So Nintendo Direct announced some stuff...

It was announced that Nintendo Direct would be announcing some things today.

I'll try and give a round down of everything that I can remember (feel free to remind me, I may very well have blanked on some of it)

Well, the Wii U is getting it's own Virtual Console relatively soon, with SNES, NES and GBA games for it, and if you had already purchased a game on Wii and transferred it over, you get a special discount price to purchase it for the Wii U.

There's a new 3D Mario game in development, by the guys that made Super Mario Galaxy 1+2 and Super Mario 3D Land for the 3DS.

A new Mario Kart game is also in development as well, keeping with the trend of a game per system.

And Super Smash Bros has also confirmed to be working on as well, for Wii U and 3DS. In addition all three of the games will be shown at E3.

The guys behind Xenoblade Chronicles (Monolith Soft) are making another JRPG for the Wii U, which should definitely be good.

In crossover news, Shin Megami Tensei shall be crossing over with the Fire Emblem series.

The guys behind Kirby's Epic Yarn, are making a game in the exact same sort of style, but with Yoshi as the protagonist.

And finally, there was some Legend Of Zelda news. They are looking at "rethink the conventions of Zelda" such as completing the dungeons in a certainly order, and the series almost exclusively being single-player, which makes me excited but admittedly since it's further away, not as much as this last piece of news.

HOLY SHIT! They're remaking Wind Waker in HD!

And it's coming this year, in autumn (fall for you Americans)!

And this is a "full" remake. Completely tarted up in HD, Wii U Gamepad interaction, in fact you can play it on the Gamepad if you so choose.

So in summation...

I Want "Yoshi's Epic Yarn" right now! It's so awesome looking! While I avoided Kirby's Epic Yarn, I certainly won't avoid this!

I wish there was more info on the new Mario Games, but I know I'm getting both anyways, so I can't wait for them!

The Wonderful 101 is another Want, Especially thanks to the new trailer. I played the Demo at a WiiU Convention, and it was fun, so here's hoping to get it in March!

Everything else is cool...

irishdude:
any new ip's announced?

The Wonderful 101 (Made by Platinum Studios) and a New Monolith Studio RPG (They made Awesome Wii RPGs).

any new ip's announced?

Andy Shandy:

It was announced that Nintendo Direct would be announcing some things today.

I'll try and give a round down of everything that I can remember (feel free to remind me, I may very well have blanked on some of it)

Well, the Wii U is getting it's own Virtual Console relatively soon, with SNES, NES and GBA games for it, and if you had already purchased a game on Wii and transferred it over, you get a special discount price to purchase it for the Wii U.

There's a new 3D Mario game in development, by the guys that made Super Mario Galaxy 1+2 and Super Mario 3D Land for the 3DS.

A new Mario Kart game is also in development as well, keeping with the trend of a game per system.

And Super Smash Bros has also confirmed to be working on as well, for Wii U and 3DS. In addition all three of the games will be shown at E3.

The guys behind Xenoblade Chronicles (Monolith Soft) are making another JRPG for the Wii U, which should definitely be good.

In crossover news, Shin Megami Tensei shall be crossing over with the Fire Emblem series.

The guys behind Kirby's Epic Yarn, are making a game in the exact same sort of style, but with Yoshi as the protagonist.

And finally, there was some Legend Of Zelda news. They are looking at "rethink the conventions of Zelda" such as completing the dungeons in a certainly order, and the series almost exclusively being single-player, which makes me excited but admittedly since it's further away, not as much as this last piece of news.

HOLY SHIT! They're remaking Wind Waker in HD!

And it's coming this year, in autumn (fall for you Americans)!

And this is a "full" remake. Completely tarted up in HD, Wii U Gamepad interaction, in fact you can play it on the Gamepad if you so choose.

So in summation...

Fire Emblem + Shin Megami Tensei

Are you TRYING to make me become even poorer than I am now?

So is Wind Waker HD more Akin to Halo: Anniversary than an HD collection?

SMT+Fire Emblem?
...odd.

Other than that, hard to become excited for this. I played 3D Land recently, and while it was alright, it was just soul-less. Something that was made because the 3DS needed a 3D Mario game, not made because it would be an interesting new game with fun new ideas, etc etc. Most of Nintendo's new stuff seems to be going like this.
But hey, HD WindWaker, that's cool.

What is it that Nintendo don't understand about digital purchases? They're ignoring Rule 1: "You only have to buy it once." Same stuff Sony tried to pull with the PSO Go, and we all know how well that turned out.

Other than that, great news. Although I do wonder when Nintendo will try on a new franchise again.

A HD Wind Waker? The original looks great today, so I will skip the HD polish up.

A Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros are not surprising.

This list so far has nothing...special...on...

Andy Shandy:

Nevermind! My purchase for a Wii-U = Guaranteed!

With all the things that will be announced and shown at this E3, is it safe to say Nintendo won E3 already?
Seems like Nintendo has a great E3 every 3 years. 2007, 2010, now 2013. Can't wait to see them announce the WiiUthem in 2016.

It's amazing how quickly the Wii U is piling up games that add to my (admittedly lofty) quota for consoles of 12 games I want and can't play on a system I already own. Sounds like this Wind Waker remake is going to be more than a texture touch-up. Like Okami, it's a game that still looks great even as an SD game on HDTVs. But if they tweak some of the more annoying aspects of the game (maybe integrating the wind changing mechanic into the gamepad, for instance) and add in a "Master Quest" equivalent, it will be worth it.

But good on the Wii U. A new 3D Mario also makes me drool. We really don't get enough 3D platformers anymore. I'm rather starved for those kinds of games. Alice: Madness Returns was the closest I remember us getting in a while, and the platforming wasn't really too puzzle-like in it (at best, you got some timed platforming. But usually it was just "triple jump to the next floating thing).

And I have not tried the Fire Emblem series yet, but I'm planning on getting one for the DS soon. I already know I like Shin Megami Tensei.

SmT + Fire Emblem = MUST BUY Wii U! Wind Waker HD is a good bonus, too. Chalk in Baten Kaitos 3/HD and it'll be an insta-win for next gen.

Let's not forget this little thing either

HNNNNNG

TheGuy(wantstobe):

I watched that segment of the Direct, more times than anything. I cannot wait to get my hands on that game. It looked stunning.

Looks like I'm going to have to start paying more attention to the WiiU. There still isn't enough for me to want to get it yet, but it's getting closer. I will have to keep a close eye on E3.

Meh, too bad I'm not into RPG's, I can't appreciate famous games like Last Story and Xenoblade.

deviltry:
http://snesbox.com/ + any USB controller > Wii U

I hate Wii U and it could print money and I still wouldn't buy it.
I do believe Wii U is ruining gaming for me by making developers wasting their resources Super Farmvile Mario & Co instead of proper manly man games.

manly man games. ahahahah, so childish.

What are those manly man games? Gears of War and God of War?

Fire Emblem = A game franchise I love
SMT = A game franchise I love

This... This combines a few of my favorite things.

Oh and yeah the Windwaker and Xenoblade news is cool too... I guess.
Nintendo has been selling me systems lately. They just sold me a 3DS, now they're trying to sell me a WiiU.

This love hate relationship I have with Nintendo.
No Nintendo you didn't give me Fire Emblem: Heroes of Light and Shadow, I had to wait years for Xenoblade Chronicles and wasn't guaranteed I'd be getting it. How dare you offer me this instead, and on top of a new Pokemon gen and Fire Emblem Awakening as well. The audacity!

... apology accepted. I love you again Nintendo.

While I'd much rather be seeing Retro Studios tackling a Majora's Mask HD remake on the Wii U, this should be pretty cool, as well. Besides, I haven't even gotten to play The Wind Waker.

"Shin Megami Tensei"? Ehh... I have no idea what that is. It's the first time I've ever heard this name. But any kind of official crossover with a Nintendo series, particularity one such as Fire Emblem, interests me. I'm guessing this is probably the turn-based strategy RPG combat equivalent of say... the team-up of Duke Nukem and Serious Sam or something like that.

DustyDrB:
Sounds like this Wind Waker remake is going to be more than a texture touch-up. Like Okami, it's a game that still looks great even as an SD game on HDTVs. But if they tweak some of the more annoying aspects of the game (maybe integrating the wind changing mechanic into the gamepad, for instance) and add in a "Master Quest" equivalent, it will be worth it.

I'd be satisfied with simple camera controls.

It's amazing how just a few hours ago I could give a shit about the WiiU, but then this Wind Waker HD comes along to serenade me onto the fence. Also my original copy of WW is second hand and has always been a bit iffy - Whenever I play it I fear it could die any second. And good luck finding another copy these days.

DustyDrB:
It's amazing how quickly the Wii U is piling up games that add to my (admittedly lofty) quota for consoles of 12 games I want and can't play on a system I already own. Sounds like this Wind Waker remake is going to be more than a texture touch-up. Like Okami, it's a game that still looks great even as an SD game on HDTVs. But if they tweak some of the more annoying aspects of the game (maybe integrating the wind changing mechanic into the gamepad, for instance) and add in a "Master Quest" equivalent, it will be worth it.

But good on the Wii U. A new 3D Mario also makes me drool. We really don't get enough 3D platformers anymore. I'm rather starved for those kinds of games. Alice: Madness Returns was the closest I remember us getting in a while, and the platforming wasn't really too puzzle-like in it (at best, you got some timed platforming. But usually it was just "triple jump to the next floating thing).

And I have not tried the Fire Emblem series yet, but I'm planning on getting one for the DS soon. I already know I like Shin Megami Tensei.

You should go look at the wind waker remake stills they're nothing short of magnificent, they also hinted at changing some stuff up, so maybe the extra dungeons that got cut and such will be there.

TizzytheTormentor:
A HD Wind Waker? The original looks great today, so I will skip the HD polish up.

A Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros are not surprising.

This list so far has nothing...special...on...

Andy Shandy:

Nevermind! My purchase for a Wii-U = Guaranteed!

I can't wait to kick your ass at HD Smash Bros provided that Meta Knight isn't the spamtastic fucker he is in Brawl!

Lugbzurg:
While I'd much rather be seeing Retro Studios tackling a Majora's Mask HD remake on the Wii U, this should be pretty cool, as well. Besides, I haven't even gotten to play The Wind Waker.

"Shin Megami Tensei"? Ehh... I have no idea what that is. It's the first time I've ever heard this name. But any kind of official crossover with a Nintendo series, particularity one such as Fire Emblem, interests me. I'm guessing this is probably the turn-based strategy RPG combat equivalent of say... the team-up of Duke Nukem and Serious Sam or something like that.

Try out Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked for the 3DS. It's comparable to FE or Final Fantasy Tactics, and a pretty good one to boot. The main part of the series present in the crossover so far are from SMT I, II, If..., III and IV. They're fairly similar to Dragon Quest, Dragon Quest Monsters, Pokemon or Final Fantasy but with darker themes, heavier religious themes and higher difficulty. I'd recommend getting Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (SMTIII) on PS2 or SMT: Strange Journey on DS if you're interested.

TheGuy(wantstobe):

HNNNNNG

Hey MonolithSoft, see this pile of money?

Take it. Just take every last dollar of it. I MUST HAVE THIS GAME.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here