Steam Games that use the Xbox Controller

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I have a PC hooked up to a TV and chairs are 10 feet away. Using the controller works best on this, like a high quality Xbox. So far, some games that work OK to fine with a controller:

Dirt 3
Batman Arkham City
Trine 2
Special Ops: The Line
Fallout 3 Vegas
Portal 2 (oddly, no controller on Portal 1)
Saints Row 3 (awesome game w/ cheats!)

Are you using a controller on your PC games? Steam Games? Mostly Xbox controller or other?

Your experiences can help as I'd like to play plenty of stuff on the PC hooked up to the 42" LCD.

Yeah, I have an XBox controller that I use for pretty much any non-strategy game.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
Kingdoms of Amalur
Test Drive Unlimited 2 (pretty much any racing game will play better on a controller than with a mouse and keyboard)
FIFA 12
Skyrim
Any of the LEGO games will work with a controller
Lord of the Rings: War in the North

When they launched the Big Picture function, Steam even had a link to games that were optimised for controller use. I can't find it now, but I didn't look for long. But as long as you're not trying to play League of Legends or Total War, you're probably going to be fine with a controller.

Alan Wake, Mark of the Ninja and Deadlight all use one, but they were ported from the Xbox so I am not sure they count.

I am currently using one for Spec-Ops: The Line, it works well enough. I am rigged up to a 37" HDTV. I use my spare Xbox 360 controller seeing as it's never really used for anything else.

Viking: Battle For Asgard needs a controller, I've never played it though since I don't have one.

I have Portal, Dark Souls, Dishonored, and Planetside 2 all configured to use an 'Xbox Controller Emulator'. Also known as making a PS3 controller recognized as an Xbox controller. For Dark Souls, it's a necessity, but for the others, it's a convenience.

Edit-

Gorfias:

I've gotten a PS3 controller working in Portal 1. It was by going to the settings and activating the controller there. Try again and see if that works for you.

Gorfias:
I have a PC hooked up to a TV and chairs are 10 feet away. Using the controller works best on this, like a high quality Xbox. So far, some games that work OK to fine with a controller:

Dirt 3
Batman Arkham City
Trine 2
Fallout 3 Vegas

Are you using a controller on your PC games? Steam Games? Mostly Xbox controller or other?

Your experiences can help as I'd like to play plenty of stuff on the PC hooked up to the 42" LCD.

Anything that is an action game I will play with a controller, Dishonoured, Hitman: Absoloution, Saints Row 3, Dues Ex: HR and so forth.
The controller lets me play these games in more comfort when I need it.

Started using one a few weeks ago, tried it in Arkham Asylum (which I was halfway through when I got the controller, and it is a LOT better playing with the controller than keyboard/mouse), Spec Ops: The Line and currently Dead Space 2. Works wonders, and now I only use keyboard/mouse in RTS games, BF3, CS, and Diablo/WoW type games where hotkeys are needed.

Yeah, I've been using my controller on games that don't require aiming and shooting or need KB/M (RTS etc.)

Steam already has a 'controller rating' that says if and how much a game supports controller
There's also an option in Big Picture mode to filter games that have controller support

It's actually pretty good, out of the games I've tried I think there's only a few that doesn't quite match its 'fully supported' tag

I used my xbox controller for dmc4, but I would have used the ps3 controller if I could. Getting the damn thing to work on your computer is like trying to wrestle a grizzly bear though.

I use my controller for most games.

The only ones I don't are some shooter and strategy games.

If games don't have controller support (Mass Effect series, i'm looking at you) I use a game profiler to map keys to my controller.

Main reason being I have a big comfy chair at my PC and like to sit back and put my feet up. Controller works wonders for that.

Metro 2033 can use the 360 controller. I use the controller to drive in the saints row games b/c driving with the key/mouse stinks.

bladester1:
I use the controller to drive in the saints row games b/c driving with the key/mouse stinks.

I did something along those lines with Mafia 2. I used the controller for everything, except used the keyboard and mouse for the shooting parts since it was a lot easier that way.

Legion:
Alan Wake, Mark of the Ninja and Deadlight all use one, but they were ported from the Xbox so I am not sure they count.

I am currently using one for Spec-Ops: The Line, it works well enough. I am rigged up to a 37" HDTV. I use my spare Xbox 360 controller seeing as it's never really used for anything else.

Yes! Ports count! Awesome list. Likely going to try and do me some Spec-Ops soon (been having too much fun w/ Skyrim and mods and Saints Row 3 and DLC and cheats, but will get back to more normal gaming shortly.)

bladester1:
Metro 2033 can use the 360 controller. I use the controller to drive in the saints row games b/c driving with the key/mouse stinks.

I did not know that. I'll give it a try on mine. Thanks!

Lyri:

Anything that is an action game I will play with a controller, Dishonoured, Hitman: Absoloution, Saints Row 3, Dues Ex: HR and so forth.
The controller lets me play these games in more comfort when I need it.

Thanks, got Hitman Blood Money... uncertain if that will work. I'm interested in Dishonoured. Some giving it GOTY. I hope it looks better on PC than console, but if controller works, added bonus!

I use an Xbox controller for racing games and some 3rd person games. Jade Empire would be a recent example and a few other nostalgia games like Oddworld: Strangers Wrath and Fable. Space Marine was pretty good with the controller, the aiming was a bit off compared to mouse aiming but melee was pretty good. Taking down other Assault Marines with fluid interrupts and combos was fun. Never used a PS3 controller though, I do not know if many games even support it.

I use them when it works better for the game. Mainly I use mine for Super Meat Boy, Braid, and Half Minute Hero.

I tried playing an FPS with a controler, having left the console wars 10 years ago I am hilariously awful at it.

no borderlands 2 love? that game came out right when the big picture beta came out, was all over that. works seamlessly

I concur..

Actually, I've come to play EVERYTHING using my controller recently, having been an avid proponent of the use of the mouse/KB combo in all FPSs.

Now, I play most games, via Big Picture, from the comfort of my couch:

Saints Row: The Third (how have I missed this whole series until now? GTA without the over-the-top drama, but retaining the over-the-top action and humor!!)
Skyrim (heavily modded, and you have to 'trick' the launcher into not running)
Diablo III (shhh, I use Pinnacle for this... it's fantastic!)
TF2 / L4D2 / any Source-engine title (also quite simple once you get used to it)
Alan Wake Series (sooooo much fun if you enjoy a touch of humorous survival horror!)
Borderlands Series (a bit difficult [see the sidenote below] but worthy)
EDIT: GUILD WARS 2 [with Pinnacle - see Diablo III above] - HOLY COW! An MMO I can fully play with a controller from my couch?!!?!? SOLD!

I play all games via Steam Big Picture nowadays.

I'm also pleased to see the 'Controller Support' icons on the Steam-integrated titles that support it. What I've learned is that the 'launchers' a lot of games use immediately disqualify the title - but there's always ways around that, that do not seem to interfere at all (reassigning a shortcut to the game .exe instead of the launcher, renaming the file directly, etc).

Sidenote: While I thoroughly enjoyed playing Max Payne 3 also using the controller, I simply could NOT get past the harder difficulty settings of the single-player campaigns *AT ALL* without regular headshots. On a 1920x1080 TV screen, that was nearly impossible for me using the controller. I reverted back to KB/Mouse for the final mission (in the hangar) and got it done in one try. :P All those painkillers for nothin'.

I'll hold off on listing any games since most new games have controller profiles, but to add to the discussion. I'd recommend getting a software like Pinnacle.

And to make your mind boggle I'll link this

newwiseman:
I'll hold off on listing any games since most new games have controller profiles, but to add to the discussion. I'd recommend getting a software like Pinnacle.

[EDIT]Post above yours ;)[/EDIT]

GW2, Diablo III are my two mains newwiseman - can you recommend other titles that are 'must-haves' with Pinnacle support? I've been blown away by the investment this emulator offers. I even learned to remap some SHIFT commands to function for EVERY purpose in GW2, completely eliminating the need for a mouse or keyboard ever!! XD

godgravity:

newwiseman:

Post #18 above ;)

GW2, Diablo III are my two mains newwiseman - can you recommend other titles that are 'must-haves' with Pinnacle support? I've been blown away by the investment this emulator offers. I even learned to remap some SHIFT commands to function for EVERY purpose in GW2, completely eliminating the need for a mouse or keyboard ever!! XD

I can't really recommend anything specific... I usually make a pinnacle profile for every game I play from COD to MineCraft. It worked really well for Vindictus when I played that, and Maple Story demanded it. Even for games that have controller support I'll make a profile for commands that aren't mapped like the 'talk' command in Black Ops 2 since the devs didn't think that controller users would want to talk.

I have profiles that I made to match the xbox and 360 for Morrowind, Oblivion, Mass Effect 1 & 2. I also have a Nostromo for games that have lots of shortcuts that I want on hand but can't be mapped to the controller, it's also good for keying in scripts that get used a lot.

I've tried making one for Arma 2, for Day Z, but a working solution has so far eluded me, but that game's controls are awful to begin with so it's no wonder they can't be acceptably adapted.

Gorfias:

Thanks, got Hitman Blood Money... uncertain if that will work. I'm interested in Dishonoured. Some giving it GOTY. I hope it looks better on PC than console, but if controller works, added bonus!

Once you're through with Blood Money definitely pick up Absoloution, mechnically it has been changed but it is still a solid Hitman title and the story line is definitely more intense.

As for Dishonoured, I would not call it GOTY material quite honestly. Whilst it is very nifty, the powers are far too overpowering and you quickly find yourself going through the motions.
I was thoroughly disappointed with how the game handled itself, although the setting is pretty awesome.

I use my controller on any game that will let me. Human Revolution, Arkham City, Ass Creed, etc.

Assassins Creed, Batman, some RPGs and pretty much any racing game works perfectly with a controller

Gorfias:

Dirt 3
Batman Arkham City
Trine 2
Fallout 3 Vegas

Last I checked you had to use a wired 360 controller (permanent, as in not a wireless with a play-and charge cable) or use the now-discontinued 360 Bluetooth pickup for PC. Are you using the wired one or is there a new solution?

It doesn't have to be the actual X-Box controller, every game that supports it will also support any other X-Input compatible controllers. Some manufacturers, like Razer and Logitech make much more easy to grip and more durable controllers.

From the main page of the Steam store press the search button (no need to type anything), and on the next screen click "advanced search", then select Full Controller Support in Category. You'll get all of the X-Input supported games. If you select Partial Controller Support, you'll get all of the Direct-Input supported games - which is sometimes a problem as Direct-Input detects the triggers as a single movement axis instead of buttons.

I use it with many games. I think it works best in games that don't require high precision and in games that don't require a constant use of menus - in those cases I'd rather have a mouse.

You can use the controller in Portal 1 and in many other games - you just have to enable it in the settings menu and bind actions to the buttons. This game falls under the "Partial Controller Support" category. It's not weird that it doesn't support X-Input since it wasn't implemented in PC games at that time.

thesilentman:
I have Portal, Dark Souls, Dishonored, and Planetside 2 all configured to use an 'Xbox Controller Emulator'. Also known as making a PS3 controller recognized as an Xbox controller. For Dark Souls, it's a necessity, but for the others, it's a convenience.

Edit-

Gorfias:

I've gotten a PS3 controller working in Portal 1. It was by going to the settings and activating the controller there. Try again and see if that works for you.

What emulator do you use out of curiosity? I'll use the Xbox controller but it feels... wrong.

Captcha: Broken Heart. I'm sorry my sweet Sixxais I wont cheat on you again with that hussie.

I use the Xbox controller for almost every game I have on the PC. If it doesnt have Controller support, then I map the keyboard buttons to the controller with Pinacle Game Profiler.

The games I'm typically playing with a controller are Ys Origin, Dark Souls, Bastion, and other games that are similarly designed around console use. Keyboard and mouse just provides superior aiming in most FPS games I've played, and PC MMOs are basically impossible to run properly with a controller. Heck, I don't even know how someone would adapt a game like WoW to a controller configuration, though it wouldn't surprise me if they eventually ported to consoles to keep the account count at around the 9-10 million mark.

I think Chivalry supports it. It's a great game, very fun and funny.

So good to see so many people using controllers on the PC and not one negative post yet :). I have been using mine for years on anything that supports it and xpadder for anything that does not. Usually on game forums all I ever got was abuse and elitist attitudes telling me I should use a keyboard and mouse as they are 'better', so glad to see the trend of Gamepad on PC growing.

DC Universe Online can use a 360 controller. Infact I find it's far better suited to be played on a controller. also it's free to play now.

I was raised on consoles (Since almost all but my PS3 were gifted to my family, as we never had the money to buy a console or a decent PC), so a controller feels a lot more natural to me. I play most of my PC games (Since I now have a really decent laptop) with my controller, but there are a couple which don't have any controller support (Dead Space 1/2 (1 not so surprising, but 2? I'm rather amazed it didn't have it) Crysis, etc) and I'm just forced to deal with it. That, or don't play the game. And I'm not that shallow.

Doom972:
It doesn't have to be the actual X-Box controller, every game that supports it will also support any other X-Input compatible controllers. Some manufacturers, like Razer and Logitech make much more easy to grip and more durable controllers.

From the main page of the Steam store press the search button (no need to type anything), and on the next screen click "advanced search", then select Full Controller Support in Category. You'll get all of the X-Input supported games. If you select Partial Controller Support, you'll get all of the Direct-Input supported games - which is sometimes a problem as Direct-Input detects the triggers as a single movement axis instead of buttons.

I use it with many games. I think it works best in games that don't require high precision and in games that don't require a constant use of menus - in those cases I'd rather have a mouse.

You can use the controller in Portal 1 and in many other games - you just have to enable it in the settings menu and bind actions to the buttons. This game falls under the "Partial Controller Support" category. It's not weird that it doesn't support X-Input since it wasn't implemented in PC games at that time.

Thanks man. This is off topic, but I wonder if there's going to be any issues with peripherals when the Steambox comes around. I don't know anything about Linux, but wouldn't the use of Linux in the Steambox require a whole new set of drivers? Eh, I'll worry about that when it comes I guess.

MrHide-Patten:

thesilentman:

Edit-

Gorfias:

What emulator do you use out of curiosity? I'll use the Xbox controller but it feels... wrong.

Captcha: Broken Heart. I'm sorry my sweet Sixxais I wont cheat on you again with that hussie.

Motioninjoy. Download and get the local drivers for your version as they have some sort of online requirement for using the drivers. Just unpack and copy and paste into the drivers version of Motioninjoy to apply the offline driver.

FizzyIzze:

Doom972:

Thanks man. This is off topic, but I wonder if there's going to be any issues with peripherals when the Steambox comes around. I don't know anything about Linux, but wouldn't the use of Linux in the Steambox require a whole new set of drivers? Eh, I'll worry about that when it comes I guess.

Yes, but the moment that one driver is perfected, it doesn't have to be ported to all of the other Linux OSes. This is because the way Linux handles drivers is different than Windows. Linux has the drivers in the kernel itself, so when you need new drivers, you upgrade the kernel instead of installing a new OS. Pretty convenient, too.

FizzyIzze:

Last I checked you had to use a wired 360 controller (permanent, as in not a wireless with a play-and charge cable) or use the now-discontinued 360 Bluetooth pickup for PC. Are you using the wired one or is there a new solution?

This fits in the USB slot of my PC and a regular wireless 360 controller works by connecting to it.

http://www.amazon.com/HDE%C2%AE-Wireless-Receiver-compatible-Xbox-controller/dp/B0096PLB9O/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1359099396&sr=1-1&keywords=360+controller+receiver

I saved a few bucks on a 3rd party one, but had the drivers that came with the one above and it works fine two (first time I got one it was the controller and rx for $70! ouch... 2nd time, just used an existing controller I got for $25 used w/ the 3rd party rx and drivers that came with the first.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked