Your favourite cutscene?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Does anyone have a particular cutscene in a game that you really like and why? Post them here

Being quite the fan of needless melodrama this one from DMC4 is one of my favourites. Who the fuck thought this one up?

I do think it might have benefited from having the gunshot start the fight immediately instead of going on for one last speech but maybe that's just me.

Best introduction cutscene IMHO.

Sarevok you are such a badass.

For me, it has to be the borderlands 2 opening, or the portal 2 ending. For spoilers sake, I will only post BL2's opening:

There's just something about how the whole cinematic comes together, referencing many things about the plotline and it's the same as the first game's intro, yet completely different.

Trull:
Snip

I love the borderlands intro cut scenes, they pick such great music for them. So great in fact that I purchase the songs the same day I play the damn game xD

The intro to Fallout 1 is something I always found particularly striking. I like how the series always gave you a brief glimpse into the pre-war past before the stark reality of the wasteland, and the exposition afterwards never seemed out of place.

A lot of gems from Metal Gear. Overall I'd say the first fight between Vamp and Raiden in MGS4 is my favorite cutscene of all time, it's got probably the most interesting fight scene choreography I've ever seen and I love the way it makes such a point of straddling the line between realism and absurdity. (ie unlike many games while it's obvious ridiculous, it feels like the whole thing was done with live-action and practical effects (as opposed to visual effects) even though it's in a videogame. Reminds me a lot of the fights in Kamen Rider, y'know?

One of the first ones I ever saw, still love it. Plus I just like Squall as a character.

two for me. either the intro for system shock or homeworld where you return to kharak

Best intro would probably have to go to Freedom Fighters, just because in the span of two minutes it manages to make intimidating antagonists and get across how much the world has changed.

Ominous Russian Choir FTW!

The Killzone intro is also pretty awesome, simply because it manages to get everyone who plays the game to fall in love with the villains of the series.

Great Grey Wolf Sif, from Dark Souls gets one thanks to the sheer intimidation you feel when his cutscene plays.

My favorite opening was Chrono Cross.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=923fVDDwaHo

My favorite scene was probably Xenosaga Episode I's ending. I don't know how many times I fought that final boss just to watch this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0NMXp6DLqY

Any cutscene where Max Payne...opens a door! Seriously though, I actually liked them. It was a nice, short break from the ultra-violence.

Diablo III (well, Blizzard in general) had some AMAZING cutscenes.

But this was my favourite.

I've answered this question in so many identical threads asking this exact question. If you really want to know, search this topic and they'll be millions of answers

The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. ending where the protagonist basically dooms the world and is forced to spend an enternity in darkness...

...its seriously a hell of a lot better, and more chilling, than it sounds.

Easy. The ME2 ending cutscene.

Best intro? Borderlands. The first one, 2 was lacking a certain something, took itself too seriously in places. And the song for BL1 felt way more appropriate.

Favourite overall? Probably the scene on Rannoch with Tali if Shep romanced her. It's just so perfectly done, probably my favourite part of ME3 (I will admit to a raging warboner during the fleet arrival, however).

The SHODAN reveal in System Shock 2 (though it was technically a setpiece). I already knew what the plot twist would be, but I never expected... this. Between its difficulty, claustrophobia, and scares, the game already had me tenser than a mousetrap. So when the voice started I was glad to have a brief rest, but when I walls peeled away... hoooo-lyyyyy shit>.

(Mind, this isn't nostalgia talking; I'd never played this game until last year.)

Aw c'mon OP I don't even have a chance if you post the one I was thinking of.
This is a close second from DMC3 though http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3taZ54Bvhds#t=272s

"I COMMAND YOU TO SURRENDER THAT AI!"
"No sir"

Halo 4

I personally like this gem from Psychonauts:

I just love Dr. Loboto.

Hitman: Absolution had some pretty good ones. There was one near the end that I especially liked:

Not sure if you'd consider them "cutscenes" (well, some of them turn out to be), more "killing animations", but I always enjoyed the boss kills as Death from Darksiders 2.

I remember seeing this in a PSN magazine a LONG time ago...

I ended up making an impulse buy with my meager allowance money to get Chrono Cross NEW because of it.

No reviews, just that one opening and a game play preview.

To this day I still get goosebumps seeing and hearing it.

Alidrasha:

Man, I just watched this again, I forgot how lame the sound is in it. Not only do they have sound in space, but they didn't even manage to make the mass drivers sound powerful! Maybe it's because my brain automatically overwrites the soundtrack of everything from the final approach to the end with Two Steps From Hell. Shepard could've done a way better speech there, too, instead of just giving orders.

I liked this display of the Sith Emperor's power at the end of the second Act of the Jedi Knight's story in SWTOR.

Though, it's not the best video.
Looks like a dark sided Jedi Knight playthrough.

None particularly sprung to mind.

I'm going to cheat and choose the Dr. Nefarious cutscenes from R&C: A Crack in Time.

They're fairly short and are quite hilarious.

All games I own have one, but if I have to narrow it down:

All cinematics from Warcraft III come to mind.
Courtney Gears music video from Ratchet and Clank 3.
Suteki Da Ne and the ending in Final Fantasy X.
The endings of Soul Reaver 2 and Defiance, Legacy of Kain.
Shepard floating away in the beginning of Mass Effect 2 and the run back to Normandy in the end.

In no particular order.

Tanis:
I remember seeing this in a PSN magazine a LONG time ago...

I ended up making an impulse buy with my meager allowance money to get Chrono Cross NEW because of it.

No reviews, just that one opening and a game play preview.

To this day I still get goosebumps seeing and hearing it.

I hate opening videos like this.
No original content.
They just use bits and pieces from the movies throughout the game to piece together an opening.
So lazy.

Don't get me wrong, I still loved the game enough to play through it multiple times.
Just hate that opening.

You have to appreciate the good storytelling...

Pretty much anything from Blizzard...

The ending cutscene for Metal Gear Solid 3 had me on the floor in tears.

bananafishtoday:
The SHODAN reveal in System Shock 2 (though it was technically a setpiece). I already knew what the plot twist would be, but I never expected... this. Between its difficulty, claustrophobia, and scares, the game already had me tenser than a mousetrap. So when the voice started I was glad to have a brief rest, but when I walls peeled away... hoooo-lyyyyy shit>.

(Mind, this isn't nostalgia talking; I'd never played this game until last year.)

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. SHODAN is quite possibly my favorite villain from a game, and this scene is one of her best moments. Everything mixes so perfectly; the fluctuating, creepy voice, her face on the monitor, Polito's corpse in the office chair before you, it's all so great.
No nostalgia here, either. I first played it nearly 2 years ago, and I've replayed it at least 6 times since. It may be old, but it never gets old.

Also:

It's cheesy, it's stupid, the voicework is awful... and by God, I love every second of it!
I can recite the whole thing by heart. Maybe it's just because I've played Clock Tower so many times, and I've seen it so many times, but I have the whole thing memorized.
Oh, and I love how hard the narrator emphasizes the 'question' aspect of the question at the end; it's like he's surprised while he's reading it.

I suppose one of the more memorable ones is the scene from Kotor 2 where Kreia confronts the Exile in the Jedi Enclave. I realize that it's just an eight minute monologue, but it's also one of the best examples why Kreia absolutely defines the game for me.

lRookiel:
Best introduction cutscene IMHO.

I'm actually kinda partial to the EE version of this. It was a bit cheesy even back in the day, and the early 3D animation isn't helping any. The comic book style of the new one just fits, not to mention makes Sarevok look even more imposing.

Because who doesnt love laughter?

In all seriousness, I love the ending to FFX. It's a truly wonderful game.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked