EVO raises U$ 200.000 fund for breast cancer research

EVO held a donation drive to determine the game that would be in the 8th tournament slot, all the proceeds were donated to th Breast Cancer Research Foundation. The game community who raised more money would take the 8th slot.

The champion was Super Smash Melee with 92k, followed by Skullgirls with 75k and Street Fighter Super Turbo with 30k. The total amount passed 200k.

It was a pretty tough competition between Smashers and Skulls with lots of hype, sportsmen and trolls.

But it was this rivalry that managed to raise so much funds. Also, I think that overall the two communities grew closer.

Ah, bonus for Skullgirls fans (like me).

Man, the past few days have been ridiculous. The amount of effort being put into this drive by the fighting game communities was staggering.

I was especially astounded by the Skullgirls movement. The concerted effort of the Skullgirls team and the Skullgirls community was simply inspiring. I would never have guessed $75 000 to come from such a (seemingly) small but very passionate community. What an incredible effort. I am so proud of the Skullgirls community, and I am in love with the entire Skullgirls development team. Mike Z, you are the man. Skullgirls' future looks brighter than ever before.

Big props to everyone for donating over $200k towards breast cancer research, and congratulations to the Smash community for donating a whopping $92k!

Razentsu:
Man, the past few days have been ridiculous. The amount of effort being put into this drive by the fighting game communities was staggering.

I was especially astounded by the Skullgirls movement. The concerted effort of the Skullgirls team and the Skullgirls community was simply inspiring. I would never have guessed $75 000 to come from such a (seemingly) small but very passionate community. What an incredible effort. I am so proud of the Skullgirls community, and I am in love with the entire Skullgirls development team. Mike Z, you are the man. Skullgirls' future looks brighter than ever before.

Big props to everyone for donating over $200k towards breast cancer research, and congratulations to the Smash community for donating a whopping $92k!

Not bad for a "dead franchise", eh?

Curiosity, did the Escapist say anything about this?

Kudos to all involved. The final tally is truly staggering. It will be interesting to see how Smash fits in at EVO given that the communities for Smash and the majority of the FGC don't always see eye to eye.

Grahav:

I'm not sure that any major gaming media source has. I'd like to think it's just because the donation deadline only passed very recently.. but it's also likely a function of it not being as "newsworthy" as something like sexist comments made by a minority of the fighting game community.

StriderShinryu:
Kudos to all involved. The final tally is truly staggering. It will be interesting to see how Smash fits in at EVO given that the communities for Smash and the majority of the FGC don't always see eye to eye.

Grahav:

I'm not sure that any major gaming media source has. I'd like to think it's just because the donation deadline only passed very recently.. but it's also likely a function of it not being as "newsworthy" as something like sexist comments made by a minority of the fighting game community.

Ah, the same as always. According to some people: Liking and drawing sexy female bodies = sexist asshole.

It will be ironic if it was because of accusations of sexism, because the donation drive was towards a research for counters against a disease that affects women.

Grahav:

StriderShinryu:

Grahav:

Ah, the same as always. According to some people: Liking and drawing sexy female bodies = sexist asshole.

It will be ironic if it was because of accusations of sexism because the donation drive was towards research for counters against a disease that affects women.

Absolutey. Team Spooky, a well known fighting game streaming team, and the Kings of Poverty did a donation drive a few months back for an abused women's shelter and that raised, if I recall correctly, in the neighbourhood of $10,000 but that got no exposure either. One FGC member makes on stream comments about his thoughts on females in the FGC, though, and it hits every gaming news site within hours.

StriderShinryu:

Grahav:

StriderShinryu:

It will be ironic if it was because of accusations of sexism because the donation drive was towards research for counters against a disease that affects women.

Absolutey. Team Spooky, a well known fighting game streaming team, and the Kings of Poverty did a donation drive a few months back for an abused women's shelter and that raised, if I recall correctly, in the neighbourhood of $10,000 but that got no exposure either. One FGC member makes on stream comments about his thoughts on females in the FGC, though, and it hits every gaming news site within hours.

Kudos for the Spookies and the Kings. I didn't know about this.

It is sad, isn't it?

Grahav:

StriderShinryu:

Grahav:

Kudos for the Spookies and the Kings. I didn't know about this.

It is sad, isn't it?

Yep. It was mainly a multiple game speed run tournament, so it wasn't even specifically fighting game oriented. And I was slightlty off on the donation recipients; it was the Rape Abuse and Incest National Network that received the $10000ush in donations. You can search Youtube for Kings of Poverty and RAINN if you want to check it out in an archived version.

Stuff like this makes me so proud to be a gamer...

EVO just went up a couple of notches in my book. As for Smash being the 8th game instead of Skullgirls, you can literally row in my river of salt:-P

FFP2:
Stuff like this makes me so proud to be a gamer...

EVO just went up a couple of notches in my book. As for Smash being the 8th game instead of Skullgirls, you can literally row in my river of salt:-P

I am upset too, but:

Respect.

Grahav:

I am upset too, but:

Respect.

That why I love the FGC- in the end they are all capable of doing something amazing together.

And it's one of the best examples of people getting along regardless of sex, race or reigion.

P.S Imagine if all the gaming communities (I know about FPS communities, talking about other genres) did something like this once in a while. We could really make a difference.

P.P.S I wonder how many news stations will mention this...

FFP2:

Grahav:

I am upset too, but:

Respect.

That why I love the FGC- in the end they are all capable of doing something amazing together.

And it's one of the best examples of people getting along regardless of sex, race or reigion.

P.S Imagine if all the gaming communities (I know about FPS communities, talking about other genres) did something like this once in a while. We could really make a difference.

P.P.S I wonder how many news stations will mention this...

Shoryuken and Kotaku mentioned.

Or are you mentioning overall news like BBC and FOX?

Grahav:

Shoryuken and Kotaku mentioned.

Or are you mentioning overall news like BBC and FOX?

I was talking about the "news" stations that think all we do is kill people.

Ah, those!

This is annoying here in Brazil also, but not as much as in the first world countries.

But, yeah. From what I know of them, don't expect anything.

Yeah heard about this a little while ago fair play to all involved I was hoping CVSNK2 would win or failing that Skullgirls but it seems some people really wanted smash brothers there, werent they getting a few single donations of 10k whenever Smash brothers was falling behind?

Some rich people (person) really wanted smash to win im glad KOFXIII will be at EVO though I cant play the game for crap but it is awesome. Will be interesting to see if there is actually a big smash turnout.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked