if you could erase ONE game from your memory to play it for the first time again...

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

very few people I've talked to have one difinitive favourite game, always a top 5 or 10, but imagine that you were given the chance to take one of those journeys for the first time all over again, (all you forget is the events of the game, you remember your decision to erase them from your memory, and the reason why)

basically which one would you pick?

part of me wants to say "The Walking Dead" it's just not the same when you know the outcome

but also I might go with "Final Fantasy VII" just to see if I would enjoy it as much without the benefit of nostalgia

actually no, I've decided instead it should be "Tenchu 2, Birth of the Stealth Assassins" I loved that story when I was a kid, I spent so many hours on that game, I'd love to get to know it all over again.

so yeah what would yours be? I know I named 3 but that's just how hard it is to choose, feel free to name as many as occur to you and why

For me it would have to be Mass Effect. Playing it for the first time has to be one of my favorite gaming memories.

Metroid Prime, just because I've never been able to truly play it without any knowledge of it. I had a strategy guide for Metroid Fusion and Metroid Prime, years before I would get Prime, that I read many times over. When I did finally get a Gamecube and play Metroid Prime, I already knew what was going to happen most of the time. It was still an incredible experience (and I still replay it regularly), but it would be nice to go into it completely blind.

New Vegas, though it's a close contest with Skyrim and Fallout 3.

Dark souls . That game was so deliciously frustrating . I would do anything to be able to play that game again as if it was my first time . The hours of difficulty whilst not knowing what i was doing was great .

I think Heavy Rain. Now that I've played it multiple times through and learned all the opportunities where characters can die, it's a lot less immersive. The first time I played it though, I was on the edge of my seat for a good deal of it. I wish I could experience that again.

To the Moon. That's pretty easy. Second place might be Walking Dead, but I could also see taking a hard look at Planescape Torment.

Okami. I know this because those were my exact thoughts while playing it for a second time.

Okay I'd be indecisive... Either the first KOTOR or both(can I do both? =p) Arkham games, if not both arkham games then it becomes even more complicated but Asylum was a somewhat normal Batman story while City was brutally shocking.

Dark Souls probably. Dat 80+ hour experience.

Skyrim.

Seriously, that game was awesome.

Amnesia. By the time I got around to playing it myself I'd already watched LPs of it and everything. I would love to go in blind.

The Longest Journey is a journey I only wish had never ended or that I could experience again with the same element of mystery that it had the first time I played through it.

Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus. The whole series. Absolutely love that series and would easily play it for the first time, again.

Metal Gear Solid. This time, I would save Meryl first instead of Otacon.

Bioshock: Rapture is a place you want to experience again and again and every time be it's first.

Dark Souls: Not knowing what I'm doing and getting lost in the game was what made it great the first time.

Shit, there are so many I am torn about.

The Longest Journey and Grim Fandangit are up there, of course. Katawa Shoujo is a possible. Psychonauts and Majora's Mask are definitely candidates.

Gonna have to second New Vegas.

The first time I played through it, I basically ruined the entire experience by searching all the quest endings to see which ones would give the best rewards (I know, I'm an absolutely horrible person). It'd be fun to do it blind to feel like my choices actually had value to them.

Aeonxan:
For me it would have to be Mass Effect. Playing it for the first time has to be one of my favorite gaming memories.

Same here, that feeling is something special.

Oly J:

part of me wants to say "The Walking Dead" it's just not the same when you know the outcome

It's even worse when the outcome was spoiled for you just as you're about to start episode 2......and on these very forums no less.

Fucking idiots not using spoiler tags..*grumble*

Hmm......The only recent game that I would pick would have to be Xenoblade Chronicles. Jesus feckin' Christ had it been so long when I played a good JRPG before Xenoblade. I actually think that if I waited more then the game would just have been a lot better for me.

Another magnificent choice would have either been the Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask, but that also brings up the question. Would it be as magnificent for me right now as it was 12 years ago?

Fallout 2, its just not the same when you know where exactly you need to go to find great weapons and armor. The first (well several) playthroughs you felt like a scavenger in an unforgiving wasteland where your death could come at any moment.

It was probably the only game I have ever played where you don't immediately leap in to help someone in distress, because theres a good chance you'll just get yourself killed. For example you could encounter slavers capturing a group of innocent people. Instead of leaping to their defense and slaying all evil doers because your the hero, you simply flee so you don't get captured or killed yourself.

krazykidd:
Dark souls . That game was so deliciously frustrating . I would do anything to be able to play that game again as if it was my first time . The hours of difficulty whilst not knowing what i was doing was great .

i agree with this 1000%. the first time i laid eyes on the stray demon in the beginning, i said to myself, "is it going to have this kind of scale the whole time?". i was right. one of the best part of dark souls is that its story is designed so that you can talk about it, as there is no spoilers (the game barely has a noticeable story, takes a lot of digging to find it). im currently fighting gwyn (playthrough 1), anyone have any tips? message me or reply in this thread!

I think i'd have to pick Deus Ex.

The obvious answer is Persona 4.

I would give anything to hear that iconic battle tune for the first time again.

And to re-experience all the feels that the game gave me.

Morsomk:
-snip-

This has nothing to do with the thread, but I see that you're new here and I would like to say... *clears throat*

Welcome to The Escapist, friend! :D I also wanted to say that I love dat Game Grump "Zigzagoon Used Growl" avatar you got there.

Elder Scrolls III Morrowind without a doubt the greatest game ever and i would love to exprience playing it for my first time again.

FFVII I didn't really like it because I played it rather recently. I knew every plot point before it was coming. If i experienced it blind I most certainly would have enjoyed it more.

Spec Ops: The Line. I went into the game sort of expecting it to deliver the punch that it does, but if I could erase it from my memory, I could experience it to its fullest impact.

Going to go with Muv Luv Alternative to enjoy the thrill of not knowing what was going to happen

FF7/BOF4 were the first RPGs I played...great memories. There are a lotta close games tho.

The walking dead. Absolutely would erase it form my mind to experience all the emotion i had while watching it (a friend played it while i watched.) Red Dead Redemption and borderlands 2 would be 2 others i would happily replay without remembering.

neonsword13-ops:
The obvious answer is Persona 4.

I would give anything to hear to that iconic battle tune for the first time again.

And to re-experience all the feels that the game gave me.

Morsomk:
-snip-

This has nothing to do with the thread, but I see that you're new here and I would like to say... *clears throat*

Welcome to The Escapist, friend! :D I also wanted to say that I love dat Game Grump "Zigzagoon Used Growl" avatar you got there.

Ohh thanks for that.

Yeah, I probably didn't give a proper answer did I?
But the thing is, if you pick one game and for some people that would be their favorite game they played ages ago, you cannot deny that the experience will be different. The original poster did not mention if you could experience the same experience(lolwut?) that you experienced(ok this is getting silly) back when you first played that game.

What I sort of presumed was the fact that we would be playing this particular game right now, with all of the knowledge of other/similar games that would affect our judgement of the particular game, it would undoubtedly make a lot of difference for some people.
Xenoblade and the two Zelda game that I gave as answer were given because I presumed that this was the question he was asking us.

Grim Fandango. It frustrates me that no-one before has mentioned this game.

Mass Effect 3 and then never play it in the first place, Ah a return to the halcyon days of not knowing how much Bioware sucked at everything..

Fallout 3, I love the capital wasteland but it's no longer enjoyable once you've done everything there is to do. It blew me away when I first played it (was my first RPG)and I'd love to have that again.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked