buying a Gaming PC on Ebay

yes I know "gaming PC" and "Ebay" in the same sentence may be cause for concern, hence why I'm asking for some advice

I've been looking around at pre-built systms (yes yes, I know it costs more but bare with me here) and out of curiosity I checked out Ebay

I'm in Australia and there are some Australian based sellers,

of coarse the systems they have seem a bit medocre in terms of graphics card and such..you can however upgrade amongst all that confusing garish red text

plus the sellers have high ratings (not that thats 100% fullproof)

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=gaming+PC&_sacat=0&_from=R40

so I'm wondering if anyone (Autralian or otherwise) has had experience with such sellers.Or if it looks legit or not...my instincts tell me to be cautious but at the same time I'm wondering if its actually legit...

aside from that are there any other trustworthy Australian sites? I know pre builds may be a dead end but I at lesst want to look into it

PS: I also fucking love that Alienware/dells idea of "customization" is the processor and a bunch of other useless bullshit... wasn't there a time where you could ACTUALLY customize dell computers?

Vault101:
snip
PS: I also fucking love that Alienware/dells idea of "customization" is the processor and a bunch of other useless bullshit... wasn't there a time where you could ACTUALLY customize dell computers?

HOLY CRAP YES that is such bullshit; My mother was looking to buy a laptop recently and after a bit of confusion at the lame retailers around here I thought "Why not just get a Dell? You'll be able to have it pretty much tailor-made to suit your needs!" HA! Fat fucking chance! I spent so much time trying to find a customizable model... I couldn't believe they had really ditched that...

Anyways, OT: I have bought some things on E-Bay, but not a gaming PC. The thing about reliable sellers on there is to spot the accounts that are obviously "Merchants" (as in, not just some dude getting rid of stuff). It's obvious by the pages for their items and if they've got tens of thousands of ratings, then they're a pretty safe bet.

I checked that link and the prices seem alright (for all I know of the Australian market and currency)... Confusing and garish are just about the perfect words for their system though. From what I've seen of E-Bay, I would trust the seller you linked.

Also, I'd like you to know that building your own PC is really not as arcane and complex as it seems, if you're willing to try. As long as you buy compatible parts, it's like building IKEA furniture!

I wish I could help you with Australian stores, but my Canadian ass wouldn't know about that. If you want to learn to put together your own however, that's something I can help with.

Mr.Tea:
it's like building IKEA furniture!

Always something missing with inadequate instructions?

Mr.Tea:
snip.

thanks for the advice! and yeah it does make me sad that dell no longer customizes

I see what you mean about Dell. Most of their machines are suddenly not customisable. Some (but not all) of the Alienware models still have it though, although I expect that will change too.

Alfador_VII:
I see what you mean about Dell. Most of their machines are suddenly not customisable. Some (but not all) of the Alienware models still have it though, although I expect that will change too.

I checked out alienware and noooooooope just the processor

speaking of which should I avoid AMD processors? or can I get away with it?

Have you tried a local P.C. store? Some of them will let you customize a P.C. and build it for you. I can't be 100% sure of this, as I've only ever heard about it, but it might be worth a try.

In my opinion Alienware is very overpriced, its like you are paying double the price just for some flashy lights on your case. My advice is to check out MSY, don't be put off by their god awful website, they have very good prices and will build the computer you want for you if you want them to.

http://www.msy.com.au/systems.jsp

Vault101:

If you're on a tight budget then there is nothing wrong with AMD processors. An i5 3570k will give you the best performance for the price though.

ShinyCharizard:

Vault101:

If you're on a tight budget then there is nothing wrong with AMD processors. An i5 3570k will give you the best performance for the price though.

Generally, intel processors pack the best bang for the buck.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,review-32612.html

EDIT:

Vault101:
I'm quoting you for attention.

I took a quick look and found 2 gaming builds, one for AU$ 500 an one for AU$ 1000.

The $500 build has a bit of a slow CPU, and the case isn't the prettiest, but it's got some good bang for the buck. It should run most games at sort of meduim/high settings in 1080p(you do have a 1080p monitor, don't you?).

The $1000 buildcomes with a much faster processor and a better graphics card. This bad boy should easily max out any game you throw at it without a problem and it looks prettier too.

Both come from a seller with a large number of positive reviews. Sadly, neither of these options come with windows 7, because I wasn't able to find one that did with my limited ability to search Australian websites (grrrr). Windows 7 does cost an extra $100, but it's fairly easy to install and run.

'Snot much, but it's a start. You might want to consider either of these options. If anyone who's smarter/more motivated than me thinks that they can find a better build, go ahead. I spent about 2 minutes searching for both of these, so they're hardly the best.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked