I feel cheated by the Budokai HD remake pack

I remember seeing months ago that Budokai Tenkaichi 1 and 3 were being made available on PS3 and 360 in a HD remake pack.

I saw it at the shops today and bought it straight away since BT3 is one of my favourite games.

Only to discover when I got home that it wasn't Budokai Tenkaichi, it was just the Budokai 1 and 3.

The budokai games are so average compared to the Tenakaichi series.

So naturally I was pissed off that I forked out money for a game I didn't want, and after some internet research i discovered that months ago it was wrongly advertised as a Tenkaichi remake...

Of course I'm the spastic who bought it without looking properly and presuming it was the game I wanted.

I still feel ripped off though. Especially since I was bragging to my younger brother about how good BT3 is to play, then we loaded it up and had the reaction 'was the hell is this crap?'

Just needed to vent about my horrible purchase. 40 dollars for a game I'm never going to play.

Why would they remake the Budokai games and not the insanely popular Tenkaichi games? It is hardly even Dragonball Z, its some 2D fighter where you just move across a screen and hit each other. BT3 has destructible environments, open maps with the ability to fly around them, epic move sets and gameplay.

/endcry

There there, it all gon b k.

I never played the Tenkaichi series but I was a big lover of Budokai 3. The reason being is it was one of the few fighting games out there that had a lot of strategy in it. Every ability in the game had a few counters to it but it required pinpoint precision and reflexes.

Not only that but all the characters were actually balanced pretty well even though in the previous two there were clearly superior ones. The only part about the game I didnt like was the rock paper scissors mechanic in Dragon rushes.

I dont think Im going to go buy it though because I still have a working PS2 and Budokai 3 disk

That aside if they didnt clearly mark that these were the Budokai games and not the Tenkaichi series you wanted then I would demand a refund. If they dont give it to you lodge a formal complaint with your bank, the company, and the better business bureau making it clear that you didnt get the product they told you you were getting

Tenkaichi was a pretty bad fighting game, you know...

It was a great Dragonball game, but a terrible fighting game. The controls were flaccid and simplistic and yet still convoluted as hell, and fights always devolve into boosting back and forth along the battlefield seeing who can get more potshots or super attacks in.

Windcaler:
I never played the Tenkaichi series but I was a big lover of Budokai 3. The reason being is it was one of the few fighting games out there that had a lot of strategy in it. Every ability in the game had a few counters to it but it required pinpoint precision and reflexes.

I would actually counter that Budokai 3 and Infinite World were so good because they were the opposite of that. You look at fighting games like BlazBlue, Street Fighter, Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom, Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat, etc. and there's always these extremely complicated control setups to do cancels and counters and throws and combo-cancel-counters and throw-counters and combo-special abilities and the smallest mistake will screw everything up, but especially in Budokai 3 and Infinite World, everything is very simple and presented right at your fingertips. Abilities have shortcuts so you don't need to combo into them, punch and kick combos don't require split-second reaction time, and throws aren't so devastatingly overpowered that you need to memorize how to break out of them.

Hell, the hardest part was probably figuring out how to charge up your Ki meter.

I always liked the 3D element the arenas had too. Side-stepping super attacks was fun/annoying (depending on if it was you or the opponent).

The coolest part of any of the Dragonball Z games was always whenever you managed to make a super attack collide with an opponent's super attack, though.

Can you just take it back to the store for a refund? If they don't want to accept it just lie and say the disc doesn't work or something.

I've always vastly preferred the Budokai games over the Tenkaichi series. Tenkaichi's camera was awkward as hell, there was far too much emphasis on cinematics and (as far I remember) you couldn't transform in the middle of battle.

Budokai on the other hand was a fun, easy to learn 3D fighter which is a nice break from the ridiculously inaccessible and needlessly convoluted fighters like SF and BB.

Milk:
I've always vastly preferred the Budokai games over the Tenkaichi series. Tenkaichi's camera was awkward as hell, there was far too much emphasis on cinematics and (as far I remember) you couldn't transform in the middle of battle.

Budokai on the other hand was a fun, easy to learn 3D fighter which is a nice break from the ridiculously inaccessible and needlessly convoluted fighters like SF and BB.

I think you could transform in Tenkaichi 2, I'm not entirely sure though.

OT: I want to get this solely for Budokai 3. I really don't know why 1 is even there.

shrekfan246:
Tenkaichi was a pretty bad fighting game, you know...

It was a great Dragonball game, but a terrible fighting game. The controls were flaccid and simplistic and yet still convoluted as hell, and fights always devolve into boosting back and forth along the battlefield seeing who can get more potshots or super attacks in.

Windcaler:

I would actually counter that Budokai 3 and Infinite World were so good because they were the opposite of that. You look at fighting games like BlazBlue, Street Fighter, Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom, Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat, etc. and there's always these extremely complicated control setups to do cancels and counters and throws and combo-cancel-counters and throw-counters and combo-special abilities and the smallest mistake will screw everything up, but especially in Budokai 3 and Infinite World, everything is very simple and presented right at your fingertips. Abilities have shortcuts so you don't need to combo into them, punch and kick combos don't require split-second reaction time, and throws aren't so devastatingly overpowered that you need to memorize how to break out of them.

Not that Im a fighting game expert but thinking back on when budokai 3 came out on the PS2 I dont think Blazblue was around, I think the last SF we got was 3, Marvel vs capcom 2 hadnt been released yet, Soul Calibur wasnt all that amazing anymore, and mortal kombat had fallen away into obscurity. If memory serves the popular fighting games were Tekken 4?, Marvel vs capcom, Budokai 3, and I think thats it.

now, I knew it wasn't Tenkaichi, and I still bought it just for Budokai 3 really, and I still think it's awesome, I'm sorry you didn't get what you wanted, but who knows? maybe they'll release a Tenkaichi collection in the future, and if they do I'll be getting that too

Hate to say it, but it's kinda your own fault for not reading the box carefully...

DalekJaas:
I remember seeing months ago that Budokai Tenkaichi 1 and 3 were being made available on PS3 and 360 in a HD remake pack.

I saw it at the shops today and bought it straight away since BT3 is one of my favourite games.

Only to discover when I got home that it wasn't Budokai Tenkaichi, it was just the Budokai 1 and 3.

The budokai games are so average compared to the Tenakaichi series.

Stopped reading there. Sorry bro, but Budokai 3 was by far one of, if not *the*, best fighting game on the PS2. I remember buying the first Tenkaichi, getting home to play it, thinking wtf is this horsecrap?, and returning it the next day.

I realize opinions are opinions and whatever, but this is definitely a "haha, oh wow" moment. If anything the reason why one should be angry about the Budokai HD collection is because it didn't include Budokai 2 which had some unique transformations and a unique single player campaign

MajorTomServo:
Hate to say it, but it's kinda your own fault for not reading the box carefully...

My thoughts exactly. Did he not even look at the box properly, like any normal person would?

By the way, I think Budokai 3 was the best DBZ fighting game there has been, the Tenkaichi games were okay, but I found them to be not as polished. Close combat was kind of a joke, and unless you fired off a beam/blast attack quite close, you were never going to hit etc.

I got the HD Collection for christmas and was playing for the first time and I fucking love Budokai 3 now.

I'm actually gunna try the Tenkaichi games just because I wanna see what it's like having so many characters.

But Budokai 3 is great for someone like me who is terrible at the combos of fighting games. It's so subtely deep. There's much to be done with very few buttons.
Very nice to enter a threa where these thoguhts are echoed.

imahobbit4062:

OT: I want to get this solely for Budokai 3. I really don't know why 1 is even there.

Should have been Budokai 2 with it's boardgame schtick, fantasy fusions and whatnot.

Windcaler:
Not only that but all the characters were actually balanced pretty well even though in the previous two there were clearly superior ones.

No, not really.

Some characters blatantly starting with 10-20% more attack power and way higher base Ki is not "balanced", not to mention all the transformations that can boost you up to 140%, even 180%, and some people having simply far more damaging ultimates and specials. And that's not even going to differences in basic moves

Not saying it's bad though, it's by far my favorite fighter on PS2, but when I played Shin Budokai on PSP, that was when the series tried to go towards some kind of balance (even with the 2 major exceptions, Ssj2 Teen Gohan and Broly)

I much prefer Budokai 3 over any of the other games. It was essentially the game that defined the series in reference to Exploration, item purchasing, and general character roster.

Norrdicus:

Windcaler:
Not only that but all the characters were actually balanced pretty well even though in the previous two there were clearly superior ones.

No, not really.

Some characters blatantly starting with 10-20% more attack power and way higher base Ki is not "balanced", not to mention all the transformations that can boost you up to 140%, even 180%, and some people having simply far more damaging ultimates and specials. And that's not even going to differences in basic moves

The balance is actually pretty good when you take the capsule slots into account. Any transformations one character can make can easily be countered with the appropriate set of capsules with any other character. I recall making a Nappa rival SSJ4 Gogeta in terms of raw attack power.

Also the "base key" thing is a bit of a double edged sword. Yes, a high base key allows you to charge up quicker and use ki attacks more frequently however it limits how much more you can power up past your base power. (each level you power up past base key you get +2% attack power)

It's not perfect by any means but it's not nearly as bad as one would expect.

This is really your own fault for not looking at the game you bought, a quick inspection would've shown that the word Tenkaichi was not on the cover.

Still the Budokai games were great fun, I loved the Tenkaichi series as well, but at its core Tenkaichi was a horrible fighter, I can admit that.

It's called the "Budokai HD" remake. Not "Budokai Tenkaichi HD" remake. Your own fault.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked