It's official, Devil May Cry fans are the worst fans ever

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I am so happy to see this game flopped. This will probably spell doom for the series, but I no longer care. I just don't want to see it carry on like this.

ShadowRatchet92:
Update: I am now aware that the white house petition was just joke and I thank everyone for telling me about it. I also want to note when I'm talking about a fan base, i'm being very general. I'm aware that their are sane fans out there who either A) aren't pissed off by the new game and B) who don't like but aren't like the folks on meteoritic. That said, I still think that this situation is still pretty stupid. It's now shown that Boycott is now a joke and won't be taken seriously. So, if an issue that is important, it'll be written off as childish complaints. Boycott is a powerful word, but, in the gaming community, it's a joke.

original story:
We've seen some pretty stupid boycotts and petitions. From Mass Effect fans wanting the ending changed, to Left 4 Dead 2 for being announced, we've seen many boycotts, but of all the ones, this one takes the fucking cake. Remember when Sonic fans complained about Sonic 4 and eyes being green and they were gonna buy Sonic 1 instead? Well, Devil May Cry fans take that a step further to prove how stupid they are and now make a petition to get it pulled of store shelves:

http://www.screwattack.com/news/devil-may-cry-fans-will-whine
http://kotaku.com/5977888/devil-may-cry-fans-this-is-not-how-democracy-works

Are you kidding me? This the biggest load I've heard. You don't own Devil May Cry nor are you part of it's development. You buy the game, that's it. If your so upset with the new one, then either don't buy it or buy HD collection or Devil May Cry 4. Tell me how the hell does this "violates our rights to have a choice between the original's or the reboot," if the originals are still available on current consoles? Also, Simply because "it changed so much" is not a good reason. Why don't I make a petition to get a new Bionic Commando for the PS3 and 360 or a new Resident Evil game because it wasn't like the old games? Oh, and just because you didn't want a reboot is not a good enough reason either. If so, then we should go out and destroy every movie remake ever made because no one wanted a Remake of Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elms Street, and Total Recall.

Anyone else getting tired of all the "x fans are the worst ever!" crap that so many people keep spewing? Hearing all about how every single person who's a fan of ME / MLP / Star Wars / Star Trek / Twilight / ICP / rap / Beiber / CoD / Halo / DMC / Sonic / furry / BF / Valve / Bethesda / WoW / sports / Nintendo / PS3 / Xbox 360 / PC gaming / etc. are unholy abominations who think the world revolves around them (even though that's almost always a loud minority of said group) got really old a long, long time ago. No, whatever fandom you hate is not the worst ever. It never is. There are FAR too many fandoms out there for that fandom to compete with, especially once politics and religion get involved (btw, please don't turn this into an R&P debate, whoever reads this). Considering how many people the DMC fandom HASN'T literally killed in real life, they definitely haven't deserved that title.

I will give you this though - you are definitely right about boycotts being a joke in the gaming community, as are petitions. Has a boycott or petition ever worked in the gaming industry?

geru45gyik:
I leave this here.

Nope... You are using the new Total Recall as a example, which is not only a bad remake, but a bad movie all together. If you are trying to get you point across try actually using one remake or reboot which was good.
DmC may be a bad reboot of the franchise, but it's a solid game on it's own. If DmC wasn't been called DmC instead something of "Jorge in the Shiny Land" (I can't name things for shit) or whatever it would get much less hate that it get, now if Total Recall was named "The Great Brit Elevator" it wouls still be a shallow movie with the best goddamn title ever, the wasted oportunity to have a girl-on-girl scene with that one chick from Underworld and the other one from Texas Chainsaw Massacre and overall interesting but shallow of a story.

Captcha: Talk to strangers.

Well that's a nice lesson for the kids.

I have one simple question: If the reboot uses nothing of the original IP except in name only, then why didnt they use an original IP instead of buying that one?

Devil May Cry didnt have a monopoly on Hack & Slash games, there are plenty of those going around (Bayonetta) and even Ninja Theory made lots of games with that gameplay style, so its not like this was an unique IP with an unique....anything really.

So what was the need to buy this IP even when they did nothing with it? you cant tell me that its because of the "demons invading Earth every once in a while" thing because that shit is so overdone that its almost free. The "demons/aliens are among us and brainwashing us" was done by They Live and Branded and not even from the Devil May Cry franchise. How about the characters? they act nothing like they were before, and this isnt like a reboot or reimagining of....say, Batman, where his core belief is intact but the actions done surrounding those is different depending on the writer. The characters here have almost no reasemble to the originals.

So, again, why not make a new IP and problem solved?

Akichi Daikashima:
IMHO, the new Dante is only a douche for about ~20 minutes of the game, in fact, he is more caring and well, human than the original.

I found his starting douche-ness to be also quite believeable.

Just imagine this: You are woken up, have the worst hangover, open the door and some random chick yells at you that you've been found... AND BAM, you are dragged into Limbo without even your undies on. And after all that she keeps on following me...

Sounds like a shitty morning to me, I was a douchebag because of less exciting mornings.

And later on Dante warms up and becomes quite likeable.

On Topic: While playing this game I get the feeling... the haters (and I mean haters, not the people who just dislike the game) seem to try their hardest to paint the new Dante and DmC in a bad light. They overexxagarated swearing, if he is a douche and other scenes which are major spoilers.

I am about to finish this game. And by now I think I grasped more of what is going on in the story then nearly everyone who tries their best to hate it.

DioWallachia:
I have one simple question: If the reboot uses nothing of the original IP except in name only, then why didnt they use an original IP instead of buying that one?

... They did not buy the IP. By any chances they were most probably told by the IP holder (Capcom) to make a DmC game. Because a reboot was needed in their eyes (4 did not sell well and was already pretty much 'lets do everything twice').

Akichi Daikashima:
IMHO, the new Dante is only a douche for about ~20 minutes of the game, in fact, he is more caring and well, human than the original.

I've always been confused when people say this. How can he be human if they took away his human side and made him part angel? What does he embrace in this game? It can't be his human side because it doesn't exist.

AgentLampshade:

Akichi Daikashima:

I've always been confused when people say this. How can he be human if they took away his human side and made him part angel? What does he embrace in this game? It can't be his human side because it doesn't exist.

What they and I mean is that he's more relatable and has human flaws; he cares about Kat(albeit in a cheesy, crowbarred-in romance manner but still) and he calls out Vergil on his bullshit.

Whereas the previous Dante was more of a badass, he was more detached and a bit boring as a character: he was 1-dimensional.

The "improvement" isn't disquieting, but its an improvement nonetheless.

Yes, Devil May Cry fans are truly the worst. How dare they voice criticism over a piece of entertainment. If you don't buy the reboot you're just entitled, whiny, basement dwelling, virgin nerds who are the sole reason for killing the gaming industry and also needlessly attacking the developers' artistic integrity. Get over the hair change already you fucking weaboos!

In all seriousness, DmC fiasco pretty much hit all the nails on what is wrong with the current gaming journalism and industry. While I must admit that openly attacking and insulting the old fans and possible paying customers is a rather novel business strategy on Capcom's part, what gets me the most is that many reviewers also decided to jump into the shitflinging wagon while singing praises for the game's "improved mechanics" and "upgraded storytelling". I don't know what would be more disturbing; that the reviewers are in the publishers' pockets or that they genuinely consider "FUCK YOU! FUCK YOU! FUCK YOUUUUUUU!", "I've got a bigger dick" and "Wet chunks" valid writing, not to even mention purposefully glancing over the dumbed down gameplay.

Reminds a bit how all the criticism of ME3 was silenced with the argument "You are just mad about the ending!"

Polite Sage:
-snip-

Hit the nail on the head. Absolutely spot on.

Polite Sage:
snip

Nice picking of your 'evidence'. For both fans as well as the scenes by which you judge the writing. There is really not much to say, if you want to miss character development and nudges at the motivations then you'll miss them. If you want to nitpick bad scenes of this game you surely forget the awfull scenes of the previous. And if you only search for bad dialogue you sure as hell ignore the good bits. And DmC has quite a lot of good bits. And the fanbase of DmC has quite a ton of bad bits - people who don't judge the game on gameplay (the right post in the screenshot) or somehow seem to play a differnt story than I finished now. I can guarantee that it is easier to find stupid outcry about Dantes new hairstyle and/or rambling without reason that posts of the same quality as you provided there.

I feel like I should hate this game.

They why do I like it so much?

Hell, the only thing that beats it is DmC3, the other 3 games were are pretty crappy in comparison.

TheKasp:
If you want to nitpick bad scenes of this game you surely forget the awfull scenes of the previous. And if you only search for bad dialogue you sure as hell ignore the good bits.

Can you quote me some good lines from the game? I feel as though you're right, and I'm only hearing one side of the argument, but every cutscene I've seen (which isn't many to be honest) is...is pretty bad.

Polite Sage:

Reminds a bit how all the criticism of ME3 was silenced with the argument "You are just mad about the ending!"

Or worse: "Only a minority was mad about the rest of the series and the writing. The mayority cared about the ending"
"There IS branching in the narrative of ME3, is just that it isnt enough for YOU, the entitled customer that in NO WAY needs to point out what the developers said before because developers lie all the time. Yes, even the planned trilogy thing was a gimmick to trick both loyal fans (who would have understood if BW said the truth) and everyone else into buying the thing because its too risky relying on the fans."

Daystar Clarion:
People need to start looking up the work 'official'.

It doesn't mean what they think it means.

Besides, the real official worse fanbase of all time Scorpion King 3 fans.

Come at me Marter :D

There was a Scorpion King 3!?

THE ACTUAL FUCK!?

AgentLampshade:

TheKasp:
If you want to nitpick bad scenes of this game you surely forget the awfull scenes of the previous. And if you only search for bad dialogue you sure as hell ignore the good bits.

Can you quote me some good lines from the game? I feel as though you're right, and I'm only hearing one side of the argument, but every cutscene I've seen (which isn't many to be honest) is...is pretty bad.

The following is going to be some spoilers for people so be warned. It is also not all funny but it includes scenes that I liked.

Well, there is the 'kidnapping' of Kat. I found that scene to be quite well done, it showed how Dantes stance towards his fellow resitance members has changed over the course of the game, especially towards that girl that woke him up followed by a nude, hangover trip to the Limbo (start of the game).

There are several funny scenes involving Kat and Dante (in the drink factory when she reveals some background info to him and his face. In that scene she reveals that she used her ability to travel into Limbo to escape nightmares - and Dantes confusion that this makes no sense from his perspective [this was shown in his facial expression] - "So you went into Limbo to escape your nightmares?" "Yep." "..." *stunned expression*). In another Dante has to run through a church which expands in length as a attemt to stop him. After leaving Limbo: "Eh, church, you know. Drags on and on." When you storm the lair of Mundus there are is some interesting dialogue between those two (or should I say: he remembers what she said to him during the planing phase as he answers it now regarding his experience - Kat:"Now you'll have to go through the five stories of hell." Dante gets into an elevator, elevator music starts... roughly 15 seconds go by "She was right, this is hell."). I just really have problems finding videos that depict that. And I am a little to tired and worn out to go through the video that includes all the cutscenes.

Some things that I found rather good is the buildup to Vergils character and his plans. He is throughout consitent with his new characterisation (the focus lies on new) and even the dreaded forced abortion scene fits the character (no, really, it fits the Vergil of DmC. He was ready to sacrifice Kat, a person that looks up to him and would give her life for the cause, he didn't even want to roll with Dantes plan of trading the life of Kat for the life of the baby - this is even shown in the cutscene regarding that).

There is good dialogue to find in this game and you won't find groundbreaking stuff. It is a heroes journey where the narrative is a little too focused on cutscenes in my opinion. The social commentary is rather shallowbut leads to really creative and good looking levels. The strong side is, irregarding how many people won't like it and dismiss it, Dante who breaks from his shallow, small, self centered world and realises that he has stakes that may even go beyond petty revenge and his brother and the path he chose. Yes, nothing the game has done is new, edgy or excellent (except maybe the voice acting). But calling the game bad has no ground in reality (well, unless you have the 30fps locked console version, then I really accept why you'll pass the game. It is just a case where the game is vastly superior on PC).

Also, finally. The voice acting is way above average, I am even hesitant to just call it good.

I wouldn't call them 'the worst fans ever' I'm sure people who are fans of things like genocide etc are probably a bit worse. This is just ME3 all over again, people getting upset on the internet because they don't like something.

TheKasp:

DioWallachia:

... They did not buy the IP. By any chances they were most probably told by the IP holder (Capcom) to make a DmC game. Because a reboot was needed in their eyes (4 did not sell well and was already pretty much 'lets do everything twice').

Still doesnt explain why they needed to change everything. A franchise doesnt equal only gameplay (otherwise every hack & slash ever would be know as Devil May Cry), the characters and the story count too.

Why Capcom thought it was the characters and not the lazy design of the last game that prompted the low sales?

AgentLampshade:

Its too dangerous to go alone, take this:

Last week Dark Souls fans were the worst ever. I'm glad the focus has shifted off of me! : )

Trust me when I say that EVERY fanbase has some bad seeds that make everyone else look bad. For example:

SONIC: "Pairings warers" - Fans who fight with each other over who should be a pairing with who. Commonly referred to as "shippers".

POKEMON: "Nostalgists" - Fans who are fans of the original GBC games, and think everything after them suck. Even going so far as to call any game that's not the original GBC games "not a real Pokémon game".

Personally, all the hue and cry over DMC doesn't surprise me. There are going to be those who will NOT like change, no matter what those changes are. We just have to laugh and lump it.

And now...a silly break...

Original Dante is DMC DLC? OMG, WTF?

DioWallachia:

Still doesnt explain why they needed to change everything. A franchise doesnt equal only gameplay (otherwise every hack & slash ever would be know as Devil May Cry), the characters and the story count too.

Why Capcom thought it was the characters and not the lazy design of the last game that prompted the low sales?

... So there should never be any deviations from the reboot? At all?

And this review starts with stupid rambling about the new Dante up to a point where I even doubt that he works with more than a few cutscenes... Yeah, Dante is such an asshole that in the end he gives proper credit where credit is due and puts mankind under his protection from any supernatural asshole who may try to get to power and enslave humanity *sigh*

Sorry, can't keep watching it after the 2min mark.

People ARE STUUUUUUUUPPPPPIIIIIIIIDDDD!!! GARGLEBARGLE NERD RAGE! SMASH ENTITLED FANBOY PRATS!

Hello, meet the sports world's equivalent of fanaticism:

None of the fans in the video game industry can be considered "the worst fans" by comparison. I am unconcerned about angry gamers who just whine at length, because they are simply immature and do not deserve the important attention they so desperately crave with actions like their Whitehouse petition. In short, fuck 'em.

TheKasp:

... So there should never be any deviations from the reboot? At all?

If that makes the series unrecognisable to what the story or the characters were about, then those deviations have no place. You may as well call it by another name.

I said already that reboots or reimagining or alternate interpretations is something that even Batman has suffered but never goes away from what Batman REPRESENTS (The "Never kill and no guns" thing as an example)

Let me use this extract from "Mother, May i see Metroid Other M" Liveblog by Korval on Tv Tropes, when he/she compared Samus to Batman (to ilustrate what i mean in a tangential sort off way):

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/lb_i.php?lb_id=13373815860B43920100&i_id=13378783280I83340200&p=8

So tell me, what is the essence or characteristic that defines Dante as a character, and makes us recognice him even in his new form? (this question goes to the fans as well)

I'll weigh in my two cents on this, for what it's worth.

First of all, let's consider why sequels are released or why the concept of an IP (intellectual property) exists. Through establishing a name for a product, the consumer associates this name with a familiar sense of quality or a certain attribute that they like about it. If someone buys "minty fresh aquafresh toothpaste", they expect the same taste and cleaning quality each time they buy it. The formula may get tweaked, but it's always to improve the product. Similarly, with films and other media, we expect a certain experience from each product. If we watch a Die Hard film, we expect over-the-top action, if we read a Harry Potter book, we expect a fantasy world of wizardry. Regardless of the developers behind it, by calling a game "DmC: Devil May Cry", you're appealing to the fanbase of the original 4 games. In fact, the game was even advertised at one point to have "Dante, from the Devil May Cry series" if I'm not mistaken. Ninja Theory, right off the bat, regardless of how they approached it, were appealing to the existing audience of the Devil May Cry series.

Public relations have been a nightmare for Ninja Theory, the people tasked behind this reboot. Their attitude towards the existing fanbase has been shoddy at best, with the white hair/mop scene already pointed out beforehand. Though it wasn't Ninja Theory's fault, the reviewers using the "different hair" as a rebuttal to any valid criticism was unjust and comes across as childish. The game was publicly demo'd at places such as E3, where people recorded fights against The Secret Ingredient/Succubus garnering an SSS style meter from repeating one combo. While it was fixed when the demo was made to download, it's still frighteningly easy to get a high style rank from similar tactics. This marks one of the first valid criticisms that people could place against the game; that the style system was flawed (or if you believe that's a fair way for a style system to work, then it is considerably easier). Comparing this to the difficulty of stringing together an S+ style rank in DMC4 (several statues required you to do this for a health upgrade), you can see a distinct lack of difficulty in attaining style.

We also found out from this demo that mission rankings were dictated less by overall combat performance in the mission and more by general "completion" of the level. Deaths became irrelevant (there are unedited pictures out there of people with 40+ deaths in a mission in DmC getting an S rank overall) and the game became less about the stylistic and efficient approach to clearing enemies and more about finding collectables. The mission rankings were a hallmark to the difficulty of previous DMC games. You could not clear the hardest difficulties with an S ranking without a deep understanding of the combat system, something that is mimicked in games such as Bayonetta. This added to the replayability of the games by giving the player something to strive for. The difficulty, from what I hear, has also been toned down across the board in DmC, with some likening DMD mode in DmC to Normal/Hard in previous entries.

This makes DmC, from a combat standpoint, much shallower than previous entries. It creates less of a challenge for the player and gives him or her less incentive to play the game for plenty of hours.

This is before commenting on the change in the game universe, which I understand is part and parcel of any reboot anyway. The story is something which could actually be interesting and I'd love to see it executed better. In fact, there are plenty of ways that this game's universe could actually "work". I've heard a theory stating that the new Dante is actually insane, seeing demons where they don't exist. Mundus is just a rich and powerful man, Virility is just a soft drinks company, the demons are just people who represent something Dante doesn't like about the world. There's even a dialogue between Kat and Dante in which this could even be suggested (they talk about being "crazy" for seeing demons in mission... 5-6, the mission starting in the Virility factory). However, from what I hear, there isn't enough substance in the game to make this seem intentional/real.

The game universe would also work if Dante was always supposed to be the villain we unknowingly play. (END-GAME SPOILERS in this paragraph for those who don't want to read them). At the end of the game, we see Vergil and Dante defeat Mundus and expose the world to the existence of demons. They leave carnage in their wake and leave mankind to suffer. If the game ended here, the plot would be plausible. Give enough hints that Dante just wants to watch the world burn and you have something akin to Spec Ops: The Line, but this wasn't the case.

So with most of the alternatives shot down, we're left with what the game offers us. We have an unlikable main character who has nothing of the style or substance that old Dante had. He's not witty nor likeable, his one liners are rarely "nailed". Old Dante may have been a 1-dimensional character, a man never to be taken seriously for he himself takes little seriously, but this is what gave his character appeal and charm. His fighting was over-the-top in the same sense that most action flicks (Die Hard, Machete, Rambo to name a few) are over-the-top and it's what made him so fun to watch in cutscenes. They were never serious games with serious stories, they always had an air of self-parody. If you need a reminder of this, you only need to watch the cutscene before Dante's encounter with Agnes in DMC4.

DmC takes itself too seriously. It's too concerned about making a social commentary that it lacks the sense of self-parody the other games had. This would be alright if the characters nailed their performances, but they don't. The mop/white hair joke was meant to be funny, it wasn't. The flurry of cussing and offensive slurs that new Dante spews out are meant to make him look cool and mature, but he just comes across as juvenile and childish. The entire narrative comes across as serious, but we never really find out what is so bad about Mundus and the raptor news network except that they rule over the populous. There's little detrimental effect to this control and as can be seen by the ending (SPOILERS) the world is not a better place afterwards because of this. (END SPOILERS)

The game was hyped up to have fantastic writing and to revolutionise the series, but it fell flat on its face in every regard. Dante is not a more likeable character, Mundus isn't the "big evil" he's cracked up to be, the combat is weaker, the game has less depth... it may be an average or even good games by its own standards, but it's a bad entry to the Devil May Cry series. It would have been better if Ninja Theory created this game as its own IP/series, since then it could have been judged on its own merits as a game. The backlash from the fans is because of this and I feel it's wholeheartedly justified. This isn't just "we don't like his hair". This game marks the almost definite end of any sequel to the original 4 games. If the fanbase is mad because of that, can you blame them?

DioWallachia:

So tell me, what is the essence or characteristic that defines Dante as a character, and makes us recognice him even in his new form? (this question goes to the fans as well)

For that I need a good description of the previous Dante to begin with. All the essence that I got from him is that he is a cool, non-caring badass.
And this is really well represented in DmC. But not only that, it actually creates stakes for him and lets him go through character development where he keeps his cool, non-caring attitude but changes in motivations.

But for the sake of argument I go by the Devil May Cry wiki.

"Earlier in the series' story, Dante is incredibly flippant, casually mouthing off to even the most powerful of demons, and he generally enjoys rubbing people the wrong way."

It happens the same way here. The taunts are there and beyond that one hater-loved scene there is not that much profanity involved but more or less fitting, known one-liner.

"Dante is sometimes presented as a show off as, on several occasions, he performs exaggerated and over-the-top moves."

He does not show off that much, that I agree with.

"Dante is seemingly unflappable, not showing fear whether he's being attacked by the Seven Hells in his office or being swallowed by a giant serpentess demon."

The last thing he shows in this game is fear. Especially if it comes to scenarios where he personally is uncertain if it'll work (as in, jumping into a deathpit without hesitation after Kat says that her plan will work), playing the distraction which involves catching the attention of Mundus or going off against his most valueable underlings.

"With the exception of Devil May Cry 2, Dante rarely shows any seriousness. He can be serious when the situation calls for it, but he still maintains a fairly laid-back demeanor during such situations and is never without a witty taunt or comeback."

Well buck, I provided a link where he is shown to be really serious in this one. He was in a situation where all his power could not save a friend so I think it is understandable. But overall? He is mostly laid back, as long as he is the target he is in a non-caring attitude.

"Dante can seem at times to be uncaring or even callous, but actually has a very strong sense of justice and prefers to fight fairly. He can be counted on to do the right thing, even if he makes cynical quips about it the entire time."

Applied to the new Dante. Both of them. He fights fair due to his boldheaded nature (his plan is R for rush the place) and when

Should I go on? Because it is boring. Every one of those characteristics fits with the new Dante. He is pretty much like the old one but younger - a lot younger.

TheKasp:

DioWallachia:

For that I need a good description of the previous Dante to begin with. All the essence that I got from him is that he is a cool, non-caring badass.
And this is really well represented in DmC. But not only that, it actually creates stakes for him and lets him go through character development where he keeps his cool, non-caring attitude but changes in motivations.

But for the sake of argument I go by the Devil May Cry wiki.

"Earlier in the series' story, Dante is incredibly flippant, casually mouthing off to even the most powerful of demons, and he generally enjoys rubbing people the wrong way."

It happens the same way here. The taunts are there and beyond that one hater-loved scene there is not that much profanity involved but more or less fitting, known one-liner.

"Dante is sometimes presented as a show off as, on several occasions, he performs exaggerated and over-the-top moves."

He does not show off that much, that I agree with.

"Dante is seemingly unflappable, not showing fear whether he's being attacked by the Seven Hells in his office or being swallowed by a giant serpentess demon."

The last thing he shows in this game is fear. Especially if it comes to scenarios where he personally is uncertain if it'll work (as in, jumping into a deathpit without hesitation after Kat says that her plan will work), playing the distraction which involves catching the attention of Mundus or going off against his most valueable underlings.

"With the exception of Devil May Cry 2, Dante rarely shows any seriousness. He can be serious when the situation calls for it, but he still maintains a fairly laid-back demeanor during such situations and is never without a witty taunt or comeback."

Well buck, I provided a link where he is shown to be really serious in this one. He was in a situation where all his power could not save a friend so I think it is understandable. But overall? He is mostly laid back, as long as he is the target he is in a non-caring attitude.

"Dante can seem at times to be uncaring or even callous, but actually has a very strong sense of justice and prefers to fight fairly. He can be counted on to do the right thing, even if he makes cynical quips about it the entire time."

Applied to the new Dante. Both of them. He fights fair due to his boldheaded nature (his plan is R for rush the place) and when

Should I go on? Because it is boring. Every one of those characteristics fits with the new Dante. He is pretty much like the old one but younger - a lot younger.

And yet this is still an imitation of the original character. This character is mean,everything he says comes out with a kind of snarl. Just like Nero...Which he isn't supposed to be. They just merged a personality into this character that already had issues because it was not distinct enough from that of Dante in the first place. At his core he is a mean character which makes him fundamentally different from the original character. This is what makes him unrecognizable. Everything else is a more superficial set of traits that Dante shares with most action heroes ever created.

Daystar Clarion:
I feel like I should hate this game.

They why do I like it so much?

Hell, the only thing that beats it is DmC3, the other 3 games were are pretty crappy in comparison.

Say what? Devil May Cry 4 may have had issues, but the combat was still phenomenal. It was the only game where you not only had styles, but you could switch between them on the fly, while still being able to switch up weapons as well. That made for some ludicrously deep combo possibilities.

DmC... doesn't even have styles. That's not exactly progress.

shadow skill:
And yet this is still an imitation of the original character. This character is mean,everything he says comes out with a kind of snarl. Just like Nero...Which he isn't supposed to be. They just merged a personality into this character that already had issues because it was not distinct enough from that of Dante in the first place. At his core he is a mean character which makes him fundamentally different from the original character. This is what makes him unrecognizable. Everything else is a more superficial set of traits that Dante shares with most action heroes ever created.

Video related.

This mean spirit of Donte is really what ruins this character. While the original Dante was constantly mocking the bosses you faced, it was always to attack their feelings of superiority, to "take them down a peg". Dante didn't elevate himself above others and outright mocks and insults the demons who do, which makes him such a charming character.

Donte on the other hand simply insults them. The tone here is the important thing. Dante didn't take himself and his enemies seriously, so his lines are delivered with a hefty dose of sarcasm and satirical hyperbole/melodrama.

Donte slurs and snarls constantly, making him sound like drunk trailer trash. This would be fine if the game was written around it, but the presentation leads me to believe that I am supposed to like and sympathize with him and I simply can't.

EDIT: bah, fixed the video.

Hargrimm:

shadow skill:

Video related.

This mean spirit of Donte is really what ruins this character. While the original Dante was constantly mocking the bosses you faced, it was always to attack their feelings of superiority, to "take them down a peg". Dante didn't elevate himself above others and outright mocks and insults the demons who do, which makes him such a charming character.

Donte on the other hand simply insults them. The tone here is the important thing. Dante didn't take himself and his enemies seriously, so his lines are delivered with a hefty dose of sarcasm and satirical hyperbole/melodrama.

Donte slurs and snarls constantly, making him sound like drunk trailer trash. This would be fine if the game was written around it, but the presentation leads me to believe that I am supposed to like and sympathize with him and I simply can't.

EDIT: bah, fixed the video.

I think the scene with Mundus where Dante is all "Yea we killed your kid." was great for the kind of mean spirited character that he is. The only reason that part fails is because it ends up making Mundus sympathetic. But then again am I expecting far too much when the character does not even match the combat aesthetic?

I'm thinking the petition itself is little more than a joke. The existence of a reboot doesn't necessarily force fans to choose between the original and the new one. And to be blunt, I'm not all that surprised by this. The White House petitions have become something of a joke in a matter of days thanks to the internet being the internet.

Sonic Fans, CoD fans, ME fans, Dragon Age fans, WoW fans, Nintendo Fans, Sony Fans, Xbox Fans, LoL fans, Smash Brothers Fans, Fighting Game fans. "What are fanbases worse than DMC, Alex"

I love how the second any fan-base complains about anything, they're immediately labeled the worst ever.

Ya know who's FAR more obnoxious than the classic DMC fan-base? The new DMC fan-base. At least the old fan-base is keeping their ire focused on the new game rather than doing stuff like making threads about how old DMC fans are the worst ever.

Tohuvabohu:
One guy makes a hilarious troll petition, thus the entire DMC fanbase is now the worst ever?

Have you seen the user score on Metacritic? The amount of butthurt in this fanbase is astounding.

OT: If it's selling well then I say fuck the old fans, go your own way. Hell, even if it's not selling well, they shouldn't have to bend a knee to these assholes who feel the need to rage about any and every character change. IMO the new DMC has a way better story than any of the past games. Well done Ninja Theory.

DioWallachia:

Ironically, DMC4 was the highest selling entry in the series and is probably going to remain so. DMC;DMC is doing "ok" for a January release with no competition, but it still failed to come even close to touching DMC4s first week sales. It's got stiff competition coming in the next few months with MGR:R and God of War.

RedDeadFred:

Tohuvabohu:
One guy makes a hilarious troll petition, thus the entire DMC fanbase is now the worst ever?

Have you seen the user score on Metacritic? The amount of butthurt in this fanbase is astounding.

151 people last I counted. Nearly the same amount of people who gave it 8+/10. Compare that to ME3 which had over 1000 people giving it bad scores. DMC4 sold over 2 million copies. Less than 0.000076% of the fan-base felt the need to review bomb.

The only thing astounding is how many people think less than .0001% of a population is representative of anything. Other than Fox news that is. But yeah, DMC has the worst fan-base ever, when even going by Meta-critic rage, which is such a reliable tool, says otherwise.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked