Metal Gear Rising demo

Having played the demo I am secure in my pre-order purchase, but I do have a few concerns, namely the camera and the parry/counterattack. There were times when I tried an epic slice only for Raiden to randomly turn around, and a few times the parry didn't seem to connect. Honestly though if I didn't delete the demo I probably would've played it all day. So does anyone else have some thoughts on the new direction this game is taking MGS, any hidden secrets to find, or something they loved or or disliked?

p.s. I already know about ninja cat.

I went into the demo looking to be bitterly disappointed.

I didn't like what i'd heard about it up until today.

I have to admit I was surprised. I quite enjoyed it. Still not pre-ordering (I don't pre-order anything anymore though so it's not this games fault) but i'll certainly be getting it at some point.

It does have it's issues. Combat is smooth but, as you said, slicing and parry tend to be a bitch sometimes. The camera can irritate but it's tolerable.

Overall I like what i've seen so far but it's only good for a one off. I wouldn't want more games along this road to do with Metal Gear.

MrDelicious:
Having played the demo I am secure in my pre-order purchase, but I do have a few concerns, namely the camera and the parry/counterattack. There were times when I tried an epic slice only for Raiden to randomly turn around, and a few times the parry didn't seem to connect. Honestly though if I didn't delete the demo I probably would've played it all day. So does anyone else have some thoughts on the new direction this game is taking MGS, any hidden secrets to find, or something they loved or or disliked?

p.s. I already know about ninja cat.

Well, it's not like the game is taking MGS in any "new direction. It's non-canon spinoff supposedly, which allows for it to exist parallel to the real MGS games. The camera is a bit finicky, yes, but everything else feels great. Parrying is a bitch at first, but once you get it down pat, it becomes second nature. I'm really happy they managed to keep the whole "slice anything" idea in blade mode, because that's what I really wanted to see when the game was still being developed by Kojima. So far, it's challenging without being unfair, and it looks and plays smooth as butter. I'll probably pre-order it this weekend.

fozzy360:

Well, it's not like the game is taking MGS in any "new direction. It's non-canon spinoff supposedly, which allows for it to exist parallel to the real MGS games.

Where did you read about it being non-canon?

From what I understand it IS cannon. Also this game isn't 100% Platinum, they took the unfinished game off Kojima and gave it a nip and tuck. And Kojima Productions haven't been silent partners once they handed it over, development has been described as a collaboration between the two.

At face value I could guess that most of the story will be Kojima Productions. I know some MGS fans hate the idea of a spinoff like this but it's best to think of the game as something akin to Persona 4 Arena where Persona Fans who didn't play fighters were happy to buy it to experience the story.

The downloadable demo from what I understand isn't a new build but the same as the months old ZOE HD pack in which is the same as what journalists played in E3 or whatever expo they all got first got their hands on it.

If correct there's a good chance all the demos faults have been ironed out by now.

Alright. From what I've read the game IS canon. When they said it wasn't a Metal Gear Solid game they just meant it isn't like a normal MGS game but it will be a part of the MGS universe.

In the tutorial theres a cardboard box you can use to hide in :D
Its at the very back on top of a platform
(Edit to give location)

It's fun enough.the combat is smooth and flashy. It could do with a dodge though... the gecko jump attack is hard to not get hit by. But once you get the parry down it helps a ton! Just wrecked the boss of the demo with a b ranking. I'll get it when the price drops I think.

I think platinum turned Raiden into old Dante. The one-liners from the boss fight have that good old DMC cheese. I'm OK with that.

I loved blade mode. Something about cutting things up any way i want is just so entertaining. First time through i cut everything to pieces. I hate how things disappear so fast after you cut them though. I can't make proper melon slices if i don't have the time to aim.

Very fun. Won't be pre-ordering it, because it's Kojima, and it's still probably full of 70 hours of "GUAARGH METAL GEAR" cutscenes but I'll pick it up at some point.

fozzy360:
I'm really happy they managed to keep the whole "slice anything" idea in blade mode, because that's what I really wanted to see when the game was still being developed by Kojima.

While it was previously being developed by Kojima productions, it was never being developed by Kojima himself, if that is what you meant.
The whole point of the project was to give Kojima's people a chance to make a game themselves, but they didn't want the pressure of working on a Metal Gear Solid game, so they instead opted to making one focused around Raiden between MGS2 and MGS4. Sadly I wish it was still focused around then, to explain the gap. I think Kojima was a bit harsh on his employees. Whilst I know Platinum will do a great job he essentially forced his team to work by themselves when they thought they couldn't, and when that seemed to come true he was all "Well, I'll get someone who can", even though he didn't even care about whether or not the game shoudl exist at all.
Sorry for the info dump if you were reading through this going "I know. I know. I know"

I should probably pre-order since I planned to get it since announcement and this hasn't at all discouraged me.

MrDelicious:
Alright. From what I've read the game IS canon. When they said it wasn't a Metal Gear Solid game they just meant it isn't like a normal MGS game but it will be a part of the MGS universe.

No, what they meant was it's literally not a Metal Gear Solid game. As in, it doesn't have Solid in the title. That may soon like a cop out if you don't remember that series' main name is just Metal Gear, with Metal Gear Solid being a continuation of it, having diifferent gameplay due to being in 3D. People who remember this probably wouldn't care as much about spin-offs. In the grand scheme it's more that it's a spin-off of a spin-off rather than merely being a branch from the main universe.

OT: I found it fun, and had played it from getting ZOE HD. It's good. The parry thing instead of any block or seemed weird, but I think any holes in explaining the gameplay will be filled. Although I'm not one for great finesse under pressure so I screwed up blade mode a lot. Also I could never tell what I was doing that allowed me to blade mode Geckos since it doesn't allow that straight away.

endnuen:
It could do with a dodge though...

forward+x+square = forward dodge

left/right+x+square = side dodge

x+square = back dodge

Best situation for this is while you're locked on one enemy and another enemy gets behind or beside you. It can definitely evade attacks too, but it's like, why not just parry?

I really enjoyed the demo. The parrying took a minute to master but it becomes second nature once you get the hang of it. Reminds me of trying to do brush techniques on the Wii version of Okami in that sense. I'll definitely pick it up once it's out when I can. My Metal Gear series marathon that I'm doing right now (currently on MGS3 HD, easily one of my top 5 favourite games) probably helped me enjoy it better too. The camera while dodgy at times didn't hinder me that greatly to be honest.

I wish there was a moves list. There's many moves available that most of you probably didn't even know about.

Like the stinger. (Forward + Forward + Attack)
Or the breakdance. (circle the stick and attack)

Overall though, I loved it. I love the music, I love the back-and-forth between the characters, I love slicing everything and I love how smooth it looks.

I hate to be that guy, but we already have a thread about this.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.399286-Metal-Gear-Rising-is-the-Best-Thing-Ever#16365454

OT: Yeah, the game was super awesome. I hope to god the game doesn't take itself too seriously, because it is unbelievably stupid and incredibly awesome. I had a lot of fun with it.

It's pretty good :D

Demo seems to lack polish, but I'm aware that it's months old.

Don't know if it's a day one for me, but I'll pick it up eventually.

The boss music was fucking sweet though :D

Soundtrack is awesome.
Graphics are awesome.
Combat is awesome.
Blade Mode is awesome.

So yeah...it's pretty damn good. Pre-ordered it as soon as I finished the demo.

AgentLampshade:
I wish there was a moves list. There's many moves available that most of you probably didn't even know about.

Like the stinger. (Forward + Forward + Attack)
Or the breakdance. (circle the stick and attack)

Overall though, I loved it. I love the music, I love the back-and-forth between the characters, I love slicing everything and I love how smooth it looks.

I imagine they'll implement a move list in the main game. If not, they'll probably just leave it to the player to find out the techniques on their own. Which isn't bad necessarily, it would allow the player to experiment around, which is fun in its own way.

I quite enjoyed the demo, but it definitely isn't a Konami/Kojima Metal Gear Solid game.

It's very much a Platinum game, with a Metal Gear skin on it. Great if you like their games.

Oh hey double post, sorry about that.

This is not the post you're looking for. It's up there ^

Cool game, but not worth the full price for me. I love all the recent Platinum games (Bayonetta and Vanquish) but they never have been games worth the full price for me and this one is not different.

Works really well but unless this is half price I would not call it worth it's salt, because it is just a simpler cheaper version of Bayonetta.
Made by the same guys too, yet for some reason not made as well.

Palademon:

MrDelicious:

No, what they meant was it's literally not a Metal Gear Solid game. As in, it doesn't have Solid in the title. That may soon like a cop out if you don't remember that series' main name is just Metal Gear, with Metal Gear Solid being a continuation of it, having diifferent gameplay due to being in 3D. People who remember this probably wouldn't care as much about spin-offs. In the grand scheme it's more that it's a spin-off of a spin-off rather than merely being a branch from the main universe.

OK I'm confused, is Metal Gear Rising part of the Metal Gear canon?

So I just got a chance to play this today. It was interesting.

I noticed a heavy amount of similarities to other Platinum games, namely Vanquish and Bayonetta. Particularly the ranking system, tutorial, and comm system seem to come right out of Vanquish, as well as the cutscene style. Speaking of the cutscene style, it didn't seem very "Metal Gear" for some reason. They're fine and all, and it might just be me, but it seems to be missing that Kojima style.

As for the gameplay, well it's something. We all know the story. That first trailer was amazing, and the hype was way high, but behind the scenes Kojima productions couldn't flesh it out into a full game, whereupon it was handed over to Platinum. So unfortunately I couldn't help but compare it to that original trailer. It's lost a lot of polish since then. Cutting things, a core gameplay mechanic is still pretty much as satisfying as you would imagine, but the physics are lackluster, and objects essentially disappear five seconds after you cut them. There's also a lot less detail as the objects are being cut. That being said, I still loved attempting to cut everything I saw into bits, and was pleased to find that you actually can cut a decent portion of the level apart at will.

Combat is a bit boring. Pretty much your standard beat-em-up devil may cry/bayonetta parry/dodge/weak attack/strong attack system. Slicing enemies to bits is fun, but you can generally only do it once you've already beaten them up for a while.

I think it definitely feels more like a Platinum game than a Metal Gear game, which is up to you to decide if that's good or not. Personally I would have preferred a more collaborative feel, where instead we essentially get Bayonetta gameplay with Raiden in the Metal Gear universe, but it's really too early to tell if the demo is gonna represent the whole game anyway.

As a side note, of the two demos I played today, the other being Dead Space 3, this was the most fun and appealing.

The more i played it the more i started to think: Man i really wish Sega would get around to making another Shinobi game. Seriously, imagine the TATE kills in Rising's Graphics engine! You're welcome...

OT:

Short version: It's awesome and i will by it.

Long Version: So far it not only appears to be everything i was hoping this game to be and more, but it also looks like it will help in supressing the existence of that awful DmC..thing we got. The fact I'm an insane metal gear fan who was more then happy to play as cyborg Ninja Raiden if given the opportunity AND the addition of a skin to play as the original cyborg Ninja Grey Fox (Via a skin) makes this so far the contender for Best game of the year for me.

But most importantly, it will finally allow us all to get revenge on the worst enemy of all gamers. An enemy that has mocked us, tormented us, and has hounded us over the course of nearly every single game imaginable and laughed at us despite all attempts to destroy these once indestructible foes.

I am of-course reffering to the untold horror that is.....TREE'S!

Enjoy your invincibility while you still can you pompous compost heaps! For I will soon wreak swift and painful vengeance upon ye!

MrDelicious:

Palademon:

MrDelicious:

Yes. Yes it is. It's part of the canon. I think you were merely mis-hearing the statement that it wasn't a Metal Gear Solid game, which is strictly isn't, but it's still in the whole Metal Gear universe, just as Metal Gear Solid is in the Metal Gear Universe. It's jsut that Rising is connected by way of Metal Gear Solid unvierse.

I initially found the controls to be 'clunky' but despite that I kept replaying the demo so I definitely enjoyed it. I was looking to pre-order it but I can't decide whether I want the steelbook or not. I don't know why I'm such a sucker for a metal case.

Umm I like how you can slice people in half, rip out their spinal cords and crush them to give you full health again. Oh and I couldn't beat that bloody dog thing for the life of me. Counterattacks should ALWAYS be a seperate button dammit.

I never played MGS4 but when did it become *not* a stealth game? Could you solo two... Mooing mechs? (wat?) and a load of guys in MGS4?

Regardless, Platinum Games are AWESOME and fuck me, it's an MGS game without absolutely fucktarded controls. I will get it at some point after it comes out because i've gone off caring about day one purchases due to having too many games to finish as it is.

Then again The Escapist will be spoilertastic the moment it comes out so maybe it's worth an early runthrough.

You can walk around during a Codec conversation. My god, they've solved the entire MGS: The Movie problem right there people! It's a step forward at least.

The Wykydtron:
Umm I like how you can slice people in half, rip out their spinal cords and crush them to give you full health again. Oh and I couldn't beat that bloody dog thing for the life of me. Counterattacks should ALWAYS be a seperate button dammit.

I never played MGS4 but when did it become *not* a stealth game? Could you solo two... Mooing mechs? (wat?) and a load of guys in MGS4?

Regardless, Platinum Games are AWESOME and fuck me, it's an MGS game without absolutely fucktarded controls. I will get it at some point after it comes out because i've gone off caring about day one purchases due to having too many games to finish as it is.

Then again The Escapist will be spoilertastic the moment it comes out so maybe it's worth an early runthrough.

You can walk around during a Codec conversation. My god, they've solved the entire MGS: The Movie problem right there people! It's a step forward at least.

The 'mooing mechs' are called Gekkos. They're bio-mechanical tanks based off of both Metal Gear RAY and Metal Gear REX, but they're not real Metal Gears because they lack nuclear capabilities. They're basically tanks that can cross any terrain.

And no, a single Gekko would fuck you up in MGS 4. The very first area in the entire game actually has Solid disguised as one of the militia (and traveling with them), and then you promptly watch a group of Gekko attack and just completely wipe everyone out without even trying. They're very resistant to small arms fire, although Snake was able to fight one off and escape at the beginning of the game. Later on, he does kill about twenty of them by himself in rapid succession, but at that point he's using a giant railgun. I don't remember if you can kill the Gekkos while riding on Drebin's tank thing, but eh.

You should totally play MGS4 though. It's seriously one of my favorite games ever.

Edit: Forgot to mention; Gekkos are autonomous, controlled by a rudimentary AI. So there isn't anyone inside or using a remote control or anything.

Kopikatsu:

The Wykydtron:

The 'mooing mechs' are called Gekkos. They're bio-mechanical tanks based off of both Metal Gear RAY and Metal Gear REX, but they're not real Metal Gears because they lack nuclear capabilities. They're basically tanks that can cross any terrain.

And no, a single Gekko would fuck you up in MGS 4. The very first area in the entire game actually has Solid disguised as one of the militia (and traveling with them), and then you promptly watch a group of Gekko attack and just completely wipe everyone out without even trying. They're very resistant to small arms fire, although Snake was able to fight one off and escape at the beginning of the game. Later on, he does kill about twenty of them by himself in rapid succession, but at that point he's using a giant railgun. I don't remember if you can kill the Gekkos while riding on Drebin's tank thing, but eh.

You should totally play MGS4 though. It's seriously one of my favorite games ever.

Edit: Forgot to mention; Gekkos are autonomous, controlled by a rudimentary AI. So there isn't anyone inside or using a remote control or anything.

Unfortunately I never bought a PS3 so that likely won't happen. They're relatively cheap now I suppose but it looks a bit pointless so late in its lifecycle. Perhaps if the PS4 has full backwards compatibility and decent launch releases I can play it then.

I was never really interested in all the PS3 exclusives anyway, God of War, Uncharted, MGS etc etc. Thinking about it all the exclusive games for anything are my least favourite for some reason. Halo 4 is boring as hell on the 360 side for example. Except the PS2 because the PS2 was the best console ever made by a human in terms of games. Maybe that's Persona 4 speaking but still.

I should get around to buying Shadow of the Colosuss to complete my PS2 classics collection. Along with Viewtiful Joe. I've several years late to the PS2 Party XD

I thought it was great, I had reservations after the 2nd trailer jumped the shark but it all turned out well. The main issues I had were not being able to block or dodge (if you could I couldn't figure out how) and the graphics. The graphics look fantastic but I can't help but feel that this game would be so much better on next gen consoles only, currently to keep the graphics and frame rate (which is a little shaky at the moment) they have to close you off when you get into a fight and restrict the amount of cut up "pieces" of things on the screen at once. Though this is a demo so things could change.

ALSO fuck that cat

The only problems I found were in the parry, and to a minor extent, the camera. After playing 3 times, I still couldn't get the thing to work. As for the camera, it was more of an annoyance when you keep trying to point it in the direction of an enemy you're trying to sneak up on and having it snap back to the direction you're running.

Additionally, why do games like MGR and Batman AC keep having phone calls where you are forced into a slow walking pace until it's over?

Captcha: Do More Sit-ups

MrDelicious:

Palademon:

MrDelicious:

Yes, it is and here is proof
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=d7BTtiAQuZ0#!

In the first minute Yuji Korekado, the creative producer, states that it is part of Metal Gear canon.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked