Dynasty Warriors 8

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

So... I've been reading "The Romance of the Three Kingdoms" again... trying my best to get through the tough read by trying different version, (It's definitely going better now that certain names are correct and easier for me to identify) and it got me wondering when the next DW was going out.

So off to Google I ran, typed in "DW8" in hopes that I could be lazy... I could not. So... a pair of backspaces away, and I added "ynasty Warriors 8" before hitting enter.

Little did I realize how close the release actually is! So now I've been watching videos, clamoring for any bit of info I can get and periodically stopping into Gamestop for the official NA release.

I haven't been this excited for a game in a while, actually. I grew up with DW since playing the Campaign of Nanking on my PS1's Demo disc (Remember those!) over and over again till I got the full game that Christmas.

I have to say, I'm liking what I'm seeing, and frankly... I saw a video for Huang Gui's new weapon... "A boat" and nearly creamed my pants! Did I mention how I haven't been this excited for a game in a while? That video cranked it to 11.

Why! Oh why isn't there an official release so I can pay it off rather that put a down payment?

How about you? Excited? Burned out? What are you looking forward too?

Maybe this will get someone interested in the conversation...

Sorry, but while it looks good, it doesn't appear to have changed much from...any of the others. I know this is a money maker fo Koei, but RTK and the Warriors series' just seem to be much of the same, more Warriors than RTK for obvious reasons. Not my cup of tea I guess.

Granted, Warship Gunner 2 isn't all that much different.

I've never played a RTK games but I've played few DW games and I love them a lot and I would like to get DW7 and maybe tryout the Samurai Warrior games and Dynasty Gundam games as well.

I've been a fan of the series since Dynasty Warriors 2, having bought every game through to Dynasty Warriors 7 (and Samurai Warriors 1 & 2, Warriors Orochi 1 & 2 and Bladestorm), but unfortunately I'm not getting my hopes up for Dynasty Warriors 8 unless it's properly localised with English voice overs (which it many not do if WO3 is anything to go by).

For me, a lot of the appeal of the Dynasty Warriors series has been the diverse list of colourful characters, protagonists who's character is mostly conveyed by their voices. Without the usual and hammy English voice overs, the game loses most of it's character and soul... the Japanese voice overs sound bland, monotone and are largely indistinguishable to my ears at best (or painfully annoying in the cases of the high-pitched, mainly female Japanese voices).

Even if I could tolerate the Japanese voice overs and easily distinguish between each character, I would have trouble following the game as it would be difficult for me to pay proper attention to frequent subtitles (as there's a lot of banter the series) whilst concentrating on the action (which is funny because I actually quite like Japanese cinema and can happily follow a actual film with subtitles, just not video games or cartoons). Also, apparently the subtitling is quite lazy in Warriors Orochi 3 and doesn't fully convey the actual words or conversations being spoken in Japanese, or provides multiple different subtitles for the exact same spoken phrase.

I did actually download the Japanese Voice Over pack for Dynasty Warriors 7 to see if I could get on with them, but I couldn't at all, which is a shame for me, as this has been one of my favourite series, but if I can't understand the words and if all characters sound homogenised to me, then I wouldn't want to play it. I'd enjoy the gameplay, but it would be a shallow remnant of enjoyment I derived from previous games and ultimately an empty experience.

On a brighter note, Huang Gai's Iron Boat/Arm Blade weapon was released as DLC for Dynasty Warriors 7 and it's an awesome weapon. It's very overpowered and unbelievably silly, but it's a lot of fun if you don't mind being able to instantly kill 30+ peons and officers by surfing on a magically conjured wave.

More excited for DW7 Empires. It looks like the closest they've gotten to a perfect Romance/Dynasty warriors hybrid.

i can't wait for 8 i plan to play 7 again soon after i finish my .hack GU play through. i didn't mind the none english thing for wo3 having gotten used to it in record of agreast war series

Honestly, haven't really played the series since DW5? Maybe 4? I mean it was a lot of fun and it was a good game to play but DW didn't have the same draw for me to buy the same bloody game every year or when it came out. Nevermind the additions got to the point where it was just ridiculous and the other factor that made me stop playing is that when DW3 made multiplayer possible it just made it too fun to go back to playing the game alone.

I mean maybe if they started releasing the series on PC and have multiplayer that way it would be fun. I tried the MMO version of DW by Ariea and that was fun for a bit but it just didn't have enough content or modes to really make it fun to keep playing.

Also don't have a PS3 or Xbox360 and I'm not going to invest in those anytime soon.

I've been a huge Dynasty Warriors fan since I was kid. It's the series that got me into gaming. Unfortunately I don't have a PS3 and I can't buy it or Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires since I only have a 360. It seems to me that Koei is just passing us,360 gamers, by and just focusing on the PS3. If it was coming out on the 360 I would buy DW:8 and DWE:7 in a heartbeat.

*SIGH*

Dynasty Warriors gets an eigth entry....

While Kingdom Under Fire, the game that did what Dynasty Warriors never did/wouldn't do (integrate actual unit control and tactics with high count hack and slashery) struggles to get even one sequel of it's sort since the days of the original Xbox. Just ain't fair...

Glover09:
Sorry, but while it looks good, it doesn't appear to have changed much from...any of the others. I know this is a money maker fo Koei, but RTK and the Warriors series' just seem to be much of the same, more Warriors than RTK for obvious reasons. Not my cup of tea I guess.

Someone else actually played WG2?! I'm not so alone anymore!

Warship Gunner actually improved over Naval Ops, though; the graphics and combat flowed much much smoother, the building was less cantankerous as well. Granted, WG2 pretty much made gun heavy battleships the easiest thing in the world to win with, which saddened me...

Yes, I loved the Dyansty Warriors games since 4, but I did hate how they killed the models and weapons for characters in 6. I didnt get 7 but 8 maybe good enough for me to get addicted again..I wish they made the enemies a bit smarter anddidnt make the soldiers sound like asian chicks when they get smacked

GunsmithKitten:
*SIGH*

While Kingdom Under Fire, the game that did what Dynasty Warriors never did/wouldn't do (integrate actual unit control and tactics with high count hack and slashery) struggles to get even one sequel of it's sort since the days of the original Xbox. Just ain't fair...

Kingdom Under Fire was an awesome game, I still can't beat Kendal or Regnir's campaigns. To be fair I think they did try to what you're saying with Bladestorm: The Hundred Year War but it didn't get much attention though so I guess they didn't think it was worth it. Also whatever happened to Kingdom Under fire 3 did it get canned or something?

Vivec93:

GunsmithKitten:
*SIGH*

Kingdom Under Fire was an awesome game, I still can't beat Kendal or Regnir's campaigns. To be fair I think they did try to what you're saying with Bladestorm: The Hundred Year War but it didn't get much attention though so I guess they didn't think it was worth it. Also whatever happened to Kingdom Under fire 3 did it get canned or something?

Fell off the face of the Earth, i think.

And I actually don't HATE the Musou series, I had a great time with them up to about Samurai Warriors 2. It's just that when I played KuF: The Crusaders I yelled after an hour "I can actually keep control of my units, I can customize my army, I can use different weapons, why isn't Dynasty/Samurai Warriors doing stuff like this?!"

I used to love Dynasty Warriors, but kinda lost interest in the series this console generation. Maybe I've taken a long enough break to get back into the games though. Didn't they make a spinoff based on the Iliad instead of Romance of the Three Kingdoms? I would certainly be interested in trying that one. (Anyone out there know the name of it?)

For those curious all known information about DW8 can be found here along with the main website.

So far DW8 is shaping up to be DW7 but better in almost every way and I hope that's how it turns out.

GunsmithKitten:

Vivec93:

GunsmithKitten:
*SIGH*

Fell off the face of the Earth, i think.

And I actually don't HATE the Musou series, I had a great time with them up to about Samurai Warriors 2. It's just that when I played KuF: The Crusaders I yelled after an hour "I can actually keep control of my units, I can customize my army, I can use different weapons, why isn't Dynasty/Samurai Warriors doing stuff like this?!"

That's too bad that trailer they showed for it got me really hyped for it.

The Dynasty Warriors series for me is in the right place, although I wouldn't mind some changes every now just to keep things fresh. Dynasty Warriors is just one of those games where I don't have overthink it and just go crazy with it. It's one of the reasons I keep buying them as long it isn't exclusive for the PS3 like DWE: 7 and DW:8 are. If you do want something like Kingdom under Fire go for Bladestorm: The Hundred Year War made by the same people who did Dynasty Warriors. It's basically a poor mans KOF. Not much of an endorsement I know, but it's a good game.

Hmm I never did get into DW but then again the games were never sold in my local gameshops when I was younger. I loved me some Bladestorm though.

Might check this new one out one day.
Would I be missing anything if I don't play 1 - 7?

Not really too interested it seems like the series has gotten steady worse since after 4. Every new game seems to go away from the char specific mutsu mode to the faction mode which feels less cool and the cycle of buffing chars in one game and then making them crap in the next sucks also. id be more excited for a SW that's not on the Wii.

Beffudled Sheep:
Hmm I never did get into DW but then again the games were never sold in my local gameshops when I was younger. I loved me some Bladestorm though.

Might check this new one out one day.
Would I be missing anything if I don't play 1 - 7?

They all tell the same core story and the core gameplay is all the same (with the exception of DW1 which was a 2D fighting game). However, all the little nuances, individual stories, overall designs, some weapons, modes and a bunch of other details are different between all of the instalments. Most people seem to consider DW3 and 4 to be their favourites (4 is my personal favourite) so if you can find them I'd say give 'em a go. You should also check out DW5 if you get the chance; it improved on DW4 in many notable areas and has some of my favourite moments even if there were some things about it that were inferior to 4.

Also, if you liked Bladestorm you could check out the Kessen games which feature similar gameplay.

Glover09:

I thought WG2 was LOADS better then the other 'Navel Ops' series.

As much as I love the Dynasty Warrior formula and, I've played a few of the games (3 being the one I gave the most time too though I've also played a lot of 4), I'm much more excited for Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 (or: Shin Hokuto Musou ). I would be excited for One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 too if it was being released in my region. I was really into Romancde of the Thee Kingdoms for a while and the book is really difficult to get through. I couldn't get through it personally...

Speaking of anime reinterpretations of Dynasty Warriors though: I'd love to see a Vampire Hunter D and/or Berserk Warriors game come out. Then again I can't think of what characters would be made playable for those...Kenshin could be good too if not for the fact that the title character is against murder.

I was really into these games I think from 3-5ish, which were last gen I think. Don't remember playing them much on 360 though I may have. Was it 6, or 7 which I heard removed the option to pick and level your own character, instead making you play as one or another?

If 8 lets me pick my character again (always Sun Shang Xiang) and I can play through with just her, I'll pick it up. I have no interest in playing with the others because they don't have chakrams.

Ive been reading up on it for the last month on this site, there are some changes made to the standard formula so it should be ok. Its ok advertised for the PS3 so im really hoping they bring it out on 360 soon enough as well. This site has everything on it from all the new characters, weapons and changes to gameplay.

http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/6986755/1/#new

Also if you like the 3 kingdoms era. Check out the movie Red Cliff directed by John Woo which is about the battle of Chi Bi. Also if you have the choice get the extended version and not the theatrical version. Some awesome stuff in it, great action and great character sequences like Zhuge Liang and the arrows and the "tortoise" battle formation (no spoilers there).

KingsGambit:

If 8 lets me pick my character again (always Sun Shang Xiang) and I can play through with just her, I'll pick it up. I have no interest in playing with the others because they don't have chakrams.

Both DW7 and DW8 feature the weapon swap system which allows you to use two weapons and switch between them. Basically, every character can use the chakrams but only Sun Shangxiang gets bonuses with them and some characters are less effective than others.

ChupathingyX:

KingsGambit:

Both DW7 and DW8 feature the weapon swap system which allows you to use two weapons and switch between them. Basically, every character can use the chakrams but only Sun Shangxiang gets bonuses with them and some characters are less effective than others.

That's quite cool I guess, but it's not really enough. It's the two together really. Will 8 likely insist upon swapping between different characters, do you think?

KingsGambit:
That's quite cool I guess, but it's not really enough. It's the two together really. Will 8 likely insist upon swapping between different characters, do you think?

It most likely will, in fact, it's basically a given at this point.

In 7 you didn't get better rewards from playing at the higher difficulties, at least when I played it. Do you know whether they fixed that in 8?

ChupathingyX:

KingsGambit:

It most likely will, in fact, it's basically a given at this point.

Nice one man, thanks. Do you remember which was the first game in the series that did this? I ask because I am actually in the mood for a bit of DW now, but would prefer to just play the version before this feature became included.

KingsGambit:
Nice one man, thanks. Do you remember which was the first game in the series that did this? I ask because I am actually in the mood for a bit of DW now, but would prefer to just play the version before this feature became included.

DW7 was actually the first to do this.

DW6 featured the same kind of musou mode as DW5, however, DW6 is widely agreed by most people in the Musou community to be the worst one because it was basically an experiment by Koei to try out new things. Fortunately, it did do some things right and yielded some good results but the overall product felt rushed and incomplete (cut characters [1], small amount of battles and maps compared to DW5, cloned movesets, only some character even had a musou mode (those who didn't almost felt non existent in the game), more modern style "anime" designs [2] instead of quasi-historical ones, lack of extra modes and some other minor details.).

Give it a try if you want but expect to get a mixed opinion on everything.[3]

Bertylicious:
In 7 you didn't get better rewards from playing at the higher difficulties, at least when I played it. Do you know whether they fixed that in 8?

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you get better stat upgrades by playing on higher difficulties? Also, I think in DW7:XL you could only acquire certain weapons by playing on the higher difficulties.

[1] They cut the Nanman characters and army...the NANMAN!!! But they did bring Meng Huo back in DW6: Empires fortunately.
[2] Of course, character design opinions are extremely subjective.
[3] At least the soundtrack was still as good as it's always been.

Pretty much the game I am most excited about this year if it gets a western release date. I have been constantly checking the 2 facebook pages I like that post new stuff every week pretty much right when new info comes out. Really I just hope it is actually coming out in the states.

ChupathingyX:
For those curious all known information about DW8 can be found here along with the main website.

So far DW8 is shaping up to be DW7 but better in almost every way and I hope that's how it turns out.

And that's all I need, I love the Warriors franchise, nothing more satisfying then slashing your way through thousands of dudes.

SonOfVoorhees:
Also if you like the 3 kingdoms era. Check out the movie Red Cliff directed by John Woo which is about the battle of Chi Bi. Also if you have the choice get the extended version and not the theatrical version. Some awesome stuff in it, great action and great character sequences like Zhuge Liang and the arrows and the "tortoise" battle formation (no spoilers there).

That movie is awesome, that arrow scene made me laugh, so good.

ChupathingyX:

KingsGambit:

DW7 was actually the first to do this.

DW6 featured the same kind of musou mode as DW5, however, DW6 is widely agreed by most people in the Musou community to be the worst one because it was basically an experiment by Koei to try out new things. Fortunately, it did do some things right and yielded some good results but the overall product felt rushed and incomplete (cut characters [1], small amount of battles and maps compared to DW5, cloned movesets, only some character even had a musou mode (those who didn't almost felt non existent in the game), more modern style "anime" designs [2] instead of quasi-historical ones, lack of extra modes and some other minor details.).

Give it a try if you want but expect to get a mixed opinion on everything.[3]

Damn. Guess I have to dig out my original XBox games then and go back to 5. I don't understand why developers stray so far from the formula that makes their game what it is. Be experimental sure, but build on, don't change completely (this also goes to Hitman: Absolution). Or at least give us the OPTION of playing it the new way or the old way, like two SP campaigns, same levels but choice of character.

The only character I'd try apart from SSX was Lu Bu, but only because of the surprise with which all other characters always pronounce his name. A Bad-Arse so Bad that all the other Bad-Arses have to pause for a minute.

[1] They cut the Nanman characters and army...the NANMAN!!! But they did bring Meng Huo back in DW6: Empires fortunately.
[2] Of course, character design opinions are extremely subjective.
[3] At least the soundtrack was still as good as it's always been.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here