Metal Gear Rising is the Best Thing Ever

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I've just finished the demo for Metal Gear Rising.

In it, I sliced giant metal robot cow mechs in half with a sword.

I sliced pillars to bring down hunks of rock down upon my foes.

And I, a Cyborg Ninja, fought a Man/Wolf cyborg with a chainsaw tail.

This game is awesome. The combat engine isn't particularly deep or complex (a surprise, coming from Platinum), but it's just so much fun. I don't even care about the Metal Gear connection (a series I've has a...changeable relationship with to say the least). I just want to fight Man/Wolf Cyborgs with chainsaw tails, goddammit.

Has anyone else played the demo? What did you think of it?

I haven't played the demo but the boss fights look pretty sweet.

Played it. The demo seemed a bit rough but I'm guessing its just an old build. Based on how much I enjoyed it though I'll definitely be picking it up. I reckon they need to add a dodge button though. And maybe change the parry button to something different, instead of it being the same button as your attack.

I think the demo was a bit too short for us to the full extent of the combat system. And the only real difficult enemies were the Gekkos and Bladewolf. And maybe the RPG soldiers as well.

The other cyborgs we fought were perhaps the lowest ranking footsoldiers in the game, who could be utterly split apart with a single blade mode slice if you manage to land it. I was hoping to fight some of the other cyborg swordsmen, who appear to be quite vicious from the gameplay I've seen of them.

In my time completing the demo, going about each fight in various ways, the Gekkos still manage to mess me up a bit if I try taking them on head-to-head. Those kicks hurt.

The worst thing I did was rush into that street with 2 gekkos and RPG cyborgs patrolling it alerting everyone immediately. Between getting kicked in the chest by Gekkos and blown up by rockets, it's safe to say I got my ass handed to me.

The fight against Bladewolf is awesome though.

The game is not only a Day 1 buy for me, but I got the Collector's Edition preordered already. Yes, I'm excited as hell for this game.

ChupathingyX:

-vidsnip-

Man I love that video. Although fair warning to others as it contains what may be considered spoilers. It shows the gameplay against 3 of the Desperado ninjas, which might ruin the surprise of seeing how each fight plays out during the game. Not that it will make those fights easier when you actually play the game or anything.

Then again, I noticed a lot of marketing for this game is basically hyping up the bosses. I mean, the bosses were always a big deal in Metal Gear, and we usually know who we will be fighting very early in the game. I do enjoy that they're keeping Samuel's battle under wraps. I wonder how difficult that bastard will be to fight.

On the subject of that video; The first time I watched it, I thought Monsoon seemed the weakest. Then 1:50 comes.... holy shit.

I liked the demo. I spent a lot of time just cutting up random objects and fighting enemies felt satisfying, but blade mode feels awkward to me, I don't think that parrying was explained too well in the demo, and I feel like it needs dodge-roll of some kind.

A Red Robot:
I liked the demo. I spent a lot of time just cutting up random objects and fighting enemies felt satisfying, but blade mode feels awkward to me, I don't think that parrying was explained too well in the demo, and I feel like it needs dodge-roll of some kind.

Yeah, i had to look up a guide to work out how to parry. I got away without knowing how all the way until the boss...

It'd be nice if you could do blade-mode atacks with a button press, instead of the awkward analogue side to side thing.

Beside that, the combat was really fun :)

What I've played from the demo it feels a bit bare bones.

Somehow I could just tell this was a salvaged game - Everything about it was just... okay-ish. And the gameworld itself just felt terribly empty.

I found parrying to be surprisingly easy, especially against the Boss, when this is usually the one thing I always suck at in melee games. Getting in close range for attacking Bladewolf was kind of a pain though. Most of his attacks near the end instantly propelled him a good couple of yards away, and Raiden doesn't have any sort of long range attack. At least, not in the demo.

A Red Robot:

There is apparently some kind of dodge roll...think it's square + X. I'm pretty sure this was the demo that shipped with the ZOE HD collection awhile back and apparently Platinum fiddled with some stuff since then.

Not bad actually, a sort of cheap Bayonetta, especially cheap on the art... boring as balls.

I actually rather enjoyed it. I knew the game wasn't gonna take it's self too seriously going into it, but the music that started playing during the fight with an AI wolf with a chainsaw tail pretty much cemented the fact that this game is going to be ridiculous.

I really enjoyed it. It took a while to get the hang of the combat, but when I did, I was slicing all over the place.

daveman247:

A Red Robot:

It'd be nice if you could do blade-mode atacks with a button press, instead of the awkward analogue side to side thing.

You can. Just hold the button for blade mode and then use the triangle or X buttons to do horizontal or vertical swings, you get faster cuts but the trade off is that they're not as accurate so being able to do a Zan-datsu would be down to luck.

There's actually a lot of moves the demo doesn't tell you about, like the backwards dodge, stinger, etc.

Man the demo looks like just another beat 'em up where you hack-hack-hack until the other guy's dead. Very cool subject matter but it's, uh... Devil May Cry and Bayonetta all over?

anthony87:

You can. Just hold the button for blade mode and then use the triangle or X buttons to do horizontal or vertical swings, you get faster cuts but the trade off is that they're not as accurate so being able to do a Zan-datsu would be down to luck.

There's actually a lot of moves the demo doesn't tell you about, like the backwards dodge, stinger, etc.

Oh good. Still, not ideal is it? I just think it'd be more precise with the right trigger being "slice". Since you have to be for the zandatsu stuff.

Johnny Novgorod:
Man the demo looks like just another beat 'em up where you hack-hack-hack until the other guy's dead. Very cool subject matter but it's, uh... Devil May Cry and Bayonetta all over?

Thats a bad thing? :P

daveman247:

Johnny Novgorod:

Thats a bad thing? :P

Not really but "best game evah" seems a little over the top.

Casual Shinji:
Raiden doesn't have any sort of long range attack. At least, not in the demo.

You can find grenades and a rocket launcher... somewhere in the level. Kind of awkward to use though.

But yeah, surprisingly easy to parry. Imagine it'll get harder later on though.

ShinyCharizard:
Played it. The demo seemed a bit rough but I'm guessing its just an old build. Based on how much I enjoyed it though I'll definitely be picking it up. I reckon they need to add a dodge button though. And maybe change the parry button to something different, instead of it being the same button as your attack.

Yeah, that Parry button was hell.
I could never quite tell if I was attacking or blocking... most of the time it resulted in the boss doing big damage to me.

Also, the camera needs work. Too often I was trying to target an enemy (like those two legged robot things) only to have the camera go mental making me miss the target and take damage.

Hopefully these issues will be resolved in the final build.

hazabaza1:

Casual Shinji:

You can find grenades and a rocket launcher... somewhere in the level. Kind of awkward to use though.

I meant more like a melee attack that covers a good distance or draws you closer to the enemy. Most hack 'n slashers have attacks like this to keep the player in the action whenever enemies might pull away.

Casual Shinji:

hazabaza1:

Casual Shinji:

I meant more like a melee attack that covers a good distance or draws you closer to the enemy. Most hack 'n slashers have attacks like this to keep the player in the action whenever enemies might pull away.

He has that in the form of Dante's Stinger. I don't know how to pull it off, though. The demo isn't very good about that sort of thing.

Kopikatsu:

Casual Shinji:

hazabaza1:

He has that in the form of Dante's Stinger. I don't know how to pull it off, though. The demo isn't very good about that sort of thing.

Double tap forward and triangle, that's how you pull off Stinger :D

Anyway, played the demo again, and it's definitely sunk in as something awesome that doesn't take itself too seriously. Will be getting this instead of the new DMC.

too OTP for me ground zeroes looks much better

It certainly is the best thing ever, if you have never played anything but this. Other than the nonsense title of this thread, the game is pretty good, the cow robots are stupid, the chainsaw tail thing was OK, but the cut-scenes are annoying and long from what I understand it is common for this developer. Also the Russian character is really annoying and pronounces tvarish incorrectly almost like they got it from google translate. Anyway the sword play is fun, but as I don't play consoles much anymore I will probably wait till bargain bin for this one.

I finally got to play the demo last night. I friggin' love this game! I'm absolutely crazy about it!

Seriously, the demo is really fun. But, between Dynasty Warriors 7: Empires and all the Skyrim DLC coming out in February I just don't have the money for it.

Here's a neat trailer that was just released, showing the different sort of HF blades available.:

^Weapons was something that's remained somewhat of a mystery so far.

These however only cover the HF Blades. But I have also seen gameplay of Raiden using Mistral's double-bladed Polearm.

I hope that means we get to use all the Desperado weapons. Monsoon's sai, Sundowner's cleavers, and Samuel's samurai sword.

"Metal Gear Rising Revengeance" goes on my list of dumbest titles I've ever heard. Looks nice though, if you're into that.

BeeGeenie:
"Metal Gear Rising Revengeance" goes on my list of dumbest titles I've ever heard. Looks nice though, if you're into that.

This is a series that contains the line "Colonel, we've managed to avoid drowning!".

Dumb is par for the course.

Tohuvabohu:
Here's a neat trailer that was just released, showing the different sort of HF blades available.:

^Weapons was something that's remained somewhat of a mystery so far.

These however only cover the HF Blades. But I have also seen gameplay of Raiden using Mistral's double-bladed Polearm.

I hope that means we get to use all the Desperado weapons. Monsoon's sai, Sundowner's cleavers, and Samuel's samurai sword.

"AUTHENTIC CIVILIAN DISGUISE" is the best thing in anything ever. Even more so if it had worked.

Not the best thing ever, because "the best is yet to come".
*worst MGS pun ever*

But Rising is looking more and more like a Day One Buy for me.

BeeGeenie:
"Metal Gear Rising Revengeance" goes on my list of dumbest titles I've ever heard.

Well, that's what happens when you take a series as dumb as MGS and combine it with a studio as dumb as Platinum. Not that either are necessarily bad, mind you. Just really, really stupid.

Anyway, me, I didn't like the demo. Maybe it would have been more fun if I'd known about some of the moves mentioned above, but it wouldn't change the fact that the controls are just really fucking awkward.

I guess OP really doesn't like watermelons.

ChupathingyX:

It looks terrible. Well, there goes my respect for the only japanese game series I actually respected.

It's definitely on my "Buy if I feel like I the time" list.
It's fluid and once you get used to the parry it works fine. Great over the top and thrilling action game. Nice for a change of pace to the usual strategy games I play

The demo was fun, but I made a decision not to go back to the Metal Gear franchise after MGS4, I felt it was a high note to bow out of and so I am.

I don't know about this game yet. The controls felt kinda clunky, though the combat was pretty fun once you get a nice rhythm going.

I do hope the final game does a better job of explaining its game mechanics. The demo does that poorly. Also, dedicated dodge button please.

Didn't like it, I felt like MGS had jumped the shark even more so than they have done before. The story is ridiculous, Raiden comes across as a try-hard edgy teen who listen to Linkin Park instead of a bad-ass, the story is set after MGS4 yet raiden is still a cyborg for some reason, the music is awful Nu-Metal/Drum n Bass shit and the combat/breaking stuff loses it's appeal very quickly. This has not brought my hopes down for Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain as I know Kojima didn't have much of an involvement, I can also discount the story as not being canon.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked