iOS game lets you beat your boyfriend

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

kinda sorta off topic here but

Another editor slapped a guy when "he told me he thought he had breast cancer." (Okay, that one made us laugh really hard.)

taken from jezebel http://jezebel.com/294383/have-you-ever-beat-up-a-boyfriend-cause-uh-we-have

what exactly am i missing in that statement that is meant to be funny? do they not realize men can get breast cancer too? or was the idea of a man dieing of breast cancer somehow amusing to them? i guess best case scenario the guy could have been joking about having breast cancer but i still don't see how that deserves a chuckle

anyway back on topic. i just want to see the "train your girlfriend" app released to even things out. as long as wife beater simulator v 2.0 gets the same level of response we can all agree all is right in the world but i'm sure we all know if they ever do release it it will be front page news and feminists will be burning whole cities to the ground

Tasteless. That's all that can be said about it, really.

I fail to see the funny side of it due to my close friend being the victim of domestic abuse but if someone finds it funny than I guess there's a market and it's clearly not me. I just hope the people playing the game aren't using it as a 'getting even' sim.

Happiness Assassin:
This reminds me of a show a few years ago. I think it was called "What Would you do?" or something like that. They had a scenario where a man was hitting his spouse in public to see how people reacted. The public almost immediately took notice and put a stop to it. Then they reversed the roles where the woman was beating the man and not only was it tolerated, one woman was actually enjoying it. It took quite a while for a random woman to stop the beating.

I remember that, didn't most of the crowd comment along the lines of 'he's obviously done something to deserve that', or 'good on her showing him what for!' when of course there's no excuse for violence like that, and obviously no one would have dared say such callous things in the first situation. It's very interesting just how far people are willing to run with this reverse discrimination.

Sorry, what I meant to say is all men are brutes and can't be the victims of physical abuse. Yes.

....seriously?

Who's actually going to pay for such a thing? One, there are so many free "beat this guy up mercilessly" apps out there, and two, slapping the person's picture on a dartboard and going FOR THE EYES, BOO!!! is a lot more therapeutic.

I understand how this is stupid, and considered quite sexist.

But it does occur to me that it may not have any menaing unless we put something on it. I'm sure it was affected by "lol woman hurting man" way of thinking, but it's just a piece of entertainment. Some men will enjoy it for that very reason. We may be paying too much attention to the genders, or projecting our own feelings.
As long as we realise that this is a game and shouldn't be used as an incentive for reality it's fine. It's not like we get all up in arms when a game comes out about killing people, so why should domestic abuse be seen as that great a deal if we can calmly remember it's a game.
I can beat up my spouse in Skyrim or Fable, and often will as I'm going around on an evil rampage. Is this game worse because the objective is that?
I mean that objective alone is quite boring, but y'know...murder

Palademon:

But it does occur to me that it may not have any menaing unless we put something on it. I'm sure it was affected by "lol woman hurting man" way of thinking, but it's just a piece of entertainment. Some men will enjoy it for that very reason. We may be paying too much attention to the genders, or projecting our own feelings.
As long as we realise that this is a game and shouldn't be used as an incentive for reality it's fine. It's not like we get all up in arms when a game comes out about killing people, so why should domestic abuse be seen as that great a deal if we can calmly remember it's a game.
I can beat up my spouse in Skyrim or Fable, and often will as I'm going around on an evil rampage. Is this game worse because the objective is that?

I think what makes the game worse is that, unlike all those games with murder, it sets up a very disturbing causal relationship.

Games which feature tons of killing usually come with some sort of save the world plot. Killing tons of people part of some evil organisation intent on destroying the world as we know it will save the world, there'll most certainly be better ways of achieving that but it's a valid means. Murdering the bad guys will stop the bad guys.

Even in games where you can just randomly murder innocents there's no causal connection being implied that this is somehow an admirable thing. I can take a hooker in my car in GTA, do the nasty and then proceed to murder her but at no point will there be a radio broadcast lauding me as citizen of the year for my upstanding treatment of prostitutes.

This game is setting up a causal relationship that beating up your boyfriend will turn him into mr. perfect. That's the messed up part and how it differs from Skyrim or Fable. Beating up your spouse in those games has absolutely no implication by the game that this'll somehow give you a better spouse.

It certainly shouldn't be forbidden or anything, but the implication this game is putting forward that beating up your boyfriend will improve him deserves all the criticism it's getting.

Palademon:

Optional murder. There is nothing in Skyrim (AFAIK) that compels you to murder a spouse, and any decision to do so is on your shoulders (and I would hope to know in advance, so I can keep my distance from you). It's not 'Skyrim: 50 ways to kill your lover'.

I haven't played this game, but from the looks of it, it is being sold as 'use casual violence to shore up that partner!'

Which, if true, is in very poor taste. Now, I'm going to get back to making my App, it's called 'How To Raise Your Kids: Sassback Gets Smacks'

As a gay man i am almost glad that if me and my partner get in a fist fight we are both going to be weight equally in a court of law as apposed to a straight couple where the lady has the advantage. but then again she didn't have the advantage in the fistfight. I don't know how to feel about this; it all honestly seems like a mean spirited joke. Hear it from someone who enjoyed super princess peach I know that sexist jokes can be funny and even fun in a video-game.

where the lady has the advantage. but then again she didn't have the advantage in the fistfight.

I know a bunch of women who can break their partners in half, this classic assumption can be very incorrect.

anyway back on topic. i just want to see the "train your girlfriend" app released to even things out. as long as wife beater simulator v 2.0 gets the same level of response we can all agree all is right in the world but i'm sure we all know if they ever do release it it will be front page news and feminists will be burning whole cities to the ground

Yeah I think that's an important step towards equality. There's really no reason for us to go all activist about it as stupid as it is these developers have the right to make their retarded game and it shouldn't be censored, wish more people would realize it.

Just another "prrrt" disappearing into the great desert of gaming, but it's somewhat cathartic to see that sexism and tasteless seem to apply to both genders equally nowadays.

It's not like anything bad follows fro- Oh wait!

There's not much else to say. I add another vote for tasteless.

GunsmithKitten:

Zhukov:
I just find this funny.

I know, I know, if it was a woman on the receiving end this game would be hurled into the fiery pits of hell, good for the goose, good for the gander, equality, blah-de-blah... I get it.

So you've not noticed that aside from a couple of people, that it's been universally by both men and women called a sexist POS and said it never should have seen the light of day?

Uh... what?

No, I'd say that was pretty obvious, even from just reading this thread.

My point is that even though I get why people don't like this game I personally just find it amusing.

I've got this one covered guys. This deserves the same incisive gender commentary this forum is famous for.

1. This is just typical whiny MRA nonsense! If it was a woman being abused no one would care! (insert conspiracies, random statistics, a link to a gender swapped version of "amazing atheist" and "a voice for men")

2. It's not offensive. You're choosing to be offended. Its right to be offensive is more important than your right not to be offended. (insert Ricky Gervais, Stephen Fry quotes, false sense of moral superiority)

3. I think this is hilarious because trolling (insert "u mad" picture, trollface)

4. Again? Guys, this is obviously NOT misandry. (insert confusing, circular reasoning)

5. Something something Freedom of Speech.

6. It was done for shock value and they fooled you! You are the victim of brilliant advertising.

7. Arguments about the definition of sexism.

8. Arguments about the definition of misandry.

9. Random name calling.

10. Thread derailed with pictures of goats.

BloatedGuppy:
The text was great, but the goat picture was the icing on the cake.

Okay, I loved your response, and I think it's fairly on-the-nose. Pretty much every response does seem to fit in there somehow, I'm as guilty as any other. So much circular conversation that basically still adds up to zero.

Wow that's a bit fucked up. I mean how long would it stay available if it was 'The girlfriend trainer' instead? Not very long at all I bet. Double standards for all! xD

Seriously though +1 to the tasteless vote for me.

BloatedGuppy:
I've got this one covered guys. This deserves the same incisive gender commentary this forum is famous for.

1. This is just typical whiny MRA nonsense! If it was a woman being abused no one would care! (insert conspiracies, random statistics, a link to a gender swapped version of "amazing atheist" and "a voice for men")

The Amazing Atheist is hardly champion of the MRA movement or an anti-feminist speaker. Hell, his wife is one of those super feminists. Whad'they call'em? Militant Feminists? Hardcore Feminists? I honestly forget, and I still don't get how it works, but yeah. He's done like 4 anti-feminist videos (The Failure of Feminism, Tumblr Feminists, etc.) Most of them are older and just calling out extremist groups, like when he makes a Glenn Beck video or what have you. He's also made one called "It's Only Sexist When Men Do It" where he's pissed of at The Talk for getting away with laughing at a guy who got his dick cut off. Mostly pretty reasonable stuff.

Double standards and glorification of domestic abuse (as has been said), not something that's acceptable.

I do wonder, however, how many people are using this to come to the conclusion that society is anti-male, hm.

Cheesepower5:
Mostly pretty reasonable stuff.

With a few exceptions here and there.

The premise alone skeeves me right out, TBQH. As others have pointed out, it reads as portraying domestic violence as somehow "cute." And that's gross and fucked-up.

But that said?

Cheesepower5:
The Amazing Atheist is hardly champion of the MRA movement or an anti-feminist speaker. Hell, his wife is one of those super feminists. Whad'they call'em? Militant Feminists? Hardcore Feminists? I honestly forget, and I still don't get how it works, but yeah.

That's odd; I could have sworn he was openly gay.

He's done like 4 anti-feminist videos (The Failure of Feminism, Tumblr Feminists, etc.) Most of them are older and just calling out extremist groups, like when he makes a Glenn Beck video or what have you. He's also made one called "It's Only Sexist When Men Do It" where he's pissed of at The Talk for getting away with laughing at a guy who got his dick cut off. Mostly pretty reasonable stuff.

Not going to delve much deeper into this, but his having done more than one such video kind of contradicts your previous claim. Unless, of course, he's focusing on actual failures within mainstream feminism (the excessive focus on middle-class white businesswomen, for example). But going after the convenient scapegoat that is Tumblr, or trotting out an extreme example, kind of suggests otherwise.

Abusive relationships, regardless of who's doing the abuse, should never be trivialized. I'm a stout believer in the "nothing is sacred" rule when it comes to jokes, but this... seems like a joke without a punchline. "Haha, abuse" is pretty much all I'm getting from this.

It's getting to be worrisome the degree to which gamers want to censor the medium.

If boyfriend abuse is acceptable in film, tv, and books, then why not in video games?

What happens when a serious game developer wants to include boyfriend abuse in a social game in order to explore issues related to that, but can't because gamers have already decided that abuse is not allowable in a game?

The hypocrisy of complaining about abuse in a game while gamers have no problem killing hundreds or thousands of digital representations of living things (often people) in a game is rather stunning.

"It's ok if you shoot and kill me, sweetie, just don't pull on my tie too hard!"

Obviously digital murder isn't real murder, but digital abuse isn't real abuse, either.

Why do gamers pick and choose what's "real" in a game, while no other artistic medium is treated as such?

Happiness Assassin:
This reminds me of a show a few years ago. I think it was called "What Would you do?" or something like that. They had a scenario where a man was hitting his spouse in public to see how people reacted. The public almost immediately took notice and put a stop to it. Then they reversed the roles where the woman was beating the man and not only was it tolerated, one woman was actually enjoying it. It took quite a while for a random woman to stop the beating.

Pretty sure I saw that a little while back, if I'm thinking of the right one, the acting couple sat on a park bench with hidden cameras filming them, was an eye opener for me, particularly when one woman fist pumped when she walked by and when they talked to her afterwards her response was along the lines of "I was thinking go girl, he deserves it!"

Honestly I'm going to try and not get my undies in a bunch over this, sexism aside, and even if they were too androgynous aliens with no defining genders its just a tasteless iOS game that shouldn't be made in the first place.

... although I'd probably play a game about gender-less alien marital relationships

I agree that it's pretty disgusting, but on the other hand the guy looks like the biggest douche in the world.

briankoontz:
The hypocrisy of complaining about abuse in a game while gamers have no problem killing hundreds or thousands of digital representations of living things (often people) in a game is rather stunning.

We're curiously blase about simulated murder in our recreational pursuits. Murder as a punchline is completely normalized to the point where we don't even blink. I don't necessarily think it leads to real life murder or anything, it's just a curious psychological phenomenon, why we shrug away gunning down a room full of assailants but a little slapping makes us queasy. Someone could probably write a really interesting dissertation on it.

Someone who isn't me, of course. That sounds like a lot of work.

Hagi:

Cheesepower5:

Way to cut out any context, dude. If I'm not getting my conversations mixed up, she had already made threatening comments and lewd photoshops of him. I'm not saying that totally justifies what he said, but it's obvious who you're trying to paint as a villain.

Farseer Lolotea:
The premise alone skeeves me right out, TBQH. As others have pointed out, it reads as portraying domestic violence as somehow "cute." And that's gross and fucked-up.

But that said?

Cheesepower5:
The Amazing Atheist is hardly champion of the MRA movement or an anti-feminist speaker. Hell, his wife is one of those super feminists. Whad'they call'em? Militant Feminists? Hardcore Feminists? I honestly forget, and I still don't get how it works, but yeah.

That's odd; I could have sworn he was openly gay.

Bi, but leaning towards straight, apparently.

Farseer Lolotea:

He's done like 4 anti-feminist videos (The Failure of Feminism, Tumblr Feminists, etc.) Most of them are older and just calling out extremist groups, like when he makes a Glenn Beck video or what have you. He's also made one called "It's Only Sexist When Men Do It" where he's pissed of at The Talk for getting away with laughing at a guy who got his dick cut off. Mostly pretty reasonable stuff.

Not going to delve much deeper into this, but his having done more than one such video kind of contradicts your previous claim. Unless, of course, he's focusing on actual failures within mainstream feminism (the excessive focus on middle-class white businesswomen, for example). But going after the convenient scapegoat that is Tumblr, or trotting out an extreme example, kind of suggests otherwise.

He doesn't focus on feminists at all, he makes videos about a lot of topics. He does bring up the fact that many feminiusts going out of their way to paint white men as evil are fairly well of white women themselves, I believe, but I guess an easy target gets more hits.

Cheesepower5:

Hagi:

Cheesepower5:

Way to cut out any context, dude. If I'm not getting my conversations mixed up, she had already made threatening comments and lewd photoshops of him. I'm not saying that totally justifies what he said, but it's obvious who you're trying to paint as a villain.

Dude... no amount of context will ever make that statement anywhere near "pretty reasonable".

But hey, if you think rape is ever reasonable then I guess we're pretty much done here. Not really much to say to that...

Cheesepower5:

As Hagi has pointed out? There's no context that would justify that shit. At all.

Bi, but leaning towards straight, apparently.

Hmm. Could have sworn he claimed to be a complete Kinsey 6 in one video.

He doesn't focus on feminists at all, he makes videos about a lot of topics.

Beside the point. He's still made at least five such videos.

He does bring up the fact that many feminiusts going out of their way to paint white men as evil are fairly well of white women themselves, I believe, but I guess an easy target gets more hits.

If he's accused anyone of a gross oversimplification and strawman like "going out of their way to paint white men as evil," he's entirely missed the point to begin with. (Appropriately enough, the captcha was "weasel words.")

*shrugs* I'm assuming this is made for a very specific niche audience, more power to them i guess.

Really get the feeling ive walked into someone elses fantasy, so don't see this as being reflective of sexist trends or whatever. If the behaviors portrayed in the game were glorified or portrayed as being desirable irl, maybe i'd be able to summon some outrage, but as it stands the only really curious thing about this game is its a paid app rather then a free game you find on those hentai fetish game sites.

briankoontz:
It's getting to be worrisome the degree to which gamers want to censor the medium.

If boyfriend abuse is acceptable in film, tv, and books, then why not in video games?

What happens when a serious game developer wants to include boyfriend abuse in a social game in order to explore issues related to that, but can't because gamers have already decided that abuse is not allowable in a game?

"It's ok if you shoot and kill me, sweetie, just don't pull on my tie too hard!"

Obviously digital murder isn't real murder, but digital abuse isn't real abuse, either.

Why do gamers pick and choose what's "real" in a game, while no other artistic medium is treated as such?

Nobody is saying abuse isn't allowable in games. As has been pointed out there already are games where it's entirely possible to beat up your spouse.

What's considered messed up is the direct implication of this game that beating up your boyfriend is a good and admirable thing that makes him a better person.

And other artistic media are treated exactly the same on that score. If a movie was made about a woman abusing her boyfriend, entirely painted in a positive light, then you can bet that there would be no shortage of criticism.

Stop it with the victim complex that whenever criticism is offered on the content of games it's somehow infringing on their rights and that other media never ever receive criticism, it's annoying at best and utterly delusional at worst.

"Boyfriend Trainer"? Oviously this game is completely fictitious and in no way depicts real life in any way fathomable. Why is this generating so much heat?

Frankster:
*shrugs* I'm assuming this is made for a very specific niche audience, more power to them i guess.

Really get the feeling ive walked into someone elses fantasy, so don't see this as being reflective of sexist trends or whatever. If the behaviors portrayed in the game were glorified or portrayed as being desirable irl, maybe i'd be able to summon some outrage, but as it stands the only really curious thing about this game is its a paid app rather then a free game you find on those hentai fetish game sites.

It's not about sexism; it's that it glorifies domestic violence, and that's fucking disgusting.

I mean, maybe it was made by someone who gets a kick out of being slapped around, and who couldn't give less of a damn for the usual BDSM watchphrase. That doesn't mean it isn't still creepy.

Hagi:

Cheesepower5:

Hagi:

Dude... no amount of context will ever make that statement anywhere near "pretty reasonable".

But hey, if you think rape is ever reasonable then I guess we're pretty much done here. Not really much to say to that...

Do I need to repeat myself? Where did I say rape is reasonable? I said his videos in relation to feminism are mostly pretty reasonable, getting too sure he was right that girl was faking and saying some horrible shit doesn't instantly invalidate my agreement with anything else he says, if you reflexively disagree like that grow the hell up.

Cheesepower5:

Hagi:

Cheesepower5:

Do I need to repeat myself? Where did I say rape is reasonable? I said his videos in relation to feminism are mostly pretty reasonable, getting too sure he was right that girl was faking and saying some horrible shit doesn't instantly invalidate my agreement with anything else he says, if you reflexively disagree like that grow the hell up.

And I said not everything he says is reasonable, giving an example... To which you reply that it's completely ripped out of context and apparently partly justifiable?

Again, no amount of context will make what he said acceptable in any way, shape or form. Not everything the guy says is pretty reasonable. Simple as that.

I'm a huge fan of dark/sick jokes but this is disgusting (and not because it's domestic abuse).

Why? Well dark humor comes with the implicit understanding that the material being joked about is something horrible and disgusting and evil. If you think that the person telling the joke actually thinks the subject matter isn't a big deal, then it's not funny anymore.

And so it is with this.

So in order for this to not be disgusting, modify it so that it's clear that the abusive girlfriend is supposed to be evil and for good measure maybe give us a mode where the genders are swapped (and the abusive man is supposed to be evil).

Until then this is disgusting shit.

Leaving aside the debate of rape, abuse, tastelessness, and general disappointment, I'm going to say I loathe this game, this developer, and iTunes in general for something that nobody seems to have noticed.

First, head over to the game in question on iTunes (here's a link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/boyfriend-trainer/id445601028?mt=8) and take note of the following on the left side of the page where game information is listed: This game came out in October of last year. It took until the end of January before anyone in the media noticed it. Let's hear it for the speedy reaction, Internet!

Now look a little lower and take a good long look at the rating given to this game: 4+

Translating that from Apple rating into ESRB, this game has an E rating. That means a child can purchase this game for a buck and play it.

Mmmhmm.

Let me repeat myself with a bit more emphasis: Fuck you, Boyfriend Trainer. Fuck you, Games2Win India. And a hearty heigh-ho fuck you very much, iTunes, for giving those who hate games and everything games are a perfect example of how video games expose kids to content that is offensive.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked