JRPG's that should be in someones library.

Against my better judgement for the well being of my wallet, I want to know what are some of the JRPG's that a fan of the genre should own. I want to have a list that i could reference when I get an opportunity to shop around a used game store. I am looking for both series and individual titles that I should keep my eye open for.

Ill list what I own or know enough about, if it is a series I'll list the series name.

Dragon Quest
Final Fantasy
Shin Megami Tensei
Front Mission
Fire Emblem
King's Field
Demon's & Dark Souls
Rogue Galaxy
Parasite Eve
Phantasy Star
Kingdom Hearts
Mother(Earthbound)

So what else should be in a JRPG fan's collection.
Edit: Thank you Kheapathic I actually spaced out that I owned Kingdom Hearts games.

The only restriction I have is no Saturn or Dreamcast only games since I do not have a way to play those.

Keep in mind that most of these are series, while some are singular games. Some also span various console iterations, I don't know how far back you'd plan to look so I'm mostly keeping it in the PS2 era.

.hack//, original and G.U. series.
Arc the Lad
Ar Tonelico
Atelier, old and newer series.
Disgaea
Fullmetal Alchemist
Grandia
Kingdom Hearts
La Pucelle
Lunar
Megaman X: Command Mission
Metal Saga
MS Saga
Odin Sphere
Phantom Brave
Radiata Stories
Shadow Hearts
Shining Force
Soul Nomad
Steambot Chronicles
Stella Deus
Suikoden
Tales of... anything really.
Valkyria Chronicles
Valkyrie Profile
Wild Arms
Xenogears/saga
Y's

EDIT: Random thought, I'm not sure how keen you are on the Shin Megami Tensei series as there's the main Devil Summoner line, but also other games that carry the SMT header. Of course there's the Persona series, but there's also the Digital Devil Saga (2 games), both are great.

Kheapathic:
snip

Thank you. I guess I messed up not saying this but I kind of wanted a quick description of some of them but that is a sizable list. I did mean SMT in the broadest sense possible so I do know of the Persona and Digital Devil Saga games (Golden was my reason to get a Vita).

...my poor wallet.

Dragon Quest
Radiant Historia
Suikoden
Nier
Final Fantasy
Star Ocean
Wild Arms
Tales of
Ni No Kuni
Xenoblade Chronicles
Last Story
Pokemon
Disgaea
Fire Emblem
Valkyria Chronicles
Mother
Dot Hack

Out of the ones not already mentioned,

Skies of Arcadia
Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings of the Lost Ocean

Consider that monster list in the second post seconded(for lack of a better word) but I'll throw in few specifics just to narrow it down somewhat: Wild Arms 3: a lovely Old West setting with clever puzzles,well rounded chracters and some nice game mechanics that I wish more RPG's would adopt. On the other hand avoid Wild arms 4/XF as they are awful ad have very little in commen with the first three outside the titular weapons

I don't know If you've had a shot at Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance but defiantly check it out it's probably one of the stronger handheld Kingdom Hearts.

I'm pretty sure you've played Persona 3/4 but if you haven't go change that, also The Raidou Kuzunoha series is SMT's taking on an non-turn based game and the second one is quite fun with a cheesy film noir feel. Feel free to ignore both versions of Persona 1(PS and PSP) as they are both awful in their own way.

I'd recommend any Tales of game but I'd start with Symphonia and work your way through from there. Yes,Symphonia can be a cliche hurricane but it's characters are really great so to make up it and the combat is fun as hell.

Code of Princess: I haven't played much of it but it has a funny script and solid 2-D fighting.

Dragon Quest 8 is amazing and unbiasedly old school, this game will kick your ass if your not prepared.The plot is nothing stellar yet enjoyable enough to keep you playing and it's refreshing in in it's simplicity. Same goes with gameplay, it's complex without being overwhelming.

Chrono Trigger? Is that a JRPG? I wouldn't know, I don't own any.

Final Fantasy
Chrono Trigger/Cross
Dragon Quest
Ni No Kuni
Rogue Galaxy
Dark Cloud

I'm realizing that I've never actually played a JRPG. Maybe I should try it sometime, but then I see all these titles and go "Aw, fuck, I don't know where to begin."

Persona 3/4 and Dark Souls.
Focus on these for the time being then get everything else.

ComradeJim270:
I'm realizing that I've never actually played a JRPG. Maybe I should try it sometime, but then I see all these titles and go "Aw, fuck, I don't know where to begin."

Then I just did you a favour.

There is only one JRPG which needs to be in someone's library, and that one is Fire Emblem Rekka no Ken. Screw all of the other Fire Emblem games. This game is so replayable, you can play through it 3 times without boredness striking you.

It is by far the best Fire Emblem game, with the coolest animations, the most likable characters and a decent length.

I am still bitter at Nintendo for not making Lyn or Hector playable characters in Smash Bros Brawl, and I'm still bitter knowing that they'll replace Ike or Marth with Croum and not one of these two.

ComradeJim270:

Literally just pick a title and play it. You really can't go wrong from these lists. Hell, plug them into Random.org's list randomizer and play them in that order. I do that myself from time to time when deciding which game to play. Though of course, you should count a series as a whole. Don't want to accidentally play them out of order and spoil things, now would you?

jebara:
Persona 3/4 and Dark Souls.
Focus on these for the time being then get everything else.

ComradeJim270:

Then I just did you a favour.

I actually have played Dark Souls, I guess I just didn't mentally file it under "JRPG". I really should get back to playing that, soon.

A thousand times chrono trigger.

Followed by The World ends with you, a slightly odd DS title which you must play. Just play it. Now. Do it.

not a fanboy I swear

Infinite Space.
Golden Sun.
That is all.

Vagrant Story

I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet.

Terranigma. I say this because it's the only "JRPG" that I have ever liked. I generally detest the genre, but as an SNES real time action RPG title, it's actually pretty good.

Shadow Hearts Convenant! I freaking love that game so much. Fun battle system and a gay wrestling superhero vampire who fights with a telephone booth in the 1920's. (I'm not making that up)

A Smooth Criminal:
There is only one JRPG which needs to be in someone's library, and that one is Fire Emblem Rekka no Ken. Screw all of the other Fire Emblem games. This game is so replayable, you can play through it 3 times without boredness striking you.

damn right. I think I've played through that game at least 10 times.

A Smooth Criminal:

It is by far the best Fire Emblem game, with the coolest animations, the most likable characters and a decent length.

...except for Geneology of the holy war, which has a much better story and main characters. Rekka does have the best supporting cast, though.

OT: The World Ends with you. Such a good game.

I think they've all been more or less rounded up, the only JRPGs I don't see listed anywhere are Final Fantasy Tactics, a strategy role-playing game, and Makai Kingdom, by the same guys that make the Disgaea and Phantom Brave games (they're all SRPGs).

The only one that I definitely recommend that I don't think has been named so far is Lost Odyssey.

I also really enjoyed The Last Remnant but I can realise that it isn't a game for everyone.

With parasite eve make sure to get only the first one since after that it turns from a Action rpg into a mostly action series and the story after one is kinda poo.

Nobody seems to have mentioned Tales of Phantasia. THIS IS A CRIME! If you have a GBA or SP kicking around (or a DSlite) you can get this overlooked gem on Amazon for less than a modern triple-A console release. If you're into JRPGs that were on the SNES (like Chrono Trigger) then you owe it to yourself to grab a copy of Tales of Phantasia.

Well a lot of good ones have been mentioned alreadybut my top 3 would be:-

Final Fantasy VII
[Valkyria Chronicles] (I would not call this a JRPG but whatever, some do)
Xenoblade Chronicles
Persona 4

Zeckt:
Shadow Hearts Convenant! I freaking love that game so much. Fun battle system and a gay wrestling superhero vampire who fights with a telephone booth in the 1920's. (I'm not making that up)

I loved Shadow Hearts covenant 2 it was so frikkin good although the wheel did grate after 40 plus hours. All I used to do was get the fire demon form charge next attack to 300% and then release as long as you didnt mess up the wheel it would carry you throughout almost the entire game including Solomon. Or just use the ultimate form which was ofc awesome but it was quite late until this was possible. Also dont forget the giant pink kitten boss :)

I think anyone who classifies JRPGs are linear, un-customizable single-route stories that feature annoying whiny characters with slow turn-based combat should play Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne.

Nocturne isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it does feature a very deep world despite having a very low character count. It has a morality system of sorts that effects the ending, but the various ending are all varied and aren't just your standard "good, evil, neutral" endings. The combat does feature random encounters and turn-based combat, but Atlus is awesome at taking turn-based combat and making it into something that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Also, each encounter is practically like a puzzle, which keeps all battles interesting.

Chrono Cross:
While Chrono Trigger maybe the one that gets all 'the love'...
I think, in some ways, CC is the better game.

The story, characters, graphics, music, even the overall world is a LOT more 'casual friendly'.

It's one of the VERY few JRPGs I can play for either half a hour or twenty hours straight.

Suikoden. Warren Spector's (Deus Ex, System Shock) favorite game of all time, and the primary inspiration for his work.
Suikoden II. The Citizen Kane of video games.
Suikoden III. The best PS2 game hands down.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked