Game Grumps: Egoraptor Hated Old Dante.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

loa:
Maybe he meant that there are no stakes or rules established.
See: Asuras wrath. Asura just punches through pretty much everything, there's nothing he can't beat so there is no reference to how much he struggles, even if the battle seemingly goes bad he just pulls some sort of super power straight out of his ass and wins anyway.

Dante is kinda similar. At one point, he even gets impaled by his own sword and is kinda just "eh" so it's never clear what can even touch the guy at all and if you have a character that is literally untouchable in more ways than one, that's kinda boring.

You are playing the hero since when is the main hero not untouchable 95% of the time anyway?

That Hyena Bloke:

Hagi:
I personally don't really like over-the-top characters outside of parodies, which DMC doesn't seem to be.

Doesn't really make them objectively bad characters though, just different.

Technically from a literature standpoint, Dante IS an objectively bad character. He's pretty much the definition of a flawless Marty Stu stereotype and would likely be completely unbearable if portrayed through something like a novel. But we have to keep in mind that he's not really there to present an intriguing character, he's the requisite bad ass propping up a hack and slash action game and in that context he ticks all the boxes.

There is something to be said about being Dante.
It's actually really sad.
You never considered how sad of a life a mary sue would live and how much more relate-able than it would be than say.
Spider-man. I relate with Dante more than spiderman.
Do you know why? He's more than a cool guy if you actually look at his character overall.

A Smooth Criminal:

Denamic:

A Smooth Criminal:

Dante just constantly tries to act 'too cool for anything' throughout the entire series, and it just ends up looking really cliche and cheesy.

Isn't it kinda ironic to call Dante's character cliché when there's really no other characters like him? Actually, it's not only ironic, but a plain misuse of the word. Bayonetta is probably the only one that comes close to his style, but even she's got her own thing going.

No... Calling something cliche isn't a misuse of the word when I actually mean it's cliche.

Dante isn't the only character who acts like him. It's a character archetype you see commonly in japanese games and anime, and it's a REALLY dumb character personality that's so easily unlikable in my opinion.

And don't say I'm using a word wrong when you're only making assumptions... If I say cliche then I mean it.

Then how come I haven't seen a character like Dante in forever in videogames?
I've played plenty of jrpg's nobody was like him.
Perhaps you actually need to play jrpgs and watch anime.And since you say it's so common and unlikable the conclusion you don't actually watch anime and play jrpgs is made.
If you have go ahead give an example that is like him since you clearly grasped his character oh so well.

Characters are only interesting if they have flaws. Otherwise there is no challenge for them to overcome and it's boring.

Guitarmasterx7:
Characters are only interesting if they have flaws. Otherwise there is no challenge for them to overcome and it's boring.

Those flaws are often interesting things though, unresolved issues or conflicting emotions are things in a character which can make depth.

Having a character who just constantly walks around as if he's saying "i'm so cool i don't care about anything" is just dull.

GrimHeaper:

Perhaps you actually need to play jrpgs and watch anime.And since you say it's so common and unlikable the conclusion you don't actually watch anime and play jrpgs is made.
If you have go ahead give an example that is like him since you clearly grasped his character oh so well.

If I've come across it, and you haven't, then surely that must mean YOU'RE the one who doesn't watch anime or play JRPGs? I'm just saying, seeming as we're throwing out petty accusations simply because other people have different opinions.

And you want examples of people I think are similar to Dante in terms of personality? Hisao from Katawa Shoujo(at times), Ichigo, about 30% of the Naruto cast, Soul Evans at the beginning of the series, even Knuckles the hedgehog at certain parts of the videogames. Note that none of these characters are exactly like Dante 100%, that'd just be far fetched and dumb. However all of these characters follow his boring or snarkish attitude at several points throughout their series.

He felt shallow to me. All there was to him was that he was cool. Oh, and a big brother complex. Brilliant.

At the end of DMC3 he cries for the death of his brother, and right after he says that devils never cry... Okay, you could say that he is only half devil, but lets face it, that part was trying to get a (sad) reaction out of the player.

So yes, he is supposed to be relateable as well as entertaining. Too bad the writing sucked. Well, at least you can still find him entertaining when he's being cool. Personally, I found him a bit pretentious even before I saw the ending.[1]

It has never bothered me when Game Grumps have a differing opinion from me (though I wish they'd stop talking about Half Life 2). If it really bothers you that much, you can just stop watching them and grow a backbone.

A Smooth Criminal:

Guitarmasterx7:

Those flaws are often interesting things though, unresolved issues or conflicting emotions are things in a character which can make depth.

Having a character who just constantly walks around as if he's saying "i'm so cool i don't care about anything" is just dull.

I think what you're trying to say is that characters need to have depth.

[1] I only played DMC3 Special Edition

1:Who is Egoraptor?
2:Why should I care about his opinions?
3:I dont really care about DMC series anyways, I am just saying.

GrimHeaper:
You are playing the hero since when is the main hero not untouchable 95% of the time anyway?

I know that a bullet to the face would probably kill solid snake and getting stabbed kills link.
Knowing that there actually is an in-universe-sense-making possibility for failure creates tension if solid snake gets into shootouts or if link gets into swordfights.
What kills dante or asura? Why should I care if anything happens to them?

What I'm more interested in is the 3DS version. Sakurai has made it clear that he wants the 3DS version to communicate with the Wii U version, but also to let it have its own identity.

loa:

GrimHeaper:

I know that a bullet to the face would probably kill solid snake and getting stabbed kills link.
Knowing that there actually is an in-universe-sense-making possibility for failure creates tension if solid snake gets into shootouts or if link gets into swordfights.
What kills dante or asura? Why should I care if anything happens to them?

You do know what Snake and link survive through right?
Snake survives much worse things than "bullets to the face"
So does link. Neither of them are human in abilities.
It doesn't take as much to kill dante as say Asura.
Someone that can blow up a mountain could kill dante easily.
Asura takes a bit more someone that can destroy 2 solar systems.
Spiderman could kill Asura given the right situation.

A Smooth Criminal:

Guitarmasterx7:

GrimHeaper:

If I've come across it, and you haven't, then surely that must mean YOU'RE the one who doesn't watch anime or play JRPGs? I'm just saying, seeming as we're throwing out petty accusations simply because other people have different opinions.

And you want examples of people I think are similar to Dante in terms of personality? Hisao from Katawa Shoujo(at times), Ichigo, about 30% of the Naruto cast, Soul Evans at the beginning of the series, even Knuckles the hedgehog at certain parts of the videogames. Note that none of these characters are exactly like Dante 100%, that'd just be far fetched and dumb. However all of these characters follow his boring or snarkish attitude at several points throughout their series.

"Proceeds to list characters that are not like Dante at all"
"thinks he's made a point"

Um, who honestly cares? So what? I hate new Dante, will someone make a thread about me to discuss my opinion? Most likely not. I get that he's popular, and I enjoy his videos and Game Grumps, but his opinion's just that, it doesn't really need discussing or a 'thread' dedicated to it, whether you agree or not. Now if Dante's creator said he never liked the original Dante, then that'd be more noteworthy since he was the one who made Dante, but right now this is a thread dedicated to a short comment of one persons preference that was only noticed because he has internet celebrity status.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked