What setting would you like to see the next Assassin's Creed

The title says it. It also doesn't have to cannon, like Assassin's Creed 3: Liberations
I would love to see Ancient Greece or Ancient Rome. Yeah, there's God of War, but I would like to see what Ancient Greece or Ancient Rome would like through the eye's of an assassin, and experience events like Gladiator fights, the death of Julius Ceaser, the fall of the Rome empire. It would also make an interesting world to explore.

well they already did Rome, so I doubt they are going to do it again. Personally I am voting for ancient china or japan, there has got to be a piece of eden around there somewhere right? or WW1 europe

They should really do Ancient Rome at some point, as it would contrast really well to Brotherhood where the city is totally in decay. It would also be quite a safe investment for them as it was probably the best game of the series.

I would like to see a pirate at some point, and possibly something completely different like the minoans or incans.

I'm less concerned with the setting and more concerned with the drop in quality.

Brotherhood was the apex of the series, and it's just gotten worse since then.

I couldn't even get a quarter of the way through AC3.

OT: Victorian London.

Female Assassin.

Voiced by Jennifer Hale.

Make it so.

If they stay in the same time period, we could have the French Revolution. Could be pretty rad. Plus we could run into Connor. And kill him, because dude was such an asshole. He made my brother stop playing A Creed. My brother loves those games. So, any chance he could go Templar? Or maybe go full grey morality and have a Templar's Creed?

I'd like to see an Assassin's Creed set in China. Specifically regarding the Qin dynasty and perhaps it's fall of power and dominion.

From wiki:

Three assassination attempts were made on Qin Shihuang's life leading him to become paranoid and obsessed with immortality. He died in 210 BC, while on a trip to the far eastern reaches of his empire in an attempt to procure an elixir of immortality from Taoist magicians, who claimed the elixir was stuck on an island guarded by a sea monster.

^Man that sounds like an Assassin's Creed goldmine to me. Plus the locale of China would be a fresh setting.

I just hope that if this were to happen, it would actually be about Assassinations and stuff.

I only played the first Assasins' Creed.

I tried out the second, but didn't like it, you know how in Bioshock and FEAR 2 there's this annoying pause between moving the mouse and the camera moving, which is too short to see but long enough to really feel?

I was able to put up with it in FEAR 2 and Bioshock, because in them you can still aim in roughly the right direction, and then do the rest of the aiming by running.

But in Assasins' Creed 2, it made feats of agility really awkward.

If it weren't for that clunky camera problem, AC in China would be really cool.

Maybe the Victorian period, during the Opium War?

I'd also love to see a GTA: Baghdad or GTA: Mumbai btw

Also it'd be really cool to see Ubisoft cross AC with Splinter Cell, with a splinter cells' field operative discovering the Assasins', faking his death, and working for them.

I'd kind of wonder what they'd do with AC if they slapped the next installment into 1990's, into the Balkans clusterfuck. Slobodan Milosevic was a Templar, I tell you!

I'm going to say what I always say when this thread comes up: Elizabethan London. You've got an aging queen on the throne with no clear line of succession who's being plotted against by Spanish and Catholic agents, all of London in its crowded and casually violent glory, and all kinds of historical figures (including Shakespeare).

Vegosiux:
I'd kind of wonder what they'd do with AC if they slapped the next installment into 1990's, into the Balkans clusterfuck. Slobodan Milosevic was a Templar, I tell you!

Considering the fact that he was captured by the big forces of the West, it wouldn't surprise me if Ubisoft made him out to be an Assassin. Best stay clear of that part of the world. It's never peaceful there.

I'd like AC set in feudal Japan. Just imagine an Assassin order of ninjas! We need a free roaming ninja game damn it!

Ancient Egypt.
I mean, we already know there's an Egyptian assassin, right? And the tombs/ perfect climbing architecture are well established. Plus, it's a visually and conceptually rare setting in videogames.
Akhenaten/akhenamun would work well for a Big Bad, too. Legendary villain, possibly creepy appearance, collusion of religious splinter group, exile for old order, and a brave son (Tutankhaten) who even historically reversed his father's changes! You couldn't ask for a better yarn.

Adam Jensen:

Vegosiux:

Considering the fact that he was captured by the big forces of the West, it wouldn't surprise me if Ubisoft made him out to be an Assassin. Best stay clear of that part of the world. It's never peaceful there.

Myeah well but he was the "Great Serbia" guy. But, right now it's relatively peaceful...I mean yeah, there's always some tension, but at least there's not been a mass slaughter in a while...it's actually rather pretty in these parts in peace time, the land is scenic and beautiful, and there's some interesting architecture that an AC protagonist could use to show off their greater parkour skills, too.

Swear we've had this discussion before... and any possibility of a new AC game is moot because...

Anyway, if there was... continue with the period for ACIII, but transfer it to Europe (same character or son, or something, I don't care, I just want to kill French people).

In fact, I'll quote from the last time I answered one of these threads, 'cos I'm so much better at verbalising thoughts than me... -_-

Before I launch into this spiel, I'll just make a note that fuck the setting, it's not about the setting, it's about the number of viable historically known characters (or variants thereof for the sake of dramatic licence) who make good assassination targets. This is why ACB was OK at best and ACR was kinda shit. Virtually any setting can be made well as far as free-running and combat/assassination gameplay, but not that many have a decent enough range of assassination targets.

CrimsonBlaze:
The French Revolultion. That is all.

Fiz_The_Toaster:
The French Revolution was be a pretty awesome time period to explore since it would fit nicely with what Ubisoft has been doing with the series.

AsurasEyes:
I'd go with Yahtzee and say the French Revolution because that does seem legitimately more interesting than the Revolution.

There you go... enough support for the Revolutionary Wars...

Though @AsurasEyes... a potential follow on point is that ACIII and the French Revoution occur close enough to each other that you can have a follow on. Sure it'd be old Connor, but age didn't stop Ezio.

Personally, I'd prefer to have a new character (a Huguenot still accepted by the Catholic majority), arranges for the capture of the Royal family (prologue & training missions), gets hustled out and saved by a Brit/Prussian (game start proper & macguffin for main story). Then, the character starts taking apart (or at least tries to) the Revolutionary government (Robespierre, Babeuf, Darthe, Marat etc. even though some of the methods would be ahistorical or contrived, but hey, it's a game, damnit), whether by planting evidence, meddling in their trials or plain up killing them (whether privately for the sake of dignity or whatever justification). You can include an attempt on Napoleon's life at some point (weave it into the Nile campaign in the Mediterranean sea when Nelson was dispatched to chase the convoy down) only it naturally fails. But here, the character can be covering as a frigate captain and trade shots with the French fleet before turning back to Nelson. On that note, fast forward to the Battle of Trafalgar, officer on HMS Victory, tries to prevent the marine from Redoubtable taking that shot.

Launch into the Penninsular War and act as Wellington's intelligence chief (though a different person IRL, can't remember his name). Either that, or if the character gets taken in by the Prussians, can help with the resistance to the 1812 invasion of Russia and the lead in to the Battle of Leipzig. Either way, slowly, but surely, the character takes down les Marshals de France (needs a bit of thought, but potential targets: Ney, Brune, de la Bedoyere, Bessieres, Poniatowski, Murat & Berthier) and a few generals here and there on the way.

Game ends with a visit to St Helena as an interior decorator! XD

So all in all... I DEMAND MY NAME-DROPPING!! -_-

Perhaps we can even have him named Thomas Plunket (cookie to whoever gets this).

ShadowRatchet92:
The title says it. It also doesn't have to cannon, like Assassin's Creed 3: Liberations
I would love to see Ancient Greece or Ancient Rome. Yeah, there's God of War, but I would like to see what Ancient Greece or Ancient Rome would like through the eye's of an assassin, and experience events like Gladiator fights, the death of Julius Ceaser, the fall of the Rome empire. It would also make an interesting world to explore.

i am less concerned about where the game takes place and more concerned about how lame AC3 was in general. connor was a douche (laytham was MUCH more interesting), the famous members from history make blink appearances and then disappear entirely, the main antagonists final fights are completely stupid (in one you don't get to make the final kill! it's in a cinematic. the fuck!?), the number of contrivances made my head swim, some of the in-game glitches were inexcusable, the ending was way out in left field (but that is par for the course in this series) and the series seems to be forgetting that i am an assassin, not a ship captain or field marshal or home builder or whatever other profession they tried to shoe horn connor into.

ubisoft needs to look back at AC2 and remember why that is the best game in the series and go back to that model. to paraphrase ZP: bring back the stabby stabby.

The Cold War. Maybe not for AC4, but for one in the future. I think it's an awesome setting and not explored enough, only decent cold war game I can think of is Black Ops.

Victorian London would be cool but even better pre great fire of London 1666, the city was made of wooden medieval & Tudor buildings all built very close together and maze like, just what an assassin game needs.

Plus there's very little evidence as to what most of the city looked like only that some of the buildings were ornatley carved, so it allows the devs lots of leeway with the design.

Or modern Mexico City and it's slums. Brick buildings built close together with no space for roads. It's transit system is a cable car network

Or possibly modern Shanghia. From what I've heard its a very vertical city, lots of walk ways linking sky scrapers / high rise buildings.

I heard the ending to Revelations was amazing, and reached it a few nights ago. As it was utter, utter shite, the setting for the next Assassins Creed should be where Assassins Creed III should be in my opinion - somewhere I dont have to see it or hear about it.

Daystar Clarion:
I'm less concerned with the setting and more concerned with the drop in quality.

I couldn't even get a quarter of the way through AC3.

OT: Victorian London.

Female Assassin.

Voiced by Jennifer Hale.

Make it so.

Bam Victorian London and thus I was ninjad. Though I'd rather a variety of cities in the UK during the industrial revolution, more built up areas, such as glasgow or manchester, would be well fitting.

Ac3 was dreadful. The environment was flat and dull, I spent too much time on the ground and to little time on rooftops and stabbing people.

Tom_green_day:
The Cold War. Maybe not for AC4, but for one in the future. I think it's an awesome setting and not explored enough, only decent cold war game I can think of is Black Ops.

The only "decent" cold war game you can think of is Call of Duty: Black Ops.

Really?

I'm slightly disappointed in you but not surprised with The Escapist being as it is.

WW1 would be cool. I am just hoping they finally get their act together and make it all about being a assassin again. The series really went downhill after the first for me. all the junk they add just makes it a unfocused mess.

Mostly modern/slightly futuristic city along the Meditteraneon (good mix of hi-tech against a older style city backdrop, much like the later Bourne films). Maybe 30% in the past, so a few flashbacks to ancient Greece or Feudal Japan.

Feudal Japan, I've been bitching about this for a very long time, and Ubisoft's "Oh the setting is too generic" cop-out response is plain annoying.

The presence of overt assassins can be easily justified, and since pieces of Eden can be swords, a katana with god-like powers would be bitching.

Kill Bill-esque duels could replace the current, tired and rather dull combat system.

Also, the last game I remember that was set in Feudal Japan(AAA game) was Shogun 2:Fall of the Samurai; I severely doubt that the setting is overused and that Ubisoft just want to keep the games western for whatever bloody reason.

JUST DO IT ALREADY.

Daystar Clarion:

I DISAGREE!MUHAHAHAHA!

But seriously, how come?I've always thought that Brotherhood was seen as the middle child of the series, due to the weaker story and lack of any significant events(save for the ending).

Its only cause the game became less about assassination, and granted, the engine did get better and viewpoints became more awesome, I preferred it when there was only you, a target, and a hidden blade.

I still think that Assassin's Creed I is the best in the series just because of how immersive it is, and the fact that there is no money involved at any point as a core mechanic.

Seriously, its absolutely goddamn pointless, and weird.

CAPTCHA: Jerry built

Eh, a WWII setting would be quite bland and I can't imagine any assassination opportunities, save for the obvious one.

You guys do realize that A: There weren't any assasins/ templars before the crusades. B: The settings move closer to the future with every game. So they can't really go pre American revolution again? C: There should be a genetic link between the avatar and Desmond. It isn't believable that Desmond had any ancestors from Japan or say pre 18th century china.
Best setting would be China during the boxer rebelion. The spectacular collaps of one of the greatest and longest standing way of governing. It would be perfect for the Templars to be behind it all, trying to tackle the powers behind the chinese dynasties and taking their place.

ShadowRatchet92:

Liberations is canon.

The Present Day should be more important in the next installment, seeing as what happened at the end of AC3. As for the historical setting: EDEN.

Tohuvabohu:
I'd like to see an Assassin's Creed set in China. Specifically regarding the Qin dynasty and perhaps it's fall of power and dominion.

From wiki:

Three assassination attempts were made on Qin Shihuang's life leading him to become paranoid and obsessed with immortality. He died in 210 BC, while on a trip to the far eastern reaches of his empire in an attempt to procure an elixir of immortality from Taoist magicians, who claimed the elixir was stuck on an island guarded by a sea monster.

^Man that sounds like an Assassin's Creed goldmine to me. Plus the locale of China would be a fresh setting.

I just hope that if this were to happen, it would actually be about Assassinations and stuff.

Quite a reasonable chance of a new game's setting to be China; Embers already showed the ideas that could come with such a setting(Foot-blade,Jade Empire type hand to hand combat).

I just hope it isn't Brazil set in the present; the little segment in ACIII was boring as hell, maybe if he series took a grittier direction, ie, the assassins working to take down gangs & drug lords, but that's unlikely. However, an Incan era game would be quite awesome.

rutger5000:
You guys do realize that A: There weren't any assasins/ templars before the crusades.

The lore is quite explicit in hinting to the Assassins and Templars being much older. Cain and Abel older.

B: The settings move closer to the future with every game. So they can't really go pre American revolution again? C: There should be a genetic link between the avatar and Desmond. It isn't believable that Desmond had any ancestors from Japan or say pre 18th century china.

Someone hasn't finished the game.

Best setting would be China during the boxer rebelion. The spectacular collaps of one of the greatest and longest standing way of governing. It would be perfect for the Templars to be behind it all, trying to tackle the powers behind the chinese dynasties and taking their place.

That would be cool, which goes without saying. The only iffy suggestions are WWI and WWII. Not because they couldn't be used in interesting ways, but because those settings are so over exposed in videogames anyway.

Coppernerves:
I only played the first Assasins' Creed.

I tried out the second, but didn't like it, you know how in Bioshock and FEAR 2 there's this annoying pause between moving the mouse and the camera moving, which is too short to see but long enough to really feel?

I was able to put up with it in FEAR 2 and Bioshock, because in them you can still aim in roughly the right direction, and then do the rest of the aiming by running.

But in Assasins' Creed 2, it made feats of agility really awkward.

If it weren't for that clunky camera problem, AC in China would be really cool.

Maybe the Victorian period, during the Opium War?

I'd also love to see a GTA: Baghdad or GTA: Mumbai btw

Also it'd be really cool to see Ubisoft cross AC with Splinter Cell, with a splinter cells' field operative discovering the Assasins', faking his death, and working for them.

I think the only correct answer to this question is space, therefore the franchise has nowhere further to go and can finish, i can't say i dislike the games even though i haven't played 3 yet, but it should be the end soon right?

I say they they find the minority of guys who want to write sci-fi that are among the numerous people who want to write historical fiction and let them make there own game. Go balls to the wall with the sci-fi elements and make a fantasy game based around the creation of the human race in the Assassin's Creed timeline.

Feudal Japan.

Ninja vs. Samurai vs. Templar (Gaijin)

I'm going to join the choir for the the Victorian London. It provides unique locations to climb on, and a lot of buildings for which to parkour on, and if anyplace would have Templars, it would be England. There are a lot of other good things about it as well, for example, it's a big city, so it could just be set there, just like Brotherhood was set in rome, so there wouldn't be any traveling between cities, which i didn't appreciate in the series. Seriously, it's perfect for AC; it's after the crusades, lots of parkour on building most people recognize, easily invented plot, probably involving the royal family and so on.

Ancient India would be very interesting. They could recreate the Mughal Empire.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here