Firefly: The Game

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Everybody here knows about Firefly, right? OK.

Why have they not made a Firefly game yet? Both 20th Century Fox and Universal Studios have some rights (Fox to the show, Universal to the movie), and Universal at least has shown willingness to license the franchise. It seems like an excellent property to develop for a video game: A franchise with a famously loyal fan base that also extends into much of the rest of geek culture (the primary buyers for video games) and they get to splash Joss Whedon's name in the marketing, which can't be bad for business.

What's more, it doesn't have to be a AAA game with a massive investment in money: depending on where the developers get the license from, they can reskin some landscapes from other games as Persephone (basic city) and/or various Outer Planets (any wilderness they have lying around. Even the core gameplay can be a basic third-person action-adventure style, as you play a captain leading his crew in smuggling missions (or even as the crew of Serenity itself, if they feel that would be a bigger draw).

Alternatively, if they feel it warrants it, they could produce an open-world game where you explore the universe conducting deals (many of which are not strictly speaking legal). Introduce an RPG system of leveling up the player character and outfitting the ship, as well as a companion system to collect and control your cast of misfits, and you have a game with the same basic elements of Mass Effect, but with a well-established property that you can be sure will draw a lot of positive support and press (and therefore stand a better than even chance of making money).

So my question to you is in two parts:
1) Should they make a Firefly game?

2) Do you think my idea is any good, or do you have a better one for such a hypothetical game?

They won't make a game of it. The movie cost $39 million and only took $38.8 million at the box office.

Name one good movie/show-turned-game. I dare you, I double dare you.

its possible they did make a tabletop rpg of it

The issue with making a firefly game is the setting isnt all that interesting. People watched it because of the relationship between the characters. The only real way to do a firefly game is to get all the characters back in there and quite honestly I was sick of firefly reuinions after Halo ODST.

Johnny Novgorod:

King Kong

Seriously if you cant enjoy destroying a city as a gigantic gorilla then you need tor reasses your standards. However for firefly I agree I dont think it would turn out well

Johnny Novgorod:

Lord of the Rings
S.T.A.L.K.E.R
The Walking Dead
Star Wars
Star Trek

I think I've made my point.

OT: Because Fox can't decide if it loves or hates Firefly. That said I would be open to it if they did it right.

I don't think I'd like a Firefly game, since the best way to do it would be to make it semi-rougelike and you wouldn't end up with the characters from the show, which is easily the best part. I'd love to see a game heavily inspired by Firefly, but not a direct license.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned this yet. There's been one in dev for a while now. Well... kinda sorta.

http://fuo.wikia.com/wiki/Firefly_Universe_Online_Wiki
http://darkcryo.com/

It was apparently in development, canned because of legal trouble, as of 2011 brought back from the dead claiming to have funding and citing its "fair use" status (snerk) as affectionate parody. Also apparently, they'll have a Kickstarter in 8 days.

(For the record, I think anyone who contributes to their upcoming Kickstarter is insane.)

If it's real and not some elaborate hoax or scam, Fox's lawyers will prolly kill it. If they somehow manage to release, it'll prolly be terrible.

Be careful what you wish for.

It'd have to be in a similar format to The Walking Dead if they did it.
And if it was like that then they'd need a new crew to stop continuity fuck ups.
And if they did that nobody would buy it because half the reason to watch Firefly is Mal. So no thanks.

wombat_of_war:
its possible they did make a tabletop rpg of it

Yeah, they called it Serenity. I can't say how good it was, but it proves that they are at least willing to pull the license out of storage.

albino boo:
They won't make a game of it. The movie cost $39 million and only took $38.8 million at the box office.

But wouldn't game development allow Fox/Universal to stay at arms length? I'm not a lawyer, but could they not sell the rights to make a Firefly game (rights currently earning them zero dollars) to a publisher in return for a up-front fee and a percentage of sales revenue? It seems like they have the opportunity to earn money without having to risk anything.

(Besides, although the film didn't make back the money at the box office, it has been released and rereleased several times on DVD, and there the eternal hope of fans that it may lead to a sequel.)

Johnny Novgorod:

Riddick?

Oh come on, you got to stab convicts in the eye with an icepick! An ICEPICK!

Saviordd1:

Johnny Novgorod:

Lord of the Rings
S.T.A.L.K.E.R
The Walking Dead
Star Wars
Star Trek

OT: Because Fox can't decide if it loves or hates Firefly. That said I would be open to it if they did it right.

Wasnt STALKER based on a book, not a show/movie?

If I am wrong, please for the love of god link me to that show or movie because I will go out and buy it as soon as I am off work!

Nope.

I could only it envision it as either being a) a big huge open world RPG, overall pretty much atypical of every RPG within the last gen or so, or b) some sort of ship commander game.

Frankly, there just is not enough stuff in the setting to make a decent game out of it. The stuff that is there wouldn't be very compelling video game material. There are a million and one other settings which could do anything a hypothetical Firefly game can do a million times better.

I love the hell out of Firefly, but the Firefly is the heart of it, as should be remembered.

There wouldn't be a firefly game for the same reason there isn't a firefly show still being made. It's not profitable enough.

FelixG:
uote]

If I am wrong, please for the love of god link me to that show or movie because I will go out and buy it as soon as I am off work!

Stalker is based off of the book: Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky. I can't say if it's good or not, as it's been out of print for a long time, and I only just got a copy this Christmas(They issued another printing of it,) but have not read it yet.

There is a movie Stalker http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079944/

I would definitely not recommend it though, I found it extremely boring and poorly executed despite what IMDB users may say.

Johnny Novgorod:

Bladerunner by Westwood Studios (1997)
Goldeneye on N64
Star Trek 25th Anniversary by Interplay
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Star Trek: The Next Generation "A Final Unity" (1995)
Ghostbusters: The Video Game by Atari (2009)

Mycroft Holmes:
There wouldn't be a firefly game for the same reason there isn't a firefly show still being made. It's not profitable enough.

FelixG:
uote]

Stalker is based off of the book: Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky. I can't say if it's good or not, as it's been out of print for a long time, and I only just got a copy this Christmas(They issued another printing of it,) but have not read it yet.

I would definitely not recommend it though, I found it extremely boring and poorly executed despite what IMDB users may say.

Huh 0.o Amazing!

Well, I have Netflix so I can see what its like with no real skin off my nose if I dont like it!

Johnny Novgorod:

Windcaler:

Johnny Novgorod:

King Kong

quite serious. Your passive agressive meme video is an exceptionally poor counter to what was a fantastic movie game

Johnny Novgorod:

Spider-man 2 (but that's really about all I got).

Saviordd1:
Lord of the Rings
S.T.A.L.K.E.R
The Walking Dead
Star Wars
Star Trek

FizzyIzze:

Riddick?

Oh come on, you got to stab convicts in the eye with an icepick! An ICEPICK!

Those are cheating a bit (with the exception of Lord of the Rings of course) since rather than being straight TV show/movie tie-ins they're good games based in existing franchises, which as we all know, is very possible (the Arkham series and the High Moon Transformers games for instance). Games like Republic Commando, Battlefront, or KotOR don't count as movie tie-ins.

FelixG:

Mycroft Holmes:

FelixG:
uote]

Huh 0.o Amazing!

Well, I have Netflix so I can see what its like with no real skin off my nose if I dont like it!

I hope it's not the same movie a friend once loaned me. It was like 4 hours long. One scene involved some guys trying to get past this small patch of grass. I think I got around 40 minutes in and they were still trying to pass this "zone" when I finally gave up.

"Did you like the movie?"

"Uh...sure, why not!"

*Scratch that. You're right, I might as well check it out again.

StashAugustine:
I don't think I'd like a Firefly game, since the best way to do it would be to make it semi-rougelike and you wouldn't end up with the characters from the show, which is easily the best part. I'd love to see a game heavily inspired by Firefly, but not a direct license.

I quite liked The Thing from 2002.
Also, Golden Eye!
That makes what? Two?

Windcaler:

Johnny Novgorod:

King Kong

Seriously if you cant enjoy destroying a city as a gigantic gorilla then you need tor reasses your standards. However for firefly I agree I dont think it would turn out well

I loved how they handled guns in that game.

O.T didn't they make an MMO?

What made Firefly great is the Characters, well for me anyways. The show didn't last long enough to build upon its universe enough, and the movie concluded all the interesting conflict away. Sigh* While a couple of video games based on movies/shows that a legitimately good, I feel they haven't exactly cracked the code yet its more 50-50 on whether or not a movie game will be good.

No, I don't think they could pull off a firefly game. Maybe base it on the war between the Brown coats and the Alliance, that could be fun.

Windcaler:

Johnny Novgorod:

Windcaler:

King Kong

quite serious. Your passive agressive meme video is an exceptionally poor counter to what was a fantastic movie game

Someday I may think of a better retort, but King Kong will always be a bad game.

Off Topic: Anyone Notice the guy with the Zim Avatar and the guy with the Grr Avatar are getting in a disagreement? Just something I find funny in this thread.

OT: I was really thinking about that a game based on the Brown coats would be awesome. Expanding upon the whole war a little more, maybe playing as Mel.

Johnny Novgorod:

Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds was a pretty decent game.

As for a Firefly game, meh. I liked the show but I'd rather have a game based on Babylon 5.

Johnny Novgorod:

Enter the Matrix. It had some of the shittiest textures and models, but damn if it wasn't fun.

I'd play the shit out of a Firefly space-sim.

Anything else would be kinda iffy, but I would love to have something along the lines of the X series set in the 'verse.

albino boo:

And ruled home video purchases for months. The fan base for Firefly is (let's be honest) mostly nerds who don't go to movie theaters. A game might sell well.

Johnny Novgorod:

Windcaler:

Johnny Novgorod:

King Kong

You just used a clip from a movie that had a video-game released with that is often considered one of the best games from 2004. So yeah, way to answer your own question.

And I don't know about you dude, but I heavily enjoyed the King Kong video game. And we're not the only ones either. The game received very high praise. Just look at the reviews.

Johnny Novgorod:

Batman, Arkham City. LOTR Return of the King for PS2. It has been done just not as frequently.

As to the thread - I don't see Firefly as a good game - it'd have to be a game like Dear Esther where it's all text because Firefly was all about the story. It wasn't about the action. The Doctor's sister becomes a cool character in Serenity (the movie). She would work well for a game, but the other characters would be boring to play.

Farscape might work better because there are three characters that would lend themselves well for a game.Aeryn, Dargo, and the Delvian preiestess would be awesome. The other characters would have to be used for something else...oh and that grey chic too, she would work realy well.

I'd check it out if they tried a Firfly game though, especially if Joss Whedon had anything to do with it. That man knows how to write for multiple characters.

CaptOfSerenity:

albino boo:

And ruled home video purchases for months. The fan base for Firefly is (let's be honest) mostly nerds who don't go to movie theaters. A game might sell well.

The whole super hero franchises make profits at the box office and rule the purchase charts for months. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed firefly but the reality is that the show has failed the bums on seats test on TV and in the movies. Whedon hasn't had a success since Buffy/angle, which had the now cliched emo vampire boyfriend and thus had an appeal to girls. Its noticeable that his current work is a super hero spin off an not a new idea. Super hero IPs have an advantage in that guys that are now grandfathers grew up reading the comics and when they have the grandkids they take them to names they remember and so they are not just relying on the nerd market.

Mycroft Holmes:

FelixG:
uote]

The movie Stalker is based off the novel "Roadside Picnic", I saw it the other day it is in the opening credits. But yeah, I agree the film was no good. Maybe if it was half an hour shorter it would have been ok as the filming was pretty amazing.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked