become something just short of a god!

Installation on the PS3...too much loading time!

And no perks/level cap. Maybe I'm missing the point, but if I spent an ungodly amount of time becoming a badass mofo dragonborn, I want to be THE badass mofo dragonborn! I'm NOT talking about cheating, understand that. I want a legitmate way to become something just short of a god!

All the graphics mods!

What would I want in Skyrim? Good question. I was okay with the combat, as it wasn't supposed to be tense, just a "I'M A FUCKING BADASS, BITCHES!!" sort of deal. A lot of people have said put Dark Souls-esque combat in, but that would just ruin the game somewhat for me. I play Elder Scrolls when I want to screw around with the world. I play Dark Souls when I expect a world to clobber me to bits and explain why I suck as a player. I think that it's for now.

Whoops, didn't really answer the question. What I'd like is the ability to clobber a dragon and actually make it worth a damn. Make the dragons have better AI for a start.

Oh, forgot a big one...

STOP MAKING THE GAME A GLITCH-INFESTED MESS ON RELEASE! WILL IT HURT BETHESDA TO POLISH THEIR GAMES AT THE VERY LEAST!!??

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked